Official 2017 Knicks Offseason thread, Phil Jackson gone

welp, at least Rose's contract comes off the books. if we resign him, i'm talking a step back. if we resign him for any more than $15mil per year, i'm walking away entirely until Phil's stupid arrogant *** is gone.
The best move we can do right now.........the **** you want to give up $25M in cap space just 'cuz "you need a point guard."  We can get one in the draft.

That being said, I co-sign on your latter statement.........**** Phil if he re-signs Rose for anything close to $10M (yes, I'm more harsh on this one, I ain't give Rose jack to come back here)

Completely agree with everything posted above.

If we resign him for a deal like that I may really be done (I'm lying I can never be done
frown.gif
).

So now that we got all this money to spend this off season, which mid level player are we giving the max to this off season? 
laugh.gif

The problem is the market rate is already determined, if we start underpaying then we'll be everyone's last option.

The problem is the market rate is already determined, if we start underpaying then we'll be everyone's last option.
Is this in reference to Rose?

If so I couldn't care less how it looks. There's no way in our situation that we hitch our cart to Rose. Hell, I'm not even sure I want to keep him on a reasonable contract. He just doesn't fit with KP and I feel like playing them together is going to hinder KP's growth.

Let that man walk to Minnesota.

At the finish line, league sources say, New York was prepared to trade Derrick Rose for Ricky Rubio straight up. But the Wolves balked.

Feel better knowing the Wolves backed out (as they should) instead of Phil being a dumb ***

James Dolan donated $300,000 to the fundraising committee 'Trump Victory', according to public records.

Dolan split his donations to 'Trump Victory' for $250,000 on Sept. 27, and $50,000 on Sept. 1. He also pledged the maximum of $2,700 to Trump's campaign alone.

:stoneface: :stoneface: :stoneface:

James Dolan donated $300,000 to the fundraising committee 'Trump Victory', according to public records.

Dolan split his donations to 'Trump Victory' for $250,000 on Sept. 27, and $50,000 on Sept. 1. He also pledged the maximum of $2,700 to Trump's campaign alone.
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
Get this man the **** up outta here 

That's all I needed to read.

I'll illegally stream Knicks games from now on if I have to watch. Can't give this dude any more money to spend on furthering bigotry.

Last edited:
Is this in reference to Rose?

If so I couldn't care less how it looks. There's no way in our situation that we hitch our cart to Rose. Hell, I'm not even sure I want to keep him on a reasonable contract. He just doesn't fit with KP and I feel like playing them together is going to hinder KP's growth.

Let that man walk to Minnesota.

No, in general. Role pieces that teams need are already getting paid a certain amount, if you try go down less (or their true value) they can scoff and entertain other offers. Players will see that struggle and mark us last on their list. Money being blown everywhere, why go with the cheapskates?

welp, at least Rose's contract comes off the books. if we resign him, i'm talking a step back. if we resign him for any more than $15mil per year, i'm walking away entirely until Phil's stupid arrogant *** is gone.

The best move we can do right now.........the **** you want to give up $25M in cap space just 'cuz "you need a point guard."  We can get one in the draft.
Yall talking about getting a starting pg on the draft? Then when they in the team yall want to give them 5 years to "develop".
So now that we got all this money to spend this off season, which mid level player are we giving the max to this off season? :lol:
Dudes fooling themselves on this front too. The game has changed for free agency. I don't care for Rose but if he doesn't get a bunch of money best believe we'll end up giving out more Noah contracts and higher or not sign anyone at all :lol:

Get this man the **** up outta here 

We gotta walk away from this mess :lol: :smh:
Been telling yall.

This worthless price of **** Dolan is hitching his wagon and supporting this oranemge worthless piece of **** Donald Trump :x :stoneface:

Last edited:
Maybe now isn't the best time to get an objective response for this, but how do you guys feel about the $50million tax exemption the Dolan's have gotten on MSG since the 80s?

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...irman-dolan-48-5m-fiscal-yr-article-1.2589753

Tax exemption saves Madison Square Garden chairman James Dolan $48.5 million for 2016 fiscal year

It seems unlikely that the Knicks and Rangers would leave NYC, especially after MSG's expensive renovation, so the tax break doesn't make sense anymore.
It seems unlikely that the Knicks and Rangers would leave NYC, especially after MSG's expensive renovation, so the tax break doesn't make sense anymore.
(Andrew Burton/Getty Images)
Nothing in life is certain except death and taxes…unless you're James Dolan.

The Knicks may be one of the sorriest NBA franchises in the league - languishing again near the bottom of the Eastern Conference standings - but Dolan, the chairman of Madison Square Garden, can take comfort in the special property tax exemption that saves him from paying the city nearly $50 million on the luxurious and recently renovated home of the Knicks and Rangers.

For the 2016 fiscal year, according to the New York City Independent Budget Office, the Garden will generate an estimated $48.5 million that the city would have been entitled to collect if no Garden tax exemption was in place. That's more than twice the amount the NBA's highest-paid players make annually.

"This tax exemption is unfortunately another example of government policies and practices that give preferential treatment to large corporations rather than focus on what's in the best interests of the public," says noted attorney and Knicks fan Norman Siegel. "I would look to the mayor, the controller, the City Council to be looking out for the public's interest."

The tax break has been enshrined in law since 1982, when mayor Ed Koch approved it to keep the Garden's owners from acting on a threatened move to New Jersey. But despite local and state politicians pushing to have the tax break removed, any legislation ultimately has stalled in Albany, keeping the Garden's 34-year (and counting) tax free streak alive.

Two years ago, the New York City Council passed a resolution asking Gov. Cuomo to sign legislation to repeal MSG's real property tax exemption, but Cuomo has gone on the record saying he is not in favor of removing the tax relief. In a recent sign that MSG is trying to bolster its efforts on the issue, one of Cuomo's trusted advisers, Joseph Percoco, left his post as Cuomo's executive deputy secretary in December to work for MSG as a senior vice president.

"They've paid more lobbyists than taxes," says David Weprin, the Democratic State Assemblyman who represents District 24 in Queens, when asked how the Garden has been able to continue enjoying tax relief. "The city could use that revenue - to help with education, hire more police officers, more firefighters. There are many areas that could be addressed."

ISOLA: JAMES DOLAN COULD DERAIL PHIL JACKSON'S RAMBIS PLAN

NYC PAPERS OUT. Social media use restricted to low res file max 184 x 128 pixels and 72 dpi
(Howard Simmons/New York Daily News)
Weprin says that for the seven years he has been a State Assemblyman, he has sponsored a bill to eliminate the Garden's property tax exemption, only to see MSG's lobbyists and political allies run interference in Albany. But Weprin is sponsoring Bill No. A03421, which will be part of an upcoming agenda for the State Assembly's Committee on Real Property Taxation.

"No exemption is granted in perpetuity. The purpose of this bill is to eliminate the (Garden) exemption, but to ensure that fans are not penalized by the owners of the facility, in the form of passing onto them any charges or other costs as a proxy for the taxes the owners must pay," reads Bill No. A03421.

Sandy Galef, the chair of the Committee on Real Property Taxation and an Assemblywoman representing the 95th Assembly District in Westchester, says it is "unimaginable" that a corporation could enjoy such tax relief for so long.

"I've never seen anybody have a total exemption forever. I've seen deals where, in older parts of cities where they are trying to revitalize a downtown area, there are exemptions. But gradually those exemptions disappear," says Galef. "It seems to me that (New York City) could develop a plan with Madison Square Garden to start having it pay some tax over time." Should the committee vote to pass the bill, it would have to next make its way through the state Ways and Means Committee, and ultimately Gov. Cuomo (or any future governor) would have to sign off on the bill for it to become law.

According to the city's Independent Budget Office, the argument raised by legislators as far back as the Koch Administration was that "operating expenses of sports arenas serving as the home of such teams have made it economically disadvantageous for the teams to continue their operations; that unless action is taken, including real property tax relief and the provision of economical power and energy, the loss of teams is likely…"

BONDY: MELO SUMMONING DOLAN TO DROP KAZOO, HELP FIX KNICKS

Carmelo Anthony and the Knicks
Carmelo Anthony and the Knicks
(Nathaniel S. Butler/NBAE/Getty Images)
FOLLOW THE DAILY NEWS SPORTS ON FACEBOOK. "LIKE" US HERE.

But the argument of the Knicks and Rangers fleeing to another city seems archaic at best now, especially after MSG went through its $1 billion renovation three years ago. Forbes calculated the Knicks' market value alone at $3 billion in 2016. Not exactly a financially disadvantaged team, despite the Carmelo and Co. trainwreck product on the floor.

The powerful Communications Workers of America (CWA) union -- which represents about 300 Brooklyn Cablevision workers, the media company also owned by Dolan -- supports Weprin's bill and the union is circulating a memorandum in Albany, lobbying for its passage.

"The Knicks and the Rangers are valued at $1.1 billion and $750 million, respectively - five times more than the Newark-based Devils and the Nassau County-based Islanders. The Knicks and Rangers will not move to any other market, rendering the tax exemption completely pointless," says the CWA memorandum. "At a time when the City and State are struggling to find money for health care, education and other important programs, it makes no sense to give James Dolan, who owns two sports teams worth almost $2 billion combined and makes millions of dollars a year in compensation, $54 million in City tax money a year."

"Madison Square Garden is a vital driver of the city's economy, supporting thousands of jobs, and hosting 400 annual events that attract 4 million people to the heart of New York City," says a Garden spokesman. "In addition, MSG is the only venue in the city that has used its own money, more than $1 billion, to transform to a state-of-the-art facility for the 21st century, helping to ensure it attracts even more premiere events to New York. The Yankees, Nets and Mets all receive significant public subsidies, including property tax exemptions."

Not exactly.

Yankee Stadium and Citi Field are all located on city-owned land, while the Garden is on private property. Barclays Center is on state property. The Yankees, for example, pay a PILOT, or Payment In Lieu Of Taxes, which is in effect paying rent. The Yankees are also responsible for all operations costs. Both stadiums and Barclays Center had tax-exempt financing, but according to the Independent Budget Office, the IRS has since issued a ruling that prevents such relief.

Meanwhile, Weprin and Galef are taking aim at The Garden's tax relief, trying to push for reform, but it remains to be seen if MSG's decades-long tax exempt run will come to a close.

"You have two of the most valuable franchises, and yet MSG continues to get a tax break," says Weprin. "I find it hard to justify the argument that this is money they need."

I'd love to hear @Hank Scorpio's take

I rather take the cap space instead of Rubio. Who knows if we sign anyone good but at least we have options. And I have no problem giving that starting PG role to our draft pick. If we continue to lose we will get a top 5 pick.

Making the playoffs or trying to make the playoffs would be franchise crippling.

Just rotate sitting Melo, Rose, Porzingis every few games & secure a top 8 pick.

Back
Top Bottom