***Official 2009 N.L. Central Thread*** Congrats to the Cardinals***

arstyle27

Supporter
Well, it's that time again. With many pitchers and catchers already reporting to Spring Training, it's time to bring back the best baseball thread onNikeTalk. A new season provides new hope. It's a fresh start, and every team starts off in 1st place.

l11572595329_1277.jpg

Chicago Cubs

Last year: 97-65, 1st; lost to Dodgers in first round

Manager: Lou Piniella

Headliners: Carlos Zambrano, Rich Harden, Ryan Dempster, GeovanySoto, Aramis Ramirez, Alfonso Soriano

Additions: Milton Bradley, Kevin Gregg, Aaron Miles, Aaron Heilman, Joey Gathright, So Taguchi, Jeff Stevens, Luis Vizcaino

Losses: Kerry Wood, Mark DeRosa, Bob Howry, Jason Marquis, Henry Blanco, Jim Edmonds, Daryle Ward, Ronny Cedeno, Felix Pie, Rich Hill

Health watch: Harden's shoulder is a concern. The Cubs hope he can make 25 starts but plan on being six, even seven, deep in starters tomake Harden a luxury item rather than an essential one.

X-factor: Bradley received a three-year contract despite a history of injuries and questions about his temperament and fielding skills. Hebrings a dangerous bat and valuable energy. It will be interesting to see if he becomes beloved or is bedeviled by the Wrigley fans.

Tipping point: Piniella's biggest mission is rebuilding a bullpen that has Carlos Marmol as thecloser in waiting and Gregg hoping to receive regular save opportunities, as he did in Florida. Jeff Samardzija has thetalent to play a big role if he's not needed in the rotation.

brewers%281%29.jpg

Milwaukee Brewers

[h2]BREWERS[/h2]Last year: 90-72, 2nd

Manager: Ken Macha

Headliners: Ryan Braun, Prince Fielder, Corey Hart, J.J. Hardy, TrevorHoffman

Additions: Braden Looper, R.J. Swindle, Jorge Julio, Trot Nixon,Chase Wright, Ramiro Mendoza, Scott Thorman, Hoffman

Losses: CC Sabathia, Ben Sheets, Salomon Torres, Brian Shouse,Eric Gagne, Derrick Turnbow, Russell Branyan, Gabe Kapler, Mike Lamb, GuillermoMota

Health watch: Chris Capuano is attempting a comeback after two major elbow surgeries.

X-factor: Even after trading Matt LaPorta to get Sabathia, Milwaukee has talented position players coming in shortstop Alcides Escobar, thirdbaseman-first baseman Mat Gamel and catcher Angel Salome. They could prompt some veterans to be declared expendable during the season, especially Hardy andFielder

Tipping point: A thin rotation lost its first two guys. To compete, the Brewers need 30-plus solid starts from Yovani Gallardo, Jeff Suppan and Manny Parra.

astros.jpg

Houston Astros

Last year: 86-75, 3rd

Manager: Cecil Cooper

Headliners: Roy Oswalt, Lance Berkman, Miguel Tejada, Carlos Lee, Hunter Pence

Additions: Mike Hampton, Aaron Boone, Toby Hall, Jason Michaels, Russ Ortiz, Clay Hensley, DannyGraves

Losses: Brad Ausmus, Randy Wolf, Mark Loretta

Health watch: His eight-year contract finally over, Hampton is looking to work 100-plus innings for the first time since 2004.

X-factor: Ausmus, the Astros' regular catcher since 2001, has moved on. Humberto Quintero, J.R.Towles, Lou Palmisano and Hall will compete for the job in camp. None have Ausmus' touch in developing pitchers.

Tipping point: The salaries for Berkman, Lee and Tejada limited what GM Ed Wade could do in bringing in proven parts for the pitching staff.He tried but failed to sign Wolf, making it imperative for Hampton, Brandon Backe, Brian Moehler and Wandy Rodriguez to carry a bigger workload.

st_louis_cardinals.jpg

St. Louis Cardinals

Last year: 86-76, 4th

Manager: Tony La Russa

Headliners: Albert Pujols, Adam Wainwright, Kyle Lohse, Ryan Ludwick, Rick Ankiel

Additions: Khalil Greene, Trever Miller, Royce Ring

Losses: Cesar Izturis, Braden Looper, Jason Isringhausen, RussSpringer, Aaron Miles, Adam Kennedy, Mark Mulder, Ron Villone, Jason LaRue

Health watch: Troy Glaus had shoulder surgery in the off-season and will open the season on the disabledlist. Chris Carpenter believes a second elbow surgery finally has given him relief, hopefully allowing him to return tothe rotation in the first half of the season.

X-factor: GM John Mozeliak used up his budget to re-sign Lohse, forcing him to cross his fingers about a bullpen missing a proven closer.Youngsters Chris Perez and Jason Motte could emerge as key parts.

Tipping point: La Russa and longtime pitching coach Dave Duncan once again have their work cut out for them with the pitching staff.Carpenter's return could give St. Louis a shot to surprise.

blog_reds.jpg

Cincinnati Reds

Last year: 74-88, 5th

Manager: Dusty Baker

Headliners: Edinson Volquez, Joey Votto, Jay Bruce, Bronson Arroyo, Francisco Cordero

Additions: Ramon Hernandez, Willy Taveras, Arthur Rhodes, JacquesJones, Daryle Ward, Jonny Gomes, Aaron Fultz

Losses: Corey Patterson, Ryan Freel, Jeremy Affeldt, Mike Lincoln, Matt Belisle, Gary Majewski, KentMercker, Paul Bako, Josh Fogg, Javier Valentin

Health watch: A compression fracture in his left knee caused Alex Gonzalez to miss 2008. He has beencleared for spring training, but will he hold up?

X-factor: Aaron Harang served up 35 homers and went 6-17 last season.

Tipping point: In Adam Dunn and Ken Griffey Jr., the Reds lost a ton of pop with midseason trades lastyear. The onus is on the 21-year-old Bruce to pick up the slack.

pittsburgh_piratesgif.png

Pittsburgh Pirates

Last year: 67-95, 6th

Manager: John Russell

Headliners: Nate McLouth, Ryan Doumit, Adam LaRoche, Paul Maholm

Additions: Eric Hinske, Ramon Vazquez, Jason Jaramillo, Donald Veal, Virgil Vazquez

Losses: Ronny Paulino, Doug Mientkiewicz, Luis Rivas, JasonMichaels, Chris Gomez, Denny Bautista

Health watch: Lefty Phil Dumatrait will miss the season after shoulder surgery. Outfielder Brandon Moss comes to camp after having his kneescoped.

X-factor: Speedy center fielder Andrew McCutchen is a potential impact player but could return to Triple A to start the season. He should beon the Rookie of the Year short list if he's up before Memorial Day.

Tipping point: A 14-game improvement is needed to avoid a 17th consecutive losing season. The only way that will happen is with a majorturnaround from the starting rotation. Ian Snell and Maholm have long-term deals, but it's starting to look like now or never for Tom Gorzelanny and ZachDuke.

We gotta keep it clean and respectful, but a little trash talkin' never hurt nobody! We'regonna be in for another fun season, and it'll be great to see all the old names from the past threads. New fans are always welcome. Good luck to everyoneand their teams!!

GO CUBS !!!

Last year we started the thread the first day pitchers and catchers reported......so oh yeah, it's time.

AR - I was just about to PM you about when you were going to start this thread up...and it's time.

Looking forward to the many compliments, cheap shots, smack talking and bickering that is the NL Central Thread.

pimp.gif
, Let's go!

[h1]Cubs woo President Obama to camp[/h1][h2]Team hopes noted White Sox fan stops by while in town on Wednesday[/h2]MESA, Ariz. -- The Cubs are well aware President Barack Obama isa White Sox fan, but they extended an invitation to him to visit their Spring Training camp on Wednesday when he's in Arizona.
Cubs first baseman Derrek Lee, who contributed to Obama's campaign, was asked to sign a baseball for the president on Tuesday. Obama is scheduled tospeak at a Mesa high school on Wednesday.

"He's more than welcome -- I'm a big fan of President Obama," said Lee, who wore Obama T-shirts last season during the campaign. "Idefinitely supported him, and not only because he's black but because he's qualified, so I'm a fan of him."

However, Lee is aware that Obama lived on the South Side of Chicago.

"It seems like he's a pretty die-hard Sox fan," Lee said. "I don't think you're going to convert to a Cubs fan."

Well, Obama's message has been about bipartisanship and reaching across the aisle, so maybe he could adjust his baseball allegiance.

"That's politics," Lee said. "You can't be like that in sports."

Cubs manager Lou Piniella also extended an invitation.

"We've got to get him a Cubs hat over there," Piniella said. "We can sneak 'Chief Wahoo' over there."

Chief Wahoo? Piniella didn't mean the Cleveland Indians mascot but Ronnie "Woo Woo" Wickers, an iconically annoying Cubs fan, depending onyour proximity.

