NT Whats Your Opinion on Mandatory Car Breathalyzers?

Saw this discussion pop up on another forum and thought it was interesting. France passed a law yesterday stating that all new cars must be built with built in breathalyzer kits to start the car. (Source) I personally would be for something like this coming to the US.
NT whats your thoughts on this? Beginning of a corrupt Police State, or Good-Willed common sense that could save lives?

The law in France is that you must carry a breathalyzer in your car. They don't have a law saying the car must have a built-in breathalyzer used to start it. What they're trying to do is take away your ability to deny you knew you were intoxicated.

I would be all for it....there is no reason why this shouldn't stand as a law...save a lot of lives, money and heartaches, this is comin from someone who has a DUI on their record...worst experience of my life.

I'll admit it seems like a bit much, but I wouldnt really have a problem with it.
I never drink and drive, and it seems the only people against something like this drive drunk.

Its amazing how many DUIs my friends have racked up, they coulda killed somebody 
eyes.gif

beer companies, bars and clubs we cry about this ,, im for it thou why not i have a friend that lost his legs cuz a drunk driverate a red n hit his car

Originally Posted by onlyXVbutHAVEallXIX

I'll admit it seems like a bit much, but I wouldnt really have a problem with it.
Why does it seem like a bit much though?

im all for it, cousin was killed by drunk driver last year.

I would go a step farther and have a computer system be notified of people attempting to drive drunk and face fines or jail time.

Drunk drivers discuss me

Originally Posted by bkmac

Originally Posted by onlyXVbutHAVEallXIX

Why does it seem like a bit much though?

Cause our generation is lazy today, no one wants to breathe in a breathalyzer before everytime you turn on your car.

It's a great idea in theory, makes a lot of sense, but ill be damned if I had to use one of those to start my car EVERYTIME I drive it.

I would really support this. As long as the mouthpiece is interchangeable.
I don't want someone else who drives my car putting their slob all over
the same mouthpiece that I use 
sick.gif

At what point would it not start?

Any hint of alcohol? A certain BAC?

This doesn't bother me in theory. Doubt that this would stop drunk driving entirely though. Someone would invent "Breathalyzer Bypass Devices" or whatever.

I think attaching breathalyzers to the inside of the cars would be great idea. They should be able to deny access to the engine if a person's blood alcohol level was too high.

Originally Posted by nyybaseball423

Originally Posted by StillIn729

a law to save innocent people's lives?  pass
Perfect execution of a typical NTer's train of thought 
laugh.gif
true.
Im for it, life is too precious (especially that of my love ones)to be taken that way. I pray it never strikes my fam, or any fams for that matter...
frown.gif

Makes sense to do if they're REALLY trying to save lives.

I wouldn't be mad if they mandated that in the states since I don't drink and drive.

Originally Posted by twozerosix

Terrible idea.

you won't be saying that if a close friend or relative is killed by a drunk driver and you know it could have been prevented.
Its really sad that people are so lazy that taking 10-15 seconds to blow in a breathalyzer is considered an inconvenience for potentially saving a life. For christ sake you spend 10x as long just finding a song on your iPod once you get in your vehicle.

Honestly, this would get really annoying to do everytime you get in the car, but it's a good idea

Back
Top Bottom