#NTNurses RNs (Registered Nurses)/Student Nurses Of NikeTalk Official Thread.

Has anyone did a online program to get their BSN? I'm thinking about getting my Associate's in Nursing first then doing a online program for my BSN while I work or would I be better off just getting my BSN in person and skipping the Associate's? The Associate's and in person BSN are both 2 years programs by the way.

Has anyone did a online program to get their BSN? I'm thinking about getting my Associate's in Nursing first then doing a online program for my BSN while I work or would I be better off just getting my BSN in person and skipping the Associate's? The Associate's and in person BSN are both 2 years programs by the way.
I've seen a ton of people do the RN to BSN option online  through WGU while working full time. I hear you pay for a flat charge for a semester, but you're not limited on how many classes you can take, i.e. they don't charge per class. So it's really up to you on how fast you want to finish it.

If it takes 2 years to get your BSN and 2 years to get your ADN/ASN, why wouldn't you just go after your BSN and be done with it? Is your ADN/ASN program not in-person as well?

Last edited:
I'm taking the plunge and going for my Family Nurse Practitioner this fall, online program, 18k total cost.

I'm taking the plunge and going for my Family Nurse Practitioner this fall, online program, 18k total cost.
Nice.  What school? $18K sounds like a steal.  

Speaking of online RN to BSN programs, I'm currently doing Stony Brook University's program right now and it's an absolute joke.  Other than pathophysiology and pharmacology this entire program is busy work.  I'm breezing through this with a 4.0  when I worked hard to get B+s in certain classes in my ADN program.  I graduate in December and that can't come soon enough.

The one benefit I got from this program is that it solidified my decision to become a CRNA.  Going through all of these BS classes made me realize how much I love the "hard" sciences.  Patho and pharm were the only classes that really got my attention.  Management and theory can suck my ugly ****. 

Yeah, I spent a minute looking for what's most affordable and online, Columbus State is the program. When it comes down to it in, doesn't matter what school you graduated from, but matters what experience you have imo.

I've seen a ton of people do the RN to BSN option online  through WGU while working full time. I hear you pay for a flat charge for a semester, but you're not limited on how many classes you can take, i.e. they don't charge per class. So it's really up to you on how fast you want to finish it.

If it takes 2 years to get your BSN and 2 years to get your ADN/ASN, why wouldn't you just go after your BSN and be done with it? Is your ADN/ASN program not in-person as well?
It would be due to cost both schools have good programs from my research, but it would be around $10,000 to attend my community college and get my ASN, and it would be around $30,000 to attend the state school I'm considering. Those numbers are for total program cost btw.

It would be due to cost both schools have good programs from my research, but it would be around $10,000 to attend my community college and get my ASN, and it would be around $30,000 to attend the state school I'm considering. Those numbers are for total program cost btw.
 Either way, you could work right away after getting the degree. As someone said earlier, experience is pretty much everything, so it really just depends on what type of situation you're in.

Spend more money and be done faster, or spend less money but be done slower (but possibly able to work while going to school). A lot of health care organizations are helping with tuition cost as well, so keep that in mind if you're able to work rn. I know a lot of people like the cc route because it's cheap and easier to get into compared to a BSN program, and they can work while in school for their RN to BSN.

I did UTA's RN-BSN and it cost me a little under 10k. To be honest do any program that's affordable and get good grades if you want to pursue a APN degree. Focus more on experience.

A little over 7months as a nurse! Im definately getting better, my co-workers are the bomb except one or two who are fairly lazy to be young.. i hope everyone else is doing well

What's the average nurse age?

I'm 26. But with how I'm lagging it looks like I'll be a nurse by 30 :lol:

What's the average nurse age?

I'm 26. But with how I'm lagging it looks like I'll be a nurse by 30 :lol:

I'm on the same boat as you. Will be 30 by the time I get my ADN. Does anybody hate clinicals? Seriously today was one of my worst days. Had a nurse I didn't like and felt like I was just a nuisance to her. She would never include me whenever she passed meds, assessed, etc. I had to literally follow her around or else I would've missed out on interesting stuff. On top of that when she gave me a simple task I managed to **** it up even though I know how to do it :smh: . So yeah that made me look really bad in front of the patient. Not surprisingly she gave me a bad review after the end of the shift. The nurse I had last week was like a whole new person. He actually wanted me to learn stuff.

Allreds, you have to take into account a few things(im sure there are way more, but this is what i can gather in a short response), one the nurse you were following may suck at time management, its very hard for a student to see and gauge how good someones time management is.. two the nurse maybe new(less than a years experience), a few nurses ive graduated with have had to preceptor/mentor students/employess with only 6mons of experience, and the nurse might not mention their length of experience lol.. but hang in there!! A bad review isnt always bad.. you want feedback(good/bad). Some teachers know good bs feedback when they see it.. so it gives you a chance to get more good reviews as time progress, it shows youve made adequate adjustments and thats what you fairly want in nursing.. goodluck famb!

Clinicals were hit or miss with me, you either have a willing nurse or the one that is upset they're with a student. Unfortunately clinical is like a right of passage, really you're just working on being comfortable touching and talking to patients. You learn procedures while on the job. I work night shift otherwise I'd always be willing to take a student. Good luck.

She told me she has 6 years of experience when I asked her. So I'm guessing she really didn't like me ahaha. And thanks I'm gonna keep at it. :D

Another thing to think about is the nurse's assignment. Sometimes there is so much going on that a nurse doesn't have the time to stop and teach.

Normally if a student is assigned to me, I'll do my best to test their knowledge on their patient's disease process, meds, labs etc. I'd even slow down and walk them thru how to do something before going into a patient's room to actually do it. But yesterday, I was thrown to the wolves by my charge nurse with the assignment i was given. There was no way I would have been able to take student and do right by them.

I just passed my NCLEX
pimp.gif
Congrats fam! Making moves. 
nthat.gif

Any luck with jobs so far? 

Thanks man, not yet but I'm gonna keep on trying daily

Passed the NCLEX in right before thanksgiving. Got my license, etc mid December. Got an interview first week of Jan. Started the first week of Orientation on Monday.

My advice is - hit up EVERYONE you know for a job. Ask friends, friends of friends, family, your father's coworker's wife, whatever. From what it looks like, just having someone slide your resume to the nurse manager/hiring manager is the most important.

It sucks that I have classmates that passed their NCLEX in beginning of October (we all graduated in Aug) still haven't even gotten interviews because they didn't have anybody to hook them up.

Last edited:

Another thing to think about is the nurse's assignment. Sometimes there is so much going on that a nurse doesn't have the time to stop and teach.

Normally if a student is assigned to me, I'll do my best to test their knowledge on their patient's disease process, meds, labs etc. I'd even slow down and walk them thru how to do something before going into a patient's room to actually do it. But yesterday, I was thrown to the wolves by my charge nurse with the assignment i was given. There was no way I would have been able to take student and do right by them.
This.  I always do my best to take my time in order to teach others.  It would be a slap in the face to all of the great nurses that took time out of their day to teach me things if I didn't pay it forward.  

However, there have been nights at my facility when I've been in charge of supervising the entire building along with handling 5-6 admissions by myself and having a brand new nurse to train on top of it.  When that happens I just apologize for my speed/lack of explanation and tell them that they're just gonna have to learn by observation that night.  
mean.gif

Since this is NT, what are your current go to shoes to wear at work?

I've rocked only Flyknit racers and roshes so far. Even tho they're light, I would like more cushioning. Would Air Max 2017s, ultraboosts, or NMDs be any better? Any other suggestions?

You'll do fine. Just study and get good grades if you want to pursue a higher degree. Congrats!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom