NT School me on Arab-American culture

Originally Posted by retr0sxual

My Arabic friends on Facebook write some crazy %@+%.

Stuff like, "3ank" and "5aair". Those are words.

LOL i asked my boy about this..they aren't words per say..they switched the language on their comp/keyboard to arabic... just play some house music orstart kickin around a soccer ball and they'll come over on their own with the hookah.

Man I saw this dude at the bar, went up and said hello and he invited my whole crew back to his place. Drank and smoked hookah till like 530am, during thenight he was like "have you ever tried arabic food?" and proceeded to tell me about chicken with rice. He was like "2 o'clock, you guys comeback and eat"
eek.gif
pimp.gif

Shower up at 2, he had a HUGE platter of it and we grubbed. It was real cool cause we sat on the floor and they were like we usually all eat off the same thingbut if you want your own plate it's no problem. I can't master the eating with my hands...had to use a spoon but all in all it was a really goodexperience. Very good guys.

From what I gathered last night they went to school another place in Michigan for like 6 months and that's the only time they've been in the US,they're originally from Saudi Arabia

Originally Posted by BrOwNiN187

Originally Posted by retr0sxual

My Arabic friends on Facebook write some crazy %@+%.

Stuff like, "3ank" and "5aair". Those are words.

LOL i asked my boy about this..they aren't words per say..they switched the language on their comp/keyboard to arabic... just play some house music or start kickin around a soccer ball and they'll come over on their own with the hookah.
yo I had no idea soccer was so big there, we watched the Saudi finals on tv today (via internet) the two teams that were playing were the citieswhere they were from and they were HYPED
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by eLNiNo4530

Looks like we got some new neighbors and from the looks of it they're from some sort of Middle Eastern background. I wanna go say what's up, seem like cool people. Hookah on the porch and some foreign tv program playing really loud.

Problem is, I only hear them speaking a foreign dialect and don't wanna just go be like hey guys! What kinda stuff should I know?

Diverse cultures FTW
pimp.gif
"Arab" can refer to a lot of different people, sort of like saying Asian or European... Probably the characteristic that would apply tomost though is that they are family-oriented and very hospitable. Introduce yourself, try their food, etc. They want to know their neighbors.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Originally Posted by ShAdYdaTGuy

just be nice. no alcohol or pork.
He didn't say they were muslim
True. And even if they were Muslim, there's a good chance they still drink (but probably a slim chance they eat pork).

yeah but if he said they were Arab. you should assume they are Muslim
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

While the majority of the population of the Arab World are Muslim, most Arab Americans are Christian[sup][4][/sup].

According to the Arab American Institute, the breakdown of religious affiliation among Arab Americans is as follows:

Nothing against Muslims, obviously... Just get your facts straight next time.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

just be nice. no alcohol or pork.
He didn't say they were muslim
yeah but if he said they were Arab. you should assume they are Muslim and respect there religion first since that's the most important in there culture. if not, then it was still good you give Islam respect.
indifferent.gif

Ignorance at its finest. You remind me of the people that hear I'm Egyptian and say "Oh so youre muslim?" even though theres a cross around myneck.

Back
Top Bottom