Official 2012 US Open Thread ( Vol. Kimmy's Last Run)

^
laugh.gif
, my bad. You'd be surprised at how many people don't realize this occurrence in the WTA.

We get lots of WTA events on Eurosport, plus I gotta keep my tabs on Ana.

Watching them have a discussion on grunting and a possible new grunting rule 
laugh.gif
For some reason I didn't watch the Australian Open this year and missed the Azarenka - Sharapova final.  Must've been painful for people's ears.  

I don't mind it unless both players playing are loud.  The players don't really go to the chair umpires and complain about it being a distraction.

this is all u heard: *ball strike* ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

*ball strike*ooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

They can't just ban it. They have to start at a lower level at the tennis academies to really stop or get rid of that habit.

But really, my issue isn't with the grunting... I have no problem with that. It's the shrieking... the pitch of the shrieking that irritates everyone.

why do people hate grunting if they have an issue they should watch Golf no noise there.

Azarenka winning
pimp.gif
her grunt isn't even loud yet people hating. 

Lisicki had too many unforced errors she could have won.

With Rafa out, would like to see Tsonga or Murray win it. I suppose Fed would be alright also. Anybody but Djoker, please.
Andy unlucky to draw by far the toughest quarterfinals match.

Can't help but feel Lisicki lost it, more than Kerber won it. Kerber is way too negatively demonstrative and overly expressive with her body language for my taste. Sabine cost herself clearly with unforced errors, she needs to learn how and be coached up specifically with toning down her aggression and power at times. Her judgment was poor today. You can't always hit the strong, highlight reel winner. 

Speaking of Lisicki's legs, I'm convinced the girl would be better in short-yardage situations than Brandon Jacobs (yes, Jerry Rice). 

^ Sabine most-definitely lost that one. Up 5-3, serving for the match and with such a strong serve as her, you absolutely need to close that out.  Kerber was also having her mental issues too!

Yeah, she had 50 unforced errors vs Kerber's 13, but she also had 57 winners, indicating that she was playing A LOT more aggressive.  Should have done a lot better there, no doubt. 

x1000.jpg

x1000.jpg

x1000.jpg

x1000.jpg

Happy 4th all!

Federer into the Semis.
pimp.gif

Going to be a good match against Djoker. Hopefully he can pull out a win this time around.

Disappointed that Sabine is out, but she had a good run and the better player won.
They should have just cancelled the QF matches for both Fed and Nole. Pure domination.

I believe this is their first meeting on grass court so it should be interesting. I have a feeling Djoker will win in 4, but will obviously be rooting for Fed.

And on the subject of females with great legs, Elena Dementieva is still my GOAT.

Originally Posted by MFr3shM

why do people hate grunting if they have an issue they should watch Golf no noise there.

Azarenka winning
pimp.gif
her grunt isn't even loud yet people hating. 

Lisicki had too many unforced errors she could have won
laugh.gif
.  Serena has a great shot at winning.  Djokovic has been out a hot streak and should be the favorite to win it all two years in a row.  Hope Roger upsets him 
nerd.gif
pimp.gif

I think people have an issue b/c prior to Monica Seles there was zero grunting. and those were from all time greats.

what does grunting do for you when striking a tennis ball? Honestly I want to know. why dont baseball players Grunt when swinging a bat? *shrugs*

I think its kinda unnecessary. especially the long shrieks after the theyre into their follow thru.

^ Actually, it's not the "grunting", but each time you hit the ball (tennis or baseball or whatever), you need to exhale. It's just a natural reaction. Some players just take it to another level.

You can hear it in baseball too. I've heard it in the home-run derby when they mic-up players. Everytime they swing the bat, you can hear them exhale right after contact. I've heard it before in previous years and not just from one player. Chang used to go "shhh" after he hit his shots... it's just the way he exhales.

Is it necessary? "Grunting"... no... but exhaling... yes. The girls just exhale in the form of a shrieking-grunt, while guys like Rafa or whoever go "ahhhh"... just different ways of exhaling. 
Anyway, great match by Andy there.  After the 1st and towards the end of the 2nd, I didn't think he had it in him, but Daveeed got tight when he had the opp. to serve out the 2nd.  He's a great player (as we saw today with some ridic. court-coverage), but he still needs to work on closing-out sets against the big-guys. We've seen it before in Masters tourneys too.  

Lots of pics today as the Royal Box was packed with VIPs.

x1000.jpg

1000x.jpg

1000x.jpg

x1000.jpg

610x.jpg

610x.jpg

610x.jpg

20 Slams right there...
pimp.gif

And yes, that's Piven in the background.
laugh.gif

610x.jpg

610x.jpg

Scud

x610.jpg

The Rocket. 
smokin.gif

Richard Krajicek in the back.

610x.jpg

Roy Hodgson.

610x.jpg

Hello Kim.

x610.jpg

LOL I know about exhaling when you exert energy.

but the shreiking and the 5 second long yells are so far fetched.

I bet money if USTA put in legislation where players lose points, games, sets and then matches, due to excessive noise all that mess would cease.

^ Haha, of course. Just wasn't sure. But you get my point.

Yeah, I agree... It's irritating as hell, but it's hard to govern it. What constitutes as "acceptable grunting"? Would they need a decibel meter or something to see if it goes over the limit? I'm sure the US networks have argued over this endlessly, but ultimately, I don't know how they can "ban" it. Obviously Maria's and Vika's are over the limit IMO, but how about Rafa's, which is relatively loud, but not as high-pitched? It's tricky, no doubt, which is why I think they need to get rid of this habit at the junior-levels.

Strange thing is that I've heard Maria go completely silent when she was down in a match. She was so focused on her shots that her shrieking went away for a few games. Then as she started to get back into the match, the shrieking came back. Very odd.
Hmmmm.

1000x.jpg

boxers do that same thing such as when they throw their punches and yell like Devon Alexander it doesn't bother me the viewer.

i want Azarenka to beat Serena.

and i want Murray and Djokovic to lose i don't like them.

Interesting how, on paper, the winners of Djo/Fed & Serena/Vika will likely go on to win in the final. On paper. So essentially the "finals" will be in the semi's. Haha, who really knows. Hey, I hope I'm wrong.

Never really paid attention to Radwanska. I was surprised to see that she was seeded 3rd in the tournament.

Serena's serve has just been sick... Credit to Vika for continuing to fight...

Aga has no chance in the final.
ohwell.gif

Back
Top Bottom