NTers living in college, i need your opinion on this

I'm living in a dorm, and use the school's wireless internet. Do you guys think it is okay to download music from sites like mediafire and usershare?
I'm confused because for example, when Kanye drops his G.O.O.D. Friday songs, he is giving them away for free on mediafire or usershare, so I don't see why there should be a problem.

However, I understand that it is possible to download CDs from that site, which would make it illegal. I don't know if the school would consider it illegal downloading music from those sites

does anyone download songs from these sites?

I'm living in a dorm, and use the school's wireless internet. Do you guys think it is okay to download music from sites like mediafire and usershare?
I'm confused because for example, when Kanye drops his G.O.O.D. Friday songs, he is giving them away for free on mediafire or usershare, so I don't see why there should be a problem.

However, I understand that it is possible to download CDs from that site, which would make it illegal. I don't know if the school would consider it illegal downloading music from those sites

does anyone download songs from these sites?

There's a huge difference between an artist giving a way a piece of work and someone downloading copyrighted material intended for retail.

There's a huge difference between an artist giving a way a piece of work and someone downloading copyrighted material intended for retail.

Originally Posted by Trent Ferris

i don't see what this has to do with being in college.

His college or university doesn't allow the students to download music in the dorms probably
nerd.gif

youll b straight tho

His college or university doesn't allow the students to download music in the dorms probably
nerd.gif

youll b straight tho

Originally Posted by Falcon4567

yeah, but since they're both available to download on the same website (mediafire), idk if the college will think that i am downloading illegal music when i am not. i wouldn't download cds or anything, just the kanye songs and any mixtapes that artists put out for free.

yeah, but since they're both available to download on the same website (mediafire), idk if the college will think that i am downloading illegal music when i am not. i wouldn't download cds or anything, just the kanye songs and any mixtapes that artists put out for free.

Originally Posted by Just bLAzed

You're fine.

Originally Posted by Just bLAzed

You're fine.

so many people in my dorm got banned from using university internet because they used limewire. not sure if it's the same for those sites though.

so many people in my dorm got banned from using university internet because they used limewire. not sure if it's the same for those sites though.

Originally Posted by NooEra

nerd.gif
This.

OP, sites like Mediafire and Usershare are good. Its torrents and file sharing that get people's entire HDs wiped with no regard for what may be on it and lose their Internet privileges.

The problem is that those sites are pretty much primarily used for illegal downloads even if there are some legal ones so it makes sense to ban the site outright because its easier than investing each download on a case by case basis; your school is not in the business of keeping track of the legality of each individual download. Even if you personally would never download anything outside of copyright if they leave that access point open other people would and they don't want that.

The problem is that those sites are pretty much primarily used for illegal downloads even if there are some legal ones so it makes sense to ban the site outright because its easier than investing each download on a case by case basis; your school is not in the business of keeping track of the legality of each individual download. Even if you personally would never download anything outside of copyright if they leave that access point open other people would and they don't want that.

Originally Posted by NooEra

nerd.gif
This.

OP, sites like Mediafire and Usershare are good. Its torrents and file sharing that get people's entire HDs wiped with no regard for what may be on it and lose their Internet privileges.

when i'm on the wireless on campus i CAN'T download music...

i doubt you'll get in trouble tho OP if you can even do it...

Back
Top Bottom