Official 2011-2012 Chicago Bears Season Thread

Figured I would start this thread...
I am thrilled with the Carimi pick. He's a guy who fills our biggest need and he'll contribute right away. He's definitely Tice's kind of guy and I think he'll fit in nicely here. Plus, he isn't soft like Williams.

Our remaining picks:

2 - 62

3 - 93

4 - 127

5 - 160

6 - 195

We have a lot of needs to be addressed, starting with OL. I'd hope to grab Stefen Wisniewski with our second round pick but I doubt he'll be available by then. I think we'll probably end up picking the BPA out of WR/CB/OL/DT; my prediction is Ras-I Dowling. Then again I don't really mind who we pick, as long as we don't reach.

Free agency supposedly starts next week. Personally, I'd like to target Malcom Floyd (assuming we don't take Hankerson or Little) and Justin Blalock. Floyd will allow Cutler to have a big target ala Brandon Marshall and can help bail him out under duress. Blalock on the other hand, who is not a Pro Bowl caliber player, is solid and will help provide stability on the OL which is what we desperately need. He's a realistic option compared to someone like Carl Nicks or Logan Mankins, and won't cost as much as them. If we sign Blalock, our line will probably look something like this:

LT: Webb

LG: Blalock

C: Kreutz

RG: Garza/Johnson (Probably gonna be a competition at TC)

RT: Carimi

Here's to next year. Please don't suck.

Figured I would start this thread...
I am thrilled with the Carimi pick. He's a guy who fills our biggest need and he'll contribute right away. He's definitely Tice's kind of guy and I think he'll fit in nicely here. Plus, he isn't soft like Williams.

Our remaining picks:

2 - 62

3 - 93

4 - 127

5 - 160

6 - 195

We have a lot of needs to be addressed, starting with OL. I'd hope to grab Stefen Wisniewski with our second round pick but I doubt he'll be available by then. I think we'll probably end up picking the BPA out of WR/CB/OL/DT; my prediction is Ras-I Dowling. Then again I don't really mind who we pick, as long as we don't reach.

Free agency supposedly starts next week. Personally, I'd like to target Malcom Floyd (assuming we don't take Hankerson or Little) and Justin Blalock. Floyd will allow Cutler to have a big target ala Brandon Marshall and can help bail him out under duress. Blalock on the other hand, who is not a Pro Bowl caliber player, is solid and will help provide stability on the OL which is what we desperately need. He's a realistic option compared to someone like Carl Nicks or Logan Mankins, and won't cost as much as them. If we sign Blalock, our line will probably look something like this:

LT: Webb

LG: Blalock

C: Kreutz

RG: Garza/Johnson (Probably gonna be a competition at TC)

RT: Carimi

Here's to next year. Please don't suck.

I'm glad somebody else made it last year I made it and I was in there solo dolo a lot but I'll update this one as I did that one starting now

I'm glad somebody else made it last year I made it and I was in there solo dolo a lot but I'll update this one as I did that one starting now

With the way Suh destroyed our O-Line last season as a rookie and the Lions drafting Fairley, I was happy the Bears addressed our O Line need. When is Wisiniewski projected to get drafted? Any DTs out there in the 2nd round?

With the way Suh destroyed our O-Line last season as a rookie and the Lions drafting Fairley, I was happy the Bears addressed our O Line need. When is Wisiniewski projected to get drafted? Any DTs out there in the 2nd round?

Originally Posted by shabooyah1124

Probably upper to mid second round for Wisniewski. He's also viewed as a guy that can be plugged in and contribute immediately.
As far as DTs go, there's quite a few names being thrown out there for Round 2 consideration: Marvin Austin, Stephen Paea, Jurrell Casey, Jarvis Jenkins, Kenrick Ellis, Drake Nevis, and Terrel McClain. I haven't really done my homework on any of them but Paea and Austin seem the most appealing. As far as concerns go, Austin has character issues and Paea tore his lateral meniscus. I'm not really sure if Angelo is gonna draft Austin because of this; I see Paea as a more likely option, especially considering the fact that Jerry loves injured players. In fact, rumor is that Angelo was going to draft Paea if Carimi was off the board. We'll see.

