NTers 24+....Suits...I needs help on them...where do I go, what do I look for?

Originally Posted by ill steelo

$500 per suit?
eek.gif
If New York has a K&G Men's Store then go there first.

Otherwise you're going to overpay for the same suits.

I bought a 3 piece Steve Harvey suit for $130 the other day and another dope 3 piece that was $120

They currently have a buy 1 get 2 free sale on select suits, so I got a magic Johnson suit for $200 and 2 Stacy Adam's suits for free.

Go to K&G, Grim. All my suits are from there and everytime I'm at a business professional event I get compliments on my suits

Not sure if srs

Originally Posted by 703 Hwy

$500 per suit?
eek.gif

I bought a 3 piece Steve Harvey suit for $130 the other day and another dope 3 piece that was $120

They currently have a buy 1 get 2 free sale on select suits, so I got a magic Johnson suit for $200 and 2 Stacy Adam's suits for free.

Go to K&G, Grim. All my suits are from there and everytime I'm at a business professional event I get compliments on my suits

Not sure if srs
real question is did you cop the fedora?!

steve-harvey-newswire-300a032107.jpg

I'm dead srs.

I was speaking with an employee the other day and he days dudes come in sometimes and buy up a ton to resale at those $500 prices and stuff

$500 per suit?
eek.gif

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]comedy [/color]
roll.gif
roll.gif

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]This place actually exists, I thought you were joking with the name of those suits mixed in with the prices [/color]
laugh.gif
[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)] [/color]
eek.gif
[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)] .. I'm going to pay this place a visit next time I'm in the city.[/color]

Suits are up and down on prices...it really depends on where you go and what material you're getting...

Macy's always has some kinda deal going on, probably not as elaborate as some of the other places but at least you'll know you're getting a good quality suit for probably $350.

J. Crew has some really solid suits, but they're more in the BR range...so expect to hit that $500 range on the entire suit (i'm assuming that $500 blazer you seen was made of wool or suede or something
laugh.gif
)

H&M has some really cheaply made suits. BUT, they are cheap...and if you need a cheap suit for a night out or something then it's not so bad...

Just remember, you'll probably want to get them tailored (Taylor Gang)...so you might need to save a little bit of money on the side to get the pants cut off exactly how you want them, and hopefully you won't need to adjust your blazer on the wrist area..

Posted in Trends in Tuxedosby bill@bridalexpochicago.com

Mar142012

On my long list of pet peeves in life are men’s suits and how they are improperly tailored. This happens more often than you think and for me, one small detail can really throw off the whole look. Did you ever see a really handsome man wearing a suit and it looks either sloppy or (worse) like he raided Pee Wee Herman’s closet? Disappointing, to say the least. For example, the suit on the the left is obviously too big but has been altered to the point where in  the picture on the right, it appears to be about a half size too small.

I understand this is the trend right now; tight fitting pant legs and tight fitting jackets. But think about what 5 years and 5 lbs is going to do to the look of the suit. When buying  a suit or tuxedo for your wedding, going for a classic look will NEVER be a bad fashion choice. In addition, if you study the picture closely you will see diagonal lines in the jacket from the armhole to the button. A well fitted suit will not have those diagonal lines when the jacket is buttoned, it will fit smooth and hang straight down from the point of the button.

Having a touch of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, I consulted a top notch tailor to discuss the proper fit of a man’s suit.  Here are the tips and hints I have put together for you when having your wedding suit or tuxedo tailored:

PANTS - The back of the pant leg should rest at the top of the sole of the shoe. The point where the sole meets the shoe is where the back  pant hem should be.

images

The front of the pant should taper up and have a 1/2″ break (pleat) in the front so it rests gently on the top of the shoe in front.

6a00d83452491d69e20120a657b277970b-250wi

Never trust anyone who advises you to wear a belt and suspenders at the same time. Choose one or the other.
lithgow_suspenders_72dpi.jpg

SLEEVES- Make a fist. If the cuff falls at the tip of your fingers it is the right length.

SHIRT – No matter what style of shirt or jacket, the shirt sleeves should be 1/2

Mens Warehouse is pretty straight to me... Got a like a $600-$700 slim fit Kenneth Cole suit for 3 somethin plus a pair of Cole Haans and alterations. Will be going back for a buy 1 get 1 free type deal or something similar

Beatjunkie nice article man.

So wait I've known for a long time that people play Men's warehouse like no tomorrow because of the ill fitting 90's suits they carry...are they on the come-up now?

Originally Posted by GrimlocK

Beatjunkie nice article man.

So wait I've known for a long time that people play Men's warehouse like no tomorrow because of the ill fitting 90's suits they carry...are they on the come-up now?

pretty much every place will carry some selection of slimmer fitting "euro" type suits...but MW for the most part caters to a different crowd so the selection will be small and usually not part of any specials...

I'd Strongly recommend going to a tailor and customizing it. It might cost a bit more, but depending on your tailor and how good he/she is they'll have you looking like money!

In the end, if you go to express, uniqlo, banana republic etc, and getting it hemmed and stuff you might come out paying the same anyways or plus some.

thanks for the article fambs...

quick question, doe...

i have a suit that's not necessarily a "modern fit"... can i get it altered to where it is a modern fit?

its mostly the jacket. the pants are cool.

Originally Posted by ricky409

quick question, doe...

i have a suit that's not necessarily a "modern fit"... can i get it altered to where it is a modern fit?

This. I want to get something close to that photo on the other page, just not as tight. I can't even find a tailor at the moment, but I would like some advice as to what to ask for.

Originally Posted by Destination Kicks

Originally Posted by omgitswes

Oh. and I needed a suit within a week back in December so I went to Jos A Bank. Talked them down to a nice price and after alterations it came out okay.
Most people don't recommend places like that and Mens Warehouse though
Jos. A Banks is much nicer than Mens Warehouse. I go there 'cus my boy hooks me up with 70% off suits and 50% off shirts and if I get a suit he only charges me for alterations on the pants. Got a $895 and a $595 suit and two $100 dress shirts for under $600 after alterations. 
Jos. A Banks online is the only way I'll buy suits from them. They always have crazy discounts on their suits and shirts, like this weekend they have 50% off everything and 60% off the second item. Then when it arrives, just take it to the closest store for alterations.

Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman

$500 per suit?
eek.gif

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]comedy [/color]
roll.gif
roll.gif

Dudes really out here rocking Steve Harvey choppa suits though. 
roll.gif

Patiently waits for the choppa suit from the Steve Harvey collection.

I bought my wedding 3 piece suit from MW...if I could go back in time I probably would have spent about 200$ more for a Ludlow and would have been much happier, I like my wedding suit, but after buying a ludlow, just seems like a no brainer...with that said, nothing wrong with MW but know that all you need is a bit more money for a much more modern suit that won't need as much alterations, I literally had 4 fittings before I settled and still was not content with the fit, MW tailors suck balls, they want to do %!#@ their way.

Originally Posted by Antidope

Originally Posted by ricky409

quick question, doe...

This. I want to get something close to that photo on the other page, just not as tight. I can't even find a tailor at the moment, but I would like some advice as to what to ask for.
Y'all should head into the Dressing Better thread or better yet make a styleforum account and ask the guys in MC. They can offer more assistance than NT, unless nii shows up in here.

This is the 3 piece I bought for $130. They actually had a sale so it came out to be $80.

Spoiler [+]
Spoiler [+]
This is the buy 1 get 2 free I bought. I let my brother borrow the Magic Johnson, I'll pick it up on Sunday & post pics later. It's not really professional though
laugh.gif
. The other 2 are much more professional.

Spoiler [+]
Spoiler [+]
Spoiler [+]

Here is another one I purchased for $130, regular $160.

Spoiler [+]
Spoiler [+]

I bought the Steve Harvey yesterday, so it's in alterations. I'll pick it up next week & post pics. It looks like the first 3 piece I posted except the stripes are light blue. I picked up another Magic Johnson & 2 Stacy Adams with the buy 1 get 2 free deal that same day & they are in alterations as well.

Back
Top Bottom