NT's LEGAL Gun Thread UPDATE...First Youtube Firearm Review Page 61

how old do you have to be to get a concealed weapons permit? I thought it was 21 but I'm not sure. BTW I live in Indiana.

Originally Posted by MrBrown

I purchased a 9mm XD last tuesday...

will be picking it up on Friday afternoon. From all the information or lack of in California it always seemed like it would be hard to buy a gun but I read up on it and was totally wrong. It was a pretty easy process... that little test was cake so no complains.

bought the essentials package which came to like $500.00 with taxes and paperwork. Not too bad. I went to Martin B Rettings in Culver City if anyone in LA needs a shop. Paid retail so nothing special but the younger dudes are cool to talk to also the asian dude is cool.

cant wait to go to the range
Congrats, I recently got the same gun, great choice.

Originally Posted by jm9312

how old do you have to be to get a concealed weapons permit? I thought it was 21 but I'm not sure. BTW I live in Indiana.
Its 18 in Indiana from what I've read. Most states go by the 21 age but apparently u can get one at 18 in your state.
I'm not picking on JM or any other person in this thread, but I do want to say this.  READ YOUR STATE BYLAWS!!! I can't stress that enough. Know your rights and the rules so that you can protect yourself.

Originally Posted by Dathbgboy

Originally Posted by jm9312

Its 18 in Indiana from what I've read. Most states go by the 21 age but apparently u can get one at 18 in your state.
I'm not picking on JM or any other person in this thread, but I do want to say this.  READ YOUR STATE BYLAWS!!! I can't stress that enough. Know your rights and the rules so that you can protect yourself.

18 for handgun licence in indiana, cant purchase from a dealer till you are 21.

Out of a possible score of 300, got a 278 on my shooting test for my license to carry today. I'll have my license within 6 weeks
bfe15f69a6b6fa20a2956815c5e1a03ffcddf92.gif

Now to figure out what I want my first handgun purchase to be.....

Originally Posted by CAFinest23

Originally Posted by TJ Detweiler

wheres the best place to start learning about guns? I've decided to buy a gun just to keep for protection locked up in a safe. It would be fun to go to the range as well. I don't want anything too small though. Anything good for about 500?

The best place to learn about guns would be going to you're local gun store and asking questions. They will be able to provide you lots of info. There are also classes to learn about guns, but asking questions here and at the gun store can save you so money. For $500 you can buy an Springfield Armory XD or maybe a used Glock.

thanks for the help. I've been reading and comparing different models. I think I want to go with either the block 19 or beretta 92fs. Which do you guys feel is a better gun?
edit: My local gun store has the block for 499. Is that a good price or would it be better finding it online and doing the transfer?

Originally Posted by TJ Detweiler

thanks for the help. I've been reading and comparing different models. I think I want to go with either the block 19 or beretta 92fs. Which do you guys feel is a better gun?
edit: My local gun store has the block for 499. Is that a good price or would it be better finding it online and doing the transfer?

Personally, i would go with the Glock. Down the line, if you decide to take her out of safe queen duty, I feel it will be more flexible. If you decide to go into the shooting sports and/or customize, you have a myriad of options as far as aftermarket parts and accesories are concerned especially for the G19. If you decide to carry, the G19 is a good size, not too small and not nearly as huge as the 92FS. The Glock is a lot lighter too. In the end it's all up to you. A few factors to consider as well is how well each feels in your hand and how well you shoot both. Like CAFinest23 said, go to a gun store. See if they have both models to rent out and test before you buy. Both are good choices. You really can't go wrong with either one.

As far as price, consider transfer fees shipping and and taxes also. Hope that helped. 

I was a ****** and let my CCW expire. Noticed it a week after the fact.

Now havent been able to carry for about a month. My renewed license should come in another week or so, but still. Feelsbadman.

The best piece of advice I can give to all of you looking to buy your first handgun is shoot the pistol first. Don't just go in hold it, shoot it. I almost made the mistake of buying a G19 after just holding it but after putting just one magazine downrange I knew it wasn't the pistol for me. There is no such thing as a one size fits all pistol. For me the S&W M&P9 was the pistol that felt the best in my hands, followed by the XD, the Beretta 92 and in a distant 4th was the G19. So please shoot before you buy because if you don't enjoy shooting the pistol, you won't practice with it.

Thanks for the help. My older brother is also going to be looking for one with me and just told me his friends dad works for the NRA and has a nice selection of guns and wants to take us shooting to see which one we want to buy. I'm pretty stoked.

Originally Posted by AR Guy

The best piece of advice I can give to all of you looking to buy your first handgun is shoot the pistol first. Don't just go in hold it, shoot it. I almost made the mistake of buying a G19 after just holding it but after putting just one magazine downrange I knew it wasn't the pistol for me. There is no such thing as a one size fits all pistol. For me the S&W M&P9 was the pistol that felt the best in my hands, followed by the XD, the Beretta 92 and in a distant 4th was the G19. So please shoot before you buy because if you don't enjoy shooting the pistol, you won't practice with it.
Indeed. I actually didn't do this but I lucked up. the XD feels right in my hands, which is great bein that it was an naive impulse investment.

Originally Posted by Infamous MG

Originally Posted by Frank Mucus

Infamous MG - Thanks fam. I haven't shot it yet. It's been collecting dust locked up.

Is that a X300 and Aimpoint PRO or CompM3 etc?
Just got mine last week, haven't shot it yet either, and yes its an X300 and Aimpoint PRO.

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

Like AR Guy said no gun is perfect for all you must shoot each gun and make you own opinion. My first gun was a Glock 17 and I was in love until I shot a Rock Island Armory 1911 which I bought. Then I was in love with an H&K USP .45 which I bought then I bought a sig p226. Now I don't like the trigger pull with a Glock.

Like AR Guy said no gun is perfect for all you must shoot each gun and make you own opinion. My first gun was a Glock 17 and I was in love until I shot a Rock Island Armory 1911 which I bought. Then I was in love with an H&K USP .45 which I bought then I bought a sig p226. Now I don't like the trigger pull with a Glock.

But to answer your question TJ between the Glock 19 and the beretta I'd choose the Glock. The beretta is smooth but it's a single/double action pistol which will take some time to get used too. Then it has a crystal firing block which has been proven to go after 20k rounds. The Glock just keeps ticking..

I'm new to guns and am looking to buy one soon. Spent the last day reading through this thread and seem pretty confused on the language used Can anyone help me out on something to start with before I get a license. Maybe a shotgun or rifle (or something with no license required). I live in upstate ny and aren't sure if the laws are the same as the city.

need a lil help identifying this gun...

slideshow_225857_1.jpg

i thought it was an mp5...but...am i wrong? any time i've ever seen this gun in person its longer and is more like a rifle than a handgun. am i missing something?

What's good men. Checking in from Afghanistan. On a somewhat small FOB which is actually great because it's away from all the major brass (Colonels, Generals, etc). We carry our weapons loaded magazine inserted, but round not chambered. I have a sweet M4-A1. It's the only M4-A1 on the FOB, the rest are M4's (M4-A1= Full Auto, M4= 3 round burst). I bought the Spec Ops Mamba Combat Fighting Sling and I cannot say enough about it...it really keeps the weapon stable and secure, yet mobile enough for quick action, a far cry from my Single Point Sling. I'm the only non-military person that carries a long gun on the FOB. So when I'm walking around in my Nike Dri-Fit jogging suit LunarEclipes and ballcap with my M4 I get a lot of puzzled looks. I used to get stopped, but I show my creds and they can't do anything about it. I will post pics of my weapon at another time TinyPic is blocked here as is most photo hosting sites. I only load 21 rounds in my mag and carry a spare mag when I wear my cargos. I load a tracer round on my 4th to last bullet so that I would know when to do a combat reload if necessary.

Anyway I see you guys are making some nice pickups...NICE suppressor BTW. The first one posted from an NT owner. Can't wait till I get back...Going to the Nation's Gun Show in Chantilly VA in February with cash in hand to pick up some quality firearms. Looking at getting a LWRC REPR or Larue Tactical OBR or PredatAR in 7.62. Looking at the Elcan Specter DR for my optics...I highly suggest you read up on the Elcan Specter. It's like having an EOTech/Aimpoint AND an ACOG all in one.

Anyway this is all I have for now. Take it easy guys.

so my gf's car keeps getting broken into. not only that but somebody tried to break into her apartment.

what is the best home defense weapon for a small framed female? she's definitely being targeted and i need a little help. thanks.

she saw some taurus handguns at a gun show recently, and was slightly interested in them. i've read that shotguns are the best guns for home defense, tho? also are taurus guns even reliable? what does everybody here consider to be the best handgun for home defense and what is the best rifle/shotgun for home defense and why?

lastly, i need something for her to handle that isn't too heavy. something for home defense and something for concealed carry (so basically two separate guns/suggestions are fine). she doesn't live in ny under overlord bloomberg fwiw and lives in a gun friendly state. thanks.

Originally Posted by debs 168

so my gf's car keeps getting broken into. not only that but somebody tried to break into her apartment.

what is the best home defense weapon for a small framed female? she's definitely being targeted and i need a little help. thanks.

she saw some taurus handguns at a gun show recently, and was slightly interested in them. i've read that shotguns are the best guns for home defense, tho? also are taurus guns even reliable? what does everybody here consider to be the best handgun for home defense and what is the best rifle/shotgun for home defense and why?

lastly, i need something for her to handle that isn't too heavy. something for home defense and something for concealed carry (so basically two separate guns/suggestions are fine). she doesn't live in ny under overlord bloomberg fwiw and lives in a gun friendly state. thanks.

I think 1 sentiment everyone will agree with is she should get something she's comfortable with. The biggest baddest most tricked out gun is worth jack if you can't properly operate it. This is IMHO, but taurus' are solid handguns. I've known 3 people with Taurus autos(millenium series)and I've never personally hard anything bad about them. I gave my dad my .357 Taurus wheel gun a few years, after I had put probably close to 800 rounds through with no issues. I think a few years ago they had quality issues. He'll, Taurus even had a pistol in the joint combat pistol trials, the OSS, that was up against more well respected brands like FN, Sig, HK. As for something for your girl and home defense, it's hard to beat a shotgun. One thing about a pistol for home defense. If you live in in an apt or townhouse, any decent handgun caliber is going to over penetrate, meaning if you miss, it,s going into someone elses home. With a ashotgun, you have a wide range of ammo choices like low recoil, different number of buck, sabots, and also less lethal. Also, a rifle with the right load could be a good choice.Like anyone else out here will tell you, the best thing to do is to go to your local fun range and try some pistols and different calibers.

Edit*

Debs. I know your in ny, I just noticed you mentioned she's in a free state. I'd go with a 12 gauge mossberg pump action for the house and an xd or m&p compact model.

Concealed carry, make sure she gets a good belt and holster. Those 2 things matter almost as much as what she's carrying

glad your doing good elder.
pimp.gif

i finally got my permit to purchase.  now i'm debating on building an ar... thinking about piecing together one off spikes.  it seems pretty easy to piece together a stripped lower receiver right? i'd just buy the upper all together and build the lower.  seems kinda fun.
laugh.gif
i'd be proud as hell.

Originally Posted by ElderWatsonDiggs

What's good men. Checking in from Afghanistan. On a somewhat small FOB which is actually great because it's away from all the major brass (Colonels, Generals, etc). We carry our weapons loaded magazine inserted, but round not chambered. I have a sweet M4-A1. It's the only M4-A1 on the FOB, the rest are M4's (M4-A1= Full Auto, M4= 3 round burst). I bought the Spec Ops Mamba Combat Fighting Sling and I cannot say enough about it...it really keeps the weapon stable and secure, yet mobile enough for quick action, a far cry from my Single Point Sling. I'm the only non-military person that carries a long gun on the FOB. So when I'm walking around in my Nike Dri-Fit jogging suit LunarEclipes and ballcap with my M4 I get a lot of puzzled looks. I used to get stopped, but I show my creds and they can't do anything about it. I will post pics of my weapon at another time TinyPic is blocked here as is most photo hosting sites. I only load 21 rounds in my mag and carry a spare mag when I wear my cargos. I load a tracer round on my 4th to last bullet so that I would know when to do a combat reload if necessary.

Anyway I see you guys are making some nice pickups...NICE suppressor BTW. The first one posted from an NT owner. Can't wait till I get back...Going to the Nation's Gun Show in Chantilly VA in February with cash in hand to pick up some quality firearms. Looking at getting a LWRC REPR or Larue Tactical OBR or PredatAR in 7.62. Looking at the Elcan Specter DR for my optics...I highly suggest you read up on the Elcan Specter. It's like having an EOTech/Aimpoint AND an ACOG all in one.

Anyway this is all I have for now. Take it easy guys.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by MPLSdunk

glad your doing good elder.
pimp.gif

i finally got my permit to purchase.  now i'm debating on building an ar... thinking about piecing together one off spikes.  it seems pretty easy to piece together a stripped lower receiver right? i'd just buy the upper all together and build the lower.  seems kinda fun.
laugh.gif
i'd be proud as hell.

I thought about building one too but then I checked the message board http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3&order=desc and the consensus was to buy a complete rifle if it was your first one. Spikes is good though. Here's a chart that's helpful https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pwswheghNQsEuEhjFwPrgTA&single=true&gid=5&output=html

Back
Top Bottom