Official 2012 NBA Draft Thread

Originally Posted by ACBboyz84

LOL Cleveland will be irrelevant for the next 10 years . Something about that state and city is cursed

Kyrie is the truth, theyre more far along than most people think.

all Cleveland needs is a a legit 2 guard which i think Barnes or Beal would fit perfectly and maybe another lottery pick next year and we got Thunder 2.0

Originally Posted by RamZs8906

Originally Posted by solarius49

So............................................

No one is gonna talk about that trade between Charlotte and Detroit?

Oh Okay.

Its been talked about in the offseason thread
I said that to say does that show any indications of different routes in the draft?
Like, who is the starting SF for Charlotte.

And without a legitimate SG, is their a possibility Detroit drafts a player like Lamb...

Starting SF for the Bobcats will be Harrison Barnes. 

He'll be there at #2 or at #4.

IF this is the guy MJ wants, the trade w. the Cavs (#2 for #4) makes perfect sense.  Bobcats will pick up an additional 2 draft picks and Cleveland will get their man in Beal.  FTR, I think the Wizards are going to take either MKG or Thomas Robinson...it's going the BPA route. 

People wanna take MKG top 3 to do the same exact things that Moe Harkless is gonna do for your team in the NBA at pick 15-22. Harkless is a much better shooter, more solidly built, has a nice little turnaround jumper, can create his own shot off the dribble and can play the 4 at times......but I guess he's just not a winner, right? Darn.

Originally Posted by Buc Em

People wanna take MKG top 3 to do the same exact things that Moe Harkless is gonna do for your team in the NBA at pick 15-22. Harkless is a much better shooter, more solidly built, has a nice little turnaround jumper, can create his own shot off the dribble and can play the 4 at times......but I guess he's just not a winner, right? Darn.
roll.gif

Originally Posted by Mr Marcus

Don't understand the Barnes hate at all...not saying he'll be a superstar but he will have a solid 10+year career

Of course you wouldn't... You're a UNC fan
laugh.gif

He doesn't do anything exceptionally well.  He's not fast or necessarily quick.  He struggles playing against/scoring against size.  He lacks the ability to create for himself or others. Other than the fact that he does have NBA size and does have an above average BBall IQ I don't see what makes him a lottery pick outside of the fact that he went to UNC.

Even as a Duke fan I can admit there are glaring holes in Austin's game that he needs to address: needs to fix that hitch in his shot, needs to work on his off hand, needs to play under control, cut down on turnovers. But he does have a skill set that allows him to be successful in the NBA and that's the ability to create a shot and has the nuts of an elephant.  Something that is extremely coveted in todays league.

Pistons trade Gordon to Bobcats for Maggette

Posted Jun 26 2012 9:00PM - Updated Jun 26 2012 11:04PM

DETROIT (AP) -- The Detroit Pistons traded guard Ben Gordon and a future first-round draft choice to the Charlotte Bobcats on Tuesday for swingman Corey Maggette, shedding about $15 million in salary.

Gordon averaged 12.5 points last season, including a 45-point outing at Denver in which he tied his own NBA record by making nine 3-pointers without a miss. The NBA's Sixth Man of the Year in 2005 with Chicago spent three disappointing seasons in Detroit, averaging 12.4 points.

By trading him with two years and about $25 million left on his contract, the Pistons saved $15 million, according to a person familiar with the deal who spoke on condition of anonymity because terms had not been announced.

Oh Okay.
eyes.gif

Gordon should've stayed with Chicago... Too good of a player to be stuck on these types of teams (Detroit & Charlotte).
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by Buc Em

Fab Melo worries me a little cuz he seems dumb as a bag of rocks...but I think he'll be alright atleast. Not like there's many great centers in the league to compete against, and he's not going til the end of the 1st anyway. And Waiters will be the same instant offense off the bench guy he was for Cuse. He's damn sure not gonna be the next Wade like some people were saying...but he's too good of a player to be a bust.

Fab Melo being dumb as a bag of rocks isn't debatable.

He's a little lazy, but got pretty motivated this year, so I think he could be a starting center.

Trade talk, analytics and more as draft nears

Thirty-six hours. That's how long NBA teams have to figure out this draft. Most teams were up late on Tuesday, poring over data, finalizing draft boards and prepping from Thursday.

As you can gather, teams are narrowing down their lists ... but few have made actual decisions about who they'll be drafting. Here's the latest:

• We know the real intrigue of the draft begins at No. 2 with the Charlotte Bobcats. Their trade of Corey Maggette for Ben Gordon and a 2013 first rounder from Detroit makes things a little easier if they keep the pick.

I think you can now safely scratch Bradley Beal off the board (his entire advisor team takes a huge sigh of relief). Ditto for Harrison Barnes (another huge exhale).

Michael Kidd-Gilchrist is very much in the mix, however if they keep the pick it still sounds like Thomas Robinson has the slight edge.

• The Bobcats continue to talk to teams about moving down in the draft. The Wizards continue to hope that they don't make such a move.

Why? As we just noted, the Bobcats are likely to select Robinson at No. 2, which means the Wizards' favorite player, Beal would slide to No. 3.

Here's what has Washington worried. The most obvious trade partner for the Bobcats remains the Cavs, who could send them No. 4 and possibly No. 24 in return for No. 2. The Cavs would make the move to get their hands on Beal. The Bobcats would then select Robinson at No. 4, the same player they are likely to take with the No. 2 pick. The Wizards would then have to choose between Barnes and Kidd-Gilchrist.

So it shouldn't come as any surprise that late Tuesday evening, word began to "leak" out of Washington that the Wizards were getting "calls" from a number of teams that are trying to move up to No. 3 to take (drumroll please) ... Robinson.

It's a nice shot across the Bobcats' bow by the Wizards. In essence Wizards GM Ernie Grunfeld is telling Bobcats GM Rich Cho, if you make a deal with the Cavs, don't expect your favorite player, Robinson, to be there at No. 4.

You have to love these games as we get closer and closer to draft night. It reeks of a bluff, but then again, there are a number of teams that like Robinson and the Wizards probably feel like they could nab Barnes a little later in the draft if he's going to be the consolation prize.

• The Cavs are bringing in Washington wing Terrence Ross for a private workout on Wednesday. That's odd for a couple of reasons. One, it's highly doubtful that Ross is seriously in the mix at No. 4. Second, there's no way he's on the board when the Cavs pick again at No. 24.

What's going on? I think the Cavs are still exploring moving up in the draft. But now it sounds like they're also seriously looking at moving down a few spots if they can pick up additional assets. I've been told that's most likely in the 7-10 range, but it's unclear what they could be getting back that would be better than just taking Kidd-Gilchrist, the small forward that currently sits at No. 2 on the Big Board behind Davis. As for Ross, the Cavs better get a pick in the Top 11 if they want him. If Tyler Zeller is off the board, I believe the Bucks are leaning toward Ross at No. 12.

• The Warriors are preparing for a number of different scenarios at No. 7. Depending on how things go on draft night, either Barnes, Andre Drummond, Damian Lillard, Dion Waiters or even Kidd-Gilchrist falls to them.

They like all of the above, but like every other team in the NBA, not everyone agrees on the order. Jerry West, sources say, has Waiters ranked quite high. The owner, Joe Lacob, feels like it might be tough to pass on Drummond if he's there. Bob Meyers, the GM, is a Harrison Barnes fan. Everyone agrees that Kidd-Gilchrist is the guy should he fall. There are also Lillard supports in Golden State.

This is why Mock Drafts are so difficult. How are we supposed to report to you what teams are going to do when they don't know themselves?

• Picks 14, 16, and 18 (all owned by the Rockets now) are seen as mere placeholders by most of the league. No one believes the Rockets will have any of these picks on draft night, making them pretty tough to project. Whether it's Sacramento, Cleveland or someone else, the Rockets are working hard to package the picks together to either move up in the draft or to move out for a great veteran like Dwight Howard, Josh Smith or Pau Gasol.

• Fear not Jazz fans. GM Kevin O'Connor is exploring ways to move up in the draft. They have the Warriors pick in 2013 (top 6 protected), veterans like Paul Millsap, Al Jefferson and Devin Harris, and might even be willing to add in another young player (as long as you don't ask for Derrick Favors or Enes Kanter).

The question is, how high can they go? Their presumed target is Weber State's Lillard. They need a point guard and know him better than any team in the league. But if they could get higher, and get an even better prospect, they would. They like Beal and Kidd-Gilchrist a lot too.

• Advanced analytics are still controversial in NBA circles, especially when used to gauge the draft. Some teams put great value on them, others prefer to go with the old "golden gut" and "eye test" with prospects. Most teams are somewhere in the middle of this spectrum.

For the teams that employ them, each works with different formulas and often come to different conclusions. Sometimes the lists are similar, sometimes they aren't.

Ironically, the more scientific methods don't exactly produce a real consensus or order per se, but you do hear some names consistently as rating excellent, good, so-so or poor.

Our own John Hollinger revealed where most of the players in this draft fit already in his excellent Draft Rater column which ran last week. Hollinger's list was pretty consistent with what other teams are seeing with a few exceptions. Here was the list I've complied from my discussions with GMs and scouts who were willing to share some results.

Rate Excellent Analytically

The numbers all say these five guys should be really good NBA players. Remember, they can't say anything about Sullinger's back or Waiters' issues at Syracuse. They just rank what they saw on the court. These are the usual suspsects at the top of the draft minus Beal and Barnes.