Back to Obama.

"It would be nice for him to mention the Cubs once in awhile," Piniella said. "If he wants to come out here, we'd love to have him.I'm really happy to see he enjoys baseball and I'm happy to see he's a White Sox fan, but mention the Cubbies once in awhile, too.
"Thereare two good teams in Chicago," Piniella said.

Can we just rename this the Brewers and Scrubs thread? No other team legitimately has a chance, especially not the Cardinals who will be fighting the Piratesto stay out the of the cellar.

Cubs got this Pitching way too strong
If Bradley pans out and Kosuke has a decent year that offense will be just as good
Marmol got the closer spot down Gregg and Jeff Samardzija setting him up is fire
no injuries, another southpaw in the pen Diision title and so on

Originally Posted by Wisconsin 4 Life

Can we just rename this the Brewers and Scrubs thread? No other team legitimately has a chance, especially not the Cardinals who will be fighting the Pirates to stay out the of the cellar.

Wisco wasting no time.
roll.gif

Can we just rename this the Brewers and Scrubs thread? No other team legitimately has a chance, especially not the Cardinals who will be fighting the Pirates to stay out the of the cellar.

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

You could have made this post on at least page 12 or something, this will be very easy to find around September.

Originally Posted by CP1708

Gentlemen.

*Tips cap*

pimp.gif
::gives pound::

I rarely check NT as much as before, but I'm sure I'll be poppin' in this thread here and there. Still hoping the Cubbies can grab Peavy...

U just couldn't wait could you??? After your team choked you still have confidence??? Y'all couldn't win with C.C., the hell makes you think theycan win without him?? Aaaaanyway, cardinals again made no moves to make this season look any different than the rest of the years. Hopefully carp lohse andwainright will keep us afloat....and it perez has learned another pitch besides that 97mph fastball....thee closer spot will be on lock

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

No way man, I thought for sure you wouldn't come in this thread this season.

No CC + no Sheets = No chance for the Brewers in 09. I don't care how many donuts you feed Cecil Jr.

And right here on page 1.
laugh.gif
I expect to see this quoted on page 53,page 97, page 145...........Cards fans gonna be on you ALLLLLLLLLL year my dude. Just like last year when you were so happy to be tied for first for just oneday and then I quoted you for two weeks while we went on a long winning streak and you guys went on a losing streak.
pimp.gif
I think it was something like "Awwww, look who's in first placenow"

and then you never were again the rest of the season.
roll.gif

And let's not forget the PM's you sent to us Cubs fans for choking out of the playoffs, the day before your Brewers did the same.
laugh.gif

Glad you're back Shoes, er, I mean W4L.

Arstyle, Truthmain, CP1708....fistbumps....

I'm actually headed to Wrigley tonight to snag my season ticket bracelet. I now live 77 paces from the ballpark, so its not a far trek.....

Thoughts on the new guys (Milton Bradley, Aaron Miles, Aaron Heilman, Kevin Gregg)? Also, your ideal closer - Gregg or Marmol?

And any guess on the fifth starter? Its sounding like Sean Marshall might have the inside track.

Originally Posted by FLINTGREY

Arstyle, Truthmain, CP1708....fistbumps....

I'm actually headed to Wrigley tonight to snag my season ticket bracelet. I now live 77 paces from the ballpark, so its not a far trek.....

Thoughts on the new guys (Milton Bradley, Aaron Miles, Aaron Heilman, Kevin Gregg)? Also, your ideal closer - Gregg or Marmol?

And any guess on the fifth starter? Its sounding like Sean Marshall might have the inside track.
Sup Flint....and everyone else.

In regards to ur comments Flint, I like the Bradley signing, if he stays healthy of course , which is the first thing anyone says in regards to him. Afterseeing Abreu sign for 5 mil though, damn.....we kinda overpaid for Milton maybe.

I hate Aaron Miles....

Heilman has been terrible of late, but be a good surprise if no one expects anything out of him.

Gregg is intriguing...

Marmol should be the closer. I like that he and Gregg will battle it out, loser should be the setup guy, I think.

Then there's Zamardsjda....i butchered his name....he could be the set up guy, the 5th starter, long reliever, or normal bullpen guy.

Agreed.

Individual Cubs game tickets went on sale at 10 am this AM if anyone cares. Go to www.chicagocubs.com.

And any of you that want the latest issue of Vineline and a Cubs 2009 schedule, PM me your address....

Back
Top Bottom