Official 2019 NYK offseason thread. Brooklyn knick fans check in

"Dear Knicks fans,
Do me a favor and stop listening to haters who like other teams and watch three NCAA games a year before March Madness rolls around. Step off the ledge, I'm here to remind you about the situation we were in heading into the draft lottery and the situation on hand now that we know where everything has landed. These were the circumstances before the draft lottery:

The Knicks had a 14% chance to win the lottery (tied with the Cavs and Suns) and a 40% chance to land a top three pick.
The Pelicans were rumored to be scouting the Knicks players in case an Anthony Davis trade materialized and the Knicks were already rumored to be building packages around Zion (although Adrian Wojnarowski denied this rumor later in the night).
That Pelicans trade was realistic because the Knicks not only had a shot at Zion, but because they had some intriguing young talent (Mitchell Robinson, Dennis Smith Jr and Kevin Knox at the top along with Dotson, Trier and Ntilikina).
There was also guaranteed routes for the Knicks to sign two max contract value players and along with that was a constant buzz of rumors surrounding Kyrie Irving and Kevin Durant.
Finally, outside of the guaranteed top five pick, the Knicks were also looking at owning all of their own first round draft picks to go with 2 from Mavs that they got in the KP trade.

We all know what happened. The Knicks didn't get Zion and the NBA fan world rejoiced with my favorite moment of foolishness coming from Ramona Shelbourne

Someone explain to Ramona that David Griffin doesn't have any impact on the draft lottery please. While we're at it, it's probably a good time to make a few other points. If the Knicks were in the second or third slot (those Cavs and Suns spots), they'd be making a pick at 5 or 6 in a draft where the talent drop off is pegged after 3. While the Knicks survived 60% odds to fall even further, their counterparts with second, third, fourth and fifth best odds in the draft lottery all fell 3 places. The sky might be falling if you're feeling like the Knicks never catch a break...but this is honestly the third break they've gotten in a row.

First the Lakers let Mitchell Robinson slip to the second round where the Knicks got their best young asset for the 36th pick in a draft. Then the Mavericks came through and took a disgruntled KP off the Knicks' hands, giving them the cap space to fuel KD rumors and the extra first round picks that allows them additional flexibility (this opens up the ability to trade firsts in consecutive drafts). Third, the Knicks landed in a spot to pick one of the draft's premier talents. Yes, the star of the show is Zion Williamson but Ja Morant and RJ Barrett have been the second tier for a long time, putting the Knicks in much better position than the other squads that tanked. Losing out on Zion is painful in vacuum, especially after a 17 win season; but try winning 19 games and ending up with the 6th pick. More importantly though, the Knicks are still in a great position for the offseason.

When you pull back the curtain and look at the Knicks' circumstances, you'll actually see that everything is still looking pretty damned promising. The Knicks will still have more cap space this offseason than anyone else, a collective of young developing talent, multiple first round picks in future drafts and a top three selection. This is what the Knicks are looking at heading into the offseason; step off of the ledge fam, we're looking at the best circumstances some of you have ever seen for the Knicks in a single offseason (I'm 32 and it's true for me). Trading for Anthony Davis is a lot less likely and Zion is no longer an option, but everything else is still just as promising as it was prior to the draft lottery.

One of RJ Barrett or Ja Morant will be available and there are some interesting players that could make a move into the conversation with those two as well. Darius Garland is my sleeper pick, he'd be a household name if he hadn't been injured. Jarrett Culver has the tools to contribute up and down the stat-line although he hasn't particularly shown that he has number one offensive option upside. There's also Deandre Hunter who the March Madness only viewers should be very familiar with. Another interesting option could be tapping Washington to see how they feel about a trade for Bradley Beal built around that top three pick. The key here is that the Knicks have a lot of directions to go with that pick, many more than they would have slipping just one or two more spots in the draft.

This is a good time to note that the Knicks offseason will likely be defined by one player in a similar fashion to this draft lottery. Just like everyone pegged all of the Knicks fans' hopes to Zion, the narrative is building toward a KD or bust free agency. Let me take a moment to refute that narrative also. Yes, the best case scenario for the Knicks starts with one of KD or Kawhi signing; but that is far from the only scenario that can leave the Knicks in an advantageous scenario. I'm not here to preach the values of Kyrie or any other free agent alone, but the value of cap flexibility. Don't take it from me though, take it from president of basketball operations Steve Mills:

“We feel good about the summer. We feel we’re in a position that it gives us an opportunity. We hope we get lucky and we land free agents. And if not, we’ll keep building the way we’re building. The space gives us an opportunity to be flexible in terms of how we deal with trades. We can take guys into our [cap] room in the trade process, it gives us the flexibility to continue to build the team the way we’ve been building it. But it gives us an opportunity to make it better in a way with free-agent or trade prospects.”

You don't have to hand out contracts with cap space. The Knicks could target top FA's or others at prices that they feel are fair and if that doesn't work out, trade avenues will be wide open. The Knicks can eat unwanted contracts for the cost of more assets or take chances on players that need a change of scenery. They could also roll over the cap space necessary to target Anthony Davis when in case hits free agency next season (which appears to be likely barring a trade to LA). Flexibility is important and the offseason won't be a loss if Kevin Durant and Kawhi choose other locations. The only way to seal the Knicks' fate on a bad path would be to spend foolishly and even in that case, they'd have an escape hatch in the form of all those picks and youth they've acquired. If you're still on the ledge, consider that there are more paths and options for this franchise than choices in Bandersnatch. None of this guarantees success, but it does mean that the road to next training camp is unpredictable with a lot more ways to build a foundation than tear it apart. Barring James Dolan going full Targaryen and burning MSG to the ground, the Knicks are still positioned to make a bold step in the right direction. Patience is hard to come by after extended challenges for this franchise, but the third pick in the draft is not a reason to mourn our losses. Take a deep breath, take a step back and for the love of God; stop putting all your eggs in one basket. Take one more quote from Steve Mills with you for the road...
“I don’t feel pressure to deviate from our plan if we don’t get two big free agents. I don’t feel that kind of pressure. The pressure is for us to continue with the process and build this team the way we’re saying we’re going to build it."

“… The worst thing we can do is react to doing the wrong thing because we’re disappointed something didn’t happen exactly the way we want it to happen this summer. That could be thing that could derail us from doing what we committed to our fans, what I committed to Jim (owner James Dolan) in how I would build this team.”"

Assuming we keep the pick and draft RJ, he's coming in here with a chip on his shoulder.

Love that.

NY will embrace him and love him.

Now that I’ve come off the ledge a bit...

I’m totally okay with drafting RJ. If KD AND Kyrie really are coming as speculated. RJ, Mitch, Zo, and to a lesser extent Knox is a talented core to put around those two.

AD is a goof if he doesn’t consider staying. Him + Zion + Holiday is a squad, and Griff isn’t a lameduck GM.

you have to remember if we trade our #3 for AD you know they are going to want mitch... if thats the case id rather keep mitch and take rj... i wouldnt mind ja on this team but i hope rj falls to us hes a better fit imo

First off, AD is a phenomenal talent. But aren't you mother****ers tired of gutting the team? **** that. How about for one god damned time we don't give up one of the most promising players we've had? Keep Mitch, keep Trier, keep DSJ, keep Knox, keep Dotson, send Mudiay packing.

If FA want to sign, then fine, if not, keep building. Take on other teams bad contracts and collect assets.

This thread is unbearable 365 days out of the year.

They're doing some stat on WFAN right now which team is the unluckiest in the history of the draft. We're third unluckiest.

1. Memphis
2. Dallas
3. NYK

I was fully prepared to drop to the 5th pick.

I had hopes when we landed in the top 4.

Getting the #3 pick was disappointing because, like most of you, wanted Zion, but oh well. That's how it breaks for the Knicks. Zion to New Orleans IS absurd luck so when this franchise has blown their opportunities with a generational big man talent, then they get another top guy right as the last one is leaving.

If AD declines the supermax, I think our offer of #3, Mitch, Knox, DSJr, whoever else they want is decent compared to the Lakers offering #4, Lonzo, Kuz, Ingram, whoever. I'm not a huge fan of the Lakers young guys, but if they value them highly then maybe that's the deal they want. Or they like the idea of pairing RJ and Zion and have two young stars grow for cheap.

I'd be happy with RJ even though I don't love him, but the talent is there.

I swear people hate on the knicks for no reason at all. WE AIN'T EVEN BEATING ANYONE WHAT DO YALL HAVE AGAINST US LMFAO. People go out of their way to **** on a team that hasn't even competed in a while. As if Dolan banged their mom or something smfh.

I deadass dont get it

We havent been a true contender in like 2 decades now.

So ****ing annoying

Ain't no way in gutting my team for AD. Can we put a comprehensive package, yes. But do not throw the entire roster at them.

Also, I just dont see the Pelicans wanting to trade AD to the Lakers. Bron was the one that planted that seed and they gave a great package last year, so why would the change their minds now? Plus sending AD to a conference rival is not the greatest of ideas.

Back
Top Bottom