NT, What Beer Do You Drink?

Had a friend from Sacramento bring this down. I've never had pliny the younger so unfortunately I can't compare the two but this Extremis from Moonraker was dang tasty. Lot of that citrusy/grapefruit came through. Super smooth for a 10% ipa. Friend said it was $20 for a 4 pack of 16 ounce cans but only available at their brewery up north. 

Moonraker is definitely killing it out here in Norcal. Too bad they are like 3 hours away :\. I've had several beers from them and they did not disappoint. Hoping their stuff gets more distro out here in the South Bay in the near future.

Yea I liked visiting the Tasting Room cause their pours are actually decently priced. But $30/bottle is a bit rich.

That and I'm not a fan of sours and BBA stuff anyway :lol:

Still got a Black Tuesday from like 2013

Went to a bar with some friends Wednesday and found Firestone Leo Vs Ursus on tap. After trying it again on tap I must say it's a really tasty IPA. Made me think again about this series and I look forward to what Firestone brings out for it.

Still have 3 bottles of Black Tuesday (2012 and 2013) from when I visited their taproom years ago. Can't be drinking a 19% 750 ml beer by myself :lol:

Last edited:
I don't know the story. Are microbreweries contracting out the actual brewing part?

I know Kona Brewing (not a microbrewery obviously) brews in Portland and has it shipped to the Islands :lol: Not exactly contracting out, but still.

Someone made mention that contract brewing does exist. I know FW was brewing Russian River beer for awhile during their expansion. Someone mentioned Sleeping Giant. A local brewery uses them as they build out a new production brewery. Huge difference in quality though and I wont be buying them until they brew it themselves.

As far as Kona. They are 33% owned by AB INBEV, and are a part of the CBA (an umbrella of breweries that include Widmir and Redhook). I actually read that Kona is the only brewery that is making them any money, as Widmir and Redhook sales are down.

I also heard that someone wanted to sue Kona for basically false advertisement since it is brewed inland for US inland sales. I want to say its only brewed in Hawaii for on island sales. So it's really all about the allure of what you think you are drinking.

Mangudai954, I want to say that its 100% based on your state. My state allows for self distribution under a certain bbl. Which means, you pretty much have to go store to store and see if they want to sell your product. You can explain profit margins and price points etc... I've seen others use distribution companies. My area has 3 big ones. Ones basically a AB INBEV distributor with a couple of craft stragglers. And another is like your Coronas, with a bunch of other craft options. These companies are the ones who set up posters, signage, and negotiate prices and shelf space..

So in a lot of ways, one distributor could be selling competing brands.. There was a leak awhile back where AB INBEV was offering incentives to distributors who could sell upwards of 95% of AB INBEV owned products only. Ultimately the distributor is out to make money so it makes zero sense to neglect the craft segment. Unless the craft segment is wholly AB INBEV, then yeah, a distributor could push out all AB INBEV brands...

I saw this mixed 12 pack of 4 IPAs the other day. It was called IPA BOXED SET. It featured beers from 10 barrel, Goose Island, Blue Point, and Elysian. In theory, a restaurant or shop could sell only AB INBEV products if the consumers demanded it (or were forced to drink it with no choice). Its why so many get up in arms over buyouts.. They arent good for variety, as distributors get products shoved down their throats constantly.

On the side of the packaging was each brewery who in was the boxed set, along with the city of origin. I question the ethics of AB INBEV for putting Chicago IL on the side of the box for GI, as quite a bit of their beer is brewed in CO at one of the AB INBEV facilities...

I read that Elysian Space Dust is set to be brewed at a AB INBEV Fairfield CA production brewery. Lines are getting blurred like crazy

Before we know it, every brewery around will be owned by some firm trying to cash in on this craze. I don't blame them. But don't act like you arent owned by billionaires. Independent you are NOT

Last edited:
Sipping on this tonight. Power Glove DIPA from Fieldwork (collab with Noble Ale Works). Nice juicy tropical notes. Not too sweet and super easy drinking for the ABV.

I tend not to look up the smell and flavor profiles of year round beers before I drink them. I was a little disappointed with the 60ips, its not bad by any means, just not what I was expecting. I saw mentions of herbal notes, which I didnt know much if at all, maybe I need a fresher one. The rebel grapefruit was solid, and the stone ipa was very good. Looking forward to the sours.

Last edited:
Smog City's Anniversary on Saturday

Followed by a couple of Monkish growlers

Made for an interesting Saturday night of my bday weekend.

Then Sunday got two bottles of Fundamental Summation from Bottle Logic.
That made for an expensive Sunday.

^ Happy Bday man! Looks like you had a great weekend :lol:

Sipping on this tonight. Only had one other brett IPA which was Stone's Enjoy After 10/31/16. I remember liking that one a lot. Not really feeling this one though. All I get is funky bitterness. Not my cup of tea I guess.

Smog City's Anniversary on Saturday

Followed by a couple of Monkish growlers

Made for an interesting Saturday night of my bday weekend.

Then Sunday got two bottles of Fundamental Summation from Bottle Logic.
That made for an expensive Sunday.

HBD brah!

How long did you wait in line for Fundamental Summation? Last time I happened to be in Anaheim during their anniversary event, their line was almost literally half a mile long. All I wanted was a a quick pour before I had to leave :\

Last edited:
^ Happy Bday man! Looks like you had a great weekend
laugh.gif

Sipping on this tonight. Only had one other brett IPA which was Stone's Enjoy After 10/31/16. I remember liking that one a lot. Not really feeling this one though. All I get is funky bitterness. Not my cup of tea I guess.
I passed on this one when it was released.  Never really understood the appeal of brett IPAs.  They're always gushers and you lose a lot of the hop characteristics in order to let the brett develop in the bottle.  

I've actually lost a lot of interest in sour/funky beers.  They were never my favorite to begin with, but my tastes tend to favor crisp/easy-drinking beers whenever I'm taking a break from hops.  Sours used to fill that void because they're generally low ABV, but these days I'd much prefer a nice pils, kolsch, helles, etc.  

Fundamental Summation was an online sale. Eventbrite. I had zero issues.
Thanks for the bday wishes.

I passed on this one when it was released.  Never really understood the appeal of brett IPAs.  They're always gushers and you lose a lot of the hop characteristics in order to let the brett develop in the bottle.  

I've actually lost a lot of interest in sour/funky beers.  They were never my favorite to begin with, but my tastes tend to favor crisp/easy-drinking beers whenever I'm taking a break from hops.  Sours used to fill that void because they're generally low ABV, but these days I'd much prefer a nice pils, kolsch, helles, etc.  

I hear ya man. Actually poured this down the drain after drinking half the cup. Sours usually messes up my stomach hence the reason I barely drink them.

So it seems that Bourbon County Vanilla Rye is popping up in Total Wines across the county.
Seattle, Vegas, Texas and Florida so far.
$50 is the supposed price.
If you got some extra dough to drop on beer and never have had it, do it. Amazing stuff.

So it seems that Bourbon County Vanilla Rye is popping up in Total Wines across the county.
Seattle, Vegas, Texas and Florida so far.
$50 is the supposed price.
If you got some extra dough to drop on beer and never have had it, do it. Amazing stuff.

I'm good

I hear you. It's the reason I won't be seeking it out. My monthly budget is gone after Fundamental Summation, Smog City's Bourbon OE and some other stuff I've bought.
But at the same time, secondary on it is around $250 and to trade for it takes quite a bit.

Over the past couple of weeks
The lone pint and hefeweizen are my favorite...

Last edited:
Pickups for Memorial Day weekend :smokin

- Clear & Present Dankness IPA (Modern Times & Cellarmaker collab)
- Fieldwork Bloomsday IPA
- Fieldwork Eliza (New Orleans Iced Coffee Imperial Milk Stout)
- Hive Mind DIPA (Alvarado Street & Pure Project collab)
- PtE

Back
Top Bottom