#NTNurses RNs (Registered Nurses)/Student Nurses Of NikeTalk Official Thread.

Had my orientation for nursing school last week, and it was suggested we study for 45 hours a week. For those in bsn programs or those that graduated from one did you find yourself studying that much every week?

Nope I didn't but it all depends on how effective your study habits are. I worked full time while in nursing school. I studied about 2-3hrs a night on weekdays and maybe 3-4hrs one night on weekends and made better than average grades. Get a good routine going and you'll be fine.

Hey guys, I'm a new grad RN and have my first interview coming up for a medsurg/tele unit. Anyone have any advice on how I should prepare?

Got into nursing school. Also got the hospital I'm working at to pay my tuition. Can't wait to get started and then be done.

Thinking about getting a residency in the cardiac ICU when I'm done and then onto float pool after 2-3 yrs.

Got some former co-workers that I stay in touch with making bank doing home health and agency work. Considering doing that eventually.

so how long does it take to be a nurse
what do u have to go to school for
u have to go to college
or is it like can where u just go take a course

so how long does it take to be a nurse
what do u have to go to school for
u have to go to college
or is it like can where u just go take a course

You have to go to a university, college or a trade school. How long it takes depends on where you go.

Public universities are very competitive programs to get into a because of the cost of tuition is very inexpensive and it's a BSN program which allows you to get higher education if you plan to do so. It's also difficult to register for prerequisite courses because of the impaction, so it could take you 5-7 yrs (including prequisite classes and applying to the program and the actual program itself which is 3 yrs) if you're lucky.

Private universities Are BSN programs but tuition prices are ridiculous, but guaranteed to get you out in 4-5 years.

Community colleges offer nursing programs but theyre ADN degrees so you wouldn't be able to go for a masters degree unless you take a bridge to BSN program (takes 1 yr). It's very affordable but at the same time also competitive and impacted (prolly take 5-7years) and most schools do a lottery system, so theres a level of luck involved..

Then you have these for-profit institutions or trade schools (e.g. west coast university, united) that strictly offer medical degrees. I call these the "last resort schools" if your overall GPA and test scores (yes, there's a test For getting into nursing school) are not high enough when applying to schools I mentioned above. These schools are not that difficult to get into, but these schools are outrageously expensive to but they are accredited programs that offer all that I mentioned before.

Any strategies on reading the big fat medsurge book? I can't for the life of me read pass 2 pages without drifting off.

Any strategies on reading the big fat medsurge book? I can't for the life of me read pass 2 pages without drifting off.

I outline the chapters and throw away the fluff. Also watch Youtube videos and do NCLEX questions for reinforcement. Nursing tests are not like science classes, you pick the "best" answer.

Any of you guys work in a Bone Marrow Transplant Unit currently or formerly?

-Drew

Just got accepted for a fellowship position in the ED at a local hospital by me. Basically a full year of paid continued education, certification, and training.

Between the fact that it's an incredible opportunity and that I'm finally seeing the light at the end of the sub-acute rehab tunnel, I couldn't be happier right now.

Ok guys I need some help here. What would be a good nursing diagnosis with a patient that has rectal bleeding?

somewhere under my old acct I posted about getting my LPN and then graduating....yada yada yada

Now I'm < 2 months away from having my ADN. Already accepted a job in the RN new grad critical care residency at a local hospital. Pretty damn excited :pimp:

edit: didn't realize I had this acct since 2015 so it's under this acct :lol:

^ congrats

started my last 10 weeks of lpn/lvn today
smokin.gif

already have my classes registered for the fall so I can finish my prereqs for bridging to ADN

crazy how fast this year has went but I've learned a lot and can't wait to wrap it up in July
happy.gif

didn't think I'd juggle being a parent, student, and working full time so well....its been stressful but handling stress trying to achieve something you truly wanna be is worth it

Funny reading back on this now :lol:

Learned way more since these days w/ even more to learn once I graduate :smokin

somewhere under my old acct I posted about getting my LPN and then graduating....yada yada yada

Now I'm < 2 months away from having my ADN. Already accepted a job in the RN new grad critical care residency at a local hospital. Pretty damn excited :pimp:

edit: didn't realize I had this acct since 2015 so it's under this acct :lol:

Congrats bro. Do you know what your residency will entail?

Happy Nurses week NT fam. If you ain't getting free food this week, better hassle your managers :wink:

Back
Top Bottom