OFFICIAL 2018 COLLEGE FOOTBALL OFFSEASON THREAD

Who is going to win the Big Ten this season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This is the year to cash out and join a big-time program if you're able to, with all these openings, and I think most of these coaches know it. Might be a long time before we see this again, where there were so many coaching vacancies for Top-30 programs in the country.

If you've been patiently waiting it out at a smaller/lesser program, this was the year where it all paid off. And if you're one of those coaches and the phone ain't ringing and none of these schools hit you up, you gotta be sick :lol:

Probably had the for sale sign ready by the front door and everything just to see ******* Herm Edwards get a job :lol:.

This mother ****er Herm is so outta touch... :lol:

And statis22 statis22 ... Didn't take long for the THSFBCA to get butt hurt with Jimbo. They're all up in arms he went to visit Ro Simon yesterday. Buncha petty *******s.

With the amount of turnover we've seen this cycle, places like Illinois, TT, and maybe even Butgers could be rewarded next season for sitting this one out.

What's the best potential job opening next cycle? Everyone who had any semblance of a hot seat going in to this season other than Kliff got the boot. Drama might start up in Austin and LSU, especially if Jimbo gets to a hot start, but we're probably another year away from either of those two having legitimate hot seats.

cringy.

I actually like Herm. But then he starts to feel himself a bit too much as he goes on and its unbearable.

Herm lasting two years max, only hope he might have is that he used to coach that UA game and might have some connections through that

So, for those keeping count, Tennessee has been turned down by over a dozen HC candidates thus far. I've been saying for years that Tennessee is the new Nebraska , a program who hasn't even won their division in a decade yet still believes they should be national title contenders on a consistent basis. This isn't 1996; Peyton Manning and Jamal Lewis aren't walking through that door. Heck, at least Nebraska can identify a quality HC candidate and hire him without a fiasco.

Who actually runs that program? The chancellor? The AD? The Haslem family? fans on twitter?

DQYbjQ1X0AEFrdE.jpg

So, for those keeping count, Tennessee has been turned down by over a dozen HC candidates thus far. I've been saying for years that Tennessee is the new Nebraska , a program who hasn't even won their division in a decade yet still believes they should be national title contenders on a consistent basis. This isn't 1996; Peyton Manning and Jamal Lewis aren't walking through that door. Heck, at least Nebraska can identify a quality HC candidate and hire him without a fiasco.

Who actually runs that program? The chancellor? The AD? The Haslem family? fans on twitter?
actually a pretty good comparison. Zo gif.

I hope he hires Lou Holtz on his staff so they both can gripe about the state of the game every practice.

he's not hiring Lou Holtz because they're retaining the exact same staff. They're only firing Todd Graham.

The move makes ZERO sense, unless you factor in the ASU's current AD is Herm's old sports agent.

Tennessee been like that for a while, plus the state doesn't annually produce droves of elite talent. Always felt like the emergence of other programs like South Carolina halted Tennessee's rise back to the top since most of their talent comes from out of state.

With the amount of turnover we've seen this cycle, places like Illinois, TT, and maybe even Butgers could be rewarded next season for sitting this one out.

What's the best potential job opening next cycle? Everyone who had any semblance of a hot seat going in to this season other than Kliff got the boot. Drama might start up in Austin and LSU, especially if Jimbo gets to a hot start, but we're probably another year away from either of those two having legitimate hot seats.

USC. Or to be honest, also ND, Michigan, UCLA or ASU.

actually a pretty good comparison. Zo gif.

It's just hilarious to me that programs like Tennessee and Nebraska fire coaches every 3-4 years because they weren't able to bring them back to the glory days of the 90s. They need to have their expectations re-assessed or else they'll continue on the same coaching treadmill they've both been on for a decade.

USC going to fire Helton after two NY6 Bowl appearances?

Short Answer: yes.

Really long answer with my feelings on him as a coach:

(No diss or disrespect) but casper90403 casper90403 represents the general feeling of half the fan base. They don't trust Helton and think he's fools good. They're of the belief that his success is 100% tied to Sam Darnold because simple evidence -- they were 1-3 before Darnold and 20-2 since he was named starter - points to that. Bobby Layne Bobby Layne has said similar recently which annoyed me (mostly because Darnold until the second half of this season was average to above average at best save a wow play or two every game, and it's been way more so the defense first and then run game that has carried the year.)

Lynn Swann the AD wanted to fire Helton after the Utah game last year and the admins and boosters wouldn't let him. He wanted to fire Helton again this year after the ND blowout (they were 6-2) and again the admins wouldn't let him even though a large contingent of the fan base was calling for his head. Even after this conference title there are many who still want him gone. Larry Coker comparisons aplenty. That's why Swann had to give him a public vote of confidence and say his job is safe.

There's a bit of "I felt this way at the start and so I'm going to dig in and stick to my guns until I'm proven right, be it this year, next year, or in 5 years. Helton sucks," going on. I think Swann the AD thinks he's a mediocre coach too.

Personally I don't know what he is. I wasn't happy with the hire and I'm still unhappy there was no coaching search, but I'm also a guy who wanted Jon Harbaugh, Gary Patterson, or Tom Herman. I think Helton is an average to slightly above average coach right now, but he has outwon all those coaches since he was hired. You can say it's because USC is a Ferrari and he only wins cuz he has the best players, but that's kinda what matters at the end right? I judge him based on what I judge all the other coaches on. I go into every game thinking we can and should win the game and the team won a Rose Bowl and won its conference in his first two years as HC. If I'd consider those things successes for Lincoln Riley and Kirby Smart, I consider them successes for Helton. Now he has to follow it up and get to a playoff next year like those two have. There are definitely better coaches out there, even within our own conference - Petersen - but I'm OK with the job he's done and if/when he is let go, the cupboard is gonna be absolutely stocked for the next guy. He can recruit his *** off.

Side note:

7931179.png

casper90403 casper90403 :nerd:

Last edited:

That's a fake account.

So Clay Helton is kinda like what Case Keenum is in Minnesota right now? Everyone is waiting for him to lose the job, but he's done a great job so the higher ups can't really justify firing him at this point

Back
Top Bottom