..:Official 2008 NL Central Thread:..Congratulations Chicago Cubs...:

Well, with pitchers, catchers, and select position players arriving to camp league wide....Spring Training 2008 has begun. I've missed baseball, and bygolly, i cant wait for the regular season to begin.

This has always been one of my favorite threads and I hope that we can continue the fun this season. Everyone in here is always passionate about their teams,and that's what makes this thread what it is. As long as we keep things cool and classy, things should go smoothly. As much as I hate the Cardinals, i willnever insult a Cardinal fan on this forum. Respect is to earned just as it's given. With that said........

[h2]CUBS[/h2]Last year: 85-77, 1st; lost to Arizona in first round.
Manager: Lou Piniella.
Payroll: $120 million.
Headliners: Carlos Zambrano, Alfonso Soriano, Aramis Ramirez, Derrek Lee.
Additions: Kosuke Fukudome, Jon Lieber.
Losses: Jacque Jones, Cliff Floyd, Jason Kendall, Mark Prior, Will Ohman, Angel Pagan.
Health watch: Fukudome is expected to be recovered from elbow surgery.
X-factor: Piniella, who can be demanding on catchers, is a big believer in rookie Geovany Soto, who was MVPof the Pacific Coast League in2007. He doesn't seem as sold on center fielder Felix Pie.
Tipping point: After a bad start, Cubs went 63-46 to reach playoffs. They could improve on even that level if lineup moves toward the top ofthe league in scoring.

[h2]Milwaukee Brewers[/h2]Last year: 83-79, 2nd.
Manager: Ned Yost.
Payroll: $73 million.
Headliners: Prince Fielder, J.J. Hardy, Ryan Braun.
Additions: Eric Gagne, Jason Kendall, Mike Cameron, David Riske, Salomon Torres, Guillermo Mota.
Losses: Francisco Cordero, Scott Linebrink, Johnny Estrada, Geoff Jenkins, Matt Wise, Ray King, Kevin Mench.
Health watch: No known concerns.
X-factor: Following Rookie of the Year season, Braun moves from third to left field in a domino chain that has Bill Hall moving to third andCameron replacing Hall in center. Braun's adjustment in the field could hurt his hitting.
Tipping point: The pitching staff is deep but built around guys with major question marks: the durability of Ben Sheets, effectiveness of JeffSuppan and reliability of Gagne.

[h2]St. Louis Cardinals[/h2]Last year: 78-84, 3rd.
Manager: Tony La Russa.
Payroll: $97 million.
Headliners: Albert Pujols, Troy Glaus, Yadier Molina, Adam Wainwright.
Additions: Glaus, Cesar Izturis, Matt Clement.
Losses: Scott Rolen, Jim Edmonds, David Eckstein, Kip Wells, Troy Percival, Preston Wilson.
Health watch: Ace Chris Carpenter and supposed No. 2 starter Mark Mulder both could be sidelined until the second half of the season as theyrecover from surgeries.
X-factor: Rick Ankiel provided a huge lift after his arrival last August but will be challenged by pitchers who will be prepared for him.
Tipping point: No team in the majors is losing more established talent than St. Louis. The Cardinals' biggest loss could be GM WaltJocketty, whose firing signaled an end to the franchise's stay among the NL's elite.

[h2]Houston Astros[/h2]Last year: 73-89, 4th.
Manager: Cecil Cooper.
Payroll: $87 million.
Headliners: Roy Oswalt, Miguel Tejada, Carlos Lee, Lance Berkman.
Additions: Tejada, Jose Valverde, Kaz Matsui, Michael Bourn, Geoff Blum, Darin Erstad.
Losses: Craig Biggio, Brad Lidge, Jason Jennings, Luke Scott, Orlando Palmeiro, Matt Albers, Troy Patton.
X-factor: Tejada was added in an effort to help a thin pitching staff win games 8-7 but could face a long suspension after his prominentinclusion in the Mitchell report.
Tipping point: Owner Drayton McLane declined to commit to rebuilding after the end of the Bagwell-Biggio era. It's hard to see howthere's enough pitching here to succeed, but leaps forward by guys like Felipe Paulino and Fernando Nieve could help produce a first-division finish.

[h2]Cincinnati Reds[/h2]Last year: 72-90, 5th.
Manager: Dusty Baker.
Payroll: $70 million.
Headliners: Aaron Harang, Adam Dunn, Ken Griffey Jr., Francisco Cordero.
Additions: Cordero, Jeremy Affeldt, Edinson Volquez.
Losses: Josh Hamilton, Eddie Guardado, Eric Milton.
Health watch: A devastating run of injuries contributed to a late fade in 2007, but all hands are expected on deck, including Dunn (kneesurgery) and Griffey (torn groin).
X-factor: Jay Bruce was Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year but could be blocked by Dunn and Griffey.
Tipping point: Ownership's ability to hire an expensive manager in Baker and lure a widely pursued free agent in Cordero signals a renewedchance to compete. But GM Wayne Krivsky may have to deal Dunn or Griffey for pitching.

[h2]Pittsburgh Pirates[/h2]Last year: 68-94, 6th.
Manager: John Russell.
Payroll: $50 million.
Headliners: Adam LaRoche, Jason Bay, Freddy Sanchez, Tom Gorzelanny.
Additions: Chris Gomez, Elmer Dessens.
Losses: Salomon Torres, Tony Armas Jr., Jose Castillo.
Health watch: Lefty Zach Duke is expected to be OK after missing three months with elbow problems.
X-factor: Catcher Ronny Paulino was an All-Star in 2006 and disappointing in '07. He has lost weight and been put on notice that he needsto re-establish himself.
Tipping point: Veteran players are frustrated at management's relative inaction. Jack Wilson was unhappy in 2007 and Bay recently has beencritical in interviews. Bay could be traded to open a spot for Steve Pearce.

30mwmxi.jpg

I look forward to whooping it up with familiar faces, but also seeing new people in the thread. The more the merrier...as long as you aren'tStL. fans

tongue.gif

Nice thread. Hopefully this division steps it up this season.
Did you write all this up yourself? I'd like to see this for all division threads. I didn't even know the Stros hired Cecil Cooper! There's a namefrom way back.

Cubs ready to report, hungry for title

mngrduSt.jpg

MESA, Ariz. -- Cubs pitchers, from Jose Ascanio to Carlos Zambrano, will report to Fitch Park on Wednesday for the start of Spring Training.
Pitchers and catchers are not scheduled to officially work out until Thursday. Position players must report by Feb. 18, but Kosuke Fukudome is expected toarrive early on Friday as the Japanese outfielder gets a head start on his transition to the U.S. Major Leagues.

Fukudome, who has spent the last nine years in Japan, was the biggest offseason pickup for the Cubs, signing a four-year, $48 million deal to play rightfield.

The Cubs begin defense of the National League Central Division at Fitch Park, which is located a few blocks south of their spring home stadium, HoHoKamPark. It's been a harsh winter in Chicago, and the forecast for Mesa calls for temperatures in the upper 70s and sunshine. Bring sunscreen.

This will be Lou Piniella's second season with the Cubs, and he's got some questions to answer in the next six weeks in the desert. Let's startwith the starters. There are at least eight candidates for the five spots in the rotation. Zambrano, Ted Lilly and Rich Hill will likely be Nos. 1-2-3. But howshould the Cubs slot right-handers Jon Lieber, Jason Marquis and Ryan Dempster?

Lieber, the Cubs' last 20-game winner, is back for the first time since 2002. Since then, he has had two procedures on his right elbow, played for theNew York Yankees (14-8 in 2004), and went 3-6 with a 4.73 ERA for the Philadelphia Phillies last season.

He ruptured a tendon on the bottom of his right foot in an Interleague game on June 20 last season against Cleveland. Lieber underwent surgery and finishedhis rehab in early October. Now, he said, everything is fine, and the Cubs will get a first look at the right-hander on the mound this week.

If Zambrano can keep his distractions to a minimum, he could be the Cubs' next 20-game winner. He did notch a career-high 18 wins last season, and wonNL Pitcher of the Month honors with a 5-1, 1.38 ERA July. Then he was winless in five August starts.

There have been no bold predictions from Big Z. At least, not yet.

Hill led the team in strikeouts (183) and is coming off his first full season in the big leagues. Lilly can only hope to build on his 15-8 record and 3.83ERA from his first season in Chicago. Marquis was 12-9 with a 4.60 ERA, but he struggled in the second half for the second year in a row and was not given astart in the NL Division Series, which Arizona won in three games.

It's strange to say, or even think, but i expect the Chicago Cubs to win the NL Central in 2008. As we all know, this marks the 100 year anniversary ofthe Cubs' last World Title. How fitting and amazing would it be for the Cubs to win it all.....i can't start to imagine.

We have a great team. Solid pitching, a hell of an everyday lineup...and if we get B.Roberts from B-More, we'll have a great leadoff guy backed up bySori, D.Lee, Armamis, and Fukudome'.
Our bullpen may be the best in the NL with Wood, Marmol, and Howry.

I cannot wait. GO CUBS GO !!

The Cardinals might be too painful to watch this year.
When basketball season ends I'll have to make a sig that says something like this:

2008 ST LOUIS CARDINALS
ALBERT & 24 pieces of crap

I look forward to the sinking ship and dumpster quite often.

That's the beauty of a new season Zo....every team gets a fresh start. Except for the Devil Rays.

This season could hurt. I don't know what the Birds season is going to look like.

though the nationals are my team, i would just like to say that it's nice to see this thread starting. BASEBALL IS IN THE AIR!
pimp.gif

indifferent.gif

Health watch: Ace Chris Carpenter and supposed No. 2 starter Mark Mulder both could be sidelined until the second half of the season as they recover from surgeries.
For the record, I think I basically hate having these guys on the team now. Especially Mulder.

I don't even know what to think about this season. Go Pujols and Ankiel, I guess...?
tired.gif

[h2][/h2]
[h2]St. Louis Cardinals[/h2]Last year: 78-84, 3rd.
Manager: Tony La Russa.
Payroll: $97 million.
Headliners: Albert Pujols, Troy Glaus, Yadier Molina, Adam Wainwright.
Losses: Scott Rolen, Jim Edmonds, David Eckstein, Kip Wells, Troy Percival, Preston Wilson.
Health watch: Ace Chris Carpenter and supposed No. 2 starter Mark Mulder both could be sidelined until the second half of the season as they recover from surgeries.
X-factor: Rick Ankiel provided a huge lift after his arrival last August but will be challenged by pitchers who will be prepared for him.
Tipping point: No team in the majors is losing more established talent than St. Louis. The Cardinals' biggest loss could be GM Walt Jocketty, whose firing signaled an end to the franchise's stay among the NL's elite.
tired.gif
tired.gif
tired.gif
Damn we are in trouble this year.
mad.gif

Originally Posted by wildKYcat

damn, i gets no love...

254zn7k.jpg
Hey man, it could be worse. What the hell is Zo doing over there???
eek.gif
eek.gif
roll.gif

ARog, great start to the thread. I'm excited as always with a new season, but 100 freaking years!!! Sheesh.

I hope we build on what we did last season and not fold like a deck of cards as we have always done in the past. At the very least we need to try and make itregularly to the playoffs to gain that experience and maybe grease the wheels with a few free agents.

Good luck to everyone this season, can't wait to be in here full time during the summer.

The Brewers have a great lineup, and the young guys have another season under their belts. It's gonna come down to pitching with them.

I can almost say the same things for the Astros...very potent lineup. Not as young as Milwaukee, but dangerous nonetheless.

....and sorry wildKY...ran out of room and players when i first made that
laugh.gif
....Wisco should be in there too....maybe we'll get a new one later in the season.

^^^
no chance the brewers take the division. We all know that Sheets wont stay healthy and even if he does the most games he has ever won in a season is 12. theCubs have 5 guys who have won at least 12 games. not including Kerry Wood. And Gagne isnt what he once was. Cubs Bullpen looks pretty good too. We have 3 guyswho all look like they can close, Wood, Howry and Marmol(although i think he will be better in relief).
I am really looking forward to baseball season, especially because i think Sweet Lou will have the Northsiders whipped into shape.
i know i am gonna be hearing all kinds of 100 years garbage but i think the Cubbies might make a run at it this year.

Zodogg isn't humping Saunas leg like I am
sick.gif
laugh.gif

The Cards are going to be causing me a lot of heartache this season. I am already working on a new dumpster photo. We need a new group photo, wildKYcat needs to be in it, along with some other members that have joind the ranks.

wBDWs84l.jpg

Best pitcher in the league ya'll
pimp.gif

laugh.gif
maybe not.. But I really do like our top three pitchers inGorzy, Snell, and Duke (if he actually is healthy for a change)... Our line up still blows however, so these three would have to go crazy for us to make anynoise this year... But hell, who knows - if the Tigers and Rockies can put it together, why not the Buccos?

Anyways - I always pop in at the start of the year and whenever the Bucs take the occasional sweep or 6 game win streak.. but i mostly just come here toread what you guys post. Good luck this year, take it easy on us for a change please.

Where the feezy am I? Haha I've been up in these threads since the OG.

Redbirds suck, Brewers suck, Stros suck, Big Red Machine suck, Bucs
laugh.gif

Haha it's all love, go Cubbies! I'm cautiously optimistic, but it's like that every year. I'm preparing for another year of an emotionalroller coaster
frown.gif

Back
Top Bottom