NTers 24+....Suits...I needs help on them...where do I go, what do I look for?

Gill Baka Esq. LLC.

formerly grimlock
alright so i'm really trying to get my grown man on and I have enough street clothes, now I need to invest in some suits...right now...here's my logic:

light grey suit - weddings, formal events
charcoal suit - interviews, working
navy suit - interviews, weddings
black suit - working

Someone school me...i'm looking for some nice fitting suits in the $400-500 range each...I got a family event in May, I got a wedding in Tampa in August, I start grad school in Sept so I needz some advice.

I was gonna try Express, Macys, Banana, Top Shop, and uniqlo....

Thanks for the advice

I'm only 21
smile.gif

Macys, might be able to find a decent suit there like any other off the rack suit it'll need alterations. BR I've never had any luck there and just a simple no to all the other places.
J Crew is decent. Depending on your body type you can find a cheap/barely decent suit at H&M

You should try out Indochino too, just send them your measurements.

Also idk what you do for your job, you don't have to wear just black suits at work.

What's the quality like from Indochino? Some of their stuff looks nice and the prices are great.

I need a couple suits.

check out bachrach homie. They got some fly suits there and they usually have a deal going were you buy a jacket and pants, and get the shirt, tie and cuff links free

Oh. and I needed a suit within a week back in December so I went to Jos A Bank. Talked them down to a nice price and after alterations it came out okay.
Most people don't recommend places like that and Mens Warehouse though

I haven't used them. But most people seem to like them, just gotta make sure you send them the correct measurements

Originally Posted by omgitswes

Oh. and I needed a suit within a week back in December so I went to Jos A Bank. Talked them down to a nice price and after alterations it came out okay.
Jos. A Banks is much nicer than Mens Warehouse. I go there 'cus my boy hooks me up with 70% off suits and 50% off shirts and if I get a suit he only charges me for alterations on the pants. Got a $895 and a $595 suit and two $100 dress shirts for under $600 after alterations. 

Originally Posted by Destination Kicks

Originally Posted by omgitswes

Jos. A Banks is much nicer than Mens Warehouse. I go there 'cus my boy hooks me up with 70% off suits and 50% off shirts and if I get a suit he only charges me for alterations on the pants. Got a $895 and a $595 suit and two $100 dress shirts for under $600 after alterations. 

Hi, BFF.
smile.gif

Never seen a thread that mirrors me as much.

Same grad school start date AND two weddings ...

I'm not ready to pay $500 per suit doe. I'll cop a cheapo off the rack and get it altered for half that price famb.

Bought my first gq magazine ever yesterday to get pointers and I think having a sense of style does matter in the work place...

I also don't think black is only for work, grey is just for formal, etc...

In4answers though, fambs. Enlighten us.

pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Go to Jcrew pick up 2 Ludlows, after 15% off you'll be around your price range, get them tailored, the jacket ha a very nice slim fit so you might not need to do anything to it, the pants might need some tapering as hemming depending on your height and how you want it to fit.

go to a men's warehouse store or something similar.  have a sales person help you and have them get it tailored for you.  Expect to throw down a few bills. 

Originally Posted by ksteezy

Go to Jcrew pick up 2 Ludlows, after 15% off you'll be around your price range, get them tailored, the jacket ha a very nice slim fit so you might not need to do anything to it, the pants might need some tapering as hemming depending on your height and how you want it to fit.

Tuesday I bought 2 nice fitting suits from Men Warehouse for $450. Because my shoulders and back are large the mens warehouse was a better option because of the variety in stock. I would also recommend glancing in some forums for people of the same body size to see how you want the suit to fit on you when you get there. Brooks Brothers aren't bad neither but you have to know what your looking for like most other places.

mens warehouse..... buy 1 get 1 free.... was thinking about getting but dont know if i need them right now

don't go to jos a bank. 
jos a bank has had sales on their suits since i was born.

check out gilt.com they have a suit up sale almost once a week with really nice suits, as long as you know your size and a good tailor nearby you'll be fine. 

j crew ludlow suits are nice. I personally have seven suits, and two i had bespoke in asia, best suits ever, but when i buy off the rack i tend to go to nordstrom rack, they have hugo boss, calvin klein, a lot of nice brand names for the low, and their tailoring department is pretty well priced. got a $900 hugo boss suit for around $200 after alterations. 

to add to your list of places, united colors of benneton has a lot of slimmer sleek styles, the quality obviously isn't amazing but for around $250 its pretty good. 

maces always has ralph lauren suits which i quite like, though they're usually older people styles. 

what I would personally do if I were you is pick up one solid black suit, one grey suit, and one navy blazer. navy blazers are the most versatile pieces you'll ever own, look good with grey, black, khaki, etc you can do a lot with it.

btw im 19, but i wear a suit every day. 

NT with the quickness...gotta love this place.

Wes
pimp.gif

Ksteezy's fav spot J.Crew...forgot about that place, I gotta head down to soho and check it out.

Just checked the banana site and $500 for just the blazer? Disgusting. I mean I went in there one time and they had a dope looking light grey suit but just checked the site and there was really only 1 suit that I saw worth the price tag.

So when we're talking suit quality, what materials should we really look for? I have an express suit and it's the worst...it's made of this polyester/cotton material and it attracts lint, dust...looked nice when I first bought it...went to a wedding, started dancing and hugging all the womenz and then the next morning the suit looked like crap....

What's wrong with men's warehouse? I buy all my suits there. They have a pretty good selection and I'd never by a suit online. Yeah you can get them tailored but the right fit is important, there are some things a tailor can not change.

The majority of the brands that are in this thread are sold at Men's Warehouse...

I'm thinking of picking something up at Macy's since I have a $100 gift card. Anyone know of any good, affordable tailors in the city?

also check places like Off Sacks and Nordstrom Rack...ive heard a lot people say they have found good suits there.

Express is not worth the prices PLEASE dont do that....other tips, no steve harvey suits or that cheesy monotone thing guys do (same color suit shirt tie) .....and if you want to wear a color or patterned shirt, play it safe with light blues, greys, browns....not as many people can pull off that other stuff like they think

Express, H&M, and BR if you're a slim guy like me. 5'11 170EDIT: Of course I don't mean go buy this stuff at regular prices these stores constantly have sales so you'll be good. You don't wanna look like MJ.

Not sure if they have Zara in the US, but they are good for the slim fit type look (euro look). Love my suit, came out to around $230 (blazer and pants) give or take $20.

Also check out http://www.styleforum.net/ . It's NT but for men's clothing.

$500 per suit?
eek.gif
If New York has a K&G Men's Store then go there first.

Otherwise you're going to overpay for the same suits.

I bought a 3 piece Steve Harvey suit for $130 the other day and another dope 3 piece that was $120

They currently have a buy 1 get 2 free sale on select suits, so I got a magic Johnson suit for $200 and 2 Stacy Adam's suits for free.

Go to K&G, Grim. All my suits are from there and everytime I'm at a business professional event I get compliments on my suits

Back
Top Bottom