Official 2013 Boxing Thread: Year is over, please lock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
canelo vs. mayweather in september will do atleast 1.5.

if it happens though.

line up sergio martinez next..save canelo for september 2014.

Guys who follow younger boxers/less known guys, who do you see as a future superstar?

^^^ along with Canelo and Broner obviously. I don't think Ward has the "star power" even though he will probably be P4P #1 when Mayweather hangs it up. He's too boring to most and he shot himself in the foot by not fighting outside of Oakland. He should've at least tried Vegas a couple of times for some exposure. Plus he's pushing 30.

Last edited:
What about Danny Garcia? I like his style

He's good but not great. Put him against stiffer competition and he won't be able to hang like Alexander, Bradley, Berto, Peterson, etc. him vs Matthysee is a tossup because theyre both the same calibur fighter. I still think Khan would've beaten him if he didn't try to trade power shots with him. :smh:

Last edited:
he beats all those guys though..bradley being the toughest.

I respectfully disagree. Garcia vs Alexander and Matthysse will be closest. The others win decisively. I didn't mention Alvarado or Rios because I think they are a step below Garcia and will lose to him.

ward is around the same age floyd was when be became a "superstar".

Right, and we can say Marquez became a superstar at an even later age. But who can Ward fight to put himself out there like that? The biggest name thats plausible is Chavez Jr, but even that's not enough. Floyd Mayweather fought De La Hoya and his polarizing personality helped as well. Ward doesnt do anything along the lines of throwing money around and trash talking his opponents.

Last edited:
sergio martinez didnt even get an HBO fight till he was like 34 too i think

bernarnd hopkins may have been around 32 when people started calling him a star

Right, and we can say Marquez became a superstar at an even later age. But who can Ward fight to put himself out there like that? The biggest name thats plausible is Chavez Jr, but even that's not enough. Floyd Mayweather fought De La Hoya and his polarizing personality helped as well. Ward doesnt do anything along the lines of throwing money around and trash talking his opponents.
beating andre direll would help , but i think a cinco de mayo fight with chavez would be his best bet

I'm pretty sure Gunna mentioned Amir because of the potential payday and sporting event, not necessarily because of it being a challenge.

Personally, Amir is only fun to watch get KOd, but English boxing fans are always fun at matches.

Floyd will probably never get close to sniffing another 2.0 million PPV buys again. Even if he fights Canelo sometime in the next 30 months. When he fought JMM, that only did 1.1 views. Guerrero fight most likely won't come too close to that, he's not a true Mexican boxer.

The only way he sniffs that PPV buy rate is if he lets Manny have a shot at him. But we all know where that stands.

Who else other than Manny and Money get PPVs anyways these days? No heavyweights like days past, unless the Klitschko brothers count since theyre on Epix. Ward is a monster in terms of P4P race, but he's never even fought on PPV. Maybe if JMM fought another Mexican, but even that seems unlikely.
Canelo vs Mayweather will do more then 1.5 million buddy. You do not know what you are talking about.

sergio martinez didnt even get an HBO fight till he was like 34 too i think
bernarnd hopkins may have been around 32 when people started calling him a star

Martinez at his best was not really a superstar. He didn't make all that much money nor was he really mainstream. I am referring to the Martinez of the last 2-3 years.

Bernard Hopkins was the first person to beat Tito Trinidad and the very first to stop both Trinidad and De La Hoya. But he was never really a superstar. He just became well known and respected. He was not doing blockbuster numbers.

beating andre direll would help , but i think a cinco de mayo fight with chavez would be his best bet

Dirrell vs Ward is only intriguing from a boxing fans perspective. Even then Dirrell is the most boring athletically gifted talent I can possibly think of.

for some reason andre dirrell got me remembering curtis stevens ....dude use to be in papoose

video's if i remember correctly...dude was hilarious

Canelo vs Mayweather will do more then 1.5 million buddy. You do not know what you are talking about.

1.5, maybe. I'm talking about 2 million buys. No one is sniffing that unless it's Manny/Money. I may change that based on how well Guerrero/Mayweather does, but they pimped the hell out of this fight. CBS Sports Network was non-stop Floyd/Guerrero all week. They spent a pretty penny promoting this fight, and I'm not sure how many PPV buys it'll do. It'll do better than something like Pac/Clottey, but I can see it doing sub 1.0 buys.

Besides those who you mentioned. Quillen, GGG, Martinez, and Chavez Jr can mix it up to do big numbers in the next couple years.

Other than Chavez Jr, I don't really think people are ready to pay money to see him fight. Chavez Jr. can carry that torch for a little bit, but Martinez just got beat last month (despite what the records show), and he's on the down-slope of his career. GGG and Quillen? Unless those guys are fighting a Cnelo or a JCC Jr., I don't see either being draws either. Quillen especially.

As for Ward, as Frank mentioned, there's no one out there for him to fight. He destroyed the division in like two years. :lol: .That was the strength and the weakness of that tournament. Unless the boys at 160 start moving up (plausible), there really isn't anyone for Ward to fight. Floyd was catapulted into super-stardom with that DLH fight.

Even when JCC Jr. and Martinez hooked up, that only did 475,000. Not saying every fight has to be 1.0 buys, but just saying that there doesn't seem to be anyone else that can carry PPVs right now.

Maybe it's just me missing the early days of boxing for me when I'd get to watch Tyson, Holyfield, and Lennox all on PPV. I miss heavyweight PPVs. noawadys all we get is Chris Arreola, Tyson Fury, David fricking Haye, and the pretty-good Bermane out there. And the Klithschko's just do a janitorial clinic on the entire division.

With the increase in price of PPVs (justifiable because of inflation), the lack of names, and the rise of internet streaming, I just am uneasy saying that there's much of a future for PPV boxing when Floyd and Manny hang em up for good.

I just don't see JCC Jr. being DLH (or even hid dad), or Andre Ward to be as popular as RJJ, and RJJ didn't even generate the HUGE PPV buys.

I don't know, maybe I'm just off.

I respectfully disagree. Garcia vs Alexander and Matthysse will be closest. The others win decisively. I didn't mention Alvarado or Rios because I think they are a step below Garcia and will lose to him.

See this is where I disagree about Danny.

Danny has as far as I know, an inexperienced chin. Alvarado and Rios have been in wars with one another, and have shown they can take the shots. Each time we see Garcia get touched it, it leaves doubt in my mind. Even Zab caught him a few times where it made me wonder if a stronger puncher, a better boxer would've been able to hurt Danny.

Lucas VS Garcia is something I really want to see. I want to see Lucas test his chin.

But you have to consider this...HBO pretty much has a monopoly on the Middleweight Division, they have every big Middleweight under their umbrella except for Quillen. So they are going to promote the crap out of GGG. They really dont have many other tricks up their sleeves to save them as far as boxing. I'm not saying that the promotion will automatically make GGG a household name, but that along with his fight style can garner a great deal of interest.

Last edited:
zab judah was testing the hell out of garcias chin in the last 3 rounds..he can take a punch.

See this is where I disagree about Danny.

Danny has as far as I know, an inexperienced chin. Alvarado and Rios have been in wars with one another, and have shown they can take the shots. Each time we see Garcia get touched it, it leaves doubt in my mind. Even Zab caught him a few times where it made me wonder if a stronger puncher, a better boxer would've been able to hurt Danny.

Lucas VS Garcia is something I really want to see. I want to see Lucas test his chin.

Rios and Alvarado can probably take a punch better than Garcia, but all around Garcia is a better fighter. By no means is Garcia a slouch in the chin department either.

Last edited:
But you have to consider this...HBO pretty much has a monopoly on the Middleweight Division, they have every big Middleweight under their umbrella except for Quillen. So they are going to promote the crap out of GGG. They really dont have many other tricks up their sleeves to save them as far as boxing. I'm not saying that the promotion will automatically make GGG a household name, but that along with his fight style can garner a great deal of interest.

I'm in love with GGG as a future player at HBO as anyone, but I just don't see him being a PPV guy. He is absolutely an exciting fighter because of his style. He has elite punching power, he's a really good boxer, and he can get hit. Recipe for success. But when was the last time we seen someone from Europe really capture the scene?

Hatton and Joe Calzaghe were both great draws for GB, and Hatton had a few good paydays, but that's moreso because of who he was fighting, and not because who he was.

On top of that, GGG is from a country that most Americans didn't believe is a country before Borat. I just have a hard time thinking American fans will fall in love with him.

They fell in love with Manny because he was an extremely exciting type of fighter, and his chin was suspect when he first hit the scene.

Vitali hit big because of Lennox, but never came close to itching that kind of fame after that fight.

JCC Jr. I can see being a much bigger draw for HBO. Him and Andre Ward would be the posterboys for HBO above GGG, IMO.

Unless GGG can destroy his division and move up to Super Middle, I don't see him being nearly as popular as Hatton or Calzaghe were in their prime.

Danny is absolutely the better boxer of the three guys, but I want to see him take some shots from Alvarado and Rios, instead of guys like Amir, washed-up Erik, or Zab. I'm not saying that Danny's chin is like Amir's, but I don't know if he can stand in there and win a war, if it were to come to that. I think Alvarado especially would force that upon him if he wanted to.

Glad i didn't pay for the Mayweather Ghost fight. Most people in here predicted it right. I said Ghost gets at max 3 rounds....Mayweather's straight right....just couldn't be stopped.

But i agree with you guys. No way he fights Canelo. If i were him i wouldn't. He just made a ton of money fighting a guy who every boxing fan knew was out classed going into the fight. Why risk losing your "perfect" career to canelo for money you could make fighting a less dangerous fighter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom