Oakland Athletics 2010 Season Thread (27-23) (@ Texas)

Davis and Crisp, barring any injuries will start in CF and LF respectively. April needs to come already.

I'm real excited for Sheets. I feel like he'll be the biggest free-agent acquisition since Frank Thomas.

If everything goes right, we could be looking at fighting for first at the end of the season.

I'm thinking the opening day outfield will be Sweeney Crisp and Raj from right to left. Infield will probably be Barton (sigh), Ellis, Pennington (sigh), Kouz, and of course Kurt. Personally, I'd go with straight prospects, but I'm not running this team. I'd have the lineup like this:

1. Sweeney RF
2. Kurt C
3. Taylor LF
4. Cust DH
5. Carter 1B
6. Kouz 3B
7. Ellis 2B
8. Cardenas SS
9. Raj/Coco (it doesn't really matter) CF

With the Rotation like:

Sheets
Duke
Anderson
Mazarro
Cahill

...with that beast bullpen we have.

Originally Posted by ShaunHillFTW49

Why can't I find Inoa's stats anywhere?

I'm pretty sure it's because they shut him down for a lot of last year due to a strain and being careful with him.  Also, it's Michael "Ynoa" now.  The reincarnation of Jairo/Santiago Casilla.

Avy/Sig check.
pimp.gif
It's baseball time.

^Nice, I want to install my A's sig but basketball season just ain't over yet.

I'll try to find a way to have the Lakers and A's at the same time and still make it cool, somehow.

I'll be at school for opening night.
smh.gif
Did you guys hear 147 HD games on Comcast SportsNet this year?
pimp.gif

...but again, I'll be at school getting Comast West.
smh.gif

[h3]http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/blog?name=olney_buster&id=4973221[/h3]
[h3]Suzuki's switch and Oakland's hopes  [/h3]
March, 7, 2010
Mar 7

9:04

AM ET

Comment Print http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/blog?name=olney_buster&id=4973221#/sendtofriend.espn.go.com/sendtofriend/SendToFriend?URL=http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/blog?name=olney_buster&id=4973221&title=Suzuki">http://sendtofriend.espn....4973221...le,noscrollbars,width=400,height=500');return false;" class="email">Email Share
Bob Geren approached Kurt Suzukithe other day and asked the Oakland catcher how he felt about hittingthird in the Athletics' lineup. "Would that make you nervous?" Gerenasked.
The A's manager was kidding -- about being nervous. He was notkidding at all about using Suzuki, who is entering his fourth season inthe majors, in the 3-hole. Because among a group of Athletics hitterswho are young, inconsistent and still developing, Suzuki's ability tomake contact is consistent.

He doesn't draw a lot of walks;Suzuki's on-base percentage was .313 last season and .346 in 2008. In astronger offense, he probably would hit in the 2-hole, because he runswell, or lower in the lineup. But the fact that he puts the ball inplay and is increasingly driving the ball -- he had 53 extra-base hitslast season, 20 more than in 2008 -- makes him a candidate to bat thirdfor Oakland.

"We always thought he could be a .280 hitter or so," Geren said. "He's got a very simple swing -- not a lot of moving parts."

What level of production could he expect this season?

"I try not to put limitations on myself," Suzuki said.

Brad Ziegler chatted with Chris Capuano of the Milwaukee Brewers, and Capuano mentioned how great it had been to have Ben Sheetsin the Brewers' clubhouse, how much fun he was for his teammates. NowZiegler has seen that impact in person. "He keeps everybody nice andloose," the A's reliever said while recounting some of Sheets'one-liners that have had others chuckling.

On a couple ofoccasions, Sheets -- who is, generally speaking, the old guy among themany young pitchers in the Athletics' camp -- has barked out toteammates on the field, "OK, bring it in here." The players would forma huddle obediently, poised to hear the words of wisdom from thisformer All-Star. "OK, thanks for listening," Sheets would say. "Youmade me feel better about myself."

And the players walk away laughing. Over a long season, his humor helps.

But Sheets' greatest impact will be his stuff, and while Brandon Webb-- another star pitcher coming back from a season-long injury -- hasstruggled, Sheets looks great. His fastball was clocked at 92-93 mphthe other day, and Suzuki saw hitters buckling when Sheets threw thehard curveball that often serves as his finishing pitch. "It's a great curve," Suzuki said.

TheAthletics' run production will be a daily puzzle, because it's unclearhow much the team can expect from first-base candidates Eric Chavez and Daric Barton, or how much production the young outfielders will generate. Ryan Sweeneyis showing signs of having more power this year -- Geren said that inSweeney's swing, his hands are arcing a bit more, in the form of asmall C -- and prospects Michael Taylor and Chris Carter may eventually have some impact at the big league level.

But the A's outfield defense should be outstanding; the rotation has a chance to be very good, with Brett Anderson, Sheets and Justin Duchscherer; and the bullpen appears to be well-stocked behind closer Andrew Bailey.

Trevor Cahill has one of the most violent sinkers in the American League, the type of pitch that veers from left to right and down.

Butleft-handed batters mashed against him last season to the tune of a.286 average and 21 home runs. (Cahill allowed a .252 average and sixhomers to right-handed hitters.) There were times when Cahill tried touse his sinker against left-handed hitters the way Greg Madduxused to, by throwing it inside and trying to run it over the insidecorner. But in too many instances, Cahill missed his target and theball ran over the middle of the plate, leading to all the home runs hitby left-handed batters.

Oakland's staff would prefer that whenCahill misses his target, he does it further inside to left-handedbatters rather than over the plate. Last season, Cahill hit left-handedhitters only three times. (He hit a right-hander once.) Not thatanybody is advocating guys getting drilled, but the team probably wouldlike to see that number climb this year, because it would mean thatCahill missed his target inside rather than over the plate.

• Suzuki feels Gio Gonzalez is harnessing the raw ability that everybody has seen in him. "He's throwing everything for strikes," Suzuki said.

• Duchscherer thinks he can be ready to start the season; Geren isn't so sure.

roll.gif
Ricky and Rajai getting their Apollo Ohno on.

Chris Carter lookin pretty nice so far in ST
smokin.gif

We were about to be on MLBN today, but it got rained out.
mad.gif

Chris Carter batting a solid .500 with a jack and a double

Rajai with some extra-base hits

Chavez with a triple

Buck hit a homer

Pitching will catch up soon enough.

Back
Top Bottom