NYC ppl - need your recommendations

hi,

i know this should be in the regional forum, but it's not very active and i am looking to book a trip to NYC immediately for the first time - so mods plz don't move right away
smile.gif

my wife and I are looking to stay near midtown manhattan for 4 days (fri-mon) ...can anyone recommend a good hotel to be situated at that isn't too far to travel to all the tourist attractions (we aren't renting a car). I'm seeing a hotel near park avenue and 50th street ..is that alright?

also, can people recommend some places to see aside from these - Central Park Zoo, Rockefeller Plaza, Broadway, Times Square, Grand Central Terminal, Chrysler Building, Empire State Building, Central Park, Brooklyn Bridge, Statue of Liberty, MSG, wall street/financial district

finally, we have no idea what is good in NYC from a food perspective and we would like to experience authentic NYC cuisine..so that would be nice too!

thanks for any help!

hi,

i know this should be in the regional forum, but it's not very active and i am looking to book a trip to NYC immediately for the first time - so mods plz don't move right away
smile.gif

my wife and I are looking to stay near midtown manhattan for 4 days (fri-mon) ...can anyone recommend a good hotel to be situated at that isn't too far to travel to all the tourist attractions (we aren't renting a car). I'm seeing a hotel near park avenue and 50th street ..is that alright?

also, can people recommend some places to see aside from these - Central Park Zoo, Rockefeller Plaza, Broadway, Times Square, Grand Central Terminal, Chrysler Building, Empire State Building, Central Park, Brooklyn Bridge, Statue of Liberty, MSG, wall street/financial district

finally, we have no idea what is good in NYC from a food perspective and we would like to experience authentic NYC cuisine..so that would be nice too!

thanks for any help!

(we aren't renting a car). I'm seeing a hotel near park avenue and 50th street ..is that alright?
driving around isn't a good idea anyway. Buy an unlimited weekly metrocard and you're good to go anywhere.

(we aren't renting a car). I'm seeing a hotel near park avenue and 50th street ..is that alright?
driving around isn't a good idea anyway. Buy an unlimited weekly metrocard and you're good to go anywhere.

-Head down to Soho for some shopping, R train to Prince Street. Soho theres a place called Cafe Habana, ask around for it, pretty bomb corn and other food there, also on Spring Street walk west and grab some Rice to Riches rice pudding. Pretty damn good.
-Go around St. Marks for tattoo parlors (woudnt recommend getting one there though 
laugh.gif
), lots of Japanese restaurants, dollar pizza, and just some weird, cool people, also Pomme Frites right around the corner (mango chutney sauce 
pimp.gif
)

-Chinatown, its an experience if youre a tourist, theres a really good bubbletea place on Mott Street called Tearrific, best bubble tea you will have.

-Personally im a fan of Saigon Grill (Viet, id recommend the fried calamari appetizer, Bu Loc Loc and Bung Xiao (pretty sure I spelled that wrong), theres one on 14th and University. You could take the train (multiple trains, 4 train, R, N trains etc) to Union Square 14th street, also Max Brenners is right around Saigon Grill

-After 7pm head to 53rd and 6th for the famous Halal cart. Remember to put alot of white sauce and a little bit of hot sauce if its your first time, its pretty hot.

-Madison Square park theres a place called Shake Shack, its right in the park and ive heard its pretty good. Perfect for a quick lunch and relaxation time at the park.

There are just my spots I go to, If I think of more, ill let you know. Enjoy!! 
pimp.gif

-Head down to Soho for some shopping, R train to Prince Street. Soho theres a place called Cafe Habana, ask around for it, pretty bomb corn and other food there, also on Spring Street walk west and grab some Rice to Riches rice pudding. Pretty damn good.
-Go around St. Marks for tattoo parlors (woudnt recommend getting one there though 
laugh.gif
), lots of Japanese restaurants, dollar pizza, and just some weird, cool people, also Pomme Frites right around the corner (mango chutney sauce 
pimp.gif
)

-Chinatown, its an experience if youre a tourist, theres a really good bubbletea place on Mott Street called Tearrific, best bubble tea you will have.

-Personally im a fan of Saigon Grill (Viet, id recommend the fried calamari appetizer, Bu Loc Loc and Bung Xiao (pretty sure I spelled that wrong), theres one on 14th and University. You could take the train (multiple trains, 4 train, R, N trains etc) to Union Square 14th street, also Max Brenners is right around Saigon Grill

-After 7pm head to 53rd and 6th for the famous Halal cart. Remember to put alot of white sauce and a little bit of hot sauce if its your first time, its pretty hot.

-Madison Square park theres a place called Shake Shack, its right in the park and ive heard its pretty good. Perfect for a quick lunch and relaxation time at the park.

There are just my spots I go to, If I think of more, ill let you know. Enjoy!! 
pimp.gif

and with that metrocard, you can easily get to some of those destinations quickly within minutes in manhattan. You're good at the hotel you're looking at. Just remember to have a subway map with u.

and with that metrocard, you can easily get to some of those destinations quickly within minutes in manhattan. You're good at the hotel you're looking at. Just remember to have a subway map with u.

Originally Posted by teddy jam

This is really hard to pinpoint.  The great thing about NYC is that you can find authentic foods of all cultures.  One thing I have noticed though, that nothing beats a fresh Brooklyn bagel.  Pizza is also another thing to try (although i don't know many great spots in Manhattan as I do in Brooklyn).

There are just a ton of great places food wise, and trust me, don't sleep on the carts/trucks.

If you're looking to eat outside, Bryant Park area is nice to sit down and eat.

Originally Posted by teddy jam

This is really hard to pinpoint.  The great thing about NYC is that you can find authentic foods of all cultures.  One thing I have noticed though, that nothing beats a fresh Brooklyn bagel.  Pizza is also another thing to try (although i don't know many great spots in Manhattan as I do in Brooklyn).

There are just a ton of great places food wise, and trust me, don't sleep on the carts/trucks.

If you're looking to eat outside, Bryant Park area is nice to sit down and eat.

Besides Manhattan, you can also hit up the more hip and trendy places in brooklyn.

Walk the Brooklyn bridge
Walk the Brooklyn Heights Promenade to get a good view of the Manhattan skyline.
Grimaldis (pretty popular pizza place)
Williamsburg

Besides Manhattan, you can also hit up the more hip and trendy places in brooklyn.

Walk the Brooklyn bridge
Walk the Brooklyn Heights Promenade to get a good view of the Manhattan skyline.
Williamsburg

Originally Posted by retroflashbacks

Walk the Brooklyn bridge
Williamsburg
Chip Shop too. 
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by retroflashbacks

Walk the Brooklyn bridge
Williamsburg
Chip Shop too. 
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom