Official 2018 NBA Preseason Thread - Jimmy Butler Does Things

Where will LeBron end up?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
the lack of logic exuded makes me ******* sick. If she stopped being so emotional about it, she'd realize it's a capitalist world. If yo're in demand, you're going to get paid. Say what you want about the Kardashians, but they're in demand so they get to live like ballers. I could spend the same amount of effort as Kobe and MJ but nobody would pay a dime to watch me play at the park. The WNBA while appreciated by people who enjoy it, lacks demand in a demand and supply controlled economy. When people use social issues to back up their argument, it actually takes away from cases where those social issues really are disadvantaging people.

They want 50/50 split of revenue, not necessarily equal pay.

I'll quote myself regarding this very topic from afew months ago:

First of all, bish you are part of a union and have a Union Rep. Please contact them.

Secondly, the league would become insolvent if the players got more money. In fact, the NBA is subsidizing the WNBA

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/28/...ades-wnba-still-struggling-for-relevance.html

Half of the W.N.B.A.’s 12 teams lose money, and they benefit from revenue generated by the N.B.A.’s national television and sponsorship deals. This season, the $25 million the W.N.B.A. is getting from its primary broadcaster, ESPN, is a tiny fraction of the N.B.A.’s average $930 million payment from ESPN and TNT, which will rise to about $2.6 billion next season.

In a rare and candid moment last year, James L. Dolan, who owns the W.N.B.A.’s Liberty and the N.B.A.’s Knicks, told HBO’s “Real Sports” that he came close to handing the franchise back to the league in 2015.

“It hasn’t made money,” he said. “Its prospects of making money, at that time and even today, are still slim.”

Dolan has held on to the Liberty, though, and there seems to be little doubt of the N.B.A.’s continued support of the W.N.B.A. as a legacy investment in women’s basketball.

The league is generating so little money for the owners that if they went from giving the players 20% of the revenue to 50%, EVERY SINGLE OWNER would be losing money. Business people don't go into business to lose money! It's pretty cut and dry. At the end of the day, without the NBA giving the WNBA a cut of their revenue, the league wouldn't exist. The primary thing keeping the WNBA afloat is the potential backlash by the media if the league disappeared. A bunch of people (who never watch the WNBA) would start complaining about the only professional womens basketball league in America going away and this is such an awful day for women, etc. etc.

Kinda cool seeing Cedi taking those other guys he’s pictured with under his wing :pimp:

But in all realness, when you can actually start seeing the All Star Cedi thing come to fruition :wow:
Based on just watching his growth last season with Lebron kind of showing him what it takes to be great, I’m really happy for dude man.

Just look where he is right now. In LA training with finals MVP champions instead of being back home in Turkey where most euro players tend to be during the summer- off season.

All Star Cedi soon come.

I'll quote myself regarding this very topic from afew months ago:

First of all, bish you are part of a union and have a Union Rep. Please contact them.

Secondly, the league would become insolvent if the players got more money. In fact, the NBA is subsidizing the WNBA

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/28/...ades-wnba-still-struggling-for-relevance.html

The league is generating so little money for the owners that if they went from giving the players 20% of the revenue to 50%, EVERY SINGLE OWNER would be losing money. Business people don't go into business to lose money! It's pretty cut and dry. At the end of the day, without the NBA giving the WNBA a cut of their revenue, the league wouldn't exist. The primary thing keeping the WNBA afloat is the potential backlash by the media if the league disappeared. A bunch of people (who never watch the WNBA) would start complaining about the only professional womens basketball league in America going away and this is such an awful day for women, etc. etc.

Yeah I’m not arguing the financials. The league still has potential to grow still. There’s no reason why more games shouldn’t be more televised nationally especially during these dry summers.

It’s really not a good sign when a top 5 player potentially leaves the league for more money after leading the league in scoring. I know viewership was up 35% this season ( a lot to do with gambling IMO.)

Had no idea the Cavs lost Phil Handy to Toronto.

That's a good look. Everyone in the L loves Phil.

Except for the fact the cavs let him go based on him “snitching” to Kyrie about the Cavs potentially shopping him in a trade prior to the news breaking, which ultimately lead to Kyrie demanding a trade.

Is phil handy a good a dude? Yeah, I would say so. Mostly liked by all players.

But can any front office trust Phil Handy? Most likely not, and if any front office is interviewing Phil for job and the question “why did the Cavs let you go?” comes up, he’s most likely to be without a job if the real answer comes to light.

Animal Thug Animal Thug i mess with your name heavt since I'm from Queens, N-O-R-E! But you really think Cedi can become an all-star? He looked decent in summer league and I know the east is weak, but surely you're joking right?

Wing dominated drafts are of the few where I'd encourage lower teams to tank, a team like the Suns can bank quick

Would've been a good year to get both Jimmy and Wiggins off the corner. Wolves better get Canadian Rudy token care of soon

Yeah I’m not arguing the financials. The league still has potential to grow still. There’s no reason why more games shouldn’t be more televised nationally especially during these dry summers.

It’s really not a good sign when a top 5 player potentially leaves the league for more money after leading the league in scoring. I know viewership was up 35% this season ( a lot to do with gambling IMO.)

The interesting question to me is how and why are they being paid so much more money overseas? I read an article saying that female basketball players can make 5-6x as much playing overseas as they do in the WNBA.

I'd really like to see some analysis on why that is. Obviously if they're getting paid a lot more over there, the sport must be a lot more popular and the owners of these teams must be making a lot more money from women's basketball overseas as well. Maybe the WNBA should look at how they cultivated women's basketball in Europe and apply those same methods to America as opposed to just complaining about not getting paid as much stateside.

The interesting question to me is how and why are they being paid so much more money overseas? I read an article saying that female basketball players can make 5-6x as much playing overseas as they do in the WNBA.

I'd really like to see some analysis on why that is. Obviously if they're getting paid a lot more over there, the sport must be a lot more popular and the owners of these teams must be making a lot more money from women's basketball overseas as well. Maybe the WNBA should look at how they cultivated women's basketball in Europe and apply those same methods to America as opposed to just complaining about not getting paid as much stateside.

And this is part of their argument. Big fine Liz makes $400k in China compared to $110k here.

There’s a market for the game. Interest in growing but the marketing model needs to change.

Both of last nights games were entertaining

Animal Thug Animal Thug i mess with your name heavt since I'm from Queens, N-O-R-E! But you really think Cedi can become an all-star? He looked decent in summer league and I know the east is weak, but surely you're joking right?

Thanks man, much respect! Can’t believe I was the biggest Noreaga/CNN fan at such a young age when I created this account in 2001 :lol:.

But in all realness, yeah man - watching Cedi this past year pick up so much from Lebron this past year - his growth is REAL. He’s such a coachable guy, he showed flashes of being an All Star this summer - and now with Katie, Koala, and Lebby all working out with him right now? You know what they say, man...you hang with 3 Finals MVP’s, you’re bound to be the 4th one :pimp:

Thanks man, much respect! Can’t believe I was the biggest Noreaga/CNN fan at such a young age when I created this account in 2001 :lol:.

But in all realness, yeah man - watching Cedi this past year pick up so much from Lebron this past year - his growth is REAL. He’s such a coachable guy, he showed flashes of being an All Star this summer - and now with Katie, Koala, and Lebby all working out with him right now? You know what they say, man...you hang with 3 Finals MVP’s, you’re bound to be the 4th one :pimp:
Yeah I can see the growth and potential. I was actually going to pick him up as a flier in fantasy, my only concern is that Love staying there might hamper his growth this season.

Except for the fact the cavs let him go based on him “snitching” to Kyrie about the Cavs potentially shopping him in a trade prior to the news breaking, which ultimately lead to Kyrie demanding a trade.

Is phil handy a good a dude? Yeah, I would say so. Mostly liked by all players.

But can any front office trust Phil Handy? Most likely not, and if any front office is interviewing Phil for job and the question “why did the Cavs let you go?” comes up, he’s most likely to be without a job if the real answer comes to light.
Kyrie and Handy are evidently super close since Irving entered the league, so if thats true I honestly wouldn't be surprised.

Most common (and grossly inaccurate) misconceptions about mental health:

1. If you are rich, you should be happy because why wouldn’t you be? Being rich DOES NOT absolve you from having mental health issues. Biggie literally told us mo’ money, mo’ problems. That is not to say poor people don’t deal with the same problems. It just proves that it is a human issue not a monetary issue.

2. Only white people have mental health issues. That is false but it’s just that mental health conversations don’t have a place in most African American communities. White folks regularly see therapists, get treatment, etc. for mental health problems but it is overlooked as if it is a racial thing when it really isn’t.

Based on those two misconceptions, I think it is good to see a young, affluent African American speak on this topic in a civilized, cogent manner unlike Kanye when he tries to broach the subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom