Official 2013 Boxing Thread: Year is over, please lock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Too soon for Broner to headline a PPV unless his Worldstarhiphop deal or whatever is helping him.
Agreed Broner is not ready for PPV yet. This is just as crazy as Dawson vs BHop 1 on PPV

Too many PPV fight in the next few months (Mayweather vs Canelo, Bradley vs Marquez, and Pacquiao vs Rios) this will probably be the fight that fans skip.

Didn't Golden Boy say that they were trying to get fights back on Network TV??? This would be the perfect fight to put on CBS or...

Broner vs the Matthysse vs Garcia winner on CBS

Rumor mill has Paul Malignaggi v Jesus Soto Karats on the same card as Broner v Maidana

I'd be stunned if Ghost lost that fight.

November 9th
pimp.gif
If Thurman makes it to the final bell (which I think he will) he will get the nod.
I agree. Especially after his last fight. Keith showed he isn't a really polished fighter, and that's what it takes to beat Guerrero.
Ghost gonna beat Thurman
I see people are still underestimating Keith Thurman. One time wins by stoppage or UD easy. Floyd beat the snot out of Robert. Thurman is going to finish him off.

I'd be stunned if Ghost lost that fight.

November 9th :pimp:

If Thurman makes it to the final bell (which I think he will) he will get the nod.

I agree. Especially after his last fight. Keith showed he isn't a really polished fighter, and that's what it takes to beat Guerrero.

Ghost gonna beat Thurman

I see people are still underestimating Keith Thurman. One time wins by stoppage or UD easy. Floyd beat the snot out of Robert. Thurman is going to finish him off.

Not underestimating him at all. Robert Guerrero is the better all around fighter, but he's not smart enough to exploit Thurman's weaknesses. This fight was set up for Thurman to win.

Last edited:
Not underestimating him at all. Robert Guerrero is the better all around fighter, but he's not smart enough to exploit Thurman's weaknesses. This fight was set up for Thurman to win.
I wouldn't say Guerrero is the better all around fighter. Thurman is faster, more powerful and has better movement. Guerrero boxes and uses his jab better. With all that said, Guerrero is there to be hit and he is clearly not the same fighter now that he was in the lower divisions. Thurman is not Berto or Aydin. Guerrero won't just walkthrough Thurman's punches or manhandle him because Thurman is the bigger man. I see Guerrero getting put to sleep in this fight.

I wouldn't say Guerrero is the better all around fighter. Thurman is faster, more powerful and has better movement. Guerrero boxes and uses his jab better. With all that said, Guerrero is there to be hit and he is clearly not the same fighter now that he was in the lower divisions. Thurman is not Berto or Aydin. Guerrero won't just walkthrough Thurman's punches or manhandle him because Thurman is the bigger man. I see Guerrero getting put to sleep in this fight.

I mean if you consider those factors along with more experience for Guerrero. I guess I meant to say better overall. But if you watch Thurman closely, it's almost as if he moves his feet just for the sake of moving, like there's no timing or tact to it. Guerrero can make the final bell, but his face is going to be battered.

Guerrero vs Thurman could be a very interesting fight.  If Ghost can establish his kind of fight, closing the gap and fighting inside, I believe he will walk away with a decision.  Keith better move his feet all night because Robert will try and drag him into a war and I don't think he wants that.

Golovkin - Stevens is not going to happen, K2 offer Main Events 300k for the fight. How much money does Curtis Stevens and Main Events want?

I mean if you consider those factors along with more experience for Guerrero. I guess I meant to say better overall. But if you watch Thurman closely, it's almost as if he moves his feet just for the sake of moving, like there's no timing or tact to it. Guerrero can make the final bell, but his face is going to be battered.
Yeah I can see Guerrero making it very tough fight but he doesn't have the power necessary to deter Thurman from doing what he wants to do. Thurman moves well and has power at all ranges. Guerrero won't have any advantages inclose like he did against Aydin and Berto. Thurman throws a great short uppercut with power. He also touches the body. IMO the only way Guerrero wins this fight is if he boxes Thurman from the outside.

Golovkin - Stevens is not going to happen, K2 offer Main Events 300k for the fight. How much money does Curtis Stevens and Main Events want?

That's peanuts when you really think about.

Two KO artists like them fighting for less than 1.5 a piece?

I wouldn't take it if I was Curtis either. Like I said earlier, he needs to keep cleaning up the Middleweight/Jr. Middleweight ranks of pretenders for like 2/3 more fights. Then fight GGG in the fall of next year.

I'm tryna see GGG vs anybody

I hope Maidana punishes Broner to the body so we can really see how he reacts to being tested with a guy who comes straight forward. Maidana defense is very suspect though and he'll be at a speed disadvantage. Broner goofed in the Paulie fight yet still get a PPV, they really tryna groom him and I kinda like him but I don't see the greatness in him you saw in Floyd, Oscar etc at the same age.

His defense has been a little better with RG. Not that much but not as atrocious as it was before + he's not pulling his damn trunks up every 10 seconds :lol:

If Broner gets him to the body, he'll walk all over him.

That's peanuts when you really think about.

Two KO artists like them fighting for less than 1.5 a piece?

I wouldn't take it if I was Curtis either. Like I said earlier, he needs to keep cleaning up the Middleweight/Jr. Middleweight ranks of pretenders for like 2/3 more fights. Then fight GGG in the fall of next year.
he wont get more then 300k fighting anyone else so why wouldn't he take it? K2 gave Gabriel Rosado 200k to fight GGG.

Chavez Jr. vs. Vera is hold after Chavez reportedly suffered a cut above his eye during sparring.
Or perhaps it's because he's FAT and can't make the weight.
laugh.gif

Screen_Shot_2013-07-07_at_2.59.53_AM_medium.png

Just copped my Alvarado vs. Provodnikov tickets! :smokin

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/i...-junior-welterweight-title-ruslan-provodnikov

Interim junior welterweight titlist Mike Alvarado and contender Ruslan Provodnikov have been regular participants in action-packed fights. In fact, each of their bouts so far in 2013, just a couple of weeks apart, were both fiercely contested barnburners that immediately jumped to the forefront for fight of the year honors.

Now Alvarado and Provodnikov are set to fight each other in a fight most expect will take its place among the top contenders for fight of the year.

Alvarado will defend his belt against Russia's Provodnikov on Oct. 19 (HBO) at the 1st Bank Center in Broomfield, Colo., right outside of Alvarado's hometown of Denver, after he came to terms with promoter Top Rank on Thursday. Provodnikov and his promoter, Artie Pelullo of Banner Promotions, finalized their end of the deal a couple of weeks ago.

"I'm very happy this fight is finally happening," Provodnikov told ESPN.com through translator and manager Vadim Kornilov. "I've been waiting for this for a long time and I think will be an unforgettable fight for the fans."

If the fight is anything like their previous bouts, Alvarado-Provodnikov will be unforgettable.

On March 16, Provodnikov (22-2, 15 KOs), 29, lost a close fight challenging welterweight titlist Timothy Bradley Jr. in Carson, Calif. Although Provodnikov lost the decision, he badly hurt Bradley and nearly knocked him out in the first and second rounds, and then knocked him down in the 12th round, in what was a helacious slugfest.

Two weeks later in Las Vegas, Alvarado (34-1, 23 KOs), 33, exacted revenge against Brandon Rios, winning an epic battle by unanimous decision and the vacant interim 140-pound belt. Rios had stopped Alvarado in the seventh round in their previous fight in October in one of the most action-packed brawls of 2012.

"We finally concluded the negotiation with Mike and everybody is happy," Top Rank vice president Carl Moretti said. "I don't think there's going to be a lot of defense in this fight. We had to go through the whole process with Mike but we got it done [Thursday) morning and we're as excited about the fight as any boxing fan.

"This is clearly one of the best fights we could provide to the public. These two guys know how to fight one way. They don't take a backward step and their fights are always exciting."

Provodnikov said he had no issue with going to Alvarado's hometown to face him.

"I'm very used to that," Provodnikov said. "The only thing we have to make sure of is that I am prepared well to fight in the altitude and make sure it does not affect me. I think this is going to be one of the greatest fights. Alvarado is the perfect style that I really like to fight."

Pelullo said part of his agreement with Top Rank calls for the judges and referee to be neutral, not from Colorado.

Provodnikov said he watched both of Alvarado's slugfests with Rios and had designs on fighting either of them. Rios, despite losing the rematch to Alvarado, landed a Nov. 23 fight with Manny Pacquiao.

That left Provodnikov to fight Alvarado in a fight that HBO executives exerted significant pressure on Top Rank to make.

"As soon as I saw the first fight between Alvarado and Rios, I wanted to fight either of these guys," Provodnikov said. "I want to win a world title but I also want to do it for the fans. I would never avoid any fighter. This will be one of the toughest fights for me and for Alvarado. But he is the perfect opponent. It can be one of the greatest fights ever. It can be the fight of the year."

Said Henry Delgado, Alvarado's trainer and manager: "Provodnikov is a very capable opponent and just like Mike, he puts on exciting fights. You have two immovable objects, so it will come down to which guy can make the adjustments. They both have heart, so it will be who can make the better adjustments and be smart. Provodnikov is a tough guy, so you have to stay busy. We will do that and we will outwork him. That's the key."

Provodnikov will train with Freddie Roach at his Wild Card Boxing Club in Hollywood, Calif., until early October. Then, when Roach goes to Orlando, Fla., to be with one of his other fighters, junior middleweight star Miguel Cotto, for his Oct. 5 fight, Provodnikov and an assistant trainer will go to Denver for the final two weeks of preparation at altitude.

Once Cotto's fight is over, Roach will head to the Philippines to train Pacquiao for the Rios fight, but Kornilov said Roach would come back to the United States to work Provodnikov's corner on fight night.

Pelullo said Provodnikov would arrive in Los Angeles on Monday to begin training.

"I'm very excited about the fight and glad that [Top Rank chairman Bob Arum] was able to close the deal with Alvarado," Pelullo said. "I think it's a great fight for boxing. It's what we need. Ruslan was very close to beating Bradley. We think he can win the fight. We know it's going to be an exciting fight no matter what happens."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom