NT What is your opinion on Solitary Confinement? Is it really helpful?

So I'm taking a summer class and we have been talking about Solitary Confinement.  Today we watched a documentary about it and the effects of it.  I am wondering, what is you guys opinion on it?  Do you think it really helps modify behavior or is it a form of psychological torture?
images

Imagine being in this room for 23 hours a day with NO contact with anyone else.

Should there be limitations on how long an inmate is in solitary?

So I'm taking a summer class and we have been talking about Solitary Confinement.  Today we watched a documentary about it and the effects of it.  I am wondering, what is you guys opinion on it?  Do you think it really helps modify behavior or is it a form of psychological torture?
images

Imagine being in this room for 23 hours a day with NO contact with anyone else.

Should there be limitations on how long an inmate is in solitary?

Originally Posted by eashawty

Originally Posted by thytkerjobs

do the crime, do the time.
basically, & solitary aint even that bad
solitary confinement as a form of punishment could be considered cruel and unusual punishment. It wrecks havoc on the psyche for long periods of time. I think that for short term protection it can be employed, but any other reason should be abolished 

solitary confinement as a form of punishment could be considered cruel and unusual punishment. It wrecks havoc on the psyche for long periods of time. I think that for short term protection it can be employed, but any other reason should be abolished 

I don't think I'm in a position to say how bad it is, that 4#$%$ sounds horrible but i agree with taketheiryobs.

I don't think I'm in a position to say how bad it is, that 4#$%$ sounds horrible but i agree with taketheiryobs.

How do you know?  (not an attack, just a real question)
I don't think anyone can say that unless they've personally experienced it for a long period of time.

Let me rephrase by asking do you think long stays in solitary are needed?  Meaning several years

How do you know?  (not an attack, just a real question)
I don't think anyone can say that unless they've personally experienced it for a long period of time.

Let me rephrase by asking do you think long stays in solitary are needed?  Meaning several years

if prison is meant to reform people and improve them so that they don't come out even more F'd up then they were before when their release back to society then long term solitary confinement isn't the answer. it's been proven that people go crazy in their and start talkin to themselves and freaking out after a while.

i agree do the time, do the crime, but solitary confinement just makes people worse.

if prison is meant to reform people and improve them so that they don't come out even more F'd up then they were before when their release back to society then long term solitary confinement isn't the answer. it's been proven that people go crazy in their and start talkin to themselves and freaking out after a while.

i agree do the time, do the crime, but solitary confinement just makes people worse.

Originally Posted by Cedric Ceballos 1995 Lakers

This. Solitary does make people worse.
But I do believe that some inmates need to be in solitary confinement (away from general population).

I could be wrong though my only knowledge on the subject is from Lockup on NBC
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Cedric Ceballos 1995 Lakers

This. Solitary does make people worse.
But I do believe that some inmates need to be in solitary confinement (away from general population).

I could be wrong though my only knowledge on the subject is from Lockup on NBC
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom