OFFICIAL 2017 COLLEGE FOOTBALL OFFSEASON THREAD - Spring Game schedule on first page

Who is going to win the Pac 12 this season?

• USC

Votes: 13 38.2%
  • Stanford

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Washington

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • Oregon

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • UCLA

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • Wazzu

• Utah

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Colorado

• Oregon St

• Cal

• Arizona St

• Arizona

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Do any of you pay for premium membership on any of your team's sites - Rivals, 247, Scout, etc. and is it an immense waste of money or are the articles/forums worth the $9 per month.

I'm assuming the answer is no, but figured I'd ask since I know some of you used to pay for those sites. Gracias.

You can't be serious,.....
Educate me with your experience and knowledge with being a student athlete and how difficult it can be. I'm willing to be educated on the subject.

All of this over a kid who hasn't even begun classes but we want to act like he's out there trying to figure out a cure for cancer.
He started classes in March. He enrolled early so he is already going through school work. In a lot (most?) schools, football players show up to campus around August and many enroll in Summer school.

And the transition from high school to college by itself is challenging for most freshmen without the added attention and expectations brought about by being a 5 star recruit at an elite athletic institution.

Add in the added difficulty of all of your family moving away out of state, a tough relationship situation, the fact that UCLA was not his first choice school but one, by all accounts, he was pushed to by family and handlers - and who knows what other personal and psycho-emotional problems the kid is going through - and I think it makes sense why this kid in particular could have a tough time adjusting.

Is it the case for all student-athletes or football players, no, but to say being a competitive D1 athlete and student is a cake walk, or to imply it somehow compares to or is easier than regular students have things is, I think, misguided.

Last edited:
He started classes in March. He enrolled early.

And the transition from high school to college by itself is challenging for most freshmen without the added attention and expectations brought about by being a 5 star recruit at an elite athletic institution.

Add in the added difficulty of all of your family moving away out of state, a tough relationship situation, the fact that UCLA was not his first choice school but one, by all accounts, he was pushed to by family and handlers - and who knows what other personal and psycho-emotional problems the kid is going through - and I think it makes sense why this kid in particular could have a tough time adjusting.

early enrollee? Did not know that but should have expected it.

Whats with the family pushing him to UCLA but moving out of state? What did SC do to this kid? He seemed to be locked and loaded for SC than changed his mind and didnt seem to have a reason why he did.

This goes deeper than the simple he just misses home part attitude we typically see in freshmen.

His dad and Sark had ties which is why SC was in early on him, got the initial commitment, and prob would have pulled him if Sark had stayed. His mom and extended family are all die hard UCLA fans but the immediate family moved to Utah in February, I believe, so his mom wanted him to either go to UCLA or BYU (It's why BYU got an official visit.)  His girlfriend also went to BYU, which is another plus for them.  

He was a big SC fan growing up, but family pressure and the debacle with Sark ultimately eliminated them from consideration and narrowed it down to UCLA if he wanted to stay in Cali or BYU if he wanted to follow the family.

EDIT

There may be some other, deeper, **** going on as well as normal freshman pangs but on the surface that's one of the conflicts.

Last edited:
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

at thinking student athletes have rough lives 

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Last edited:
It's one thing to compare the life of a P5 football player to that of a regular student (who doesn't have to worry about how they're paying tuition) and to compare the life of a P5 football player to that of an adult with a family to care for.

The latter is a false equivalence.

right? I wasn't trying to be disrespectful. But man, the real world is more difficult.
Everyone deals with stress. 

Oh player X moved away from his family?!?! How sad 
roll.gif

Like normal students aren't separated from their family too. 

Oh player X had a hard time adjusting!?!? 
roll.gif

So do normal students who go to class and have to work. 

Everyone deals with stress. 

Oh player X moved away from his family?!?! How sad :rofl:

Like normal students aren't separated from their family too. 

Oh player X had a hard time adjusting!?!? :rofl:

So do normal students who go to class and have to work. 

exactly. That was the point i was trying to make.

If anything, the football aspect probably helps the student athlete more since they have others right there with them. A regular student might not have a damn person on that campus who cares about them.

For a lot of these athletes though they come from nothing. They happen to have athletic ability that someone has polished into a package that colleges find appealing.

They may be their family's only chance at a better life...that alone has to be stressful.

You get hurt too bad and dream ends.

Yes "regular" students deal with many of the same pressures and struggles but for an athlete I imagine it's magnified.

These are 18 and 19 year olds first year in college. First time away from mom and dad and family. Maybe many miles away from the only home they've ever known. That isn't easy to deal with.

^ I think that's the point ...
Exactly 
laugh.gif

I just hate hearing the false narrative that these are unique problems to only student athletes. 
I don't know that anyone said that. From what I saw people were responding to the claim that the fact of being a D1 football player alone makes college EASIER than it would be otherwise.

Last edited:
For a lot of these athletes though they come from nothing. They happen to have athletic ability that someone has polished into a package that colleges find appealing.

They may be their family's only chance at a better life...that alone has to be stressful.

You get hurt too bad and dream ends.

Yes "regular" students deal with many of the same pressures and struggles but for an athlete I imagine it's magnified.

These are 18 and 19 year olds first year in college. First time away from mom and dad and family. Maybe many miles away from the only home they've ever known. That isn't easy to deal with.

I can agree with this. I don't have the pressure of making it big time to support a bunch of family members, so i don't know what thats like. Its gotta be difficult.

Good perspective. Better than the "are you serious" comments i was getting, with no backing.

I don't know that anyone said that. From what I saw people were responding to the claim that fact of being a D1 football player alone makes college EASIER than it would be otherwise.
Easier is a relative term.

But lets not act like any regular student wouldn't want the perks of being a student athlete 

and that no student athlete would rather be a normal student 

I don't know that anyone said that. From what I saw people were responding to the claim that the fact of being a D1 football player alone makes college EASIER than it would be otherwise.

I didnt mean this at all, but if thats how some perceived that, i won't argue it. I can see how someone could think thats what i meant. But it wasn't what i was trying to say.

I only mentioned that part in terms of academics and how athletes get way more help than a regular student. That was my initial intent.

Back
Top Bottom