OFFICIAL 2019 COLLEGE FOOTBALL OFFSEASON THREAD

Kevin Ellison died last night

Former USC star safety and team captain Kevin Ellison died at the age of 31 earlier the school confirmed over the weekend. There is no official cause of death, but Ellison was walking on the 5 Freeway in the San Fernando Valley with his brother at the time of his death per the Los Angeles Times.

The SoCal native played at USC from 2005-08, part of three Rose Bowl championship teams and achieved first-team All-Pac-10 honors twice. Ellison recorded 170 total tackles (96 solo tackles), 17.5 TFL, 3.5 sacks and five interceptions in his Trojan career despite battling knee injuries. His best season came as a junior, posting 57 tackles, eight TFL, two sacks and two interceptions.

"This hurts more than anything I could’ve ever imagined," wrote Ellison's former USC teammate and NFL linebacker Brian Cushing on his Instagram. "Kev you were the best friend and teammate anyone could’ve asked for. Coming in as freshman together I always admired your heart and dedication. I’m going to miss you bro forever. RIP."

Ellison was drafted in the sixth round of the 2009 NFL Draft with the No. 189 overall pick by the San Diego Chargers. He only played one season in the NFL, seeing action in 13 games and starting nine as a rookie (50 tackles, two TFL, two QB hurries). Ellison was arrested during his short time with the Chargers on suspicion of possessing a controlled substance while driving in Redondo Beach in 2010. Police found 100 pills of Vicodin in Ellison's car and he was booked and released on $10,000 bail. He spent time with the Seattle Seahawks the next year but was cut before the season opener.

Ellison's scouting report from NFL.com:

Steady, no-nonsense strong safety ended his career with 34 starts and earning first-team All-Pac-10 honors after each of the past two seasons. An instinctive defender, Ellison has morphed into a coach on the field for the Trojans. While every other member of the USC defensive backfield is superior as an all-around athlete, Ellison, who was lightly recruited out of high school, makes up for a lack of eye-popping measureables with intelligence, physicality and a penchant for making the big play. Of concern to scouts, is whether Ellison has the straight-line speed to handle the transition to the NFL, especially considering the three knee operations he's undergone while at USC.

The Inglewood native also played in Arena Football League, joining the Seattle Shock in 2012. But his time ended after Ellison was arrested for arson at his apartment complex, per the Spokane Spokesman-Review:

Kevin Marcus Ellison, 25, who was dismissed from the Spokane Shock arena football team after his arrest June 14, repeatedly claimed to be Jesus Christ, including to an elderly woman who was at the hospital when Ellison was treated for smoke inhalation, said Assistant U.S. Attorney Aine Ahmed.

"He may have some mental issues," Ahmed said.

It's funny because prior to the season, people were talking about how easy our schedule was.

It was and has been easy. Nobody was expecting much from anybody outside of Auburn and maybe LSU on your schedule.

It was and has been easy. Nobody was expecting much from anybody outside of Auburn and maybe LSU on your schedule.

True. I think that we're gonna end up going 4-0 over this stretch and people will be back to saying how easy our schedule is. :lol:

Mississippi State and Texas A&M don’t belong in the top 25. Auburn and Kentucky are grossly overrated.
Notre Dame should be the 2nd ranked team in the country right now too

Looks like College Gameday crew heading to Ann Arbor and Wisconsin vs Michigan is ABCs game of the week.

Week old article but still pretty interesting. Seems like DJ Durkin was a tyrant at Maryland. I don't understand how he still on administrative leave, are they investigating something? They played over half the season without, why not just fire him? They definitely have cause to get rid of him.

What r u talkin bout they aint played no1 good.
I’m sorry I missed those tough games Clemson and Georgia played. Have they even played a team with a winning record?
I’ll stack ND’s wins against Michigan, Stanford, and Va tech over any of the top 10 outside of Ohio State.

I’m sorry I missed those tough games Clemson and Georgia played. Have they even played a team with a winning record?
I’ll stack ND’s wins against Michigan, Stanford, and Va tech over any of the top 10 outside of Ohio State.
Stanford is mediocre. The other top teams outscore their opponents usually 2.5:1. The only team that really plays anyone usually is Ohio State. Look at their schedule last year for example. Bama never plays anyone either until playoff. LSU are at their usually spot. I'm surprised they were even ranked 5 this year. Big 10/12 is where its really at.

Honestly so far their schedule has been better than ours. Outside of penn state we don’t really have a big win. TCU isn’t that good but was ranked at the time.

Actually their schedule is better (so far) than anyone’s ahead of them IMO. Now that’ll change but up to this point it is

Clemson’s played nobody, Bamas played nobody (I guess AM is ranked now), Georgia’s played nobody, Ohio State played Penn state

Back
Top Bottom