NT's LEGAL Gun Thread UPDATE...First Youtube Firearm Review Page 61

Range I went to a few weeks back didn't even have any 9mm to sell me once I ran through the couple of boxes I brought myself. What really sucks for me is that living in Boston its at least a 30 min drive any direction for me to hit a Walmart or gun shop to try and find some ammo.

My mom, who buys from multiple distributors for her store, has said it's still a major pain to keep ammo in stock. And in general for anything they'll refresh the distributors web page for hours at a time and they'll miss an update of inventory by a matter of minutes.

I'm trying to pick up an XD-45 soon but I need a proof of residence in order to pick it up. I got to see about adding my name to a utility bill. Hopefully that wont take long.
From California right?  What about your car registration?

The place I usually go too was completely cleaned out. When I go to the range I just buy it there, I don't want to dig into my stash 

I go to wal mart 2-3 times per week to see if they have any ammo, I've lucked out maybe 50% of the time, it sucks, I cant wait for this mess to calm down.

From California right?  What about your car registration?
I haven't had a car in some time so that's out. I managed to get my name on a land line bill, but now i got to wait till close to the end of the month (and close to the end of my 30 day pickup limit) in order to get the bill and the gun. I'm gonna see if I can get something sooner.

In terms of the ammo discussion, my family and I make our own ammunition. The only problem recently (with all the shootings and whatnot) is trying to get the right gunpowder, and enough of it. Other than that, we got ammo for days.

The place I usually go too was completely cleaned out. When I go to the range I just buy it there, I don't want to dig into my stash 
I go to wal mart 2-3 times per week to see if they have any ammo, I've lucked out maybe 50% of the time, it sucks, I cant wait for this mess to calm down.
Can't wait for it to be over either. Plus I want to see how these people who paid over 4 grand for an AR react after everything goes down

Can you guys tell me the pros and cons of building an AK.i got a buddy who's gonna go to a build party and he said the AK is only gonna be like 650

Can't wait for it to be over either. Plus I want to see how these people who paid over 4 grand for an AR react after everything goes down

it's gonna be a while before things calm down and get back to semi normal. And when i mean normal, I mean ammo actually being on shelves. But sadly, it will almost certainly stay up in price. 50 cents per round for 5.56, $20 box of 9mm range ammo, $25 or so for .45

Definitely the time to start reloading. Im to the point i don't even want to shoot my small stash of range ammo, since i won't be able to replace it. I've luckily been finding brass cased .45 ammo for right around 22 per box (online and in person). the little bit of 5.56 i did see at wal mart recently was 12.47 per box of 20 (winchester q3131)

mn already said they aren't going to ban or change anything. hopefully i'll be able to buy some ammo again. i don't even think i can reload 7.62... that's why i wanted to get a 1911 so i could learn to reload with that. some dude at the range game me his number and said he'd teach me how but he looked like gandolf and i was kinda creeped out so i think i'll pass. :lol:

My AR and Warbelt.

[COLOR=#red]Good stuff!! One thing about having a smaller collection is that you get to REALLY know your weapons. All I have is pistol, rifle, shotgun and they are more like extensions of my body than they are firearms. This isn't a dig to collectors...possibly if I didn't move around so much I would get back to collecting myself, but for me it's all about knowing my weapons intimately.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#red]Cotite, nice 1911 my dude. The flared magwell is a nice addition aesthetically and functionally. Precision 1911's with tight tolerances need at the minimum 250 rds (more is better), shooting the loads you would use for SD before it should be carried concealed.

I was the hard-headed guy that didn't want to listen to that advice and I took my Kimber Crimson Trace Pro to a non-sanctioned 2-gun event and that m-effer jammed like nobodies business. It was well oiled and everything and I wasn't limp wristing it. Spooked me so much I traded it for another gun even though it was a case of user error/ignorance and not the gun itself. Also look into the Wilson Combat mags, they are near universally considered as the best and most reliable mags for 1911's. [/COLOR]

Putting my Uzi on Gunbroker.com :/ , gotta free up some money for my trip to DR later this month. Hopefully I can clear what I paid for it which was $700. Its already at $265 in the first 14 hours.

[COLOR=#red]Cotite, nice 1911 my dude. The flared magwell is a nice addition aesthetically and functionally. Precision 1911's with tight tolerances need at the minimum 250 rds (more is better), shooting the loads you would use for SD before it should be carried concealed.

I was the hard-headed guy that didn't want to listen to that advice and I took my Kimber Crimson Trace Pro to a non-sanctioned 2-gun event and that m-effer jammed like nobodies business. It was well oiled and everything and I wasn't limp wristing it. Spooked me so much I traded it for another gun even though it was a case of user error/ignorance and not the gun itself. Also look into the Wilson Combat mags, they are near universally considered as the best and most reliable mags for 1911's. [/COLOR]

*edit* guerilla, survey filled out homie

You already know it. 2 boxes of 230 gold dots and 3 boxes of 230 HST came in last week. Crazy cuz i've been able to find .45, but can't find 9mm anywhere (at a reasonable price in stock locally)

Probably not gonna carry it often, more than likely whenever we go camping or hiking as a trail grain, loaded with something extra hot from buffalo bore.

Honestly, i'm thinking about having this sent off for some work. Looking at various forums and gunsmiths websites has me drooling. The only thing i'm really hesitant about (other than the price) is the fact some of these waitlists are years. I don't know if i'd want to be without my .45 for that long, especially if i can't find 9mm easily.

I've also been checking up on magazines. Jesus it's like AR mags, dozens of different manufacturers. I always thought the WC were the GOAT out there, but i read a lot about their springs weakening after a year or so. Those are just for the classic 47D's, aparrently their ETM mags are GTG. Tripp Cobra's seem to be the new bread and butter, i'd like to grab a couple of those. But right now, i have the 2 factory mags (metalform that seem to work very well specifically in Springers), 2 10 rd CMC Powermags, 2 Wilson 47DCA's , and a CMC 8 rd powermag. thats enough for now, and 1911's mags don't particularly go out of stock or are on backorder like modern pistol high caps.

I did get to put 100 rounds of WWB ball last week. If i did my part, it would do it's, but for the most part, hand sized groups at 15 yds. Plus the range i shoot at (sharpshooters, EWD you know it) doesn't have lights further back towards the end so it's almost like shooting into the dark. Add in the IDPA cardboards I was shooting and the fact the RO has bullseye sights (ie black front, black rear) i couldnt see much of anything.

*edit* guerilla, survey filled out homie

Last edited:
Looking to buy my first pistol that I've been procrastinating on going on 5 years now. What's the best way to find something that fits me? Go to a range and shoot? Where do you start?

Looking to buy my first pistol that I've been procrastinating on going on 5 years now. What's the best way to find something that fits me? Go to a range and shoot? Where do you start?

For myself I knew I wanted a semi auto handgun, so I began by just researching and doing a lot of reading online. Just understanding the differences striker fired vs. hammer fired, single vs. double stack, polymer vs. metal frames, sa vs. da trigger, different calibers, etc. From there I then checked out the many different companies and what they offered that fit my wants and needs then researched feedback, youtube reviews and the pros/cons of that particular handgun.

My first purchase I made solely on my research I did online without ever handling the gun prior mainly because the ranges in my area never had one to rent but I could not be any happier with what I went with.

For myself I knew I wanted a semi auto handgun, so I began by just researching and doing a lot of reading online. Just understanding the differences striker fired vs. hammer fired, single vs. double stack, polymer vs. metal frames, sa vs. da trigger, different calibers, etc. From there I then checked out the many different companies and what they offered that fit my wants and needs then researched feedback, youtube reviews and the pros/cons of that particular handgun.

My first purchase I made solely on my research I did online without ever handling the gun prior mainly because the ranges in my area never had one to rent but I could not be any happier with what I went with.
wow... crazy... at first i did a lot of research online also...i never shot it first, but the way it felt in my hand played a big factor... thats why i went with the xdm 3.8 compact...

i think you should start with if you are gonna do a concealed carry or not.. that should eliminate full size, compact or subcompact... i personally dont like the look of full size guns and i have a carry permit... then start looking at caliber... 9mm .40, .45acp...

Triz makes a good point. If you plan on carrying it all the time, then that makes a big difference. If you want something that you could carry if you needed to, but you won't routinely carry, then you could get away with bigger guns. 

knockboot's point about proper research is also a good idea. Assuming you're inexperienced and don't know specifics of course... but I'd consider your primary use first. For me? I never planned on daily carrying, but I wanted something that I felt I could conceal if I felt like it. Most of the revolvers I've picked up just don't feel right in my hand. The Smith & Wesson Airweight line does fit me well and I really like that, but for the most part I just don't like revolvers. 

So then I wanted something reliable first and foremost. If I need to use it, I want it to work. So I looked at brands or lines that have a solid reputation and positive feedback. Then it was a matter of what kind of features I wanted. I was skeptical of guns without a manual safety, but I got over that issue. Did I prefer double action only or double action/single action, or striker fire. And if you don't know about the differences, it's simple enough and I'd recommend going to a range that offers rentals and trying out a couple of each so you know the difference. 

It came down to a Glock 19 or a Springfield Armory XD-9. Both felt great in my hands, both were polymer and striker fire, and both had high marks for quality and reliability. I went with the Springfield because it had a grip safety which the Glock didn't. While I was fine without the manual safety, I really loved the grip safety and felt more comfortable knowing I had to be holding the gun properly to fire. Plus... the Springfield just felt better. 

I'd suggest you hold and preferably shoot the model of gun before you purchase... but that's just me.

Received my Nate Squared iwb holster over the weekend. This being my first and only holster I can't compare it to any others but I can say the quality and craftsmanship are top notch. I've been wearing it around the house the past few days and it's pretty comfy so far.

Back
Top Bottom