NY NT'ers check this thread. Help/Information is needed. Vol. I love NY

Hi
I’m a student from Europe and this summer I’m coming to USA through Work And Travel program. I’ll work in NY, Manhattan, but I still don’t have where to stay and I will only come to NY when my job contract starts. So could anybody recommend where to look for cheap places to live throughout the summer. I’m talking real cheap like 500dol/month or even lower . Any kind of help or information is appreciated.  Thank NT’ers.

Regional forum.

500 is real cheap though, you gonna be in the heights or some other sort of project area.

love your profile gif 

i dont think you can find that anywhere in nyc for $500.00 a month unless you take a chick like that with you to supplement your living expenses

if you do i got closet space in my apt

im serious about the rent thought 
you will be living in a crap hole room for $500.00 a month 

500 is way too low for a big city. If you're looking for low rent, definitely check out other boroughs. My friend lives for cheap in a good neighborhood in Brooklyn (near Ft. Hamilton) and pays $800 for his own room in a 3 bedroom apartment.  Brooklyn has a bad reputation outside of NYC but has many good neighborhoods like that which aren't bad at all.  It's not luxurious by any means, and the apartments are a little shabby, but it's safe, clean, and a 5 minute walk from the subway. Everything you need is walking distance too; tons of restaurants, shoe/clothing stores, banks, etc. The downside is that it takes a while to get to Manhattan from that area, including several transfers on the Subway (around 40 minutes).

And the best part about that area is the Halal Cart. Dear lord...I definitely can never move out to NYC cause I'd be obese just from eating there every day
laugh.gif

You will probably have to rent a one bedroom with other people coming from that program? 4 people in a one bedroom sounds about right.

Originally Posted by whyhellothere

brownsville would be a good place to start looking in that price range
coming from Europe you think "hes about that life" for living in brownsville unless hes coming from a council estate in london 
i know new yorkers who come for some ruff areas who dont want to go back living in the pj's or the hood and avoid places like the ville 

Originally Posted by 160jordansdeep

coming from Europe you think "hes about that life" for living in brownsville unless hes coming from a council estate in london 
i know new yorkers who come for some ruff areas who dont want to go back living in the pj's or the hood and avoid places like the ville 

y u trynna play op like hes a punk? op would probably be fine in brownsville.
seriously tho, you'll need more money op or a dangerous place like brownsville will be your only option.

y u trynna play op like hes a punk? op would probably be fine in brownsville.
seriously tho, you'll need more money op or a dangerous place like brownsville will be your only option.
not all all just trying to tell dude the truth before he get here 
BTW OP where in europe are you coming from 

there are a lot of ruff parts of europe

if your from anyplace like Brownsville then you should be ok there 

me i would pick Harlem or the heights over Brownsville 

Yeah, I really hope other 3 female students cooperate with me, but employeer still haven't given their contacts. So if I'm going alone, I'm quite screwed.
Also is is hard to find a second job part time job in NY in restaurants or bars or anywhere?

Originally Posted by Intrigant

Yeah, I really hope other 3 female students cooperate with me, but employeer still haven't given their contacts. So if I'm going alone, I'm quite screwed.
Also is is hard to find a second job part time job in NY in restaurants or bars or anywhere?

If you're extremely good looking, no.
If you're average looking, yes.
There is a ton of competition for waiter/bartender jobs. You might be able to get a busboy job or a dishwasher job but that's about it.
I'd apply as a barista if I were you. Coffeeshops are easier to get into and you being European will help you out.

Originally Posted by kilojules64

There is a ton of competition for waiter/bartender jobs. You might be able to get a busboy job or a dishwasher job but that's about it.
I'd apply as a barista if I were you. Coffeeshops are easier to get into and you being European will help you out.
I see. And how much could I earn for a week for that kind of job? Could I make 100-200 bucks a week?

Originally Posted by kilojules64

I see. And how much could I earn for a week for that kind of job? Could I make 100-200 bucks a week?

Yeah they make around 10 dollars an hour plus tips, you could make that easily

You got females that need a place to stay?
nerd.gif

you can try one of those 'couchsurfing' websites, and maybe find places for 2 weeks at a time.

You need roommates bro Bronx is your best bet. Maybe fordham area would be good for you. 
roll.gif
@$500

for $500.00 or less a month you will be seeing alot of this�
Do you mean in Bronx or anywhere in ny?
P.S I'll definitely let you know if I'll come with females
laugh.gif

Bro don't stay in south side Bronx, lol you def see that. Try fordham or maybe even Riverdale area right nice & cozy out there. 
tongue.gif

try lower westchester. pretty sure you can find a room or studio for around that price. New Rochelle, Mt. Vernon, Yonkers, or Pelham

and to OP
Don't forget about North Jersey.
Busride is 15min to 45 to 33rd. Some Nyers have an hour trainride and pay more rent.

Originally Posted by jay23oth

Bro don't stay in south side Bronx, lol you def see that. Try fordham or maybe even Riverdale area right nice & cozy out there. 
tongue.gif
Riverdale is a great neighborhood in the Bronx...the only place I'll live in the Bronx. But good luck trying to find a place for $500.
Try looking for studios, instead of one bedroom apts. They should be a little cheaper, but it's still going to be tough finding a place for $500.
1 br apts in the ok side of bronx/brooklyn/qns is going to cost 950+
1 br apts in above ok side of bx/bk/qns is going to cost 1100+
studios in queens in above ok side of qns is going to cost about 800+
you can prolly find a studio in brownsville, south bx, or qb for about $500+ lol - i dont recommend this at all...

try places like sunnyside, forest hills, astoria...im not too familiar with bk and avoid the bx. It's too far from the city, unless you enjoy 30+ minutes in the subway with some unusual people
how much are you getting paid? Is $500 the max? try going up another 200-300$ and that should allow you find a place easier.

Back
Top Bottom