Off-duty NYPD cop charged in DWI crash that killed pastor's daughter...BY MY CRIB

[h1]Off-duty cop charged in DWI crash that killed pastor's daughter: police, 1 other officer fled scene[/h1]
By Sarah Armaghan and Jonathan Lemire
DAILY NEWS WRITERS

Updated Sunday, September 27th 2009, 8:28 PM

alg_pastor_various-valnord.jpg

Gabel for News
Pastor Varius Valnord holds a picture of his daughter, Vionique Valnord, 33, who was fatally hit by a car driven by off-duty NYPD cop Andrew Kelly.

amd_dwi_andrew-kelly.jpg

Iudici for News
Kelly was charged with DWI and vehicular manslaughter in the Sunday morning crash.

A drunk off-duty cop mowed down a Brooklyn pastor's daughter Sunday as she left a wedding - and three others in his car, including another officer, fled, police sources said.

Officer Andrew Kelly was behind the wheel of his blue Jeep Grand Cherokee when he hit Vionique Valnord, 32, who was hailing a cab at Avenue N and E. 56th St. in Old Mill Basin, police said.

The impact sent Valnord, who had left a friend's wedding moments before the 1a.m. accident, flying through the air. She died soon after at Kings County Hospital.

Kelly, a seven-year veteran cop, is assigned to the 68th Precinct in Bay Ridge. He was charged with vehicular manslaughter and driving while intoxicated, police said.

"The officers who responded to that accident detected a smell of alcohol on the driver's breath," Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly told reporters.

The NYPD would not identify the other off-duty cop, nor reveal where he was assigned. Sources close to the case said he could face disciplinary action. The two other passengers also were not named.

Investigators believe the three passengers were all drinking and ran from the Jeep seconds after the collision, before investigating officers arrived.

Cops found open containers of alcohol in Andrew Kelly's SUV after the crash, police sources said.

Commissioner Kelly said the other cop later admitted to being in the crash when he showed up for work.

"[He] approached the desk at where he works, reporting for duty, and stated that he was in the vehicle," said Commissioner Kelly. "So he's being questioned about the circumstances of the accident."

That officer was being "somewhat cooperative," a source briefed on the case said. It is not a crime for passengers to leave the scene of an accident, but an officer is expected to stay at a crime scene and help the investigation.

Andrew Kelly, 30, refused to take a Breathalyzer test, and investigators obtained a warrant to draw his blood, sources said. The cop, wearing a Yankees jacket and hat, was led from a police stationhouse in handcuffs hours after the crash.

He was freed on $200,000 bond after being arraigned.

Investigators believe the night's rain and fog played a role in the crash and that Officer Kelly may have never seen Valnord.

The Rev. Varius Valnord, Vionique's father, was presiding over the wedding at the Floyd Bennett American Legion hall, where she spent her final moments.

"She was crossing the street, trying to stop a cab, but we ended up getting one down the street," said her heartbroken friend Nesly Lafontant, 23. "That's when we called for her to come, and she turned around and got hit."

Lafontant said the Jeep roared down the street and made no effort to slow down before it slammed into Valnord.

"When the car hit her, she fell away from the car and it came to a stop," said Lafontant. "He hit the brakes only after he hit her - he didn't slam on the brakes before. There was no screeching tire sound or anything."

One of the cops from the Jeep, believed to be Kelly, tried to give cardiopulmonary resuscitation to Valnord in the moments after the accident, witnesses said. It was unclear if the other three passengers offered to help or ran first.

smh.gif
4 Blocks from my house.. Had a feeling the story would be in the news since block was taped off when I drove by the scene on my way home at around 3AMthat morning.

R.I.P. to the victim

Originally Posted by Lrrr

i wonder if the young lady was paying attention though

indifferent.gif
comon dude.

anyway, +@@$ the police, for those that dont know, the law is different when you're in the force or have a fam member in the police line of work.

system is corrupt.

Originally Posted by jawnyquest

watch him get off easy.. @%%%+!% disgusting
smh.gif

Funny cuz the laws that cops are supposed to enforce don't apply to cops...
smh.gif

"She was crossing the street, trying to stop a cab, but we ended up getting one down the street," said her heartbroken friend Nesly Lafontant, 23. "That's when we called for her to come, and she turned around and got hit."

RIP to V.V.

I wouldn't be surprised if he got off somehow. Cops are given a pass too many times that us citizens would be destroyed for.

A cop here in Chicago beat a female bartender bad as hell after she refused to serve him anymore. He got off.

Son had to have been speeding. That street is a 2 way with a stop light...From what I heard, he hit her so hard that her body flew up and hit thestop light...

Originally Posted by SneakerPimp2k8

YUNGMATT you live by Ave N??? so do I
Yea Im on Fillmore

Originally Posted by DatRealBalla12

RIP, hope fellow cops dont have his back on this one.

This has nothing to do with the police and all of that. Its just a drunk man and a innocent victim. The fellow cops will have his back because they are fellowcops so he will get something light.

Originally Posted by Stixx

Originally Posted by jawnyquest

watch him get off easy.. @%%%+!% disgusting
smh.gif
Funny cuz the laws that cops are supposed to enforce don't apply to cops...
smh.gif
or their nieces, wives, daughters, nephews, cousins, and sometimes inlaws
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif

Back
Top Bottom