Official 2013 NBA Draft Thread

Any thoughts on Tony Mitchell?

Imagine him on a team w/ a coach who demands max effort? I wonder how'd he would fare on a team like the Bulls under Thibs?

I I tried watching his Norht texas team early in the year, but I was disgusted by his behavior and his dumb play, horribly selfish bad body language.

If you are going to act like that with a chance to be a lottery pick on the line, how can I tust that you will ever reach your potential, he's a freak athlete, but untill he smart up and gets every last bit of Kevin Durant disease(PF's who want to be SF's) beat out of him he will always be a "permanent potential" guy.

Last edited:
I I tried watching his Norht texas team early in the year, but I was disgusted by his behavior and his dumb play, horribly selfish bad body language.

If you are going to act like that with a chance to be a lottery pick on the line, how can I tust that you will ever reach your potential, he's a freak athlete, but untill he smart up and gets every last bit of Kevin Durant disease(PF's who want to be SF's) beat out of him he will always be a "permanent potential" guy.

I think that's what's scaring people off. Talent is clearly there....however, it's the mental make up that's in question.

Put him on a vet-laden team or a squad with a coach who doesn't take any BS, and I wonder if that would be enough to get the most out of him?

Off talent alone, he should be a lottery pick - like yo usaid.

Eh, if it was mental makeup then I dont think he ends up at North Texas playing ball and just fades into Bolivian after not getting into Mizzou.

laugh.gif
my young boy Slow-Mo has always been that slow, even back in elementary and high school .. he's got that raw Paul Pierce type of game but he hasn't figured out how to use it to his advantage.. not sure if UCLA was the right move for him though, I thought he was headed to Seton Hall for sure.
A nice six figure check to his father made sure that didn't happen. His game would have been better at Seton Hall.

If the bobcats pick oladipo they are heading straight for struggle offense for many years

MKG cant score, Biyombo cant score, and Oladipo cant score

Bennett
Mclemore
Oladipo

In that order imo. Honestly i wouldnt mind trading down for Len/Adams/cj Mccollem

25+ mil in cap. If we take Ben id wanna go after millsap or jefferson

If the bobcats pick oladipo they are heading straight for struggle offense for many years

MKG cant score, Biyombo cant score, and Oladipo cant score
Ehh.

Quote me on this but regardless of what team he's on...Oladipo well score more points next season than MKG did last season.

^ i dont think thats to farfetched but honestly i know Oladipo can get more buckets than MKG but his offense will not be efficient i think i see him having a bradley beal type fg%

Ford:
Rumors: Noel remains Cavs' top option

With the 2013 NBA draft a little less than a month away, players continue to slide up and down draft boards while teams assess their best draft fits and options.

On Tuesday, following the draft combine and several workouts, we provided our updated top 30 NBA draft prospects to go along with our Top 100 ranking and Mock Draft 3.0.

Here's a look at the latest draft rumblings I'm hearing from around the league.

Cavs' top options with No. 1 pick

The Cavs are on the clock with the No. 1 pick. Sources say that Kentucky center Nerlens Noel remains atop their team Big Board. However, Georgetown forward Otto Porter Jr. and Maryland center Alex Len are also in the mix.

Why is Noel the front-runner?

Cavs general manager Chris Grant and his staff spent more time than anyone watching Noel this season, according to Kentucky head coach John Calipari. In fact, Grant recommended the surgeon, Dr. James Andrews, that Noel used for his ACL surgery. The Cavs also lean heavily on advanced metrics, and those numbers, regardless of the system, strongly favor Noel.

The three biggest issues with the Cavs taking Noel? His ACL, weight (or lack thereof) and pressure from owner Dan Gilbert to make the playoffs next season.

The ACL issue is an interesting one. I've heard rumblings from several teams that their doctors were pessimistic (after examining Noel in Chicago) that he would return to play at all next season. However, I've also spoken with a handful of teams that said they didn't see any issues with his recovery. Noel's camp contends he's ahead, not behind schedule on the rehab. No word yet on the Cavs' assessment of the injury.

The weight issue is quickly becoming a non-issue. Noel weighed in at 206 pounds at the draft combine, creating a bit of a furor. Calipari told me that Dr. Andrews actually recommended Noel lose weight to help speed up the ACL recovery. Calipari said Noel weighed 222 pounds when he was injured. Noel told me in Chicago the number was actually 228. He weighed 215 pounds when he came to Kentucky. Assuming that he gained between 7-13 pounds at UK -- and assuming full-time training before the draft could have easily added another five pounds to his frame -- Noel would've come into the camp weighing between 227-233 pounds. At those numbers, he would have been heavier than Anthony Davis when he was drafted -- and the issue would completely go away.

The playoff issue might be the biggest reason why the Cavs don't pick Noel, or anyone else for that matter, with the No. 1 pick. Sources say the Cavs have already begun to explore what they can get with the No. 1 pick. If they can get a young big or small forward in return, Gilbert will be pushing for them to trade the pick.

Who can they get? The pickings will be slim. Teams aren't dying to get the No. 1 pick. But one name that you shouldn't totally rule out is the Sacramento Kings' DeMarcus Cousins. Bradford Doolittle mentions this in his draft trade scenarios piece today.

If the Cavs are willing to put up with his immaturity off the court, he might be the best young big man in the game.

Other draft-related destinations for Cousins

The Cavs won't be the only team calling the Kings once they get a new GM in place. Sources say that the Charlotte Bobcats and Dallas Mavericks will also have interest in Cousins if Sacramento's new management decides to cut ties with Cousins.

Bobcats owner Michael Jordan doesn't want to be mired in the rebuilding process forever. If the No. 4 pick could net him an established low-post scorer, he'd bite. Cousins would be more of a "Plan C" for the Mavs if both Chris Paul and Dwight Howard decide not to join the Mavs this summer, but Cousins would give them a young presence in the paint to build around.

Cousins has enormous talent, but his off- and on-court antics caused major issues in Sacramento the past few years. Will new ownership, management and coaching be able to help him right the ship? Or would the Kings be better off trading him now and get a high pick in this year's draft? They won't get a huge offer because he's a perceived troublemaker who is going into the final year of his contract before he hits restricted free agency. Getting a high lottery pick might be the best the Kings can hope for.

Magic to make a draft move?

Despite their need at point guard, sources say the Magic aren't sold on Trey Burke as the second-best player in the draft.

While they certainly haven't ruled out Burke with the No. 2 pick, Orlando is also eyeing Indiana's Victor Oladipo and Kansas' Ben McLemore. However, Oladipo and McLemore play the same position as Arron Afflalo, the Magic's leading scorer last season. What gives?

Sources say the Magic have a lot of interest in Clippers point guard Eric Bledsoe and would be willing to trade Afflalo for Bledsoe and Caron Butler's expiring contract.

Would the Clippers bite? Afflalo would give them an established veteran and a big upgrade at shooting guard to pair in the backcourt with Chris Paul.

Notes from Tuesday's workout

The NBA held its second large group workout in Minnesota on Tuesday. The players there were essentially the same ones we detailed last week in New Jersey.

I spoke with a number of NBA GMs and scouts who told me that Arizona State's Carrick Felix, USC's Dewayne Dedmon and Iowa State's Will Clyburn were the standouts at Tuesday's workouts.

One player, French big man Mouhammadou Jaiteh, struggled according to several sources inside the gym. Jaiteh was projected as a potential first-round pick by some before a so-so performance at the Hoop Summit exposed his lack of athletic ability. We now have him sliding into the late second round.

Last edited:
Sources say the Magic have a lot of interest in Clippers point guard Eric Bledsoe and would be willing to trade Afflalo for Bledsoe and Caron Butler's expiring contract.
That makes a hell of a lot of sense both ways.

Bledsoe
Olidipo/McLemore
Harris
Davis
Vucevic

Not bad...not bad at all.

Last edited:
If the Magic land Bledsoe they gotta pick up Oladipo.

They might not score a lot of points but will dominate on defense, the break and the boards

McLemore has more potential offensively but he's not ready to step in and give you what Oladipo can

Mclemore > oladipo

You gotta take the better player magic will regret drafting oladipo at #2 regardless their situation

The Magic should not be looking to win a lot of games next season, so taking a guy to help right away isn't that important.

That trade scenario could make a lot of sense. And they'd still be in the running for next year's top prizes.

I disagree, the only thing McLemore has over Oladipo is his range. McLemore is not in the same league defensively, not as strong and isn't as aggressive as Oladipo. They both aren't great off the dribble but Victor is still better at it right now. They are around the same age yet Oladipo has more experience playing against high level competition. McLemore scored a lot of points because the offense ran plays for him and he mostly scored off of screens where he didn't have to put the ball on the floor. Oladipo was never the main feature offensively and still got his. Ill take the best perimeter defender in the draft who's improving offensively vs a good shooter with athleticism who's still finding himself on both sides of the ball

i love oladipo.. but only on the right team..

putting him with MKG would just be a waste..

also i dont know how much faith i have in bledsoe being able to be the lead PG on a team.. i do think he was underused with the clips and would have love if they used him and CP3 together alot more.. but i just dont know if he can be the main guy, would love him as a 6th man/backup PG role

They might not score a lot of points but will dominate on defense, the break and the boards
Exactly why I was trying to see a Bledsoe/Oladipo pairing in New Orleans (especially under Monty Williams and with Davis and Aminu) through a series of trades that involve Gordon, Vasquez and the sixth pick, but the Orlando scenario is far more plausible.

Last edited:
I'm kinda torn between Porter/Bennett at #3...

Here's a GREAT write-up on the two from the Bullets Forever website...

The Great Debate

*My gut tells me that they absolutely have to go with Porter because he's the safer of the two...however, if Bennett pans out, he could very easily be a multiple all-star in the league.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom