::Official 2012 Fantasy Baseball Thread::

Originally Posted by Ecook0808

Im down for it this Thursday night.

I'll be at the Dom Kennedy show in NY
ohwell.gif

Weeknights should work well in theory but some of us may have classes. Going to be kind of tough to figure out a time that works for everyone but where there's a will there's a way.

Sorry if the picture's huge, didn't have time to re-size it. One of my favorite teams this season, sample draft for others seeking advice. 10-team NT league.

Strategy: BPA. Don't reach for position. Somewhat fortunate that Joey Bats fell to me at sixth, decided between him and Tulo. Went three straight SP because value was too high to pass up on, despite my advice to wait for SP later in the draft if possible. Kershaw is the best SP in fantasy baseball, Halladay second. Verlander will not replicate even close to his sterling MVP/Cy Young 2011-2012 season. Cliff Lee will help anchor my rotation as a top-10 overall player last year (8th overall). I took Weaver over Hamels to narrow the SP pool for other managers but also for trade bait to possibly secure a big bat later in the season.

I'm high on Jennings, like the power/speed potential. Major SB threat. Young's versatility to cover for injuries. Morse is probably my second legitimate power threat after Bautista. The one pick I'm not happy about in hindsight is reaching for Posey in the eighth round. Honestly could have gotten more value at that point. Went Ax Man, Johnson, and Bell. Probably could have waited for RP/closers/saves but Axford and Bell are at the top of their position production-wise. Johnson is great SP value if he can stay completely healthy. Same with Davis, played well for the Mets pre-injury. Hardy is my starting SS (somewhat weak), hopefully will provide some pop but I don't expect last year's 30 homers. Backed him up with the versatile Bonifacio just in case. Love Ackley and backed him up with the speedy J. Weeks. Marmol is inconsistent but solid as a #3 RP/closer option. Feliz for pitching depth wherever he ends up, (rotation or bullpen later on). Clippard and Venters were both top-100 fantasy players despite the lack of saves, high K-rate and quality relief innings. Boesch will rake, one of my sleepers. Expect decent production from Trumbo. Roberts for 2B/3B depth late. 

Trades: Cueto (out) and Masterson/Bucholz (in). Dropped Bard for space. 

[table][tr][th=""]Round[/th][th=""]Pick[/th][th=""]Player[/th][th=""]Position[/th][/tr][tr][td]1.[/td][td](6)[/td][td]Jose Bautista[/td][td]3B,OF[/td][/tr][tr][td]2.[/td][td](15)[/td][td]Clayton Kershaw[/td][td]SP[/td][/tr][tr][td]3.[/td][td](26)[/td][td]Cliff Lee[/td][td]SP[/td][/tr][tr][td]4.[/td][td](35)[/td][td]Jered Weaver[/td][td]SP[/td][/tr][tr][td]5.[/td][td](46)[/td][td]Desmond Jennings[/td][td]OF[/td][/tr][tr][td]6.[/td][td](55)[/td][td]Michael Young[/td][td]1B,2B,3B[/td][/tr][tr][td]7.[/td][td](66)[/td][td]Michael Morse[/td][td]1B,OF[/td][/tr][tr][td]8.[/td][td](75)[/td][td]Buster Posey[/td][td]C[/td][/tr][tr][td]9.[/td][td](86)[/td][td]John Axford[/td][td]RP[/td][/tr][tr][td]10.[/td][td](95)[/td][td]Josh Johnson[/td][td]SP[/td][/tr][tr][td]11.[/td][td](106)[/td][td]Heath Bell[/td][td]RP[/td][/tr][tr][td]12.[/td][td](115)[/td][td]Ike Davis[/td][td]1B[/td][/tr][tr][td]13.[/td][td](126)[/td][td]J.J. Hardy[/td][td]SS[/td][/tr][tr][td]14.[/td][td](135)[/td][td]Dustin Ackley[/td][td]2B[/td][/tr][tr][td]15.[/td][td](146)[/td][td]Emilio Bonifacio[/td][td]3B,SS,OF[/td][/tr][tr][td]16.[/td][td](155)[/td][td]Carlos Marmol[/td][td]RP[/td][/tr][tr][td]17.[/td][td](166)[/td][td]Jemile Weeks[/td][td]2B[/td][/tr][tr][td]18.[/td][td](175)[/td][td]Neftali Feliz[/td][td]RP[/td][/tr][tr][td]19.[/td][td](186)[/td][td]Johnny Cueto[/td][td]SP[/td][/tr][tr][td]20.[/td][td](195)[/td][td]Tyler Clippard[/td][td]RP[/td][/tr][tr][td]21.[/td][td](206)[/td][td]Mark Trumbo[/td][td]1B,OF[/td][/tr][tr][td]22.[/td][td](215)[/td][td]Brennan Boesch[/td][td]OF[/td][/tr][tr][td]23.[/td][td](226)[/td][td]Ryan Roberts[/td][td]2B,3B[/td][/tr][tr][td]24.[/td][td](235)[/td][td]Jonny Venters[/td][td]RP[/td][/tr][tr][td]25.[/td][td](246)[/td][td]Daniel Bard[/td][td]RP[/td][/tr][tr][td]26.[/td][td](255)[/td][td]Wilson Ramos[/td][td]C[/td][/tr][/table]

i see desmond jennings and brett lawrie going in rds 3-5, are they really worth that high of a pick? what would you project their stats to be this season?

I think we should make the draft for some time this weekend, either leave it for 10 am saturday or maybe make it Sunday night. I'm anxious to get it started too 
laugh.gif

Cru,

That seems like a very well put together squad. Your top 4 starting pitchers = Cliff, Kershaw, Jered Weaver and Josh Johnson =
eek.gif

Bautista and Morse bring very good power to your OF, while still being balanced with Jennings. Ike is a potential 30 hr 90 rbi guy as 1 of your utility players (maybe that's the Met fan in me talking, maybe not).

Originally Posted by blackredxiiigoat

I think we should make the draft for some time this weekend, either leave it for 10 am saturday or maybe make it Sunday night. I'm anxious to get it started too 
laugh.gif

Cru,

That seems like a very well put together squad. Your top 4 starting pitchers = Cliff, Kershaw, Jered Weaver and Josh Johnson =
eek.gif

Bautista and Morse bring very good power to your OF, while still being balanced with Jennings. Ike is a potential 30 hr 90 rbi guy as 1 of your utility players (maybe that's the Met fan in me talking, maybe not).
Thanks for the input, man. I'm really hoping to flip Johnson or Weaver for another big bat, preferably Hosmer or Lawrie if possible. My pitching is strong but definitely need to shore up my offense a bit. I'd honestly be happy with 20-25/75-80 from Ike. 

Diew, Jennings is rated so high because of his power/speed potential. I expect 15/45/40(SB)/90(R) out of him rather easily. Only concern is the low BA similar to Ian Kinsler in a way. I see Jennings just on the cusp as a top-10 fantasy OF. Should be selected in the area of Cruz, Pence, and Bruce. 

Lawrie should easily be a top-50 fantasy player this year. He's already Toronto's favorite son and will have every opportunity to rake in Farrell's lineup. 30/85/90(R)/25(SB) is not out of the question for Lawrie. Plus he could sport a BA just over .280. Joey Bats probably won't have 3B eligibility this year so I'm only taking Longo, Beltre, and Zim over Lawrie for sure. Maybe Wright and Sandoval depending on who you ask. 

TBH, I might put Wright over Zim right now. Another guy I need to see stay on the field. I drafted Zim too
laugh.gif

Would they take away 3B eligibilty from Bats?

Originally Posted by Proshares

TBH, I might put Wright over Zim right now. Another guy I need to see stay on the field. I drafted Zim too
laugh.gif

Would they take away 3B eligibilty from Bats?
Fair enough. I'm not high on Wright this season for whatever reason, maybe just intuition. On the other hand, I'm big on Zim and the Nats as a whole this year. 
I read somewhere that it's likely Bautista's 3B eligibility is removed. Another point about eligibility. Montero is great value for a C with the way he hits. Can't find that type of power production from a catcher later in the draft. 

If anyone is down to get in on a 12 Team Roto Auction draft is tonight at 8pm CST. Very competitive and fun league with great managers.

Yahoo

League ID# 153840
Password: smellem

Only thing I ask is if you do sign up please be at the draft since it's an auction.

Originally Posted by diew its james

i see desmond jennings and brett lawrie going in rds 3-5, are they really worth that high of a pick? what would you project their stats to be this season?

both have HUGE upside going into this year.
Jennings is regarded as the next Carl Crawford. .275-.285 BA potential, 15 HR 50-60 RBI in the lead off spot and most importantly 40-60 steals this year.

Lawrie is the next big time third baseman, at least that's what he's projected as. He has great power, a tremendous bat, BUT he only has 175 plate appearances in the MLB, so a very small sample size.

Both should pan out to be stars, but try not to reach or over pay. I actually think Jennings is a little safer than Lawrie, but Lawrie will pay out bigger dividends if he gets to his projections this year.

I would have made this thread again this year, as I did last year, but I didn't see a major interest.

Fantasy Baseball is my specialty. I play in an ultra competitive keeper league, running now for 4 years.

Anyone have questions or need advice I'm ready to dish out. Was the most prepared I ever have been this year going into my draft, do your homework people it'll pay off. Read as much as you can, do mocks, listen to pod casts, and don't be scared to make bold moves. Just because there is a yahoo or espn ranking system doesn't mean you have to abide by it.

The way you win fantasy baseball / get the most out of your players is by drafting for value. Getting guys at a certain price/round and them ending up producing like a much earlier pick. Guys like Granderson last year and tons of others.

Originally Posted by venom lyrix

Jennings is regarded as the next Carl Crawford. .275-.285 BA potential, 15 HR 50-60 RBI in the lead off spot and most importantly 40-60 steals this year.

Lawrie is the next big time third baseman, at least that's what he's projected as. He has great power, a tremendous bat, BUT he only has 175 plate appearances in the MLB, so a very small sample size.

Both should pan out to be stars, but try not to reach or over pay. I actually think Jennings is a little safer than Lawrie, but Lawrie will pay out bigger dividends if he gets to his projections this year.

lets say you have the top 4 pick, so you would draft end of 2nd and early 3rd rd. would you reach for jennings or lawrie in early 3rd since he will not be there in late 4th/early 5th?

Diew,

that's too high for either of them IMO. It's also again the draft philosphy that Cru and Venom are suggesting. Best player available generally gives you better results than reaching for a player that, especially one that, while highly touted, is still largely unproven at the Major League level.

I'd cross my fingers that they were there in the 4th/5th but definitely wouldn't take them early 3rd.

Venom you sign up? I know you made our league last year.

Any stats you guys want me to add/drop just let me know. Its set at 5x5 right now.

Originally Posted by venom lyrix

lets say you have the top 4 pick, so you would draft end of 2nd and early 3rd rd. would you reach for jennings or lawrie in early 3rd since he will not be there in late 4th/early 5th?
Depends on how the first 3 rounds pan out, not in terms of who everyone else is picking, but who you chose. A big mistake people make is panicking. When they see a run of SP or C start they lose their minds, forget strategy and just draft the next best player at the position that's being run on. This is where value comes in. 
Why mindset this year was if I don't get Brian McCann, (the one catcher I targeted on my team, very consistent year in and year out) I'm not drafting a catcher till very late. I'll take a Russell Martin, or a Devin Mesoraco, someone late that will start every day and produce instead of over pay for someone early.

In terms of Lawrie and Jennings, draft wise here is how i see it.

With picking in the top 4 - the first round - assuming you're playing with competent individuals, Miggy, Pujols, Kemp are gone. So you're drafting either Tulo or Braun in this 4 spot, can't go wrong with either. If you're picking before the 4 look at the 3 above or sub Braun for any of those names and you're good to go. Coming back your probably going to take a Pedroia or Reyes, maybe a Fielder if he drops, or Kershaw, Verlander, Doc SP wise. any combo of that and you're set. 

Lawrie right now is the 7th ranked 3B. His ADP should be in about the end of the 4th mid 5th round, while Jennings ADP is end of 6th early 7th. Filling your infield with categories like runs, avg, and sb is the most important. Don't worry about HR's out of your ss,2b,3b, if pos, that's why you have a 1B, UTL and OF. Lawrie is a stat stuffer, so he has tremendous value if he lives up to the hype. I'd be willing to take Lawrie earlier then Jennings - as it should be, you can find what Jennings gives you in an OF easier than you can find what Lawrie can give you.

The other thing Lawrie has going for him and a reason you should probably go for him over Jennings earlier is Third Base this year is very shallow. It gets ugly quick. If you don't land one of the top 6-7 guys, don't be stupid and draft Aramis Ramirez or an injury riddled Kevin Youklis. Sit tight wait about 10-15 rounds and you can easily snag a David Freese, Emilio Bonifacio (eligible at 100 positions) or even break out candidate Mike Moustakas.

Reach for Lawrie in the mid 4th, and I'll be okay as he could end up easily being a top 4 third baseman this year especially hitting with Bautista.

I signed up - 3 leagues for me - don't like having that many but 1 is my big keeper lg the other 2 are with NT fam. I'm excited for baseball!!

Originally Posted by blackredxiiigoat

Do you guys think Corey Hart + Kyle Lohse for Adam Jones is too much for Jones, or about right?

I'm just not feeling Hart too much this year, think his production will take a step or 2 back mostly because of the loss of Fielder (I know Aramis Ramirez is there now) from the lineup but also with him getting a little older....

I don't buy the hype with Adam Jones. Corey Hart is a solid player, but coming off an injury and no Prince in the lineup. Lohse needs to repeat the performance of last year for me to believe anything. - Trade doesn't really help either side too much.

CJoe Mauer, Min C [Breaking News]
--/----------------------100.0+0
1BAdrian Gonzalez, Bos 1B [Breaking Video]
2BHoward Kendrick, LAA 2B, LF
3BAdrian Beltre, Tex 3B
SSDee Gordon, LAD SS [Breaking News]
LFJosh Hamilton, Tex LF, CF [Breaking Video]
CFAdam Jones, Bal CF [Recent News]
RFAndre Ethier, LAD RF [Breaking News]
OFEmilio Bonifacio, Mia SS, 3B, LF
UTILAlex Rios, CWS CF [Breaking News]
Totals--/--------------------0
BenchKelly Johnson, Tor 2B
BenchMark Trumbo, LAA 1B [Recent News]
--/----------------------81.1-0.1
BenchAdam Dunn, CWS 1B, DH
--/----------------------96.8+1
BenchDanny Espinosa, Wsh 2B
--/----------------------98.7-1
BenchJohn Mayberry Jr., Phi CF, LF
--/----------------------10.6-0.5
DL
--------------------------
DL
--------------------------
PITCHERSMar 28Mar 28 PitchingTotalRESEARCH
SLOTPLAYER, TEAM POSACTIONOPPSTATUS ETIPHERBBKWLSVHDPTS%OWN
PVance Worley, Phi SP [Recent News]
--------------------52.3+0.3
PCarlos Zambrano, Mia SP
--------------------12.4+3.1
SPYovani Gallardo, Mil SP
--------------------100.0+0
SPC.J. Wilson, LAA SP [Recent News]
SPTim Stauffer, SD SP
--------------------95.9-0.3
SPDerek Holland, Tex SP [Breaking Video]
--------------------66.7+8.9
SPJair Jurrjens, Atl SP
--------------------39.1-7.7
RPDrew Storen, Wsh RP DTD [Breaking News]
RPJason Motte, StL RP
RPAndrew Bailey, Bos RP [Recent News]

This is my squad from my $$ league. Philly heads, what's the word on John Mayberry Jr.?

double J's

Mayberry is in a very tough spot in Philly because there are only 3 spots in the OF and they have 5 OF's to play. His PT will be limited, I'm not a big fan to begin with but he may be worth a flier.

Back
Top Bottom