Official 2019 Boxing Thread: 12/28 - Davis vs. Gamboa, Pascal vs. Jack SHO

Who will be the winner of the Kovalev vs. Canelo fight?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This is why people can’t **** with boxing like that, these dudes gonna avoid each other until 2025 :smh:.

That’s all due to floyd joy and pbc and al haymon.
Some of us said this years ago, but glad y’all catching up. Better late than never m8

That’s all due to floyd joy and pbc and al haymon.
Some of us said this years ago, but glad y’all catching up. Better late than never m8

You literally never shut up about "Floyd Joy" and PBC. A large number of folks in boxing play this goofy game, you can stop parroting the same **** over and over, it's ****ing weird.

We'll see how public perception is when he's fighting Andy Ruiz in late 2020.

He got 40M and the fight in the US, I'm not sure what more he can get. I could understand turning down the deal if DAZN insisted on it being a three fight deal (I think we can all agree Wilder deserves A-side treatment in the rematch if he beats Joshua the first time) but they didn't even try to negotiate that issue. One of sticking points was that they wanted to know what AJ was making :lol:.

Man I've heard so many different stories about what was included in the deal and what wasn't I'm not even sure what the ACTUAL offer was at this point. I do understand wanting to know the details of what Joshua is getting though, or at the very least what kinda revenue the fight as a whole will make. Wilder is getting more and more popular in the US, Joshua owns the UK, its a fight to crown the undisputed heavyweight champ for the first time in like 20 years, UK vs US, Wilder's KO's are going viral everywhere, there's alot of angles to promote and they could do some real numbers. I mean Canelo just got $35 mil to fight Jacobs, who's still a relative unknown to a lot of casuals, $40 mil doesn't seem that crazy. I get wanting to maximize what you're getting paid.

But I agree that it seems like they haven't tried to negotiate like they should've. Seems like neither side is 100% committed to the point of compromise in order to make it happen right now

You literally never shut up about "Floyd Joy" and PBC. A large number of folks in boxing play this goofy game, you can stop parroting the same **** over and over, it's ****ing weird.

Man I've heard so many different stories about what was included in the deal and what wasn't I'm not even sure what the ACTUAL offer was at this point. I do understand wanting to know the details of what Joshua is getting though, or at the very least what kinda revenue the fight as a whole will make. Wilder is getting more and more popular in the US, Joshua owns the UK, its a fight to crown the undisputed heavyweight champ for the first time in like 20 years, UK vs US, Wilder's KO's are going viral everywhere, there's alot of angles to promote and they could do some real numbers. I mean Canelo just got $35 mil to fight Jacobs, who's still a relative unknown to a lot of casuals, $40 mil doesn't seem that crazy. I get wanting to maximize what you're getting paid.

But I agree that it seems like they haven't tried to negotiate like they should've. Seems like neither side is 100% committed to the point of compromise in order to make it happen right now

There's no PPV split, they are both getting a flat fee. It shouldn't really matter.

Mannix and Evan Rutkowski explained this on his pod a couple weeks ago but a PPV would have to be a big success for Wilder to get that 40M after the dust settles. DAZN is most likely overpaying for this fight because I seriously doubt Wilder-AJ under the traditional PPV model would be a threat to break 1M US buys.

Ultimately I don't really put the majority of blame on Wilder's shoulders, but rather on Al and Shirley Winkle. This whole situation really illustrates why the Ali act is a thing.

Last edited:
I can’t see accomplishing what Ward has accomplished and being as cerebral as he is without a high level trainer with him.

Everytime you see Virgil with another fighter they’re getting starched, but they tend to be very flawed established fighters that are trying to turn their careers around in the final stretch i.e. Khan, Breazeale, Berto. Can’t expect the man to work miracles.

He did well when he worked with an elite guy like Jacobs. The test will be if he can mold another young fighter to greatness.
My post might have came off a bit harsh. I don't want to discredit Virgil Hunter. Andre Ward's father died young and Hunter had to fill some void in Ward's life, especially out of the ring. Ward was put on this Earth to be a boxer and in the ring he knows what to do on his own.

There's no PPV split, they are both getting a flat fee. It shouldn't really matter.

Mannix and Evan Rutkowski explained this on his pod a couple weeks ago but a PPV would have to be a big success for Wilder to get that 40M after the dust settles. DAZN is most likely overpaying for this fight because I seriously doubt Wilder-AJ under the traditional PPV model would be a threat to break 1M US buys.

Ultimately I don't really put the majority of blame on Wilder's shoulders, but rather on Al and Shirley Winkle. This whole situation really illustrates why the Ali act is a thing.

Interesting. It seems like DAZN is overpaying for alot of fights. Honest question, have you read or heard how they're recouping from paying Canelo and Jacobs $35 mil and $15 mil respectively? What's exactly is their business model? They got about 900k streaming in the US and another 300k streaming worldwide but with a $9.99 a month subscription and I'm guessing revenue from ticket sales at the gate, those number still don't add up.

My post might have came off a bit harsh. I don't want to discredit Virgil Hunter. Andre Ward's father died young and Hunter had to fill some void in Ward's life, especially out of the ring. Ward was put on this Earth to be a boxer and in the ring he knows what to do on his own.

Nah Ward is definitely a phenom, all I'm saying is even with a phenom like say Floyd Mayweather, he got alot of input from Roger and Floyd Sr. You could even see the difference in his performances between the Cotto fight where Roger was the head trainer vs a couple subsequent fights when Floyd demoted Roger and got Floyd Sr back in the camp. I think Virgil absolutely had an influence, especially since he got him so young. But yes, he was also dealing with phenom pupil as well.

blackcease blackcease DAZN has Russian/Ukrainian oil money behind it. They're overpaying on boxing right now in hopes of establishing the platform in the US and landing a rights deal from one of the big 4 and/or one of the big P5 leagues in college.

They are a lot like the other streaming services and other tech startups (Uber) where they are burning through money now in hopes of having monopoly power in the future.

DAZN's since bumped their prices to $20 monthly, and $100 for a year sub in the US.

blackcease blackcease DAZN has Russian/Ukrainian oil money behind it. They're overpaying on boxing right now in hopes of establishing the platform in the US and landing a rights deal from one of the big 4 and/or one of the big P5 leagues in college.

They are a lot like the other streaming services and other tech startups (Uber) where they are burning through money now in hopes of having monopoly power in the future.

DAZN's since bumped their prices to $20 monthly, and $100 for a year sub in the US.

Gotcha. Well I dunno man, I just hope they can agree on some numbers soon.

Thurman already took a shot at AB earlier and now took a shot at Tim Bradley. Also said with Porter you gotta worry about not just his hands but that bulldozer of a head he's got charging at you. :lol::lol:Said if you can have a Doctorates degree in boxing he'd have 1.

He trained at LA fitness without any trainers for that fight, he's got 2 trainers for this fight. He's taller, longer reach, bigger, 10 yrs younger, quicker feet than Manny.

Thurman was nearly beat during a “tune up” fight. He needs to pump the breaks hard

Back
Top Bottom