NT, what is your experience with gourmet food trucks and do you see them staying relevant?

Food Network's got a show dedicated to gourmet food trucks, notable mentions in various movies, articles in various media outlets, etc. What are your thoughts? Have you had food from one recently?

Share your thoughts, stories, experiences, the food you've had, etc. This is in reference to gourmet food trucks, not the more old-school taco "lonchero" trucks.

Went to the SF food truck festival thing over the summer. Food was
pimp.gif
but that's the only time I've eaten at the "gourmet" ones

I made this topic because I am a food truck owner/operator in SoCal and I would love to hear various POVs. NT is comprised of a very diverse group of members and nothing beats getting feedback from this community. Hope y'all don't mind I hear you guys out.

I'm a foodie. I love my city's food trucks. Our scene isn't big, but all the food is great. One truck's business got so good they had to open a restaurant. Do I see it staying relevant? As long as truck owners can continue to innovate and deliver great eats, I say yes.

I ate from a food truck twice, cool experience w em, but Im not sure if they'll fizzle out eventually.

I've never eat at a food truck in my life. As far as "gourmet" truck go, how much is a meal? Is it equivalent to a gourmet restaurant cost wise?

Originally Posted by ATLsFinest

I've never eat at a food truck in my life. As far as "gourmet" truck go, how much is a meal? Is it equivalent to a gourmet restaurant cost wise?

Some trucks can be expensive, but out here in SoCal, an average meal is about $10-12.

Not a gourmet but, today actually from a taco truck. Those were the best tacos I've ever had in my life. That prolly didn't help, just thought had to share. Srsly though they were that good

Originally Posted by n1co86ya

Not a gourmet but, today actually from a taco truck. Those were the best tacos I've ever had in my life. That prolly didn't help, just thought had to share. Srsly though they were that good

Haha no its cool, I love those old school taco trucks too. Cheap and delicious. But after being in the business... it's a lot easier to eat from them if you don't think about how "clean" they are.

I'm a fan of them, but the one thing I'm noticing is that it seems like there's too many food trucks out there nowadays. It's kind of like when everyone would start a clothing line, after a while it gets old.
And I shall agree that Kogi =
pimp.gif
still my favorite after trying out hella food trucks

Originally Posted by kamakazipnoygt

I'm a fan of them, but the one thing I'm noticing is that it seems like there's too many food trucks out there nowadays. It's kind of like when everyone would start a clothing line, after a while it gets old.
And I shall agree that Kogi =
pimp.gif
still my favorite after trying out hella food trucks

Agreed. It's one of my biggest concerns as an owner. The whole industry is being watered down by subpar trucks. It's something that I'm active about.

I like Kogi too and always look to trade food with them when we're doing an event with them. But I think their food is very salty now.

nom nom truck...yum

i never tried others though, but i've been wanting to go to that thing in the bay area with all the trucks

im in la so theres a bunch of them but the only food trucks i go to are the mexican taco trucks. nothing beats the og though i do have a couple of friends doing the great food truck race on food network next season so i def support them and what they do.

If you create a niche and get a great location, you'll do gangbusters. Gourmet food trucks are a great alternative to the standard chains a lot of people go to. There's a reason people just trudge over to Subway or McDonald's. People would rather support a local business that is more focused on great food. Create a great product and people will come.

we have a bunch in hawaii now as well as a monthly food truck festival and i've tried many of them. probably the best thing i've had was a slice of dulce de leche pecan pie.

Kogi is so bomb. Definitely worth the wait the couple times I had it. It was in Irvine, so like every Asian UCI student (aka every student) was there. Waited like a solid hour once.

I think they will stay relevant simply because of the mobility factor. When the truck comes around it's always "special," but it comes often enough not to be forgotten. I'm sure they make an absolute KILLING on campuses. Plus you can always show up near events, so it's like pseudo-catering. Social networking seems to be vital in this business.

This will sound bad, but I think it's important to be Asian-themed. I know I'm stereotyping, but us Asians (especially students) seem to be the most into the gourmet trucks from my experience (and my Facebook).

In New York Food Crats make a good bit and I know I eat form the regularly when I was in the city. Everyone did but lately some people want them banned. Your importance depends on your location.

Originally Posted by an dee 51o

Kogi is so bomb. Definitely worth the wait the couple times I had it. It was in Irvine, so like every Asian UCI student (aka every student) was there. Waited like a solid hour once.

I think they will stay relevant simply because of the mobility factor. When the truck comes around it's always "special," but it comes often enough not to be forgotten. I'm sure they make an absolute KILLING on campuses. Plus you can always show up near events, so it's like pseudo-catering. Social networking seems to be vital in this business.

This will sound bad, but I think it's important to be Asian-themed. I know I'm stereotyping, but us Asians (especially students) seem to be the most into the gourmet trucks from my experience (and my Facebook).

Interesting. A lot of our customers are definitely Asian, especially when we go to the Tuesday lot in Irvine (Irvine lanes) but we actually have a lot of white/hispanic customers as well. It just depends on where we park.

If we're in the South Bay area, it's mostly hispanics, but if we're in Santa Monica, it's mainly white people.

I always thought about having my own here in the philippines but i have no idea how it would do....any ideas? how's the business like? licensing? expenses? "

Regards to your business: I really think that it's a great business in America and I think people love finding "hidden gems" and if you can be known as one, you can get big

I just started eating at food trucks here in DC.  The food is delicious and well prepared.  I made it a point this summer to try a different truck every Friday, which I am still doing.  Here in DC at Farragut North you will see between 12-20 food trucks on any given day during the week.  Alot of people eat there for lunch, and folks just chill and eat in the park.  Great vibe and atmosphere.  I highly recommend them.  I was cautious at first just with the whole thought process of eating cooked food from a truck, but the food is well worth the cost and taste. 

In my experience, they're kind of over hyped.

And the food usually isn't worth the price.

I see them as a trend that will eventually die down.

thought about getting one. but there are too many now.  plus i'd need to find a kitchen to work out of.  i think the bad ones will fall off quick and there will be a few good ones left.  gourmet food trucks are cool, but can get kinda pricey.  i used to work at a restaurant that had one. (smack shack).  i eat enough gourmet stuff cooking at work though.  if i'm hitting a food truck i'm going to an african one or a taco truck. 

Back
Top Bottom