Nters with a career, do you make more money than your parents?

If you have a job/career that doesn't pay nearly close to what your parents ever made, does that mean you're a failure? Assuming you already have housing/food/rent covered. Does the extra income to buy luxury items really decide if you've made it in life or not? This has been bugging me for quite some time and I just wanna know your guys's opinion on this.

Well I just started my career since I just graduated college but I do not make enough bread compared to my father. Hopefully with time I will reach him but is going to be tough. My father is a succesful business man and I work in social work lol so yeah long road ahead of me if I ever reach him. I do not feel like a failure. As long as I comfortable and not going through tough times income wise I will always feel happy.

its not too late, parents came from a different era it def makes a huge difference

I probably make what my mom makes give or take a couple racks. No way in hell I was a few years ago though.

I do a lot of side hustling. That's like 50% of my income. Just helping the homies out with their businesses. That also makes it impossible for me to know what I make in a year. :lol: I keep it all in the family. My crews economy> working for a random.

my father came to this country for a better life. When he started his family he worked his *** off so we could someday have a better life than he did (not that his was bad).

I was brought up with this mentality.

Currently I make 20-25K ish less than my old man but a good amount more than my mother. In 2 years I'll be making more than him and at the end of my apprenticeship It'll be even more.

my father came to this country for a better life. When he started his family he worked his *** off so we could someday have a better life than he did (not that his was bad).

Currently I make 20-25K ish less than my old man but a good amount more than my mother. In 2 years I'll be making more than him and at the end of my apprenticeship It'll be even more.

You're an electrician or millwright right? I just remember you making a thread about learning a trade. Glad it's going well for you.

You're an electrician or millwright right? I just remember you making a thread about learning a trade. Glad it's going well for you.

That's right I'm an apprentice Electrician. Thanks fellas, hope you guys are doing well too.

Let's all be great!

Slowly but surely I'll come here one day and say I'm a ase certified master technician :pimp:

No, but right on his ***.

Freshly 21. Already knows he's about to get finessed by the Hustle Gang
pimp.gif

I know for a fact I don't make what my mom makes nor will I ever unless I have my own business.

I'm sure I make more than my pops tho. The irony is my mom is a social worker and my pops is a engineer.

its not too late, parents came from a different era it def makes a huge difference

Yep. It's not failure - it's that we've been screwed over by the previous generation - they got theirs and didn't think about who was coming next.

Anyone wantin to start a business now - never mind raise a family or buy a home is paying multiples of what they paid in startup costs. That generation are benefitting from property prices etc way higher than 40 years ago but the whole thing is built on a pile of sand.

Yep. It's not failure - it's that we've been screwed over by the previous generation - they got theirs and didn't think about who was coming next.

Anyone wantin to start a business now - never mind raise a family or buy a home is paying multiples of what they paid in startup costs. That generation are benefitting from property prices etc way higher than 40 years ago but the whole thing is built on a pile of sand.
This is the scariest part about it all.

Now that I know what corporate is like I don't want to throw my life away trapped on this step of the ladder

But the opportunity to take that next step looks like it's slipping away so quickly I won't even got the opportunity to try taking that next step
mean.gif

Interesting to see what the future holds for us

I'm one of the top earners in my immediate family. My dad and uncle are the only two I know for a fact make more than I do. For what it's worth, I make more than my dad made when he was my age. I'll probably catch up in

This is the scariest part about it all.

Now that I know what corporate is like I don't want to throw my life away trapped on this step of the ladder

But the opportunity to take that next step looks like it's slipping away so quickly I won't even got the opportunity to try taking that next step :smh:

Interesting to see what the future holds for us

Imo corporate America is just a good way to build some capital for side ventures/investments, and have someone else cover training to be able to gain skills so that you can become your own boss, the days of staying in a job for 40 yrs are over.

My dad def makes more then me. I make more than my mom. But the one thing that my dad passed to me (he was never really around and my parents divorced when i was 6) was the money isn't the goal. Work until you make enough to get by and try to have a flexible schedule and try to enjoy your life as much as possible.

If i make half of what my dad makes but can come home every day and raise my future children and take care of my future wife i consider that to be a bigger success then anything he could provide monetarily. All i want is a Camry, a small house, a wife who loves me and kids who appreciate responsibility and hard work....and sports wouldn't hurt :lol:

Last edited:
Still in school so it will be a while but I intend to overshadow my parents combined by the time I'm 40.

OP,

Only thing I care about is thriving and providing for my family. If my mom and girl are happy, im happy.

Along with all of that I want to build for me, my family and my community (do my part to right the ship). Prosperity within my family is my ultimate goal.

If we're talking dollars and cents, I'm on the cusp of making my mother's highest salary. Around March or so, I'll eclipse that. Its been a journey but I'm only 25 and don't want to be one of those people that have to slave away their entire life.

Also...Luxury items can be attained at any income level so that doesn't mean much. I know a dude whipping a BMW X6 and can barely make rent, homie make like 32 or 35k.

Dam yall sound like you're doing ok for yourselves I'm happy to hear that. Just can't wait until it's my turn lol. I won't be working on my career until I'm 30..... Just got into the nursing program at my CC

Dam yall sound like you're doing ok for yourselves I'm happy to hear that. Just can't wait until it's my turn lol. I won't be working on my career until I'm 30..... Just got into the nursing program at my CC
Good luck my dude :pimp:

Not even close my parents ballin, could have had my pops put me on a job but chose my own lane. 
happy.gif

Back
Top Bottom