Official 2012-13 NEW YORK YANKEES Off-Season Thread | Rivera & Pettitte 1 MORE YEAR

Well since it still hasn't been created.. I guess I'll do it.

News So Far:

Signings/Re-Signings:
Kuroda Resigned 1 year / $15 million (Took Less Money To Stay Here)
Pettitte Resigned 1 year / $12 million
Rivera Resigned 1 year/ $10 million (Reported by USA Today)
Eli Whitside 1 year / $625K

Departures:
Russell Martin signed with the Pirates

Free Agents:
Eric Chavez (34)
Pedro Feliciano (36)
Freddy Garcia (36)
Raul Ibanez (40)
Andruw Jones (35)
Derek Lowe (39)
Rafael Soriano (32)
Ichiro Suzuki (39)
Nick Swisher (32)

According to NY Post Ichiro wants to come back
Soriano opted out (talking to the Tigers)
Swisher is gone, which we all knew and kind of are happy for (But maybe to the Red Sox :smh: )

Last edited:
We gotta sign Ichiro.

Bolster the bench.

Get a bullpen arm or 2.

And now...find a catcher. There is no chance we go into the season with Cervelli or Chris Stewart as our catcher. Our guys in the farm system like Gary Sanchez apparently aren't ready for the big leagues so...find a catcher.

We need to get younger. Lots more to come - Winter Meetings starting soon...get to work Cashman.

I'm all for Ichiro again. Dude hitting in this lineup is great for him.

I'll have to look at the FA's as to what I think we should do.

Just my take on who is out there.

Catcher :
Mike Napoli
AJ Pierzynski
Miguel Olivo

I'm not too thrilled about any of them, but I guess it will do.

Middle Infielder
Don't care what anyone says about his bat. I'm done with Nunez. He's such a horrible fielder there is no point of having his bat around.

Extremely weak year for 2B/SS, so not sure what we do. Scutaro is free, but after what he did in the playoffs, he will get a serious short term contract.

Don't know what we do here.

Third Base
Word is we are looking for a Veteran Third Baseman to Back up ARod. I think we should just go with Chavez again. He was solid the entire season. I think besides Chavez, maybe Scott Rolen.

But I go with Chavez first. Much cheaper option.

Outfield:

I've been advocating it for years, but I'll say it again. Josh Hamilton. I know there is a 0.0% chance he's a Yankee next season, but the idea of it is :pimp: (Barring him going into a Coke Filled Rager :lol:)

Ichiro is a great choice to bring back.

I like Bourne, but he's going to get a ridiculous contract, and if we have Jeter & Ichiro he'd be a 8th spot guy, and he's definitely a lead off hitter.

Shane Victorino isn't a bad choice.

A lot of people have been saying Cody Ross. I don't like the guy, so I'm biased on that front.

I could roll with Victorino, Grandy & Ichiro. With Gardener as a rotational backup getting a good amount of playing time.

Designated Hitter

It's obvious Raul So Cool will be back. Just off of what he did in the playoffs, he's already a legend. I think it wouldn't be bad to bring him back, ONLY to play DH. He should never touch the field.

Starting Pitching
I'm not sold on our rotation. I honestly don't think Pineda will be as quality a #2 as we hope. I think as a #3 he'd be fine. We need a #2, but can't always get what you want.. We have 6 starting pitchers (excluding minor league guys). I think we should stay with that, as opposed to 5. I think because of the age of Kuroda & Pettitte and the fact that CC is having more and more trouble year by year because he's a work horse. That everyone should lose a few starts in a year and we should go to 6 starters.

We need a number 2, But there's no way I give Greinke $25mil a year. It's so preposterous that I can't wrap my head around that number for him. So I think the better answer as opposed to going after a #2 that we won't find is to try and relieve some pressure on CC, Kuroda & Pettitte by keeping Nova & Hughes in the rotation at the back end.

Bullpen

I don't want to lose Soriano, but it looks likely.

Rivera, Robertson, Joba, Boone are definite

Rapada & Phelps are battling for a spot.

I think we need one more guy.

Who I don't know. Just wish we could stay with Soriano as the setup because that bullpen is great.

As a whole there is not a lot of depth in this FA pool to change much. I think we certainly have to pull off a trade. For either a RF or a Catcher. One or the other or perhaps both.

Last edited:
Soriano is most likely a Tiger
I'm pretty sure we get Ichiro back
I'm still confused what happened with Martin. I heard that we offered a three year deal but he wanted more and Pitt offered a three year but was looking at a four year deal. Yet he signed for two years?
Happy Swisher is gone
I wish those ******* upstairs would just open the checkbook and spend some bread. Get Josh Hamilton and Michael Bourn or the other Upton cat.

The thought of Soriano in Detroit scares me :smh:

But Im glad to have Kuroda, Rivera, Pettitte, and soon Ichiro back.

I'd kill to have Michael Bourn on our team. He is EXACTLY the kind of player that belongs in our lineup.

I wouldn't mind VIctorino either, but he'd be my last resort. I want Ichiro back and i want Bourn really bad.

in terms of catcher - I don't think there is any chance we go after Napoli, AJ is another story, he may be okay with us.

We have a Michael Bourn in Brett Garnder. There's no need for him, especially for five years. They're the exact same player, I'd rather have a healthy Gardner.

Shane is a platoon guy at best now. AJ is 36, not giving him two years. Rather wait for a trade to evolve or go with what we have. Survived the year with Martin at the plate, the rest can't be too bad. If they're serious about the luxury tax line then they need to work the wire for one year deal guys. Those guys often work out the best, way better clip than the long term guys.

We have a Michael Bourn in Brett Garnder. There's no need for him, especially for five years. They're the exact same player, I'd rather have a healthy Gardner.
Shane is a platoon guy at best now. AJ is 36, not giving him two years. Rather wait for a trade to evolve or go with what we have. Survived the year with Martin at the plate, the rest can't be too bad. If they're serious about the luxury tax line then they need to work the wire for one year deal guys. Those guys often work out the best, way better clip than the long term guys.

I'll take Victorino off the bench but if that's the case he won't sign with us. He thinks he can still start and I think some team will be willing to let him start.

In terms of Bourn and Gardner being the same player...i completely disagree.

Bourn is a much better player overall, in just about every facet of the game.

Since Brian Wilson is a free agent now. And likely will get a considerable amount less than Soriano's $15per. I'd like to see him in pinstripes.

Dude's personality is :rofl: and is a great fit for New York. But they'd probably make him shave his beard, which is his whole marketing schtick

No chance at it, but I like the thought.

Last edited:
Cody Ross was on the Red Sox during a bad time for us sooooo **** NO
Bourn is a much better player than Gardner, he's only around because Girardi has a crush on him.

We'll just agree to disagree then. I'm hopeful Gardner can show you guys how he was a top 2 LF'er in the two years prior to his injury last year. Moving to CF will only increase his value. He has a better SLG and gets on base at a much better clip. I don't see how you can say he's better at every facet. Especially at $15 million a year and he'll be in his decline phase for the last two years of the contract (if it's a five year deal). If you want the most value this offseason, go after the one year deal guys. They'll do so much more for this team than multiple year people.

A-Rod needs a second hip surgery this week, he'll be out 3-6 months. Here's a fun reminder:

Buster_ESPN Buster Olney
It's worth a mention: By the time the season starts, the Yankees will have a 37-year-old 3B who's had major surgery on both hips,owed $114m.
4 minutes ago

A-Rod needs a second hip surgery this week, he'll be out 3-6 months. Here's a fun reminder:

Buster_ESPN Buster Olney
It's worth a mention: By the time the season starts, the Yankees will have a 37-year-old 3B who's had major surgery on both hips,owed $114m.
4 minutes ago

:smh:

What I've heard is that they'll probably step up their pursuit of Stephen Drew. One SS recovering from a broken ankle and sign a SS/3B with completly destroyed ankles :lol: he can rake though, I'll give him that.

What I've heard is that they'll probably step up their pursuit of Stephen Drew. One SS recovering from a broken ankle and sign a SS/3B with completly destroyed ankles :lol: he can rake though, I'll give him that.

Just to be safe. Let's pay him $200million.

I think Phelps is really going to improve this off-season. Any chance we see a little Gary Sanchez this year?

I think he's still a year or so away. Needs some AA seasoning. Romine and his 80 year old back might be up this year though. I honestly think they may deal Sanchez but if it's for someone like Headley, I'd be ok with it. Let's see what Cashman does with this news. Now they're saying it's possible he'll miss the first half. I'm not a Napoli guy but him going to Boston will suck for the next year or so.

Pro anything new lately....???

I remember when Offseasons for Baseball were much more exciting :lol:

Back
Top Bottom