Official 2019 NYK offseason thread. Brooklyn knick fans check in

It wouldn’t be a Knicks thread if 75% of the posts in here weren’t wild hypothetical delusional hopes and dreams
giphy.gif

Isola!? :smh::smh::smh:

NEW YORK — It was just a month ago when David Fizdale, who loves to talk and talk and talk, declared that the Knicks season went “according to plan, just how we wanted it to go.”

Care to revise your statement, coach?

The 17-65 Knicks suffered their biggest loss of the season on Wednesday at the NBA Draft Lottery in Chicago. The entire night and lead-up to the lottery were a microcosm of the Knicks franchise the past two decades — lot of hype, big plans, great expectations, but ultimately a loss. Too bad Patrick Ewing had to be the one sitting on the dais and being the sacrificial face of failure. That gimmick backfired, as well. It should have been James Dolan on stage without his blues band. Or Steve Mills.

The big winner on Wednesday was the New Orleans Pelicans and their vice president, David Griffin, who was set to join the Knicks as general manager two years ago but backed out when he was informed at the last hour that he would be sharing the duties of running the team with Mills. Griffin, who built a championship team in Cleveland, wasn’t having any of that. He passed, and now Griffin and New Orleans won the opportunity to draft Duke’s Zion Williamson.

The Knicks finished with the league’s worst record, and in any other year New York would have had the greatest odds of winning the lottery and the right to pick Zion. But the NBA’s revised lottery format, implemented this year to curb tanking, evened the playing field. The Knicks, Phoenix Suns and Cleveland Cavaliers all had a 14 percent chance of winning the lottery. New Orleans, a second-round playoff team last season, had a 6 percent chance.

The Pelicans leap-frogged six teams, while the Knicks dropped to No. 3. It could have been worse, of course. The Knicks could have fallen all the way to the fifth pick. Cleveland fell to fifth, Phoenix sixth. NBA Commissioner Adam Silver should be happy with the results. Tanking didn’t pay.

One of the night’s big winners were the Los Angeles Lakers, who moved all the way up to the fourth slot. LeBron James got a little lucky considering the Lakers had only a 2.8 percent chance of drafting fourth.

Where the Knicks currently sit, they’ll likely be in position to select Duke’s R.J. Barrett, who entered the college season as the projected No. 1 pick until Zion started defying the laws of gravity. The ceiling for him, according to several league executives, is James Harden, which is pretty darn good.

But Barrett is not a generational talent like Zion. He’s not going to energize the fan base and, more importantly, he’s not the player that will put the Knicks in the running to make a potential blockbuster trade for Pelicans All-Star forward Anthony Davis. The master plan for the Knicks was Zion or Davis along with Kevin Durant and Kyrie Irving. Two-thirds of that plan is still very much in play except that the current Knicks roster, which won’t feature either Zion or Davis, is not very attractive to free agents. It’s a 17-65 roster, in fact.

The Lakers have a better roster and the fourth-overall pick. The Pelicans can find an attractive deal with the Lakers. Or Griffin may start having conversations with Boston Celtics president Danny Ainge, who has a young and talented roster plus first-round picks to trade. Ainge, according to sources, wants to re-sign Irving and believes he will do just that if the Celtics acquire Davis.

When I spoke to Griffin over the telephone on Tuesday, he refused to discuss anything and everything related to Davis’ future. He did, however, talk about the pending draft lottery and was incredibly confident that the Pelicans would come out winners.

“I’m very superstitious, but I also think we’re going to win the lottery,” Griffin said. “In fact, I’d feel confident if we had a 2 percent chance of winning. At 6 percent, I’m certain of it.”

When the results were announced on Wednesday, Griffin seemed rather composed. The immediate reaction of Mills, Fizdale and Scott Perry will remain a mystery. That group has been unusually confident this season despite the record and the recent history of the franchise. Maybe they have good reason. There are plenty of NBA executives, coaches, players and agents who are convinced that Durant is coming to the Knicks. But the Knicks were also confident that they would get lucky at the draft lottery.

It’s worth noting that Kawhi Leonard and Giannis Antetokounmpo, two of the league’s top five players, were both selected 15th overall. It’s not always where you draft, it’s who you draft. With the third pick, the Knicks should — should — get a good player.

But it won’t be Zion. The dream of a Zion, Durant and Irving trio at Madison Square Garden is dead. The Knicks are also out of the Anthony Davis sweepstakes. Now they’ll have to pray that Durant will leave the best team for the worst team.

What are the odds of the that happening? Well, let’s just say it seemed a lot better a couple of days ago.

Exactly. We don’t need a super team. We just need a couple stars and quality players that fit well together and in the system. Well, whatever “system” Fiz runs. The idea that you need multiple superstars to win is false. 3/4 teams still playing don’t have multiple superstars.

I think it’s more the cap isn’t built for teams to have 3 stars like it use to be. The Heat and the Warriors both occurred when the league saw massive increases in team salaries and both teams had players either sacrifice salary (Wade) or were underpaid due to prior injury (Steph). Hell even the Cavs lucked up with enough picks to draft Kyrie and got JR for cheap. I don’t think a team of 3 star players can afford to field a nba roster around them unless one of them was underpaid and likely drafted by the team.

That’s why I think the Knicks plan was to get Zion (now RJ) and of they did trade for AD, likely keep one of Mitch or Knox. You got to have cheap roleplayers. We also saw the Celtics and Philly do their own versions of this. A team can afford two stars in FA but they got to build the roster in the draft.

Last edited:
Kawhi might stay in TOR.

Nah it's gonna be one dude that's like "I'd rather have Kawhi, Durant's a snake" or "**** Durant, he's taking shots away from Frank"

But KD, will be taking shots away from Frank. j/l

Mitch / KD / KL / RJ / DSJR would be sick though

Last edited:
When you have the ball in your hands less and are asked to do less, then you’re less prone to injuries

3 of 4 years he was with Lebron he played 70 plus games
WTF are you even saying?

1st. Kyrie only played 3 seasons with Lebron. Go back to wiki and pull the right stats.

2nd. Out of the last 5 season, Kyrie has been out 2 during critical times (1 finals and 2nd playoffs) you might as well say 3 times because he was mentally checked out this playoffs. Not to mention countless others game rehabilitating or tending to minor injuries.

3rd. Kyrie much like when he played with Lebron, would be the 2nd option but KD is not a primary ball handler. Meaning that KI will have to play a lot more with the ball. Meaning, he still will be stressed, unless we can get a competent PG.

4th. You are quick to call out people but you're pretty bad with your takes. Bad knees are bad knees. Anytime you have KI regardless of whi you pair him with, you need to take into account his health especially the later you get into the season. Putting unnecessary stress on your #1.

Last edited:
he's been trash since the OKC series.

Dame doesn’t have the elusiveness or the handle that Kyrie has. He’s essentially a jump shooter who shoots around 43% from the floor. He can’t handle double teams and somewhat struggles when he’s being guarded by bigger players who have the speed and power to keep him in front of them. GS9 just really understand the matchup defensively.

Even with that said he’s a better player then Kyrie. Kyrie has all skill to be the best PG in the nba, he just lacks the competitive skill to win. That’s not something that can just taught or learned. He’s an awful teammate and quits all the time. Son is toxic.

With that said if KD does come here. He needs someone to keep the defense honest from outside the 3. That player isn’t Kyrie.

Dame doesn’t have the elusiveness or the handle that Kyrie has. He’s essentially a jump shooter who shoots around 43% from the floor. He can’t handle double teams and somewhat struggles when he’s being guarded by bigger players who have the speed and power to keep him in front of them. GS9 just really understand the matchup defensively.

Even with that said he’s a better player then Kyrie. Kyrie has all skill to be the best PG in the nba, he just lacks the competitive skill to win. That’s not something that can just taught or learned. He’s an awful teammate and quits all the time. Son is toxic.

With that said if KD does come here. He needs someone to keep the defense honest from outside the 3. That player isn’t Kyrie.

reports surfacing that he is playing with a separated rib. that might be part of the reason why he's struggling so much.

I’m fully in on RJ. What he showed when Zion went down was refreshing. From what I’m reading, lots of scouts saying to play him at point. He struggled at times because this was a historically bad shooting Duke team. NBA teams are trash at defending lefties too.

His handle is below average, but finishing ability is A1. He’s got lots of potential to be an all around guard with good scoring instincts. The defense is there too. Highly doubt he’ll ever be on Hardens level, but something between Larry Hughes and Manu I could see.

I’m fully in on RJ. What he showed when Zion went down was refreshing. From what I’m reading, lots of scouts saying to play him at point. He struggled at times because this was a historically bad shooting Duke team. NBA teams are trash at defending lefties too.

His handle is below average, but finishing ability is A1. He’s got lots of potential to be an all around guard with good scoring instincts. The defense is there too. Highly doubt he’ll ever be on Hardens level, but something between Larry Hughes and Manu I could see.

I'm not fully in but I'm on board.

Don't like the lazy Wiggins comparison cause RJ has shown better playmaking instincts than Wiggins ever has.

DeRozan is an interesting one. RJ is much farther along than DeRozan was at 18 years old, though.

In the gym at Chicago’s Quest Multisport facility, executives from every team overflowed among the courtside tables, the bleachers and in the quieter spaces outside the ropes where pleasant conversations would lay groundwork for summer deals. At the NBA Draft Combine it seemed there was only an occasional glance at the players sweating on the court to grab an eye, the focus more on taking a turn with Pelicans VP of Basketball Operations David Griffin to make a pitch for the services of disgruntled New Orleans star Anthony Davis.

But a player who was not in the gym and not even playing for the Warriors right now, Kevin Durant, was also on the lips of many of the executives in the gym.

While Durant (strained calf muscle) is watching from the sidelines right now as the Warriors continue to plow through the Western Conference playoffs, when the season is over he will become a free agent and it was hard to find anyone who didn’t think what Garden chairman James Dolan hinted at earlier this year — the stars are going to sign with the Knicks.

For now it is all speculation, but there were anonymous whispers asking if it was true that the Knicks and Durant had already held a secret meeting, that a handshake deal was already in place and that endorsement deals were already ironed out.

https://www.newsday.com/sports/colu...evin-durant-knicks-nba-free-agency-1.31267678

Wonder if this 'meeting' happened around the time we made the Porzingis trade. I still refuse to believe we made that major of a move just for a chance at Durant.

Back
Top Bottom