Nters with a career, do you make more money than your parents?

Discussion in 'General' started by allreds, Nov 12, 2015.

1. allreds

allreds

If you have a job/career that doesn't pay nearly close to what your parents ever made, does that mean you're a failure? Assuming you already have housing/food/rent covered. Does the extra income to buy luxury items really decide if you've made it in life or not? This has been bugging me for quite some time and I just wanna know your guys's opinion on this.

2. thekid3456

thekid3456

Well I just started my career since I just graduated college but I do not make enough bread compared to my father. Hopefully with time I will reach him but is going to be tough. My father is a succesful business man and I work in social work lol so yeah long road ahead of me if I ever reach him. I do not feel like a failure. As long as I comfortable and not going through tough times income wise I will always feel happy.

alchemist iq likes this.
  3. al audi

al audi Banned

its not too late, parents came from a different era it def makes a huge difference

4. sea manup

sea manup

not eem close

thats the goal though

5. mplsdunk

mplsdunk

I probably make what my mom makes give or take a couple racks. No way in hell I was a few years ago though.

I do a lot of side hustling. That's like 50% of my income. Just helping the homies out with their businesses. That also makes it impossible for me to know what I make in a year. :lol: I keep it all in the family. My crews economy> working for a random.

6. zapatohead408

zapatohead408

my father came to this country for a better life. When he started his family he worked his *** off so we could someday have a better life than he did (not that his was bad).

I was brought up with this mentality.

Currently I make 20-25K ish less than my old man but a good amount more than my mother. In 2 years I'll be making more than him and at the end of my apprenticeship It'll be even more.

andretti likes this.
  7. mplsdunk

mplsdunk

You're an electrician or millwright right? I just remember you making a thread about learning a trade. Glad it's going well for you.

8. andretti

andretti

9. zapatohead408

zapatohead408

That's right I'm an apprentice Electrician. Thanks fellas, hope you guys are doing well too.

Let's all be great!

10. mplsdunk

mplsdunk

:pimp: I'm good too.

In for greatness.

11. andretti

andretti

Slowly but surely I'll come here one day and say I'm a ase certified master technician :pimp:

12. Top Boy

Top Boy formerly jay patt

No, but right on his ***.

Freshly 21. Already knows he's about to get finessed by the Hustle Gang [​IMG]

13. sneakaprince

sneakaprince

I know for a fact I don't make what my mom makes nor will I ever unless I have my own business.

I'm sure I make more than my pops tho. The irony is my mom is a social worker and my pops is a engineer.

14. kdawg

kdawg Administrator Staff Member

Yep. It's not failure - it's that we've been screwed over by the previous generation - they got theirs and didn't think about who was coming next.

Anyone wantin to start a business now - never mind raise a family or buy a home is paying multiples of what they paid in startup costs. That generation are benefitting from property prices etc way higher than 40 years ago but the whole thing is built on a pile of sand.

15. Top Boy

Top Boy formerly jay patt

This is the scariest part about it all.

Now that I know what corporate is like I don't want to throw my life away trapped on this step of the ladder

But the opportunity to take that next step looks like it's slipping away so quickly I won't even got the opportunity to try taking that next step [​IMG]

Interesting to see what the future holds for us

16. rodrigofresh

rodrigofresh

Yes. 

17. yeah

yeah

I'm one of the top earners in my immediate family. My dad and uncle are the only two I know for a fact make more than I do. For what it's worth, I make more than my dad made when he was my age. I'll probably catch up in

18. luckyluchiano

luckyluchiano

Imo corporate America is just a good way to build some capital for side ventures/investments, and have someone else cover training to be able to gain skills so that you can become your own boss, the days of staying in a job for 40 yrs are over.

dman22193 and swaggdaddy like this.
  19. jking0821

jking0821

My dad def makes more then me. I make more than my mom. But the one thing that my dad passed to me (he was never really around and my parents divorced when i was 6) was the money isn't the goal. Work until you make enough to get by and try to have a flexible schedule and try to enjoy your life as much as possible.

If i make half of what my dad makes but can come home every day and raise my future children and take care of my future wife i consider that to be a bigger success then anything he could provide monetarily. All i want is a Camry, a small house, a wife who loves me and kids who appreciate responsibility and hard work....and sports wouldn't hurt :lol:

Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
    ace rawstein and swaggdaddy like this.
  20. jumpman247

jumpman247

My dads a lawyer/CPA I'm not making his salary in this lifetime.