Official 2013 Boxing Thread: Year is over, please lock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've said this before and most people might think I'm nuts, but I think Erislandy Lara has the best shot at beating Mayweather. But it will never happen.

lol really you name a bunch of no name fighters who were journeymen besides Cotto and Williams.   Bob Arum is the one who prevented Cotto and Mayweather fighting  earlier in their careers. The whole pac man debate is over.  He didn't want to take the drug test because he said he was scared of needles.  lol yet hes taking blood tests for his fight vs Rios.  Some one posted the video a couple weeks ago about how they are hypocrites about the blood tests.   lol and Mayweather didn't run from Paul Williams.  I'm not not even gonna speak on the Fretis, Tszyu or Casamayor :lol:   You really have to hate Floyd to think something like that.  
yeah but when those fights could of been made those fighters were the best available. But he chose to take easier fights. the blood testing is a bunch of b.s if he wanted the fight it would have happen period!

trust me my man i love boxing, i think floyd is a good fighter. I hate the way he fights but nonetheless you cant knock him because he has skills. What i hate is when he trys to walk his little baby nuts saying he is the best of all time. When he would have at least 5 to 6 loses if he fought in the 80's or early 90's. he would get absolutely worked by hearns or leonard. he benefits from not having any great fighters in there prime, in his era.

just imagine leonard calling himself the greatest after dodging hearns, duran and hagler.

Last edited:
Trout and Mayweather are Apples and Oranges though...
True but Mayweather's defense is superior to Trout's even at the age of 36.    I feel like it would be a better fight in 2 years when Mayweather is 38 and has 1 or 2 more fights left on his Showtime deal. Canelo would be 24 with a little bit more experience and by then he would of had time to get his conditioning better.    If he gets gassed early and takes rds off like he did vs Trout it's gonna be become a boring lopsided victory for Floyd.    During a couple rds vs Trout he only landed like 5 to 10 punches for the rd.
sick.gif
   No way is that gonna be a enough vs Floyd.  He will get picked apart then go into a shell like Mosley and Guerrero did. 

Mayweather wins the fight.

Next opponent. "He can beat Floyd.

Same story.

Everyone just wants to see him lose. If he would ever lose and get k'OD..

Hes still a GREAT fighter. Deal with it

IMHO NOBODY LEFT CAN BEAT FLOYD. THE BEST CHANCE OF BEATING HIM WOULD BE ADRIEN BRONER BUT I DONT SEE THAT FIGHT HAPPENING.

Trout and Mayweather are Apples and Oranges though...

True but Mayweather's defense is superior to Trout's even at the age of 36.    I feel like it would be a better fight in 2 years when Mayweather is 38 and has 1 or 2 more fights left on his Showtime deal. Canelo would be 24 with a little bit more experience and by then he would of had time to get his conditioning better.    If he gets gassed early and takes rds off like he did vs Trout it's gonna be become a boring lopsided victory for Floyd.    During a couple rds vs Trout he only landed like 5 to 10 punches for the rd.:x    No way is that gonna be a enough vs Floyd.  He will get picked apart then go into a shell like Mosley and Guerrero did. 

Good points, but I said that in regards to Canelo not being able to bully Trout against the ropes. If Cotto and Ortiz had some mild success with it, I don't see how Canelo whos stronger and bigger wont be able to.

Last edited:
yeah but when those fights could of been made those fighters were the best available. But he chose to take easier fights. the blood testing is a bunch of b.s if he wanted the fight it would have happen period!

trust me my man i love boxing, i think floyd is a good fighter. I hate the way he fights but nonetheless you cant knock him because he has skills. What i hate is when he trys to walk his little baby nuts saying he is the best of all time. When he would have at least 5 to 6 loses if he fought in the 80's or early 90's. he would get absolutely worked by hearns or leonard. he benefits from not having in great fighters in there prime in his era.

just imagine leonard calling himself the greatest after dogging hearns, duran and hagler.
Now I see your point and you have a valid one.   I would of loved to see Mayweather vs Trinidad, Whitaker, Hearns, Leonard, Duran, even Oscar in his prime.    I don't know how these fights would of turned out but they would be great to see.     

It's not just Mayweather though.  No one in boxing fights the best of the best every fight anymore.    That's why boxing has fallen off with the casual boxing fans.  We have 10 or more belts in each weight division and the sanctioning bodies for the titles won't let you hold another title. An example of this.   The WBC is stripping Canelo of his title if he doesn't drop the WBA title that he won from Trout. lol    The 2 biggest promoters in boxing Golden Boy and Top Rank won't work with each other.  Golden Boy only fights on Showtime now and Top Rank only fights on HBO.   Now VADA drug testing looks like it's only gonna work with Top Rank while Golden Boy is only gonna work with USADA.   lol

Just think if they're was only 1 title for each weight class, one governing body that holds the refs, and judges accountable and mandatory blood and urine tests by the same agency for every fight.     Boxing would be a lot better off but sadly we will never get to see this. 

Now I see your point and you have a valid one.   I would of loved to see Mayweather vs Trinidad, Whitaker, Hearns, Leonard, Duran, even Oscar in his prime.    I don't know how these fights would of turned out but they would be great to see.     

It's not just Mayweather though.  No one in boxing fights the best of the best every fight anymore.    That's why boxing has fallen off with the casual boxing fans.  We have 10 or more belts in each weight division and the sanctioning bodies for the titles won't let you hold another title. An example of this.   The WBC is stripping Canelo of his title if he doesn't drop the WBA title that he won from Trout. lol    The 2 biggest promoters in boxing Golden Boy and Top Rank won't work with each other.  Golden Boy only fights on Showtime now and Top Rank only fights on HBO.   Now VADA drug testing looks like it's only gonna work with Top Rank while Golden Boy is only gonna work with USADA.   lol

Just think if they're was only 1 title for each weight class, one governing body that holds the refs, and judges accountable and mandatory blood and urine tests by the same agency for every fight.     Boxing would be a lot better off but sadly we will never get to see this. 

couldn't have said it better

Good points, but I said that in regards to Canelo not being able to bully Trout against the ropes. If Cotto and Ortiz had some mild success with it, I don't see how Canelo whos stronger and bigger wont be able to.
You have a point.  I will say this though it didn't help Ortiz much because he was getting pissed that he couldn't land clean on Floyd and he lost his cool with the head butt.   Canelo could make it happen but his conditioning is gonna have to be much better if he's gonna want to keep the pressure on Floyd for the entire fight.  I can see him having some success in the first couple of rds but after that I don't know.   We all know how Floyd is gonna be come Sept 14.  The question  is how is Canelo's condition  gonna hold up?     That's gonna be the key for Canelo if he wants to have any real shot at winning.    The 2 main things he needs to work on is his conditioning and his jab.   Cotto had a lot of success vs May because of the jab. 

Last edited:
I just rewatched Castillo/FMJ 1, and I scored it 114-112 Mayweather. Close fight but I don't see how people say it was a robbery.

Last edited:
I just rewatched Castillo/FMJ 1, and I scored it 114-112 Mayweather. Close fight but I don't see how people say it was a robbery.
I agree I scored the fight the same. The  people who are saying he lost that fight just don't like him.   Floyd has more haters then fans who buy his fights.   They buy the fights  hoping they're gonna get to see him lose.

I agree I scored the fight the same. The  people who are saying he lost that fight just don't like him.   Floyd has more haters then fans who buy his fights.   They buy the fights  hoping they're gonna get to see him lose.

But people were saying that way before Mayweather was a household name and way before this "Money Mayweather" persona that people hate. So there wasn't really any bias. The decision was controversial which is why they had a rematch. I really dont have an opinion I think I watched like 3 minutes of the fight ever. Lol

Last edited:
Man i hate the talking heads on ESPN. The one time they discuss boxing on around the horn and on PTI they STILL keep saying that this isn't the big fight...that everyone wants to see Manny vs Floyd and that this fight really isn't that big of a deal.

I think every boxing fan wants to see this fight. And if manny bounces back against rios then we can discuss the possibilities of this happening. But for now this is the biggest fight possible in my eyes that could have been made in boxing.

It will be interesting to see how floyds punches effect canelo. People keep saying if canelo will let his hands go....well floyd is probably the best counter puncher fighting (JMM might be better), but if canelo can walk through floyds shots and not get detered and keep the pressure on...oooohhhhh baby this will be a fight. But I think floyd will be banking on canelo being tired in the middle rounds...which im sure fighting at 152 will do to him. And if he survives early he will be able to pick up all the middle rounds and win a UD 8-4 or 9-3 ish.

I truly don't see how you guys scored that fight a two point decision for PBF.

I visit this thread less frequently because I openly confess my boxing knowledge has dwindled in the past two years in favor of MMA.

However, the first PBF fight with JLC was close but a JLC victory nonetheless. I posted in here previously with my scoring breakdown (rounds). Even swayed another NT'ers opinion in favor of JLC. PBF received a gift decision (champion) in that fight.

Moot point (partially) because PBF won convincingly in the rematch. But the 0 next to PBF's name is with an asterisk. Minor blemish.

You just can't make anyone happy nowadays :lol:

Floyd makes the best fight out there and people still find something to complain about.

We are getting the 2 top fighters in their respective division. How often does that happen?

I can't believe dudes are really complaining about a catch weight at 152 . Canelo is gonna be bloated up to at least 165 on fight night and Floyd is gonna be at 152. I highly doubt y'all will be complaining when Saul has a 13+ pound advantage on fight night . He loves to bulk up the night before a fight to increase his great power advantage even more but if doesn't get that KO in the first four rounds he's done unfortunately his conditioning is his biggest weakness

I don't get why people say the fight should take place next year or in 2 more years. Canelo can barely make 154 because he already re-hydrates up to 170 pounds on fight night. So the 152 catch weight won't be an issue as Canelo will re-hydrate & I heard Skip Bayless say that it will benefit Floyd bc Canelo will have to stay at 152 into the day of the fight ESPN is so clueless when covering Boxing they have all the resources in the world to research the terms of the fight & they don't. Who knows if Canelo will be fighting at 154 any much longer this is the right time for both of them to fight.

Plus, September 16 is Mexican independence day NOT May 5 (Cinco de Mayo) which is when people wanted the fight to take place. Really though if Floyd fought Alexander or Khan he would win so easily not even worth watching & people would be upset.

Canelo will NOT win he takes too many rounds off because of poor conditioning, however his defense has improved, but that will be nullified since he's never seen someone like Floyd. Sure Canelo is strong but he couldn't finish off Trout and he couldn't even knockdown an old Mosley. Age will not be a factor for Floyd as much as people believe "father time" Floyd's skills outweigh Canelo's.

I saw the Trout/Canelo fight, but wasn't Canelo taking "rounds off" because of the open scoring? He knew he was winning, by a large margin at that, would it be safe to say he was just coasting? I'm sure he could of knocked Trout out if he wanted to or gave a bit more effort. I mean he did knock him down with a jab I believe and hitting him with hard shots the whole night. Haven't really seen Canelo's other fights, just highlights, did he take rounds off in those other fights too? Just wondering

You can't be serious.  lol Mayweather was a underdog in a lot of his fights before he beat Oscar and who did he run from?    Also your saying Diego Corrales, Arturo Gatti, Zab Judah, Oscar De La Hoya, Ricky Hatton, Juan Manuel Marquez, and Miguel Cotto aren't hall of fame fighters?  That's a way better resume then Canelo who has only beaten Trout lol.     I think Canelo has a better chance then Guerrero did but that's not saying much.  Canelo has a punchers chance but that's it.   I've saw Canelo get hit clean from Josesito Lopez and Alfonso Gomez.    Mayweather has way more speed and better accuracy over both of those fighters.  

I'm not defending Canelo per say, but how long do ya'll expect his resume to be at 22? Do you want him fighting these dudes mentioned at 19-21 year old? For real? This will be Canelo's real first opportunity.

Mayweather didn't fight Corrales until he was like 24 and that was his biggest competition to that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom