NT's LEGAL Gun Thread UPDATE...First Youtube Firearm Review Page 61

Only have my Beretta 92a1 with streamlight TRL-1 on the rail. I turned 21 months ago and had to get my first gun
smile.gif
. I only have about 700 rounds through it and love it.

Originally Posted by richiecotite

Pretty much. I'd switch out that wood stock for something with a rubber recoil pad on the end.

probably will, i'll thug it out a few more times with a sore shoulder. unless i get used to it i'll swap it out.

Hey guys, I've been thinking about getting a gun for home defense. I live in the Bay Area, in El Cerrito (next to Richmond) and there has been a lot of home burglary's in the my neighborhood recently (all happened during broad daylight while people were at work). I live with my girlfriend and she's alone during the day while I'm at work. I was thinking about a shotgun since everyone says they're better for home defense instead of a pistol.

My question is, should I just go down to a gun shop and they'll walk me through the process? I know gun laws in California are crazy, but I've never gotten a felony so I shouldn't have any issues right? What else should I expect?

Also, what kind of shotgun do you guys recommend? Thanks in advance!
edit: I also wouldn't mind getting a pistol aswell as a shotgun. Me and my girl could make a hobby out of going to the gun range. So I might be interested in that too.

@JordanXI a shotgun would be ideal for home defense, however you have to plan on your lady being alone when it goes down. So you guys should take a trip to a local gun store together. Remington 700 is a decent shotgun as well as a mossburg 500. I'd get a shotgun with a stock/pistol grip combo attached. The stock will have better accuracy, the pistol grip will make firing from the hip easier. Guns, Hunting Fishing and more in Vacaville will give you the chance to see a lot of weapons but they are very expensive. If you plan on getting a pistol a 9mm or .380 would be ideal for you and your lady to shoot cheap. Also it's a solid round with JHP bullets

What ammunition do you use for personal defense? I bought some cheap hollow points that I thought I was going to use for home defense, but now I'm just going to use them at the range. I'm looking at buying some hydra shock 145 grain hps to keep in the magazines in the safe.

Originally Posted by JordanXI45

Hey guys, I've been thinking about getting a gun for home defense. I live in the Bay Area, in El Cerrito (next to Richmond) and there has been a lot of home burglary's in the my neighborhood recently (all happened during broad daylight while people were at work). I live with my girlfriend and she's alone during the day while I'm at work. I was thinking about a shotgun since everyone says they're better for home defense instead of a pistol.

My question is, should I just go down to a gun shop and they'll walk me through the process? I know gun laws in California are crazy, but I've never gotten a felony so I shouldn't have any issues right? What else should I expect?

edit: I also wouldn't mind getting a pistol aswell as a shotgun. Me and my girl could make a hobby out of going to the gun range. So I might be interested in that too.
Shotty depends on your budget man... I was just out at the Richmond range last week tho... Richmond Rod and Gun club. I have a Mossberg 500, that I bought from Big 5 for $270. I put an ATI tactical stock on it and a vertical foregrip with rails for another $100.. so for less than $400, I got a mossy that I can light up with no problem - it also came with a long barrel so we shoot clays sometimes. It's perfect for home defense tho, I think. Easy on maintenance, easy to use - I keep a bunch of different round types on hand in case.... anywhere from light target shot to various slugs.

mail_google_com-vi.jpg

Here's a pic of me on my bro's AK Draco. There's no stock and stock sights - but still shot more accurate than his SKS (also no sights). Draco is pretty cool tho.. it was my first time shootin it.

Originally Posted by eaalto

What ammunition do you use for personal defense? I bought some cheap hollow points that I thought I was going to use for home defense, but now I'm just going to use them at the range. I'm looking at buying some hydra shock 145 grain hps to keep in the magazines in the safe.
Do not ever skimp on quality self defense ammo.
Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

For my 9mm I use speer gold dot 147g

Originally Posted by JordanXI45

What questions do you have have about purchasing a handgun?  PM me bro and I'll answer to the best of my knowledge.  I get that kind of question a lot.
Also on that home defense issue.  I'd advise getting something you and your girl can both use successfully, as well as going to your local gun shop to get a feel on how the grips fit in your guy's hand.  Or just both of you guys getting a gun.

As for shotguns.  Go Remington
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by eteam o2

5l87fb.q

Picked up the FNS last month.
Hoping to pick up my first revolver soon.

How do you like the FN pistol lineup? My brother is convinced that he wants one because he "likes the look" but he's never shot one.

Bought a box of Federal Premium 9 mm 135 Grain Hydra-Shok JHP, will be my personal defense rounds for now.

Originally Posted by ayejreeun

What's the opinion on Hornady Critical Defense rounds?

Very meh. Hornady makes very good rifle rounds but their pistol line up is lack luster, much better choices out there. I use 147gr Winchester Ranger-T.

Bought a box of Federal Premium 9 mm 135 Grain Hydra-Shok JHP, will be my personal defense rounds for now.

If you can you may want to look into something different. Per the website I posted earlier.
In pistol calibers, expanding hollowpoints are preferred to create the largest permanent wound cavity possible. There are a lot of people who pick a load without adequately researching the ammo they trust their life on. The Federal Hydra-Shock is one such example. It was the whiz-bang bullet of its time, but has since been eclipsed by many other bullet designs. The principal weakness of that round are its lack of expansion after passing through clothing.

@CAFinest23

I might be biased but I really do like the FN line up.
With the brand new FNS now being my favorite.
I also used to own the fiveseven which was awesome but I was stuck with 10 round mags which made it seem impractical to me

At this time I think the FNP line may be the only one that is CA DOJ approved but double check.
Regardless it is a fine pistol.
I've put 2000 rounds through it with no hiccups.
You can get them relatively cheap now($450ish) because they've been discontinued in favor of the FNX.

I'm a huge fan of FN and would eventually wanna own a scar if these nj laws ever lighten up.

Originally Posted by eteam o2

@CAFinest23

I might be biased but I really do like the FN line up.
With the brand new FNS now being my favorite.
I also used to own the fiveseven which was awesome but I was stuck with 10 round mags which made it seem impractical to me

At this time I think the FNP line may be the only one that is CA DOJ approved but double check.
Regardless it is a fine pistol.
I've put 2000 rounds through it with no hiccups.
You can get them relatively cheap now($450ish) because they've been discontinued in favor of the FNX.

I'm a huge fan of FN and would eventually wanna own a scar if these nj laws ever lighten up.
I can get a FNP here, but not an FNX. I'd love to get a 57 but I don't want to spend 1k for a handgun that isn't a 1911.
Scar's are 
pimp.gif
 but not for 3k. You can't own an assault rifle out in NJ?

did the wood ebony, i think it looks good.  two coats of stain, one coat poly, sand and another coat of poly.  going shooting tomorrow.

before

now

can't get a good pic where you can see the grain so heres a macro shot.

Back
Top Bottom