NT: Tell me why I should drink Protein shakes after my workouts

I drink Chocolate Milk after my workouts. 2 to be exact. 32 grams of protien? Can't beat that. Been doing that for years now.

Originally Posted by Caerus

I drink Chocolate Milk after my workouts. 2 to be exact. 32 grams of protien? Can't beat that. Been doing that for years now.

what kind of chocolate milk are you drinking?

some good articles posted, but honestly you don't *NEED* protein shakes, the best way to get it is through food. But definitely if your not eating around 1.5 times your body weight in protein through food then get a protein shake (mixed with water mind you) after your workout bro.

Originally Posted by Glockwork3

some good articles posted, but honestly you don't *NEED* protein shakes, the best way to get it is through food. But definitely if your not eating around 1.5 times your body weight in protein through food then get a protein shake (mixed with water mind you) after your workout bro.
That is why I scratch my head because people everywhere speak of protein shakes as if they are some legalized version of steoids. The way they speak of it is as if they NEED it. I see girls taking crazy amounts because they see their juice head gorilla man taking that (and more). I just don't think it is needed, and whenever you ask someone why are they taking it instead of eating feed they don't have a reason. Some claim time
ohwell.gif

I didn't do a very extensive search, but here's a decent article if you can get access to it. If not, at least read the abstract and conclusion.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22148961

Basically whey protein ingestion post-resistance exercise training increases protein phosphorylation, which theoretically would lead to skeletal muscle hypertrophy.

Is consuming whey after a workout absolutely necessary? That's up to you to decide. For almost all of us, simply working out is good enough to build muscle mass that we're happy with.

so much bro-science in here. if you wanna get big, just take celltech. #yourewelcome.

Spoiler [+]
not really though. get your protein and nutrients from food, and lift heavy and often. have a schedule and get rest. you'll see results unless you're an ectomorph, at which point you'll have to adjust your system of attack. Either way, when you have a plan, you can achieve big things. good luck.

Originally Posted by KingJay718

roll.gif
Damn, I've been drinking them before workouts. 

I've read in Muscle & Fitness mag's that taking a shake before and after a workout for 10 weeks increased strength by 8-10% over those who only took a shake after workouts.

modem day steroids. just eat lean protein. It's a business so of course there's gonna be publications attesting to its validity. I've lifted consistently for five years and stopped taking them after my first year. I see gains just like anyone else. Everyone who gets in the weight lifting game initially is flooded with protein shake advise. The shake doesn't make you stronger. Your discipline and regime does. It's just mad sugar and a whole other host of concoctions. Just eat and work out and be patient. The results will come in due time.

Originally Posted by onewearz

anybody else fart like crazy after a protein shake ?

i could power a small amish village with whats coming outta me every 2 minutes
laugh.gif
eek.gif
 I thought  I was the only one! I just got back from the gym and I'm drinking a shake right now. I feel like I gotta go. 
roll.gif

Originally Posted by Winged Wheel

Protein shakes are a scam, increase protein through foods and foods only.
I'm guessing people who drink all those shakes don't even need all of it.  Unless it's someone who lifts religiously everyday and is trying to put on a lot of bulk.

Originally Posted by shogun

I'm guessing people who drink all those shakes don't even need all of it.  Unless it's someone who lifts religiously everyday and is trying to put on a lot of bulk.
its not a sham.. protein through food is a good source and should be the main source but protein shakes are there to help you get that protein intake goal/per day. thats why its called a supplement.. some people just can't eat enough so theres another source to get your protein. 

protein shakes help gain weight and build muscle. they are NOT a scam. all types of people who weight lift take protein shakes. it will benefit you!

Honestly when I was taking this protein shake Russian bear and this preworkout drink called super pump it got me more gains then I'd ever seen. I got off it because the Russian bear was giving me a gut and the combination of both became too much for my body to digest over about 2 months. I lost alot of my gains pretty quickly after and then it kinda hit me like what's the point of this stuff if once I get off of it I lose my gains.

But if you guys are looking for your get big quick solution then definitely try those 2 supps or a different supplement for preworkout called beast mode.

I don't have the money to blow on gains that aren't permanent but I know there are plenty of people here that do.

Originally Posted by struong8

Originally Posted by shogun

its not a sham.. protein through food is a good source and should be the main source but protein shakes are there to help you get that protein intake goal/per day. thats why its called a supplement.. some people just can't eat enough so theres another source to get your protein. 

Bingo.......protein shakes are just alternatives.......nothing more nothing less. Sometimes people don't have the time to prepare the meal it takes to get the proteins you need that's all

Originally Posted by Durden7

Sugar isnt "bad" for anyone.  (Bad is a relative term anyways and shouldn't be used in anything related to health/fitness)

Following a workout, the body needs insulin.  The sugar is used to produce insulin and glycogen.  The insulin increases the storage of glycogen (which was just used during the workout) and its used to shuttle amino acids to cells.  Without insulin being produced, the shuttling of amino acids into needed cells is slowed. (which is why taking a protein powder with water isn't the best method)  If the glycogen stores arent replenished fairly quickly after a workout, the ability to store and use it becomes reduced.  (takes longer to recover)  Sugar isnt something should should be avoided.  Simple, processed sugars aren't good.  Milk sugar is lactose which is a disaccahride so it isnt as "unhealthy" as simple sugars are.

The ratio of carbs to protein in milk is the best ratio.  It's typically around 3:1 or 4:1.

I forget the exact meaning of why chocolate milk is better than regular milk but obviously it has to do with the coca.

I usually make a Almond/Rice Milk + Oats + Peanut Butter + Bananas smoothie after a workout. I should be good with that right?

C'mon now guys.. Lets be logical about this.
What do you think Arnold Schwarzenegger was eating back in the day? or the bodybuilders/athletes before him?

You dont need protein shakes.. 

They are just easier to take when compared to drinking a whole bunch of eggs whites or eating a bunch of tuna.

Would you rather wait until you get home from the gym to make a meal that replinishes the nutrients and the calories you have lost?

Or would you want to get the nutrients/calories back right after your workout so your body can start the rebuilding process as soon as possible?

Protein shakes are more about convenience than anything. I personally like em.

It is still debatable if protein shakes are better for you..

So what I do is just add milk and two egg whites to one scoop of my favorite protein (Chocolate Myofusion) = Best of both worlds 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Sometimes I drink it during my workout but most of the time I just drink it immediately after. 

Ive been doing this during my lifting phase for the past two years and I have had my best lean muscle gains.. The type of gains that you dont lose once you stop lifting 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

The cheaper powders usually get you gassy, you get what you pay for.

But I don't even drink any of them, rarely.....just eat until I'm full immediately afterwards

I recommend them simply for convenience. You can add 'em to your oats, home-made mass gaining shakes etc..

What I guess most newbies fail to realize is that protein shakes are 5% of the whole equation. 90% is your complete diet, clean foods, food timing. The remaining 5% is your workout.

You want to get big, lose weight, get cut?

Four letters..

Diet.

Originally Posted by AlmostNotReady

C'mon now guys.. Lets be logical about this.
What do you think Arnold Schwarzenegger was eating back in the day? or the bodybuilders/athletes before him?

You dont need protein shakes.. 

They are just easier to take when compared to drinking a whole bunch of eggs whites or eating a bunch of tuna.

Would you rather wait until you get home from the gym to make a meal that replinishes the nutrients and the calories you have lost?

Or would you want to get the nutrients/calories back right after your workout so your body can start the rebuilding process as soon as possible?

Protein shakes are more about convenience than anything. I personally like em.

It is still debatable if protein shakes are better for you..

So what I do is just add milk and two egg whites to one scoop of my favorite protein (Chocolate Myofusion) = Best of both worlds 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Sometimes I drink it during my workout but most of the time I just drink it immediately after. 

Ive been doing this during my lifting phase for the past two years and I have had my best lean muscle gains.. The type of gains that you dont lose once you stop lifting 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
Yumm just received 10lbs of myofusion the other day. Never tried egg whites. are you using a blender or just shaker?  I might start doing that.

Back
Top Bottom