Originally Posted by shabooyah1124

Probably upper to mid second round for Wisniewski. He's also viewed as a guy that can be plugged in and contribute immediately.
As far as DTs go, there's quite a few names being thrown out there for Round 2 consideration: Marvin Austin, Stephen Paea, Jurrell Casey, Jarvis Jenkins, Kenrick Ellis, Drake Nevis, and Terrel McClain. I haven't really done my homework on any of them but Paea and Austin seem the most appealing. As far as concerns go, Austin has character issues and Paea tore his lateral meniscus. I'm not really sure if Angelo is gonna draft Austin because of this; I see Paea as a more likely option, especially considering the fact that Jerry loves injured players. In fact, rumor is that Angelo was going to draft Paea if Carimi was off the board. We'll see.

After botched trade, Bears were fortunate
April, 29, 2011
APR 29
12:56
AM ET
EmailPrintComments
By Kevin Seifert
Eight years ago, the Minnesota Vikings thought they had a draft-day deal with the Baltimore Ravens to move from the No. 7 to the No. 10 overall pick in the draft. They reported the trade to the NFL and assumed the Ravens had done the same.

Then they watched in horror as their television screens showed their time limit had expired and two teams jumped in front of them. The Ravens later claimed they could not get through to the NFL to report their end of the deal, a failure that embarrassed the Vikings even after they recovered to select defensive tackle Kevin Williams at No. 9 overall.

[+] Enlarge
AP Photo/M. Spencer Green
Bears GM Jerry Angelo admitted he "dropped the ball" while trying to make a trade with the Ravens.
That episode came to mind late Thursday night when the Ravens apparently got a dose of similar medicine. They believed they had a deal with the Chicago Bears to move from No. 26 to No. 29, but ultimately their time expired before the trade was finalized. The Kansas City Chiefs leapfrogged the Ravens to select Pittsburgh receiver Jonathan Baldwin, and the Ravens recovered to select Colorado cornerback Jimmy Smith.

Bears general manager Jerry Angelo wouldn't get into specifics with Chicago-area reporters, but admitted "I dropped the ball," and said he apologized to the Ravens. Presumably, Angelo didn't get the trade reported in time, but he strongly implied that the Ravens planned to take Smith at No. 29 and that the Bears would have taken Wisconsin offensive lineman Gabe Carimi at No. 26.

The Bears apparently thought the Chiefs would take Carimi. But as it turned out, Carimi was still available at No. 29.

"We had a disconnect and there might be something said about it because of not communicating with the league and proper protocol, that was my fault," Angelo said, according to my ESPNChicago.com colleague Jeff Dickerson. "I called Baltimore and apologized to Baltimore and told them it was our fault. They did everything according to the rules and we thought we were following everything and we just ran out of time. It was a glitch on our part and that glitch obviously was under my reign."

I give Angelo credit for owning up to a mistake that, fortunately, doesn't appear to have harmed either team. But it only adds to the perception of the Bears as a disorganized front office. Last year, they called running back James Starks to tell him they had drafted him before Angelo changed his mind at the last moment. And Brad Biggs of the Chicago Tribune reminds me that in 2002, a paperwork error led to the free-agent departure of receiver D'Wayne Bates.

The Bears got the player they wanted, but probably didn't inspire much confidence in the way they did it. Take that for what you will.

We got damn lucky if this was true

After botched trade, Bears were fortunate
April, 29, 2011
APR 29
12:56
AM ET
EmailPrintComments
By Kevin Seifert
Eight years ago, the Minnesota Vikings thought they had a draft-day deal with the Baltimore Ravens to move from the No. 7 to the No. 10 overall pick in the draft. They reported the trade to the NFL and assumed the Ravens had done the same.

Then they watched in horror as their television screens showed their time limit had expired and two teams jumped in front of them. The Ravens later claimed they could not get through to the NFL to report their end of the deal, a failure that embarrassed the Vikings even after they recovered to select defensive tackle Kevin Williams at No. 9 overall.

[+] Enlarge
AP Photo/M. Spencer Green
Bears GM Jerry Angelo admitted he "dropped the ball" while trying to make a trade with the Ravens.
That episode came to mind late Thursday night when the Ravens apparently got a dose of similar medicine. They believed they had a deal with the Chicago Bears to move from No. 26 to No. 29, but ultimately their time expired before the trade was finalized. The Kansas City Chiefs leapfrogged the Ravens to select Pittsburgh receiver Jonathan Baldwin, and the Ravens recovered to select Colorado cornerback Jimmy Smith.

