NT school me on student loans and should I apply for one?

Alright so here's the deal. I'm a full-time student and a convicted felon. So on top of it already being hard to actually find a job, its even harder to find one with the flexibility to be able to study. Also I rely on public transportation so I spend an average of 1-2 hours on the bus heading to school and the same amount of time on the way back home. I'm at school from 10-3 on MWF and from 1-4:30 TTH. So my question to ya'll is should I apply for a student loan? I'm thinking ballpark from $2,500-$5,000 so I can buy a car and pay off a ticket plus get some gear. Is that too much? What's the usual protocol? Please help.

Personally, I wouldn't take it out unless you absolutely need it. With student loans you pretty much HAVE to pay it back

gear as in clothes?

if so, c'mon son
indifferent.gif

if i was in your situation and needed the money, i'd only get a subsidized loan.

I do need it. I recently got kicked out of my house and am now living with a friend and I'm not talkin about goin crazy on clothes but necessities wifeys socks n undies plus cosmetics. I would sell drugs but where I stay at the streets are flooded plus I've already been there done that. Its not a good look. Whats a subsidized loan? I frauded my last bank with fake checks a few years back so how will that impact me?

Possession of a stolen vehicle. I'm currently trying to get a hold of my P.O. to get off probation so it can be dropped to a msdr and get that expunged.

I've just applied for a federal student loan this past week, still waiting to see what will happen. You should try and apply for financial aid as well as a loan. I haven't had to apply for financial aid until now, but it's something everyone should try. Application is free, and you never know if you might qualify for something (but like I said, I've never applied for one until recently so I don't know the details).

As far as the student loan goes, at the least, I think you'd be able to qualify for a federal loan where the gov't pays for your interest. All you have to pay back is the amount you borrowed, no interest. I'm not 100% on this either since I didn't qualify for such a loan, but I'm sure with your needs you'll qualify for something more generous than me.

Good luck on getting your !!$ back on track

Originally Posted by sw00shm4n

I've just applied for a federal student loan this past week, still waiting to see what will happen. You should try and apply for financial aid as well as a loan. I haven't had to apply for financial aid until now, but it's something everyone should try. Application is free, and you never know if you might qualify for something (but like I said, I've never applied for one until recently so I don't know the details).

As far as the student loan goes, at the least, I think you'd be able to qualify for a federal loan where the gov't pays for your interest. All you have to pay back is the amount you borrowed, no interest. I'm not 100% on this either since I didn't qualify for such a loan, but I'm sure with your needs you'll qualify for something more generous than me.

Good luck on getting your !!$ back on track

I applied for financial aid and I'll get the maximum but thats 12 weeks away and I've got a lot of #### to take care of plus look out for my fam and I need a car. If I get that I can earn some cheese and start payin off my loan ASAP.

Originally Posted by MOE FAB UAFA

I do need it. I recently got kicked out of my house and am now living with a friend and I'm not talkin about goin crazy on clothes but necessities wifeys socks n undies plus cosmetics. I would sell drugs but where I stay at the streets are flooded plus I've already been there done that. Its not a good look. Whats a subsidized loan? I frauded my last bank with fake checks a few years back so how will that impact me?
sell it at whatever college you go to.

Yea def apply for financial aid at fafsa.ed.gov. To be honest your past history might make it hard for you to get grants(Free money from the govt) but its a 30 min free application. Could be worth a few thousand bucks to you

Federal loans are not bad as long as you keep it to the bare minimum that you need. New laws have made it so the loans are gonna cost more for ya (The govt no longer pays interest while in school) but at least you dont have to repay the loans till you graduate/decide youre finished. If you do get a job id suggest start puttin just a tiny bit towards the loan, itll add up and make a difference when you graduate

If you dont got a job, and school is being paid for, Id prolly bare the public transportation. Sucks now but if its the difference between having school loan debt or not i know thousands of graduates who woulda taken that in a heartbeat
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by foreveryoung

Yea def apply for financial aid at fafsa.ed.gov. To be honest your past history might make it hard for you to get grants(Free money from the govt) but its a 30 min free application. Could be worth a few thousand bucks to you

Federal loans are not bad as long as you keep it to the bare minimum that you need. New laws have made it so the loans are gonna cost more for ya (The govt no longer pays interest while in school) but at least you dont have to repay the loans till you graduate/decide youre finished. If you do get a job id suggest start puttin just a tiny bit towards the loan, itll add up and make a difference when you graduate

If you dont got a job, and school is being paid for, Id prolly bare the public transportation. Sucks now but if its the difference between having school loan debt or not i know thousands of graduates who woulda taken that in a heartbeat
laugh.gif

Yeah I been getting my financial aid but with my new circumstances its alot tougher ya know but I know I can pay off that loan within a year if I just had a car
EDIT: zapato you a foo for that but yeah all my boys are all locked up for drug chargers check the sig so I'm straight on that I'd rather cop a burner n start robbin cats before I go back to the dope game

Alright so here's the deal. I'm a full-time student and a convicted felon. So on top of it already being hard to actually find a job, its even harder to find one with the flexibility to be able to study. Also I rely on public transportation so I spend an average of 1-2 hours on the bus heading to school and the same amount of time on the way back home. I'm at school from 10-3 on MWF and from 1-4:30 TTH. So my question to ya'll is should I apply for a student loan? I'm thinking ballpark from $2,500-$5,000 so I can buy a car and pay off a ticket plus get some gear. Is that too much? What's the usual protocol? Please help.
So you want a student loan to buy a car & clothes, but you can't find a job?  First of all... that is the WORST reason I have heard to take out a student loan.  Focus on getting the job first and then everything else will fall into place.  Let "wifey" take care herself unless you want to be her sugar daddy with no income and debt that can't be relieved outside of death.

Do a search for student loans in this forum and you will find many people who are begging to be free of their student loans.

Originally Posted by crcballer55

So you want a student loan to buy a car & clothes, but you can't find a job?  First of all... that is the WORST reason I have heard to take out a student loan.  Focus on getting the job first and then everything else will fall into place.  Let "wifey" take care herself unless you want to be her sugar daddy with no income and debt that can't be relieved outside of death.

Do a search for student loans in this forum and you will find many people who are begging to be free of their student loans.

First I can't find a job that has the flexibility I need to study plus commute on the bus for 4 hrs a day. With a car I shave off 3 1/2 of those hours plus my pops needs $350 to get an engine for his car so he can take his test to get back into the union to get back to working. And as far as "wifey" goes that's slang for a wife beater, a-shirt, slingshot, muscle shirt, etc. not some broad. I'm not some irresponsible punk who doesn't have his priorities straight and just wants free money to "ball" I have a lot of #### I have to take care of.

stop advocating that this man sell drugs. smh.

look into workstudy programs. thats apart of financial aid and if you say you got the max you should be eligible for that. try to sign up for a credit union as a new bank. where are you looking at for jobs...as a convicted felon you may have to lower your standards (if you have any) and find a fast food gig..whatever legit means possible. check cl. if you have a girl and you are trying to take care of her...stop it. you need to take care of yourself first. if she isnt condoning that and at least trying to assist you then cut her...unelss u knocked her up. but she should be pulling her own weight plus more with trying to help you given your circumstances.

Originally Posted by SoleWoman

stop advocating that this man sell drugs. smh.

look into workstudy programs. thats apart of financial aid and if you say you got the max you should be eligible for that. try to sign up for a credit union as a new bank. where are you looking at for jobs...as a convicted felon you may have to lower your standards (if you have any) and find a fast food gig..whatever legit means possible. check cl. if you have a girl and you are trying to take care of her...stop it. you need to take care of yourself first. if she isnt condoning that and at least trying to assist you then cut her...unelss u knocked her up. but she should be pulling her own weight plus more with trying to help you given your circumstances.

I think zapato was kidding, besides I'll never go back to that. That's why all my friends are locked up.  And where are ya'll getting that I have a girl? I have applied everywhere I just never get called back or I never get an interview. I am actually quite articulate and tactful, however they only go by what's on the paper. And the bank I scammed was a credit union, so I don't know how that affects me. (I paid them back BTW, if that helps)

First I can't find a job that has the flexibility I need to study plus commute on the bus for 4 hrs a day. With a car I shave off 3 1/2 of those hours plus my pops needs $350 to get an engine for his car so he can take his test to get back into the union to get back to working. And as far as "wifey" goes that's slang for a wife beater, a-shirt, slingshot, muscle shirt, etc. not some broad. I'm not some irresponsible punk who doesn't have his priorities straight and just wants free money to "ball" I have a lot of #### I have to take care of.
Your dad doesn't have $350 to fix his engine?  Did his unionization expire?  I'm sure there's someone in the family who could loan $350 if it's no big deal and future work would be guaranteed.  If so, would you be able to hitch a ride from him or vice versa and just stay there and work a job?

Regarding the "wifey" point, using a comma would help A LOT.  The way it's worded, it makes it sound like you're buying socks and undies for your girl.  The "articulation" needs some work still. 
tongue.gif

Your dad doesn't have $350 to fix his engine?  Did his unionization expire?  I'm sure there's someone in the family who could loan $350 if it's no big deal and future work would be guaranteed.  If so, would you be able to hitch a ride from him or vice versa and just stay there and work a job?

Regarding the "wifey" point, using a comma would help A LOT.  The way it's worded, it makes it sound like you're buying socks and undies for your girl.  The "articulation" needs some work still. 
tongue.gif
I think he might ask my uncle, but he lives in South Gate and my dad's in San Bernardino. Plus my uncle just had a newborn son, so I don't know how that will work. And no, no one else has $350 to just loan. Yeah, I think his unionization did expire, plus he was suspended, so he was out of work for a year. And my bad for that articulation error. I was really tired yesterday, I had to wake up early and was on the bus all day.

tongue.gif
I think he might ask my uncle, but he lives in South Gate and my dad's in San Bernardino. Plus my uncle just had a newborn son, so I don't know how that will work. And no, no one else has $350 to just loan. Yeah, I think his unionization did expire, plus he was suspended, so he was out of work for a year. And my bad for that articulation error. I was really tired yesterday, I had to wake up early and was on the bus all day.
What about taking the bus even earlier, or cutting back on classes to accommodate a better work schedule?  I believe in the value of education, but I hate being in debt even more and would do whatever it took to avoid it.  What about a job on or near campus that you can walk to?  The pay won't be great, but at least you'll be able to make something between classes.

I owe $2,725 on my loan and recently filled out an application for federal student loan free at Fafsa.com and I found it my loan was defaulted which is the worse! I am trying to go to school but I owe money. I left school after my sophomore year attempting to raise grades and I was in a relationship where the sex took precedent over classes... <-- worse mistake ever! when me and my girl broke up i ended up getting the rawest deal alive from everyone who was close to me at that time. I became homeless am now living in and out of a shelter, cant find a job. i don't have a drug or criminal record and am surviving on $200 food stamps every month! The worst. Am currently thinking about joining the military. I hit the bank up and i didn't qualify for a loan. I was thinking about selling my soul and attempting to sling my D*ck but I have no connections plus idk if I'd be wrong for how messed up my life as been to this point. I've learned everything to this point on a first time notice. Its sucks. just stay focused dude. i'm around dudes who just came home all day all night and its horrible conditions out here. word up.

Originally Posted by Fox5Kobe

I owe $2,725 on my loan and recently filled out an application for federal student loan free at Fafsa.com and I found it my loan was defaulted which is the worse! I am trying to go to school but I owe money. I left school after my sophomore year attempting to raise grades and I was in a relationship where the sex took precedent over classes... <-- worse mistake ever! when me and my girl broke up i ended up getting the rawest deal alive from everyone who was close to me at that time. I became homeless am now living in and out of a shelter, cant find a job. i don't have a drug or criminal record and am surviving on $200 food stamps every month! The worst. Am currently thinking about joining the military. I hit the bank up and i didn't qualify for a loan. I was thinking about selling my soul and attempting to sling my D*ck but I have no connections plus idk if I'd be wrong for how messed up my life as been to this point. I've learned everything to this point on a first time notice. Its sucks. just stay focused dude. i'm around dudes who just came home all day all night and its horrible conditions out here. word up.
Damn good luck out there G. But can I ask, do you owe because you left or because your semester was over. And to everyone else what's the timetable to start repaying your loan?

Back
Top Bottom