NYPD shoot a knife wielding man 9 times near Times Square New York

he deserved it but it's still sad.

marijuana laws are stupid and ridiculous.

cops have no way of detaining man retreating for over 5 blocks without killing them? are they even being trained?

I'm not asking for them to be james bond ands hoot the knife out of his hand, but they were pursuing him for blocks. if they were going to shoot them there had to be opportunities before shooting to kill.

or was the plan to just walk behind him with guns drawn until he got across a bridge or something.

he deserved it but it's still sad.
marijuana laws are stupid and ridiculous.
cops have no way of detaining man retreating for over 5 blocks without killing them? are they even being trained?
I'm not asking for them to be james bond ands hoot the knife out of his hand, but they were pursuing him for blocks. if they were going to shoot them there had to be opportunities before shooting to kill.
or was the plan to just walk behind him with guns drawn until he got across a bridge or something.

agreed... im sure someone couldve shot dude in the leg/thigh :smh:

People deserve to die???

IF he was smoking weed, he wasnt hurting anyone......................

You police apologists make me sick................

Rubber Bullets FTW.............:smh:

White Man shoots up a theater and is still alive.....will probably do time in a nut house, when its all said and done
Black Man wields a knife, kills no one, but is killed for the sake of "public safety".....
Whatever.................

White man drops weapons, gives up

Black man approaches police with weapon

Don't bullets travel pretty far if the shot is off? It seems like they couldve come at him with some batons or pepper spray, or a net. Bullets with people around seems CRAZY.

NYPD does not play

Don't bullets travel pretty far if the shot is off? It seems like they couldve come at him with some batons or pepper spray, or a net. Bullets with people around seems CRAZY.
NYPD does not play

Cops are trained to shoot in the chest, giving them the biggest target to hit and also to avoid missing and harming civilians. That's why when people say they should shoot for the leg or arm to avoid killing, it's a bad idea from a safety standpoint. People watch too many wild west movies and think you can shoot a knife out of a moving targets hand easily.

I cant believe anybody would not be on the cops side here. The dude has a huge knife around thousands of innocent people and then lunges at cops with the knife. Like someone said before, cops are trained to shoot in the chest. If a cop tried to shoot his knife out or something else cute like that and then hit an innocent person, would you all be saying the same thing? Dude got what was coming. For all we know maybe he wanted to kill himself, but didnt want to do it himself.

9 shots though?

The officers dont have time to discuss who gets to shoot or not...if the suspect is waving a gun/knife or whatever, their trained to use lethal force. If all eyes are on him of course most if not all are going to shoot; cant stop and think "oh well, im sure someone else will shoot him instead"

:smh: @ People chasing to get a close view. I'll never understand it. Running toward an obviously unsafe situation, them everyone's running in the opposite direction and yelling when shots are fired.

And yes, it was warranted. No sympathy for him. None at all. They did what they had to do. I would have done the same.

As much as I hate the police, I can't be mad at them for this. The shooting was justified even though they do need to be equipped with tasers...

Why did they shoot so much why didn't they shoot at the legs smh
This isn't a video game or a movie.

You guys asking why they didn't shoot to incapacitate need to read the article and the witness accounts. He wasn't going down without a fight. He managed to be unaffected by six shots of pepper spray.
[h1]NYPD officers fatally shoot man waving butcher's knife after terrifying chase through Times Square  [/h1][h2]Darrius Kennedy was hit by gunfire near 37th and Seventh Avenue around 3p.m., police said[/h2]Comments (331)[h3]By Rich Schapiro , Rocco Parascandola AND Larry Mcshane / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS[/h3][h5]Published: Saturday, August 11, 2012, 4:19 PM[/h5][h5]Updated: Sunday, August 12, 2012, 1:34 PM[/h5]

[table][tr][td]
[table][tr][td] [/td][td] [/td][td]
Facebook
[/td][td] [/td][/tr][/table]
[/td][td]
Twitter
[/td][td] [/td][td]
StumbleUpon
[/td][td]
Tumblr
[/td][td]
Email
[/td][/tr][/table]
Print

times-square-shooting.jpg
[h4] [/h4]
Police surround a suspect after they shot him on W. 37th St. and 7th Ave. in Manhattan. 

[h5]Related Stories[/h5]
inform.jpg

knife12n-12.jpg
[h4]DCPI[/h4]
[h4] [/h4]
Suspect's knife.

* SCROLL DOWN TO VIEW VIDEO *

A deranged knife-wielding man was gunned down by police near Times Square Saturday after a bizarre backward chase in broad daylight that sent terrified tourists scrambling for safety.

The dreadlocked madman was fatally shot at 3 p.m. on a Seventh Ave. sidewalk after ignoring orders to drop his 11-inch butcher knife — and then menacingly lunged at cops, police said.

The 51-year-old suspect, identified as Darrius Kennedy, was walking backward for seven blocks with cops in pursuit, appeared impervious to police pepper spray and refused to surrender his blade, witnesses said.

“He looked like he was crazy,” said Jalloh Osman, 26, who joined a crowd of onlookers watching the strange showdown at the corner of W. 37th St. “They sprayed him, and he kept going backwards.

“They kept telling him, ‘Put it down! Put it down!’ But he refused.”

Kennedy died at Bellevue Hospital about 40 minutes after the shooting, NYPD spokesman Paul Browne said, adding that six blasts of pepper spray failed to slow the man.

Frightened pedestrians ran for cover into nearby buildings as the man — his knife held aloft like a torch at one point — inexplicably ambled backward for seven blocks, witnesses said.

“He was holding a giant knife,” said Jobby Nogueras, 17. “He was swinging it toward everyone — pedestrians, cops. He would just swing.”

A doorman at a nearby Seventh Ave. building said Kennedy — wearing jeans and a white T-shirt — kept waving the knife in front of him.

Cops ordered him to drop the blade, but he continued on his way — and then the gunshots rang out in quick succession.

knife12n-4.jpg
[h4]Marcus Silveira for New York Daily News[/h4][h4]Police shot dead a knife-wielding suspect on 7th Avenue by W. 37th street.[/h4]

“It was mayhem,” the doorman said. “People were running all over the place. About 15 people ran into this building.”

A dramatic video obtained by the Daily News shows Kennedy backstepping away from a horde of cops for several blocks until he’s surrounded — and then officers unleash a torrent of bullets. Browne said two officers opened fire. Witnesses said Kennedy was shot at least five times.

At least 15 shell casings were on the sidewalk outside 501 Seventh Ave., where the cops opened fire.

“He just fell backward, with his arms out,” said Maiki Rodriguez, 20, who works on W. 38th St. “It was crazy. . . . He had bullet holes all over him, and blood all over his shirt.”

The chase began around W. 44th St. after two cops spotted Kennedy smoking what appeared to be a marijuana cigarette, police said.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...-times-square-article-1.1134432#ixzz23O0WaLmD
White Man shoots up a theater and is still alive.....will probably do time in a nut house, when its all said and done

Black Man wields a knife, kills no one, but is killed for the sake of "public safety".....

Whatever.................
indifferent.gif
Bringing up race. Shut up.

Last edited:
they should have just shot the knife instead of shooting him
Great idea.

I'll piggy-back off of it because it was so amazing.

I think the next time the police get in a situation with a person armed w. a gun, they should aim for the trigger finger so they can't shoot.
He's joking I think.

Every thread like this there are people who sincerely say "they should have just shot him in the hand."

I'm surprised they shot in such a high traffic area. If he lunged at them though, nothing else to really say.

Last edited:
Ever since seeing this vid I honestly cant blame police, crazy people in the world

Charging police with a knife is just asking for it

As a police officer in DC I would have done the same thing!!! I remember when some guy was carrying a katana blade on him but he end up putting it on the ground. Thats a legal shooting by all means because the guy lunged.

They could have shot the guy in the arm or leg. Probably would have made the dude drop the weapon. It was justified though. 

Can't shoot and risk missing.  If had been a quick reaction type thing, I'd blame cops.  This went on for 7 blocks, dude shook off pepper spray and people were at risk.  Lunge at cops after all that and you're asking for it.

Back
Top Bottom