Official 2019 Boxing Thread: 12/28 - Davis vs. Gamboa, Pascal vs. Jack SHO

Who will be the winner of the Kovalev vs. Canelo fight?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I wonder if Canelo has reached Floyd status where holding a belt doesnt mean as much to him.

Not the biggest Canelo fan by any mean but the man is a draw and a talent.

Also feel for Canelo, I'm sorry but his opponent ain't a draw. Any offer they gave would've been the most he would've seen ever. Now he ain't going to get anything. And aside from Ggg not much left at mw for him that will do numbers.

Wish Andre would've stayed in the game. I'm sure he would have loved to fight Canelo

Ward would easily beat Canelo to the point where they couldn’t even justify trash scorecards.

Although he did get a draw scorecard against Mayweather who completely shut him out, that **** was ridiculous man.

Ward would easily beat Canelo to the point where they couldn’t even justify trash scorecards.

Although he did get a draw scorecard against Mayweather who completely shut him out, that **** was ridiculous man.

This is why Ward would have to KO him. **** everyone would have to at this point with him being a cash cow like he is. Mayweather embarrassed and shut him out and that scorecard was STILL suspect :lol:

:lol: here we go

He could have avoided all of this if he had just agreed to fight a 37 year old GGG one more time.

Last edited:
From Lance Pugmire @ The Athletic

That legendary smile, the cool charm and the ability to speak enthusiastically about projects have helped Oscar De La Hoya transcend from his formidable feats as a 10-time boxing champion into the most successful fighter-promoter in the sport’s history.

It won Canelo Alvarez over, hastened the Mexican’s rise as a household name in the U.S. and persuaded those directing the sports streaming service DAZN to align last year with Alvarez for 11 fights in a record $365 million investment.

But now, a day after the IBF stripped Alvarez of his third middleweight belt because of failed talks between De La Hoya’s Golden Boy Promotions team and the promoter for mandatory challenger Sergiy Derevyanchenko, no one is smiling, the charm has evaporated into sourness, and those involved are wondering if De La Hoya will emerge from the mess as a man of substance or be exposed as superficial.

“This is an insult to boxing and, more importantly, an insult to boxing fans of the world,” De La Hoya said in a prepared statement of Alvarez’s being stripped by the IBF. “ … I plan to aggressively consider all legal actions possible.”

The reaction was perfectly aimed at a general sports audience surprised that a respected champion would be penalized for not fighting an opponent only one fight removed from losing to the same fighter Alvarez just conquered on May 4.

But it downplayed the extra effort that the sport demands from all, including De La Hoya and his team, to examine and respond to the fine print.

The crux of the ongoing Alvarez ordeal swings on De La Hoya’s promise, in a signed contract between Golden Boy and DAZN, that Alvarez would fight Golovkin in September — on the Mexican Independence Day weekend that has routinely generated wide national boxing viewership.

Yet, De La Hoya was reportedly lax in allowing Golden Boy’s deal with Alvarez to slide without inserting such binding (and perhaps confrontational) language that also ordered a September fight with Golovkin, creating a conundrum exacerbated by Alvarez’s rivalry and deep disdain for Golovkin after their 2017 draw, Golovkin’s shredding of Alvarez over two failed drug tests and Alvarez’s narrow 2018 victory by majority decision.

Even though Alvarez and DAZN Executive Chairman John Skipper maintain friendly communication, Alvarez, by denying a Golovkin fight, let De La Hoya twist nakedly in the wind in front of DAZN and compromised what Skipper maintains should operate as a “relationship … of trust.”

In an interview I did with Skipper while reporting for the Los Angeles Times earlier this year, he told me of DAZN’s union with Alvarez and De La Hoya: “If we each don’t want to do something, the outcome is stalemate … it’s mutually assured destruction if we don’t make it work.”

But Alvarez was miffed not just at Golovkin. He’s fumed at De La Hoya and Golden Boy President Eric Gomez for promising the Golovkin fight to DAZN, and he was chafed after learning from a report that DAZN had agreed in its deal with Golden Boy to pay De La Hoya’s company around $90 million over five years for the rights to broadcast 10 other non-Canelo Golden Boy fight cards per year.

The industry is rife with talk of a fraying connection between Alvarez and De La Hoya following the bond tied to Alvarez’s rise as a world champion, and through the past defections from Golden Boy of several prominent fighters managed by Al Haymon in 2015.

While De La Hoya’s been through rehab and absent around his offices over the years, according to employees — also missing some recent Golden Boy cards in Southern California — he’s cultivated young talent like popular prospect Ryan Garcia, 154-pound champion Jaime Munguia and unbeaten welterweight Vergil Ortiz Jr., who headlines a DAZN card Aug. 10 in Texas.

Collecting the DAZN funds to promote those other than Canelo — even if De La Hoya would’ve struggled to collect that sum if it weren’t attached to the cachet of his marquee fighter — shouldn’t be viewed as a sin by Alvarez, given their journey to these heights, many in the business say.

De La Hoya did not immediately respond Friday to questions about this story directed to two Golden Boy Promotions spokesmen.

Skipper, the former head of ESPN, defended De La Hoya’s presence as the company leader.

“I was in business with Oscar at ESPN and it was an excellent experience, and today I’ve had a good experience with Oscar at DAZN,” he said. “He’s never shied away from tough conversations. He’s always available if I need him.”

Yet Derevyanchenko promoter Lou DiBella has chastised De La Hoya on Twitter for his neglect in not responding to a ticking clock from May 4 until early July that would’ve allowed WBC and WBA champion Alvarez to retain the IBF belt by applying for an exception based on a deal to unify against WBO middleweight champion Demetrius Andrade.

An earlier effort to stage an Alvarez fight against light-heavyweight champion Sergey Kovalev sloppily fell apart because Kovalev couldn’t withdraw from a commitment to fight in his native Russia against Anthony Yarde.

De La Hoya’s team also showed no interest, DiBella said, in negotiating for the Derevyanchenko fight until the night before the last of the 30 days before a purse-bid deadline, and Golden Boy wasn’t even registered with the IBF to make such a bid before later declining to pay $7 million to Derevyanchenko for a bout that also would’ve saved the belt with a likely Alvarez victory.

Negotiating with DiBella, while Derevyanchenko managers Keith Connolly and Al Haymon monitored, Golden Boy’s Robert Diaz offered $5.5 million for the bout, according to an industry source unauthorized to discuss financial terms publicly.

“I have no animosity toward Oscar De La Hoya or Golden Boy, nor have I insulted the offer they did make,” DiBella said. “I get a little irked, however, when I see these statements, threats and quotes acting like anyone else did anything inappropriate. I don’t like the mischaracterization of reality.”

Derevyanchenko is negotiating toward an Oct. 5 title fight against former IBF champion Golovkin on DAZN at Madison Square Garden. He’s positioned to earn at or near the $7 million De La Hoya rebuffed.

Industry skepticism remains about Alvarez’s interest in unifying against Andrade, with one insider pointing out “they didn’t think about (the unification) until just a few days ago, as a way to keep the belt. They may not even want it now.”

As of Friday afternoon, Alvarez has not said “yes” to a fight Skipper labels “very acceptable to us.”

Skipper is holding an Oct. 26 card — likely in Las Vegas — for an Alvarez-Andrade bout that DAZN would show after the conclusion of World Series Game 4.

“Canelo has been our rainmaker to date, and he’s been a pleasure to work with,” Skipper told The Athletic on Friday. “The two fights we’ve done with Canelo have generated a dramatic number of subscribers — I can say that the majority of our subs have come from the Canelo fights. We want, of course, for Canelo to be involved in bouts that have enormous public interest, and we believe the Andrade bout qualifies as that.”

In the meantime, Skipper and DAZN find themselves on a high-wire situation in which they’d be empowered to enforce the contract with Golden Boy. They’re not ambivalent, but they’re also experienced enough to understand that with nine fights remaining on Alvarez’s contract, maintaining a strong relationship with “the rainmaker” is the soundest way to proceed.

“You have to keep the greater good in mind, which is Canelo and Golovkin to continue fighting for us and everybody working hard together,” Skipper said. “Obviously, Canelo is the boxer who can drive more subscriptions than anyone else in the business right now, and we are very happy with his two fights. We know a rematch with Golovkin is the bout of the greatest interest to fans and will, therefore, drive the most subscriptions.

“But we and Golden Boy and Canelo and Golovkin are all in this together, and we’ve all got to come to an agreement about date and time and venue and circumstances.”

The negotiations are likely to be grueling, and after the drama of the recent months, the most defining of Oscar De La Hoya’s promotional career.

so basically Oscar did both DAZN and Canelo dirty. Promised DAZN a 3rd GGG fight without even telling canelo about it Oscar just had the money in their eyes and were willing to do whatever it takes to make it happen. Backstab the only fighter keeping your brand alive

Adam Kownacki comes in at 266 pounds, the heaviest he's ever weighed in his career. Chris Arreola's weight is 244, five pounds heavier than his last fight.

In what world does Derevyanchenko deserve 7 million though? ::Shrugs::

Word getting out that Jacobs got 10 million for Canelo actually messed things up more than people realize.

Jacobs got $12.5 mil, DiBella is heated that $7 mil didn't come through

In what world does Derevyanchenko deserve 7 million though? ::Shrugs::

Word getting out that Jacobs got 10 million for Canelo actually messed things up more than people realize.

I doubt Canelita agreed to the deal without the understanding that DAZN was expecting a third GGG fight. This is on him too, he’s not stupid.

Salute to the IBF for following their rules and not coming up with bull**** like “franchise champions”.

No way Canelo didn’t know the deal involved a third fight with Golovkin given he should’ve lost at least one of the first fights.

**** that dude.

I understand the Canelo hate stemming from all the bull**** with the judges, but I don't understand it with this GGG ****. He fought him twice. He doesn't like the guy and doesn't want to give him a third payday. It is what it is. He fought Jacobs. He was trying to get a Kovalev fight made. Apparently he's up to fight Andrade.

I can understand how being around Oscar and getting these bull**** scorecards could have people looking at him funny, but the guy is willing to fight whoever moreso than just about anybody in the sport. I mean GGG was poppin all that **** about fighting whoever at whatever weight and then *****ed out when it came to actually making the fight with Ward. At least this guy stepped up to the plate and fought the guy everybody swore he was scared of, TWICE.

Which makes all the "diva" **** so weird to me man. I really don't get it. He’s definitely throwing his weight around a little but he’s a huge draw, and he’s still looking for solid fights. I’m not mad at him

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom