NT, who was your favorite teacher and why? What did you learn?

I just got done with a class that really changed my whole outlook. The teacher (I'll just call him Dr. T) is possibly the most open-minded, creative, andforward-thinking guy I've ever met.

Our grades for the class (Environmental Ethics PH346) were based on:

1. Reading selections from the assigned books
2. Marking good notes in our notebooks while reading
3. Discussing the ideas in class

Talking in class was probably the biggest factor in our grades. T would sit with a notebook and write down key points that people brought up and go over themat the end, like a summary. People were shy at first, but even the quietest students had some strong opinions towards the end.

We got in some heated debates. Dr. T had us put all of our desks in a circle (only like 20-some people in the class) and just go at it. T played devil'sadvocate the whole time, challenging people's thoughts and asking them to elaborate or build on what they said. I learned so damn much from this class, hereally opened my eyes to a lot of concepts and ideas.

The best thing about Dr. T is that he's the best listener ever. He listens intently while you talk, thenhe'll reply with a "tell me more about..." or "well then how do you feel about..."

He is also smart as HELL. He was the student of the year at our college in the early 90's off of a perfect 4.0 GPA. I'm so convinced that he could winalmost any debate because of how persuasive and brilliant he is. He went from college to the Marines where he trained until he had nearly perfect accuracy withhead shots. After that he decided to not kill anything for 15 years
eek.gif
and took ten years to contemplate the meaning of the word "humility"and meanwhile achieved his Ph.D at Boston College. He just started killing things again with fishing. He is the ultimate outdoorsman and once fished like 300out of 365 days in a year.

Anyways, NT, tell me about your favorite teacher and why.

Mrs. Jackson 1st Grade

She'd bully and antagonize me in class which only made me stronger in the end.

Coach White - 11th grade Science

Cuz wouldn't even teach sometimes..he would would just "talk" to us about life and school us to game..that brother definitely had an old soul.I'll never forgot what he said to me the last day of class.

Mr. Wood - English III 11th grade

He was so passionate about literature and movies and it was refreshingly geniune. He really helped me to look deeper into stories and movies for not so obviousmeaning.

That's three..I cheated
ohwell.gif

My high school Spanish teacher Mr. Scarlett
smokin.gif

Words cannot explain his coolness he's just someone you have to meet word to him rocking open toe sandals in Buffalo winters and his armpits always havesweat circles

Dr. Henderson for Black Spirituality

while the other profs. were just teaching a few religions of African groups he put us onto to real %$%%

Ma'at, Stolen Legacy, Egyptian Book of the Dead and a bunch of other stuff...

best part was he's a baptist minister and is so open to so many ideas...and he had scriptures in the bible to support stuff we were reading in the booksmentioned...

i might go visit him at his church tomorrow...

great man who inspired me to read more...not just on religion but in general...

i read but nothing informative...

Professor Buktenica, Dude was my astronomy prof. and explained to me how the world works

and he was a stoner too...ran into him in Yonkers once and shook his hand
pimp.gif

Mr. Hamilton, 10th grade world history.

The man changed my life, there's no other way to put it.

Originally Posted by biff lawson

Professor Buktenica, Dude was my astronomy prof. and explained to me how the world works

pimp.gif
Hand in Hand
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

professor gordon lees - microecon

everyone told me about him. very high scores on ratemyprof. was not dissapointed

lots of stories and jokes, some econ related, some not, but all were pretty good
laugh.gif

made everything clear. his exams were hard as **** compared to the other profs but he prepared us very very well for the final

he stated his goal at the beginning of the course was to make it so that an economist would not be able to lie to us. id say he accomplished that

never will i major in econ and ill prolly never take another econ class again - that is, unless he is teaching it. never really cared for econ yet i actuallylooked forward to his morning class every tuesday and thursday

Ms. Aponte, Speech teacher, she had the fattest *%$ i have ever seen on a teacher. All the fellas at school wanted to @!#% her, yes even the principal wastrying to get at her.

Originally Posted by marionthebarberian

Ms. Aponte, Speech teacher, she had the fattest *#* i have ever seen on a teacher. All the fellas at school wanted to %#+@ her, yes even the principal was trying to get at her.

I can't believe it took 8 posts for a response like this. Slightly shocked.

Mr. Scrudato

7th and 8th grade history teacher

He is the one that lit the fire inside of me regarding the field of study. He actually made history fun. He would hold an NCAA tournament in which each studentwould represent a team in and compete tournament style against the class. I was the only student that won it two years in a row. He was one of the best artistsI knew. He would draw different villains and superheroes on his grading books and lay them out on the board so that everyone could see. He didn't teach bylecturing, he got everyone involved and used imagery (as I said earlier he is an artist) to convey what he was talking about with a piece of colored chalk. Oneof the best teachers I have ever had. I need to swing by the old school and surprise him.

If there were more teachers that taught with the enthusiasm he has
eek.gif
pimp.gif
. Kids would love going to school.

Mr. C. has had the biggest, most positive influence on my life. Had it not been for him I have no clue where my life would be now. He is definitely still mybiggest mentor and a huge supporter.

Used Socratic teaching methods like your teacher and really urged me to push my own boundaries. I'm still going to pay for one of his boys' collegeeducation.

ms %$#!/coach %$#!(that was her real last name until she got married). i dropped honors english my sophomore year because the teacher HATED me and went down toregular 10th grade english. she came in halfway through the first semester because the first teacher had a panic attack and couldn't stand the classanymore and retired. at first she hated me and all that, but when she saw that i wasn't an idiot like half the class she became cool.

she was only 26 at the time and for in class assignments she would break down the meanings of bob marley's songs and have us break down some of his othersongs and what we thought he was trying to say.

i was going through this class real easy, 130% easy cause she was always giving out extra credit since that class had a lot of bad @#$ kids in there, and shewould just take roll and have me take the scantron to the office and tell me i could go home and all that. she wanted me to become the girl's basketballmanager cause i wasn't involved in a winter sport and she was the coolest chick ever.

the following year, i became her student aide since i had a free class and all i would have to do is insert a few papers and i'd be lurking NT all day orleave if i wanted. easily one of the coolest people i've met in my life. she was smart, had style, could relate to students since she was so young, greatlistener and kept secrets (i told her a bunch of bad $#!* that i did that could have gotten me kicked out of the ASB), and was just a great overall person.

Originally Posted by awwsome

Originally Posted by biff lawson

pimp.gif
Hand in Hand
laugh.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
he was that dude so Mellow and i got an A....dude used towear Mick Foley Sweats with a dope Bomber jacket
pimp.gif

Randy Pagel 6-8th grade choir.. Taught us more than how to sing life lessons, how to better yourself, he thrived to make us number one

Mr Campbell - Classical Studies
pimp.gif
learning about Alexander the Great was hilarious, but insanely awesome..

Mr Knuckey - Graphics and Computer Aided Design. Dude was so chill.

Mr. Kulnaheck - Psychology teacher highschool

He was fired for his different style in teaching. They told him to stick to the program or leave, dude left. I was heated.

Mr stillworth history teacher

He made teaching and learning fun. If you cussed in his class, you get 10 push ups. haha
Some dude had like 170 at the end of the year, so the last 3 days the kid finished all of em.

My Middle School Home Room teacher - Mrs. M - I'm not gonna put her govt out there like that

She used to be hard on me but looking back I deserved it
She always used to say " Your smart but you are so lazy"
She used to always stress how stupid ppl could be at their worst, something I've just truly come to understand.
I can't remember too many individual things that she taught me, per se, but when something comes up, I think about her and think ' Ms. M told me aboutthis'

She allowed me to be a sort of guinea pig in this program that allowed me to take the SAT's back in Middle School
Because of that I got the opportunity to go to a program called CTY/CAA by Johns Hopkins University
The program was not free and Goldman Sachs payed on my behalf but I had to participate in a couple lectures and programs in exchange

I was put into a group and had to come up with a mock company and enter a competition
My group went on to win it and because of that we had the opportunity to do the speech/pitch for other ppl
First time I stepped foot unto Park Ave and saw how Wealthy ppl live, which ended up being a double edged sword in terms of my psyche, seeing as how at the endof that night I went back home to a rat and roach infested basement

BTW - Who the %$#+ has elevators in a private house?

I could go on but I'll leave it at that

all the black dudes(II)

they were always chilled, didnt have us do BS work...straight to the point.

Mr. Sangalli - Drama Teacher in the 10th grade and English Teacher in the 12th.
Dude cared about all of his students and had a daily mission to challenge you. He is the reason I still pursue acting now.

Ms. Catalina Heredia english class high school. She opened up with a couple of cliched words and always made us think about every word we said. She taught uswhat every other teacher was too scared to teach. Plus she could kick our @%+ if it came to be. She took no crap from anyone and once went head to head withthe princpal and PWNED him in front of us.

Mr Ruvalcaba, basketball coach. Dude was mad when training but he turned the team from a 2-20 bunch of wanna be Jordans to a 22-win perfect season whereeveryone (and I mean everyone) played ball. He didnt care if it was finals, pick ups, or scrimmage. The lesson train hard and you get minutes on the court.

Back
Top Bottom