NT, school me on traveling to/in Europe!!!

Ok, so me and few buddies of mine will be going to Europe during the winter for two weeks. We've selected the 3 countries that we'll be visiting. We've decided on visiting England, France and Switzerland.

My questions are
-How much money will I be expected to spend? We will spend 4 days in each city.
-How much time will I be traveling from city to city? The trip will be England>France>Switzerland
-How much will it cost to travel from each city?
-What mode of transportation is the best/cheapest/fastest?
-How much will we expect to spend on room and board?
-How much money will we expect to spend on food?

What are some places to visit while we're in each country?

My friends are saying we'll be expected to pay up to $2,000 for the entire trip. I'm thinking more along the lines of $3,000-4,000.

Ok, so me and few buddies of mine will be going to Europe during the winter for two weeks. We've selected the 3 countries that we'll be visiting. We've decided on visiting England, France and Switzerland.

My questions are
-How much time will I be traveling from city to city? The trip will be England>France>Switzerland

My friends are saying we'll be expected to pay up to $2,000 for the entire trip. I'm thinking more along the lines of $3,000-4,000.

We've selected the 3 cities that we'll be visiting. We've decided on visiting London, Paris and Switzerland.
lulz.

You should fly, tickets should be 100€ per flight, 1-2 hrs each.
As for boarding/food, it all depends on what you want/need, though.

Get a travel guide and check it out, get a rough idea what there is to see. Please don't go unprepared, or locals will mistake you for the typical american tourist....

We've selected the 3 cities that we'll be visiting. We've decided on visiting London, Paris and Switzerland.
lulz.

You should fly, tickets should be 100€ per flight, 1-2 hrs each.
As for boarding/food, it all depends on what you want/need, though.

Get a travel guide and check it out, get a rough idea what there is to see. Please don't go unprepared, or locals will mistake you for the typical american tourist....

Hostels. 
pimp.gif

How long do you plan to stay? Are you figuring $2k for everyone or per person?

One of the things I want to do is visit England during Christmas time.

Originally Posted by nycknicks105

$2k per person def. We're staying for 2 weeks.
It all depends on what type of spenders you and your friends are. If you enjoy clubs and the "extreme" type of night life and fine dining be prepared to fork over a lot of cash. Especially in England because the pound destroys the dollar. Actually, all three of the countries you and your friends chose are fairly expensive. However the pound still destroys, if you like to eat in fancy sit down restaurants and if you're staying in hotels I don't think 2k will be enough. 2k American is probably somewhere between 1,200 and 1,500 after the conversion. I would suggest doing a bit of research and planning your trip out. Obviously if you're going from England to France a flight would be ideal but I'm sure you can take a ferry. Compare prices and dates because ferry's only run on certain dates and times. If you and your boys enjoy clubs or the "disco" be prepared to spend $$$ for drinks and cover charges. As far as site seeing, it can range. Some places are free and some aren't. Take a list of places that would complement your route, so that it isn't a waste of time to go hours out of the way to see something. I don't know how close you are with your friends but also be prepared to get annoyed with someone, It always happens in big groups where you are forced to spend every waking minute and hour with someone/ group of people.
Goodluck, and word of advice if a girl ask you to buy her a drink be mindful because that could turn into a $400 beverage in which you will have to fork over or the *bouncers* will break your bones. It almost happened to my friend and I in Turkey. Just stay alert during the night time. 

OHHHH one last thing, stay away from taxi's if you can. They can be some of the biggest rip offs, arguing with someone in a different country where there is a language problem can always almost end up in a L. Take the public transportation and "walk it out", you will be in heavily english influenced countries so finding your way around should not be that big of an issue.

Haha, one last thing I met a French girl in Greece. They are super awesome and can have some of the biggest potty mouths
tongue.gif
, get to know some (they dig black guys)
pimp.gif
. Be mindful that the French are rude as %@@$ especially to some Americans, just take it with a grain of salt and tell them to "go %@@$ their mothers"
roll.gif
roll.gif

wink.gif
 Enjoy man, I wish I was going. but my next stop is Thailand 
smokin.gif
devil.gif

Originally Posted by nycknicks105

$2k per person def. We're staying for 2 weeks.
It all depends on what type of spenders you and your friends are. If you enjoy clubs and the "extreme" type of night life and fine dining be prepared to fork over a lot of cash. Especially in England because the pound destroys the dollar. Actually, all three of the countries you and your friends chose are fairly expensive. However the pound still destroys, if you like to eat in fancy sit down restaurants and if you're staying in hotels I don't think 2k will be enough. 2k American is probably somewhere between 1,200 and 1,500 after the conversion. I would suggest doing a bit of research and planning your trip out. Obviously if you're going from England to France a flight would be ideal but I'm sure you can take a ferry. Compare prices and dates because ferry's only run on certain dates and times. If you and your boys enjoy clubs or the "disco" be prepared to spend $$$ for drinks and cover charges. As far as site seeing, it can range. Some places are free and some aren't. Take a list of places that would complement your route, so that it isn't a waste of time to go hours out of the way to see something. I don't know how close you are with your friends but also be prepared to get annoyed with someone, It always happens in big groups where you are forced to spend every waking minute and hour with someone/ group of people.
Goodluck, and word of advice if a girl ask you to buy her a drink be mindful because that could turn into a $400 beverage in which you will have to fork over or the *bouncers* will break your bones. It almost happened to my friend and I in Turkey. Just stay alert during the night time. 

OHHHH one last thing, stay away from taxi's if you can. They can be some of the biggest rip offs, arguing with someone in a different country where there is a language problem can always almost end up in a L. Take the public transportation and "walk it out", you will be in heavily english influenced countries so finding your way around should not be that big of an issue.

Haha, one last thing I met a French girl in Greece. They are super awesome and can have some of the biggest potty mouths
tongue.gif
, get to know some (they dig black guys)
pimp.gif
. Be mindful that the French are rude as %@@$ especially to some Americans, just take it with a grain of salt and tell them to "go %@@$ their mothers"
roll.gif
roll.gif

wink.gif
 Enjoy man, I wish I was going. but my next stop is Thailand 
smokin.gif
devil.gif

Seems like $2k is waaaay under estimated bro. Your two biggest expenses are going to be airfare and lodging. Figure those two out first and then you'll have a better idea of what you are going to spend.

Seems like $2k is waaaay under estimated bro. Your two biggest expenses are going to be airfare and lodging. Figure those two out first and then you'll have a better idea of what you are going to spend.

i'm not sure if it's the cheapest... but the eurostar is the easiest way to travel from London to Paris. 
Rather than wasting your time travelling to airports and check ins.. the eurostar train takes your from the center of London, to the center of Paris  

i'm not sure if it's the cheapest... but the eurostar is the easiest way to travel from London to Paris. 
Rather than wasting your time travelling to airports and check ins.. the eurostar train takes your from the center of London, to the center of Paris  

Originally Posted by Ghenges

2k for everyone? jokes
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Ghenges

2k for everyone? jokes
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

The rule of thumb is $5000USD for one month in Europe, adjust that to your timeline and you'll have a rough estimate of what you'll probably end up spending

Very little time - From London (where I assume you'll be spending the most time?) just the the Eurail down to DOVER (a city at the very bottom of England) - this takes and hour - from there, take the Ferry to Calais (France) - this takes an hour - take that to Paris which is another two hours - from that you could go to Zurich... Eurail = key, and you can pretty much go anywhere, anytime
By Eurail... 100 Euro's each trip? (Someone may be able to better answer this)

You could fly from each location, there are several very cheap flights all the time, but I suggest Eurail as 1) its a better/more fun experience 2) Eurail is everywhere, whereas the flights, athough they may be cheaper, are often in airports which you'll have to take the time to go to, and get cabs, and etc... 
Depends on where you stay - FYI Switzerland is going to break your bank, stay outside of main city centres if you can! use hotels, they're save, affoardable, and since you're travelling all you need is a bed, pretty much

A lot - this will be your biggest expense on the trip

Switzerland: Zurich... visit Lake Zurich.. it's a big lake, but it's a picture perfect scene and definitely one of the nicest places I've ever been to. the FIFA HQ's are also in zurich
France: Paris - visit the Catacombs
England... there's so much to do in every city.. 

Check out St. Josephs hostels in England and France - they're cheap, safe, and provide some stuff to do, as well

If you're 4 days in each city, go grocery shopping for food for 4 days - that way you always have food, it wont be expensive, and most hotels/hotels have kitchens so you can always cook as well

Also - plan your route before you do anything, try to avoid planning as you go as chances are you'll start to run into unexpected expenses this way, which could add up

The rule of thumb is $5000USD for one month in Europe, adjust that to your timeline and you'll have a rough estimate of what you'll probably end up spending

Very little time - From London (where I assume you'll be spending the most time?) just the the Eurail down to DOVER (a city at the very bottom of England) - this takes and hour - from there, take the Ferry to Calais (France) - this takes an hour - take that to Paris which is another two hours - from that you could go to Zurich... Eurail = key, and you can pretty much go anywhere, anytime
By Eurail... 100 Euro's each trip? (Someone may be able to better answer this)

You could fly from each location, there are several very cheap flights all the time, but I suggest Eurail as 1) its a better/more fun experience 2) Eurail is everywhere, whereas the flights, athough they may be cheaper, are often in airports which you'll have to take the time to go to, and get cabs, and etc... 
Depends on where you stay - FYI Switzerland is going to break your bank, stay outside of main city centres if you can! use hotels, they're save, affoardable, and since you're travelling all you need is a bed, pretty much

A lot - this will be your biggest expense on the trip

Switzerland: Zurich... visit Lake Zurich.. it's a big lake, but it's a picture perfect scene and definitely one of the nicest places I've ever been to. the FIFA HQ's are also in zurich
France: Paris - visit the Catacombs
England... there's so much to do in every city.. 

Check out St. Josephs hostels in England and France - they're cheap, safe, and provide some stuff to do, as well

If you're 4 days in each city, go grocery shopping for food for 4 days - that way you always have food, it wont be expensive, and most hotels/hotels have kitchens so you can always cook as well

Also - plan your route before you do anything, try to avoid planning as you go as chances are you'll start to run into unexpected expenses this way, which could add up

It all depends on what mode of transportation you end up taking. Like someone mentioned above, the Eurostar is probably the most convenient for London to Paris, because there are no airports in central London. If you wanted to take a flight, you probably would end up booking on Ryanair.com or Easyjet.com, (the Southwest airline types of Europe) so in London you would fly out of Gatwick, Luton, or Stansted, and its a little more tedious, cause you have to consider the 45min-1hr shuttle (Easybus.co.uk) as well. The thing is, if you kinda just shadow those websites, you can find really cheap deals on flights, so there's a high chance the flight could be a steal over Eurostar. Not sure about the Eurostar, but flight-wise, it should take you about 5 hrs. including the walk to the shuttle-pick up location, the hour shuttle ride, waiting in customs lines, and the flight. I always booked early morning flights also, get to the destination city with the whole day ahead of you.

I always stayed in hostels. They are the cheapest and the realest when it comes to getting to know the country. Most of them are kinda dirty, but the people who run them (usually people in their late 20's early 30's) will almost always tell you where to get the best food, best nightclubs, and how to get further with your money. Also, you'll meet a lot of interesting travelers staying in the hostel who pretty much are there for the same reasons you are. Way cheaper than hotels and a lot more fun. 40-50 euros, id say per trip.

I think one of the bigger considerations you have to think about is your luggage size. I studied abroad in London, so whenever I traveled, I only brought a backpack which worked out with flights cause they are really strict about the one carry-on item per flight, and since the cheapest and best modes of transportation are subways, trains, buses, hauling around a heavy suitcase can be a Sh*(% experience trying to hop on and off with all the crowds and fast-paced walking, and hostels because I would just empty my clothes in the hostel, and carry my valuables with me when I went out (they have lockers but some are kinda small).

Back
Top Bottom