Official 2019 Boxing Thread: 12/28 - Davis vs. Gamboa, Pascal vs. Jack SHO

Who will be the winner of the Kovalev vs. Canelo fight?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I understand the Canelo hate stemming from all the bull**** with the judges, but I don't understand it with this GGG ****. He fought him twice. He doesn't like the guy and doesn't want to give him a third payday. It is what it is. He fought Jacobs. He was trying to get a Kovalev fight made. Apparently he's up to fight Andrade.

I can understand how being around Oscar and getting these bull**** scorecards could have people looking at him funny, but the guy is willing to fight whoever moreso than just about anybody in the sport. I mean GGG was poppin all that **** about fighting whoever at whatever weight and then *****ed out when it came to actually making the fight with Ward. At least this guy stepped up to the plate and fought the guy everybody swore he was scared of, TWICE. Which makes all the "diva" **** so weird to me man. I really don't get it.

All of this.

Is the Canelo hate a product of his DLH association?

Dude’s resume is ridiculous to only STILL be 28 years old.

I understand the Canelo hate stemming from all the bull**** with the judges, but I don't understand it with this GGG ****. He fought him twice. He doesn't like the guy and doesn't want to give him a third payday. It is what it is. He fought Jacobs. He was trying to get a Kovalev fight made. Apparently he's up to fight Andrade.

I can understand how being around Oscar and getting these bull**** scorecards could have people looking at him funny, but the guy is willing to fight whoever moreso than just about anybody in the sport. I mean GGG was poppin all that **** about fighting whoever at whatever weight and then *****ed out when it came to actually making the fight with Ward. At least this guy stepped up to the plate and fought the guy everybody swore he was scared of, TWICE.

Which makes all the "diva" **** so weird to me man. I really don't get it. He’s definitely throwing his weight around a little but he’s a huge draw, and he’s still looking for solid fights. I’m not mad at him

He doesn't like him because GGG made fun of him because HE tested positive for Clen. Lets not act like Canelo and DLH wouldn't have been up there doing the same **** and bringing up all the old soviet stereotypes if GGG would have gotten popped. Canelita acts like the man insulted his family.

I give him props for wanting to fight Kov, but lets not pretend like Canelita's resume doesn't look a lot better on paper then it does in actuality. Debatable decisions against Lara and GGG, the Trout fight, washed Cotto and Mosley, a blown up Khan, and a humiliating loss against Floyd in which he quit after those mid rounds.

GGG first offered the fight to Ward before all that **** went down, and Ward turned it down because of his lawsuit and his various injuries. The second time when Ward actually wanted the fight he offered him two BS offers which is why GGG trolled back with the "50/50 164". Ward actually thought he was the A side even though he had to give out tickets for his own people to go see him fight in Oakland :lol:. People make fun of GGG's PPV buys but he still sold better on average in his non-Canelo PPV fights than Ward did in the two biggest fights of his career against Kov. There's no question who the A side in that fight should have been.

He doesn't like him because GGG made fun of him because HE tested positive for Clen. Lets not act like Canelo and DLH wouldn't have been up there doing the same **** and bringing up all the old soviet stereotypes if GGG would have gotten popped. Canelita acts like the man insulted his family.

I give him props for wanting to fight Kov, but lets not pretend like Canelita's resume doesn't look a lot better on paper then it does in actuality. Debatable decisions against Lara and GGG, the Trout fight, washed Cotto and Mosley, a blown up Khan, and a humiliating loss against Floyd in which he quit after those mid rounds.

GGG first offered the fight to Ward before all that **** went down, and Ward turned it down because of his lawsuit and his various injuries. The second time when Ward actually wanted the fight he offered him two BS offers which is why GGG trolled back with the "50/50 164". Ward actually thought he was the A side even though he had to give out tickets for his own people to go see him fight in Oakland :lol:. People make fun of GGG's PPV buys but he still sold better on average in his non-Canelo PPV fights than Ward did in the two biggest fights of his career against Kov. There's no question who the A side in that fight should have been.

As far as Ward GGG neither of them were tearing it up with the PPVS, they were in the same range and Ward was the far more accomplished fighter, I don’t think it was anything crazy for him to try to start negotiations claiming the A side. The BS offers and the 164 weight limit being a troll are debatable but it turned into a **** swinging contest. Either way the fight didn’t get done.

None of this makes Canelo a diva tho :lol:, which is my point.

You can’t really blame him for the terrible decisions nor the early resume, that’s Oscar. Canelo actually had to force Oscar’s hand for the Lara fight and as far as I’ve seen has always been willing to fight the best guys. I don’t like the judging **** either but that’s boxing for you.

He just beat Jacobs and he looks like he’s still trying to fight legit comp, Kovalev, and even a guy like Andrade who’s probably more risk than reward. That doesn’t scream diva to me. He just doesn’t **** with ONE particular dude, for a particular reason, and he’s leveraging his status to **** with him. A little petty I suppose, but there’s a lot of petty **** in boxing negotiations.

I hope they get it done at some point but I’m not mad at him for the time being. I want to see both of them in some fresh matchups against legit guys anyway, GGG even moreso than Canelo.

Boxing is sports entertainment at the end of the day, being the more accomplished fighter doesn't mean much when one guy was clearly the better draw between the two.

150 and 170 against Lemiux and Jacobs >>>>>>> 165 and 130 against Kov. Jacobs was coming over from the PBC, and Lemiux was coming off a fight against N'Dam that wasn't even shown on HBO, while Ward flopped twice in the two biggest fights of his career against a guy who HBO spent a considerable amount of time building into a attraction. Ward thinking he was the A side was delusional.

Going back to that Athletic article on Oscar/Canelo, Oscar got a $90M/5 year deal for non-Canelo cards. $18M a year for 10 cards, the purses on those cards he's been putting on so far have been like $200k in total purses. DLH eating like crazy off of Canelo name without Canelo getting a cut of that $90 mil. Take away Canelo and Golden Boy doesn't even have a better roster than Lou Dibella and no way in hell would Dibella be able to get DAZN to cough up $90M

I think GGG would have fought ward, I think Ward and his people realized they would be the B-side and would have to fight at GGGs chosen weight, venue, $ etc etc when GGG was still kinda unproven and Ward was a p4p great but not moving the needle AT ALL

I mean nobody in Ward's position as compared to GGGs at the time was gonna send out an initial offer like "Hey I'm definitely the B-side bruh haha I'll take less bread how bout you choose the venue :D". That's just the process of negotiating. But fair enough, apparently Ward started off asking too much in their eyes, GGGs camp allegedly felt insulted etc. etc.

Still not mad at Canelo's moves (yet).

Badou must be REALLY washed. Pascal ain’t been Pascal since the first Kov fight.

Browne has always been suspect. He's athletic but doesn't have much else. Hot Rod exposed him and he's been carefully matched ever since. Badou Jack didn't have the power to hurt Browne. Multiple refs have taken his punch and weren't even rocked.

This **** is brutal, its gonna get ugly for someone by the 7th or 8th round at this pace

Wilder should just give up on pronouncing Kownacki **** is comedy trying to see how many ways he pronounces it this fight

I think it's hard for anyone to give Canelo credit with the Mayweather fight on his resume. He just got outclassed from start to finish. He fought the best the sport had to offer and was made to look like an amateur. That and the fact the many of his belts after leaving welterweight came from him winning fights at catchweights and was labeled the catch weight king for a while.

Now he wants to pursue a name that has been exposed that he can outbox in kovalev. That's where I believe the criticism comes from with canelo that and of course the oscar connection with questionable score cards.

Sad part is each point is something he didn't need to pull off most of his victories.

Canelo is still a great fighter but is very underappreciated. Will be great to see what he does after leaving dlh.

Think about this, he probably has the best resume of anyone ahead of him on the p4p list

The Ward fights should have no bearing on a potential Canelo-Kov match-up assuming Kov beats Yarde. Canelo is moving up two weight classes to fight a guy who's been a LHW his whole career. If he legitimately beats him, with no strings attached, he's the P4P king and it won't be close. Weight classes exist for a reason.

I'll be rooting for Yarde in that fight because him winning would be better for boxing, but I still think it's too soon and too much of a jump from his previous opponents. With that being said tho, this does remind me of AJ-Wlad in a lot of ways.

Kownacki and big baby Miller are good friends. They got the highest heavyweight output of any HW out there. Kownacki better not get popped for EPO too

Canelo has secured the services of an independent lawyer -- either to re-negotiate his Golden Boy deal or to ensure it's properly enforced or to cut a deal in which Canelo buys out the remainder of the contract.

The lawyer might wind up doing all three and in that order. Someone ball-parked a buyout figure to me of $20-30 million -- but only if Canelo's lawyer can show Golden Boy has been acting in bad faith or not living up to its side of the deal. And the figures obviously could vary greatly based on fight outcomes (or, heaven forfend, injury).

Sadly, this is where Oscar's history of substance abuse has legal implication. I really respect the way Oscar has treated me personally. And addiction is a disease. But Canelo was reportedly embarrassed by a few instances in which Oscar was a no show at his pressers, ostensibly because Oscar was impaired or hung-over. If it can be proven he was indeed absent for that reason, Canelo will get to pay far less to buy out his deal -- because it portends greater difficulty for Oscar should the case be litigated.

Canelo has made overtures, through intermediaries, to two well-known promoters -- which efforts were likely designed and executed with sufficient subtlety so as to skirt tortious interference.

An executive with one promoter, after I texted him about the outreach, replied, "No idea about that." Maybe the outreach was so subtle those on the other end didn't even know they were being -- quietly but desperately -- sought (#InsidetheRopesInception).

https://www.gabeoppenheim.com/fight-fables--foibles/the-case-of-canelo-vs-the-golden-boy

Back
Top Bottom