:: Official 2010 NBA Free Agency Thread ::

Who the hell would let anyone even write down a $34 million deal for Amir !###+$$ Johnson?!?

Originally Posted by Noskey

Who the hell would let anyone even write down a $34 million deal for Amir !###+$$ Johnson?!?

You can count on the Raptors to overpay every single player they sign, but as a Raptor fan I'm happy he's coming back to the team, dudes statistics have improved and he's getting alot better.
smokin.gif

If we actually had a good pg he's be much more effective.

Yeah he has potential and he did improve last year, but I just cant see him being worth 34 mil over 5 years. He'll really have to prove he's worth it with how much his minutes are looking to increase.

Amir Johnson is only 22, he is an excellent rebounder, an a prodigious shot blocker, incredible athlete, only good defensive player on the raptors, when he was on the court we gave up 10 points less, he still has untapped potential. Im good with the deal, I think there is a good chance he will totally out play it, and considering this is a market where drew Gooden got despite being an inferior player, I think the contract is fine.

Players value is determined by the market not whatever igure you have in your head.

Amir is good player, has a lot of potential. Give him a some more touches and let him develop his game a lil bit, he could turn into a solid player. He is still young

Originally Posted by bhzmafia14

I just think its funny that people were saying the same thing about Pau Gasol when he was putting up 17 and 8 during his first 4 seasons in the league. People laughed at us for giving him that contract because he didn't necessarily deserve it. He couldn't take the team far and people expected more out of him since he was being paid like a star. Pau was around 24 or 25 at that time.

I know damn well that people on here wasn't raving about how great Pau Gasol was back then. I'm sure Rudy could flourish next to another superstar which is why he was still a highly coveted free agent. You can't doubt Rudy's talent. Its his LEADERSHIP. Similar to Pau, he can't lead a team. Now, put him next to somebody that will set him straight and there you have it. Another all-star.

People didn't even have Pau in their list as a top 10 big man in the league. They had guys like Jermaine O'neal ahead of him. Pau didn't make his first all-star appearance til 2006 at the age of 26 I believe, so it took him 5 years. Rudy is entering his 5th year at the age of 23. Its like people keep questioning his talent moreso than his leadership. As long as he's not the leader on whatever team he goes to and has a star next to him, he will do big things. Its not that hard to understand.

My main thing is that he's basically about to be the leader of our team since he's getting paid like one. Zach is still here, so I'm sure the players look to him before Rudy.

I'm sorry but there's no WAY in hell you look at Rudy Gay going to a team with a superstar and get "scared" like they're about to win a championship.  When Pau got traded, EVERY team scrambled and panicked to make a move because everyone KNEW how good Pau was.  He led that sorry Grizz team to the playoffs THREE TIMES!  Rudy has never even SNIFFED the playoffs so you making that comparison between the two sounds a bit silly to me.

Johnson, 23, averaged 6.2 points and 4.8 rebounds while playing all 82 games for the Raptors last season. Bradbury said Johnson considered about four teams before agreeing quickly to return to Toronto on the first day of free agency.

“Amir didn’t want to play the free agency game,

Interesting...was just listening to Rich Bucher on sportscenter say that these contracts have PLENTY of strings attached.

Apparently, with the CBA coming up, owners will be lobbying to be able to reduce current contracts...I guess similar to the NFL.

*ye shrug*

Originally Posted by AG 47

Interesting...was just listening to Rich Bucher on sportscenter say that these contracts have PLENTY of strings attached.

Apparently, with the CBA coming up, owners will be lobbying to be able to reduce current contracts...I guess similar to the NFL.

*ye shrug*

yup, read up on PHX contract push for Amare.
sick.gif

Originally Posted by got shoes

*ye shrug*

sick.gif

you got a link bro?

Suns sign Hakim Warrick, 3 year 12 mil, team option for 4th year.  If this is our last signing of the offseason,
indifferent.gif
to Sarver.

Originally Posted by OneTrust

Originally Posted by bhzmafia14

I just think its funny that people were saying the same thing about Pau Gasol when he was putting up 17 and 8 during his first 4 seasons in the league. People laughed at us for giving him that contract because he didn't necessarily deserve it. He couldn't take the team far and people expected more out of him since he was being paid like a star. Pau was around 24 or 25 at that time.

I know damn well that people on here wasn't raving about how great Pau Gasol was back then. I'm sure Rudy could flourish next to another superstar which is why he was still a highly coveted free agent. You can't doubt Rudy's talent. Its his LEADERSHIP. Similar to Pau, he can't lead a team. Now, put him next to somebody that will set him straight and there you have it. Another all-star.

People didn't even have Pau in their list as a top 10 big man in the league. They had guys like Jermaine O'neal ahead of him. Pau didn't make his first all-star appearance til 2006 at the age of 26 I believe, so it took him 5 years. Rudy is entering his 5th year at the age of 23. Its like people keep questioning his talent moreso than his leadership. As long as he's not the leader on whatever team he goes to and has a star next to him, he will do big things. Its not that hard to understand.

My main thing is that he's basically about to be the leader of our team since he's getting paid like one. Zach is still here, so I'm sure the players look to him before Rudy.

I'm sorry but there's no WAY in hell you look at Rudy Gay going to a team with a superstar and get "scared" like they're about to win a championship.  When Pau got traded, EVERY team scrambled and panicked to make a move because everyone KNEW how good Pau was.  He led that sorry Grizz team to the playoffs THREE TIMES!  Rudy has never even SNIFFED the playoffs so you making that comparison between the two sounds a bit silly to me.

The funny thing is though, no one wanted really was up on Pau and considered him a top 3 PF until the Lakers landed him.

Originally Posted by got shoes

*ye shrug*

sick.gif

you got a link bro?
yahoo sports

Originally Posted by rck2sactown

Originally Posted by nicedudewithnicedreams

I think the max that Durant can get after his rookie contract ends is $85 million for 5 years. Question is, if Thunder want to save money and hope the new CBA changes it up next summer, should they wait till then or just do the extension now? Sike, of course they do it now.
If they waited till next summer then they are just testing his loyalty
laugh.gif
. I say if they do wait till the new CBA then he will resign and OKC would save a ton of cash-moneys.
In a couple of years, we are going to have to deal with Tyreke's rookie contract ending too.
ohwell.gif

I think the max that Durant can get after his rookie contract ends is $85 million for 5 years. Question is, if Thunder want to save money and hope the new CBA changes it up next summer, should they wait till then or just do the extension now? Sike, of course they do it now.

laugh.gif
. I say if they do wait till the new CBA then he will resign and OKC would save a ton of cash-moneys.
In a couple of years, we are going to have to deal with Tyreke's rookie contract ending too.
ohwell.gif

My brain isn't working too well right now.... but who was the last big major rookie to just pack up and leave after their rookie contract?? I honestly can't think of one
nerd.gif
T-Mac in Toronto???

laugh.gif
ohwell.gif

My brain isn't working too well right now.... but who was the last big major rookie to just pack up and leave after their rookie contract?? I honestly can't think of one
nerd.gif
T-Mac in Toronto???
long time ago, but Weber also and maybe Joe Smith

^nah his s+t involved players in return (diaw+2 1st rounds, Rondo+Lopez). Im talking about just giving his first team the F U and straight up signing away for like a 2nd round pick or expiring/non-serviceable player.

I don't remember anyone notable straight leaving and signing with another team without some sort of s&t or shady business (Joe Smith and Kevin McHale). Toronto did a s&t with T-Mac actually. And Webber did some crazy one year clause on his contract to get traded from the Warriors.

Anyways, I was just feeling cheap... These rookie contracts are cheap cheap compared to "good" players getting 20 mil/year. Yuck.

Originally Posted by JPZx

John Salmons a max deal now?

WHAT?
roll.gif

?

I dont know if you understood what i was saying, but i meant that if trash like Amir Johnson is getting that contract which is almost identical to Salmons offer on the table. He's gonna change his mind and want a *!*# ton more.

idk whats going on but some of these deals being made
smh.gif

^nah his s+t involved players in return (diaw+2 1st rounds, Rondo+Lopez). Im talking about just giving his first team the F U and straight up signing away for like a 2nd round pick or expiring/non-serviceable player.
Suns werent the team he was a rookie with, he was drafted by the celtics

Yea but you were proposing that Salmons might up his worth to a max contract.

He just accepted the 5/39 offer btw.

Originally Posted by Steve Cash

Suns werent the team he was a rookie with, he was drafted by the celtics
I think he meant rookie contract. A lot of players get traded before their first contract is over. Just wondering who was notable and straight up signed with another team with no compensation for the old team.

Back
Top Bottom