Bears general manager Jerry Angelo wouldn't get into specifics with Chicago-area reporters, but admitted "I dropped the ball," and said he apologized to the Ravens. Presumably, Angelo didn't get the trade reported in time, but he strongly implied that the Ravens planned to take Smith at No. 29 and that the Bears would have taken Wisconsin offensive lineman Gabe Carimi at No. 26.

The Bears apparently thought the Chiefs would take Carimi. But as it turned out, Carimi was still available at No. 29.

"We had a disconnect and there might be something said about it because of not communicating with the league and proper protocol, that was my fault," Angelo said, according to my ESPNChicago.com colleague Jeff Dickerson. "I called Baltimore and apologized to Baltimore and told them it was our fault. They did everything according to the rules and we thought we were following everything and we just ran out of time. It was a glitch on our part and that glitch obviously was under my reign."

I give Angelo credit for owning up to a mistake that, fortunately, doesn't appear to have harmed either team. But it only adds to the perception of the Bears as a disorganized front office. Last year, they called running back James Starks to tell him they had drafted him before Angelo changed his mind at the last moment. And Brad Biggs of the Chicago Tribune reminds me that in 2002, a paperwork error led to the free-agent departure of receiver D'Wayne Bates.

The Bears got the player they wanted, but probably didn't inspire much confidence in the way they did it. Take that for what you will.

We got damn lucky if this was true

I'm not even close to being in football mode......I'll be back when the lockout thing is over.

I'm not even close to being in football mode......I'll be back when the lockout thing is over.

So our draft is finished. I'll give some analysis/grades on our draft class:
29 - Gabe Carimi - OT - Great, great pick. He'll be able to play for us right away and contribute for us immediately. Angelo said he's going to play Tackle, but otherwise doesn't know which side he'll be put on. It's been reported that Tice plans to move Webb to the left and put Carimi on the right. I'm not entirely sure though if I want J'Marcus guarding Jay's backside. We'll see how that turns out. But anyway, we fill one of our biggest needs and we got great value for our pick. A+

53 - Stephen Paea - DT - Personally I would have liked Leonard Hankerson at this spot, but this pick is still good. We fit another one of our needs and also get good value in return. Paea would have been a first rounder had he not tore his lateral meniscus prior to the Draft. However, his knees are a concern. Depending on his health, we may get only 4-5 productive years out of this guy. B+

93 - Chris Conte - S - And this is where we see the real Angelo. Safety could be a need depending on Danieal Manning's status, but honestly I don't see Conte staying with us past next season. Apparently Conte is gonna sit for a few seasons and come in to start for us later. But I really, really don't like this pick. This was the first time I've ever heard of Conte and with players such as Clint Boling and Curtis Brown on the board, I was really disappointed we ended passing on them. Mayock and Charles Davis apparently like him, so I'm a little intrigued, but overall I think we could have made a better pick. C- 

160 - Nathan Enderle - QB - Dan LeFevour 2.0. I don't understand why the hell we would draft a developmental QB when we have more pressing needs. We're just going to end up cutting him. No way he'll succeed Hanie. Bad, bad pick with little to no upside. This is some Millen type $%@!. F

195 - JT Thomas - LB - Solid pick. At worst we'll have a good ST player and I think he can possibly take over Pisa's spot if he leaves in free agency. He's versatile and adds LB depth, which may become a bigger need in the next two seasons depending on how long Urlacher and Briggs last. B-

Overall, we had potential to have a good draft but Angelo dropped the ball on Conte and Enderle. Our biggest need was OL and we end up drafting only one. We also failed to draft a WR or CB, which I considered our two biggest needs following OL. I'm not really excited about having Tim Jennings and an older Peanut starting at corner next year. I also don't like Knox and Hester as our starting receivers next year. Since free agency hasn't started yet, I'd have to envision that JA has some trick up has sleeve and will sign a few OL and possibly a #1 WR. I may be wrong about Conte, but overall this draft leaves a lot to be desired.

Back
Top Bottom