Anthony Davis

Thomas Robinson

Michael Kidd-Gilchrist

Dion Waiters

Jared Sullinger

Rate Good Analytically

This group also looks like they'll be players at the next level, though their numbers suggest more starter quality players. Green and Teague are much higher here than they are on most NBA teams' big boards.

Terrence Jones

John Henson

Quincy Miller

Draymond Green

Andre Drummond

Damian Lillard

Marquis Teague

Kendall Marshall

Rate So-So Analytically

There are some surprises here like two players in our top 5, Beal and Barnes. Jeremy Lamb is a bit of a surprise as well, as are Doron Lamb and Taylor.

Bradley Beal

Harrison Barnes

Royce White

Tyler Zeller

Doron Lamb

Tyshawn Taylor

Perry Jones

Jeremy Lamb

Rated Poorly Analytically

Skip Bayless, who said Rivers might be the second best player in the draft on "First Take yesterday," might not be happy to see this. Ditto for all of those teams that have Harkless and Leonard rising on their draft boards. It doesn't mean teams won't take them, just probably not ones who heavily use analytics.

Austin Rivers

Terrence Ross

Moe Harkless

Meyers Leonard

Arnett Moultrie

Jeff Taylor

@timkawakami NBA source said it's possible Austin Rivers goes to Portland at 6 and likely Barnes goes to GSWs at 7 or to Toronto at 8.

This is why I don't think the Wizards are going to take Barnes (if they stay at #3). It's not a good selection if the guy you take at #3 can be had between #5-#10. I still think it's 1) Beal 2) MKG 3) Robinson.

Originally Posted by AIRJORDAN JB23

Pistons trade Gordon to Bobcats for Maggette

Posted Jun 26 2012 9:00PM - Updated Jun 26 2012 11:04PM

DETROIT (AP) -- The Detroit Pistons traded guard Ben Gordon and a future first-round draft choice to the Charlotte Bobcats on Tuesday for swingman Corey Maggette, shedding about $15 million in salary.

Gordon averaged 12.5 points last season, including a 45-point outing at Denver in which he tied his own NBA record by making nine 3-pointers without a miss. The NBA's Sixth Man of the Year in 2005 with Chicago spent three disappointing seasons in Detroit, averaging 12.4 points.

By trading him with two years and about $25 million left on his contract, the Pistons saved $15 million, according to a person familiar with the deal who spoke on condition of anonymity because terms had not been announced.

Oh Okay.
eyes.gif

Gordon should've stayed with Chicago... Too good of a player to be stuck on these types of teams (Detroit & Charlotte).
ohwell.gif

Smh BG is my guy man, he really need to be on a playoff bound team or a contender asap!

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

Originally Posted by henz0

Originally Posted by franchise3

Barnes = Marvin Williams 2.0?

indifferent.gif

Be for real whats different?  Harrison is a better shooter than he was coming out but other than that what?
That's a little OD, i'm pretty sure barnes will pan out much better than marvin did

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

Originally Posted by franchise3

Barnes = Marvin Williams 2.0?

indifferent.gif

Be for real whats different?  Harrison is a better shooter than he was coming out but other than that what?
That's all that needs to be said, if Williams could shoot I'm sure Hawks fans would be happy with him.
eek.gif
 Since M. Will has been brought up, remember everyone fell in love with him saying he was a key/main piece of that UNC championship run with all his intangibles.. MKG?? 
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

That's all that needs to be said, if Williams could shoot I'm sure Hawks fans would be happy with him.
eek.gif
 Since M. Will has been brought up, remember everyone fell in love with him saying he was a key/main piece of that UNC championship run with all his intangibles.. MKG?? 
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
Just stop, please. Marvin Williams was UNC's sixth man they had Felton, May, McCants, all contribute more than him. The only player who (arguably) contributed more than MKG on Kentucky during their title run was Anthony Davis.
30t6p3b.gif

Beal is gonna go #2 this draft and be the Marvin Williams in that MKG/Barnes are gonna be the Deron Williams/ Chris Paul of SFs
wink.gif
laugh.gif

I dont get it, I just dont get it. %%@ makes Draymond Green a 1st round NBA player? and %%@ makes the Pacers think they want him in the 1st round?

I'm really upset over this

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

This is why I don't think the Wizards are going to take Barnes (if they stay at #3). It's not a good selection if the guy you take at #3 can be had between #5-#10. I still think it's 1) Beal 2) MKG 3) Robinson.

I understnad the wiz want Beal, I mean MKG would be a good pick, but that offense is gonna be
sick.gif
but why not take T.Rob? I mean doesn't okafor contract come off the books after next season ? Slide Nene to the 5 and let Rob at the 4?

Back
Top Bottom