Official 2017 Knicks Offseason thread, Phil Jackson gone

We need a REAL rebuild.

We always wanna hang onto this notion that you can't rebuild in NY but yet every year we continuously see the fanbase hype itself for a "playoff" squad just to lose the majority of the season's games.
We got Melo still at the 3 when he can't keep up. We got Kristaps at the 4 and while he's a smooth athlete he's 7'3 and can only react so quickly. We have a 5 who can only play in the 20+ minute range most nights and not a rim protector. He's not good enough to be justifying starts anymore.

People are so willing to watch a new revamped sh*t show but can't sit through two to four years of an attempted homegrown movement? Hell, we could finish this season with 45 wins and I would say the same thing because the team usually hits it's peak within that one season. We're not even good enough offensively to compensate for the terrible defense.

It's time man. This BS gotta stop. Look at how many seasons we've thrown away with quick fixes. No more of this fairy tale stuff man. Get rid of who you can if you can and start over. This sentimental ish of Melo being the chosen one ain't worth the long term damage.

heres our last 9 games for the month.

View media item 2228749
i got us going 5/9
we would end up being 8-10 going into December.

our roster is fine.
its the consistency of lineups that bothers me.

im fine with the 1st Q rotations.
- KP sits early
- Rose / Melo close out the Q

the EuroBall lineup is money to start the 2nd
- Jennings, Holiday, Cheese, Lance, Willy / KOQ
id rather have KP in for Lance. & play Lance / KOQ if we're in foul trouble
- similar 1st / 2nd Q rotations for the 3rd / 4th

a couple things that pisses me off so far in the season...
- when Melo / KP are in with the bench, they gotta play through them. so many times ive seen Melo get post position & the bench look him off or KP sits in the corner while KOQ holds the ball SMH
- whenever the ball gets swung to the wing, it takes 5-10 seconds for movement off the ball, for a screen / cut
- the 'green light' for Lance / KOQ / Holiday gotta stop. only shoot when youre open
- the more time the ball is in Rose / Jennings hands, the better.
- Rose jump passing & passing IQ is HORRIBLE

this week is huge for us.
i say we go 2/3, & being competitive in all 3

I see 3 wins tops

All i see is a bunch of guys playing hard but not playing together. Too much is made about offense and defense to where these guys arent even playing ball anymore. Coming down, we run to spots instead of getting open. Floor spacing is weak. Body movement is there, but ball movement isnt.

On defense, it's just a bunch of miscommunications.

Work in progress I guess.

Not saying Casey or the Raps are some type of juggernaut but the difference between our rigid franchise and a progressive one is evident. Down the stretch, they looked to exploit Noah's lack of outside shooting, choosing to double KP. On offense, they ran the high screen n Roll for lowry with success. Then came down and did it again, cause it worked, and we looked clueless in defending it.

We were there for 46 minutes then broke down.

We don't have an identity, and that's the biggest problem.

I literally do not know how the Knicks are going to play on a game to game basis.

All we can bet on is that there will be ISO's. And that our defense gives up many open 3's. Two negatives in my book.

Call me debbie downer but it doesnt look like fun out there. Guys are really thinking instead of reacting.

Im going to the game tomorrow so its guaranteed we win

Everytime i go to MSG we win 
smile.gif

Last edited:
We got so many offensive looks. This is a talented group of guys. It's just all about trusting eachother. That comes with time and results. These last two games would have been beautiful to kick off some good times. But we see them both 3 more times.

I expect KP to have a huge game on Monday.

the only reason why our offense struggles is bc phil is forcing the triangle. when the players/hornaceck say eff it and just play freely, they play well. defense is a whole different issue. however, i guarantee that if phil left the team alone, our record would be reversed. there is too much talent on the team for the offense to struggle. dolan needs to do the right thing and fire phil. for real for real. i'm not freaking out or panicking, but as long as he's here, the triangle will always be forced down the players throats.

the only reason why our offense struggles is bc phil is forcing the triangle. when the players/hornaceck say eff it and just play freely, they play well. defense is a whole different issue. however, i guarantee that if phil left the team alone, our record would be reversed. there is too much talent on the team for the offense to struggle. dolan needs to do the right thing and fire phil. for real for real. i'm not freaking out or panicking, but as long as he's here, the triangle will always be forced down the players throats.

View media item 2229444

Why do the players and coaches even still care what Phil says? just play how they want, the wins will silence that old grump

bc he's the president of basketball operations so he can fire or trade any of them (except melo) if he so wishes. how about you try to tell an 11 time champ to **** off. its obviously not that easy.

Word.

A lot of ppl are delusional on this topic. The whole reason Phil is even speaking up is cuz of what he's seeing in the games and then looking at the record.

They like to pretend the reason the team sucks is cuz of the triangles but ignore that it isn't run half as much as it was when Fisher was coaching. Players and fans waste time talking about how its outdated when defense and a high level effort is what's been lacking.

They've created a nice narrative of Phil being old and out of touch to excuse their mediocrity.

Plus the whole idea about the triangle being old is a lie as well. Its the roster that's the problem. I mean Phil was using the triangle just 6 years ago to win another ring but the game has apparently advanced 100 years on the offensive end where none of the younger players in the league today got the time to learn an offensive system.

Hornacek is next to be scapegoated. Gonna be Fisher's Knicks all over again soon enough.

Then if Phil leaves after his contract is up it'll be back to ******** on Dolan who actually stuck to shutting up and leaving his wallet open the past 3 years.

Last edited:
There's a reason the triangle hasn't worked without Jordan Kobe and Phil though. Either you need two of the greatest players ever for it to work or Phil is the only one capable of coaching it. The renditions elsewhere have failed miserably.

Back
Top Bottom