NY Residents, FEDERER v. SAMPRAS MSG 3/10/08, Televised?

Not that it was a big deal, but was this televised? Heard that the Garden was sold out, but obviously no national coverage. I'll update with photos andresults in a bit...

Yes it was televised..Fox Sports NY (which is now MSG +) Federer won by a hair. The 3rd set went into a tie break.

^Yeah, they're showing it on our local sports channel right now. Not sure how I hadn't heard about this before hand.
pimp.gif

Yeah, usually the few tennis fans, including myself, make threads, but only for the Grand Slam events. The fact that this was an exhibition and wasn'tgoing to be nationally televised was the reason I never started one. That and I was still upset about Fed's two match losing streak. At least there wassome reason behind it..

^Please tell me you recognize that "lucky fan...................."

If you can't check my avy.

what a lucky guy... he got sampras' racquet and got to sit next to Tiger's lovely wife as well...

Federer in his prime barely beating an old geezer in Sampras is pitful. 2 of Federer's 3 wins were close games. Still though, Sampras > Federer.

well, we can't take that game at face-value... for starters, its an exhibition, so obviously both are gonna take a light-hearted approach... Pete iscertainly not training as heavily as he did when he was still a pro, while Fed is still a little rusty from his illness (mono)... ultimately, they were thereto do one thing... entertain... and thats what they did...

Sampras > Federer! Maybe that ain't true and Federer will certainly surpass Sampras' grand slam records.. But I hate all of the talk that dismissesSampras as being inferior to Federer and his shot making magic.. That's just baloney and Pistol Pete would've given Federer's baseline game a hugechallenge.. When the pressure's on from Sampras, would Federer be consistently able to hit that passing shot? I'm not so sure..

Anybody know how much tickets were going for? Drawing 20000 people for an exhibition match is pretty damn impressive. Also, how can anybody take this matchseriously when Federer is wearing a watch playing against Sampras.

Is it just me or does this compare to the movie Rocky Balboa. Where Rocky loses, but he is way past his prime.

laugh.gif

Just had to throw it out there.

I wish this would have been televised.
ohwell.gif

I don't see a score in the thread.

Anyone?

Originally Posted by 24 K B 8

Federer in his prime barely beating an old geezer in Sampras is pitful. 2 of Federer's 3 wins were close games. Still though, Sampras > Federer.

roll.gif

Almost as funny as "I would take Kobe over MJ 100 times out of 100." Almost.

Oooh, the last two sets were tiebreaks?!

I don't know if that's more of a credit to Sampras, or something to worry about for Betterer.
nerd.gif

Can we get Sampras and Agassi out there one mo' 'gain?
ohwell.gif

I don't think there should be any worry over Roger Ska. He's back to his usual form. Expect better results from him than from his past matches againstMurray and Djok.

damn, i heard nothing about this. im sure it was competitive because no one wants to watch Samras get beat in straight sets in an hour. They should have playedon grass, that would have been something to see.

Back
Top Bottom