Official 2009 National League Champs: Philadelphia Phillies beat the Dodgers 4-1 Vol. Broxton = SOFT

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

Bench: Dodgers > Phils

Pen: Dodgers > Phils

Starters: Phillies > Dodgers

Lineup: Phillies > Dodgers

Dodgers are better prepared for this series with all those lefties this time around. I hope the Dodgers win but I think it will be the same ol' tune as last season.
smh.gif
Phils don't even need a lights out pen they just come back and win games late anyways.

I don't think the Phillies lineup is better, they have more power, but they are not better. Phils don't need a lights out pen, but it is a goodthing we have one to neutralize those "comebacks". With Sherrill setting up and Kuo healthy, plus the probability of having Scott Elbert available,we are well suited to neutralize the powerful left handed bats that the Phillies have.

Lineup: Dodgers = Phillies

Bullpen: Dodgers>>>Phillies

Starters: Dodgers> Phillies

Ace: Phillies > Dodgers

Bench: Dodgers> Phillies

PS: I know it usually happens when East Coasters are tucked in bed, but we know a thing or two about comebacks as well
wink.gif

%+@#!$!@ start time for the dodgers once again

The only game time announced was for Game 1 and it will be a 5pm start, 20 minutes earlier than last season. No big deal. We'llsee what the start time will be for Game 2
eyes.gif

I still don't get why people keep doubting our starting pitching, first in ERA in the NL.

We don't have that "sexy" ace that everyone salivates over, but as the post season shows an ace doesn't dictate the outcome of a game.

Its all good though, keep comin with the doubts
happy.gif

You know what it is
pimp.gif

Times have been updated on page 1 per ESPN MLB scoreboard.

From that game 1 is 5:07PM PST and game 2 on a FRIDAY at 1:37PM PST
indifferent.gif
smh.gif

HFA?

[h2]Five questions about Phillies-Dodgers[/h2]

Comment Email Print By Tim Kurkjian
ESPN The Magazine

[h4]NLCS: PHILLIES VS. DODGERS[/h4]
Complete coverage of the Phillies-Dodgers matchup.
So, here we go again. The Philadelphia Phillies and Los Angeles Dodgers will meet in the National League Championship Series, just like last season. The Dodgers again will be coming off a convincing sweep of the NL Central champs; last year, it was the Cubs, this year, the Cardinals. The Phillies again will be coming off a division series victory in four games; last year, it was the Brewers, this year, the Rockies. Last year, the Phillies beat the Dodgers in five games. This season, the Dodgers won four of seven games in their season series. It was a low-scoring series, with the losing team scoring three or fewer runs in each game. How will this one go? If you really think you know the answer to that question, after how this postseason has gone and with the remarkable way the Phillies won Game 4 at Coors Field, you're kidding yourself. Just when you think you understand this game, you don't. Here are five questions:
6370.jpg

Broxton
[h3]1. How good is the Dodgers' bullpen?[/h3]It is very good and very deep. In 2009, it ranked first in the majors in ERA, batting average against and WHIP, and second in wins. But it had 26 blown saves, tied with the Astros for most in the NL, and tied for second most in the big leagues behind the Mariners. The LA bullpen is loaded with arms, beginning with closer Jonathan Broxton, who throws in the upper 90s, and was the hardest pitcher to hit (average against was a major league low .165) in the game. George Sherrill gives them a left-hander for the late innings, and left-hander Hong-Chih Kuo throws in the mid-to-upper-90s. The Dodger pen was terrific in the division series against the Cardinals, but one warning: The Dodger pen had a heavy workload this year. It had the fourth-most appearances, and third-most innings pitched, in the big leagues. In the last 20 years, the only team to advance to the World Series being in the top 10 in bullpen innings was the 2007 Rockies.
5383.jpg

Utley
[h3]2. Can any team stop the power, especially from the left side, of the Phillies?[/h3]The Phillies are the second team in major league history to have three left-handed batters with 30-plus home runs: Ryan Howard, Chase Utley and Raul Ibanez (the other team was the 1929 Phillies). This is where Sherrill and Kuo will be so important in the late innings, and where Game 1 starter Randy Wolf, a former Phillie, will be so important for at least two starts. Wolf had, by far, the best OPS (.417) against left-handed batters in the major leagues this year (Oakland reliever Andrew Bailey was next at .470). Clayton Kershaw, who likely will start Game 2, had the third-best OPS against left-handers at .489. If the Dodgers can throw the left-handers in the first two games at big Dodger Stadium, then have more of the sinkerball types (led by Vicente Padilla) for the smaller Citizens Bank Park, they might be able to handle the Phillies' lineup. Howard went 3-for-28 with 11 strikeouts against the Dodgers this year, and Utley and Jimmy Rollins hit under. 200. But when those three big left-handed hitters are swinging well, to go with Jayson Werth, no staff will be able to stop them.
5029.jpg

Hudson
[h3]3. How good is the Dodgers' bench?[/h3]It is very good and very deep. Teams with a good bullpen and a good bench always have a chance in the postseason, and few benches are more versatile and experienced than the Dodgers. Jim Thome, Orlando Hudson, Juan Pierre, Mark Loretta, Brad Ausmus and Juan Castro provide the Dodgers with everything they need off the bench: speed, power, defense and flexibility. Keeping 11 pitchers in the first round gave manager Joe Torre more options than had Cardinals manager Tony La Russa. It was Loretta's game-ending hit against the Cardinals in Game 2 that turned the division series.
6216.jpg

Hamels
[h3]4. What did we learn about the Phillies' pitching in the division series?[/h3]First, we know that Cliff Lee, who had never pitched in the postseason, certainly was ready, throwing extremely well in both of his starts. But because he started Monday night, the earliest he could go is Game 2 in the NLCS, and that would be on short rest, as he did barely without issue in Game 4 at Coors Field. That means Cole Hamels would start Game 1 against the Dodgers, as he did in the NLCS last year. Hamels gave up one earned run in 16 innings against the Dodgers. With Hamels, Lee, Joe Blanton, J.A. Happ and Pedro Martinez, the Phillies have five starters for four spots. But Martinez hasn't pitched since Sept. 30, and has thrown only seven innings since Sept. 13. The bigger question, as always, is the Phillie bullpen. Embattled Brad Lidge saved a 6-5 win in Game 3 with a scoreless ninth inning. In Game 4, after Scott Eyre faced the first four batters of the inning, Lidge came on to strike out Troy Tulowitzki to end the game with a nasty slider. But yet another warning about Lidge: In 3 2/3 innings against the Dodgers this year, he allowed eight hits and had a 7.36 ERA.
2974.jpg

Ramirez
[h3]5. What benefit came from the suspension of Manny Ramirez?[/h3]Ramirez hit .355 the first half of the season, .255 the second half. By not being Manny at the plate, and not carrying that team the second half of the season, or in the first round of the playoffs as he did last year, other Dodgers found their identities. It is still Manny's team offensively; he is still the key guy, their best hitter, and he did have three great swings in Game 3 against the Cardinals. But several Dodgers, including Andre Ethier and Matt Kemp, were forced to take a bigger role offensively without Manny, or without Manny at his best. Ethier went 6-for-12 with five extra-base hits and two home runs in the division series. He hit four walk-off home runs this season (more than Manny or Ted Williams hit in their careers) and Kemp drove in 101 runs. Now, it seems, the Dodgers aren't waiting around for Manny to get a big hit. Now, others do.
PREDICTION: PHILLIES IN SEVEN
Tim Kurkjian is a senior writer for ESPN The Magazine. His book "Is This a Great Game, or What?" was published by St. Martin's Press and is available in paperback. Click here to order a copy.

I'm not doubting the Dodgers starters, but I like Lee and Hamels as the front two

Manny needs to hit if the Dodgers are going to stay in this...

Originally Posted by SCuse7

I'm not doubting the Dodgers starters, but I like Lee and Hamels as the front two

Manny needs to hit if the Dodgers are going to stay in this...
yeah and everyone said dodgers cant beat carpenter and wainright ..
as i watch the rockies/phil series, i like our chances against the phillies.
this dodger team is not last years dodgers team..

i want to sue over these start times.. how you gonna start a game on friday at 1pm? people in philly aint even off work yet to watch the game... who does thisbenefit?

oh yea..the piece of crap yankees who need the show all to themselves on a friday night..

piss off NY.. piss off.

Dodgers in 6 or 7. We came to play this year. And it would be insane if we had a freeway world series. I hate angels fans.

Carpenter had a shaky first outing but he held his own and Wainwright was dominant, the problem with the Cards were their bats (never knew how terrible theywere vs lefties) and they choked.

But as for this series:

Both teams have "solid" pens, but Broxton is over-rated and Lidge has been terrible (more like horrific).

And the Dodgers have a solid lineup but the Phils are far more explosive. They can put up crooked numbers with one swing.

Lee/Hamels > Dodgers starters....this is not 1-5 in a regular season, this is a short series we're talking about.

Dodgers have the clear advantage with their pen (overall) and bench, plus they have more lefties to face the Phils lefty-heavy lineup.

But....Phils in 6 unfortunately (hope not).

Originally Posted by amarusgear

Who wants to go to game 2? There should be some good deals. Come on, they need our support!

I'm still on the hunt for game 1 tix, some dude was trying to sell me LF Pav ROW Z, yes ROW Z for $100 a piece. Smh.

ill be selling my game 2 tickets in top deck. cant get off work for sure.. probably gonna head to vegas for the weekend..

Originally Posted by Matt Barkley Heisman Number 8

$!! is a 1:30 pm start time on friday? mlb schedulers are drunk. aint no one outside of la or philly watching that game with that time start.

I'm seriously scratching my head at how MLB schedules these playoff games.

Wouldn't it make more sense to schedule the Yankee/Angel game at 7 (EST) and schedule us at 7 PST (10 EST). It's a Friday night, people in Phillycould stay up late and ratings will be better. The game will end between 1-2am EST, but like I said, it is a Friday Night.

Friday day game, what idiot at the Network thought of that. Once again, attendance is going to take a hit
smh.gif

I just don't see it from a ratings standpoint. More eyes will be watching later in the night than at mid-day.

"Lee/Hamels > Dodgers starters....this is not 1-5 in a regular season, this is a short series we're talking about."

Hamels has been struggling and actually got hit pretty hard against the Rockies, at home.

You really think Carpenter held his own,
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
. Stop it, you are better than that.

Broxton is overrated,
roll.gif
. You are killing me Mez.

7-2, 2.61 ERA, 114 K's, 29 BB's, .165 BAA, get's a K 38% of the time.

bright nikes wrote:
I still don't get why people keep doubting our starting pitching, first in ERA in the NL.

We don't have that "sexy" ace that everyone salivates over, but as the post season shows an ace doesn't dictate the outcome of a game.

Its all good though, keep comin with the doubts
happy.gif

You know what it is
pimp.gif

nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

eek.gif

laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom