Official 2019 NYK offseason thread. Brooklyn knick fans check in

R.J. BARRETT, DUKE
Relevant Measurements: 6-7, 205 pounds. 6-10 wingspan

Relevant Per-Game Stats: 22.7 PPG, 7.4 RPG, 4.0 APG, 0.9 SPG, 0.4 BPG, 44.8 FG%, 33.5 3P%, 68.2 FT%

Relevant Per-40 Stats: 26.8 PPG, 8.7 RPG, 4.7 APG, 1.1 SPG, 0.5 BPG

Advanced Numbers: 24.2 PER, 53.3 TS%, 50.4 eFG%, 21.6 AST%, 17.5 DEFREB%, 11.6 TO%, 32.3 USG%, 1.1 BLK%, 1.5 STL%

First Coach
“He’s very, very talented. He can really score the ball at will. I’m not sure he passes as well as Zion, but I don’t think he also looks to pass as well as Zion either. But he’s so big and athletic. He has such good ball skills. When he’s coming in transition, he’s one of the best. Bringing the ball and getting to the rim, he’s going to get there. He has a great euro-step. That’s why they’re one of the fastest teams in terms of transition and possessions. It has everything to do with R.J. Barrett.

“I will give Duke credit for this: what they run, they run a dribble weave and flip. I don’t know if it’s intentional with their design or what, but they start R.J. on the right side of the floor, they dribble at him, and sometimes they come together, some times they don’t, and all he needs is for that defender to be a little bit out of position, and he’ll sweep. He’ll get to his left hand, he’ll get downhill, and you know it’s coming. The way they design their offense, the way they flip it over to him on the right side, it’s really hard. Watch them now, it’s really hard to keep him from getting downhill.

“The more I think on it, the more I do think that’s by design. I will give them credit for that. They’ve done a great job of always keeping him on the right side of the floor, and getting him to his left hand. Sometimes they flip it, sometimes they pass it and just run straight down in front of him, and as a defender you get confused. Is this guy supposed to be switching or helping? They do a great job. All he needs is just a little slither. If you get out of position just a little bit, he’ll get there. I’ll give him credit, too. Where him and Zion are a little different: R.J. you have have to be up on him, because he shoots it. And when you’re up, you get out of position.”

Second Coach
“I like him. I like his alpha mentality. And I think he’ll become really good. But the thing that scares me about the NBA IS that alpha mentality. I’ll be very interested to see how that fits in with the team that drafts him.”

Third Coach
“I think he’s developed about as much as anyone else has in the last 18 months. I still think his best position is he’s going to be a tall point. But he’s a guy you can put out there and be a playmaker. He’ll absorb some contact and be a finisher. His finishing is not going to be a question.

“I don’t know that he’ll shoot it at a high level. His mechanics aren’t great and I think he shoots a hard ball. But he’ll make enough to keep you honest. At that level with the floor being spaced, when he makes his 3s, it (will be) off the catch. But overall, I think he plays better off the bounce. Even if he’s driving, it’s a set shot. He gets it off because of his height. And at that level, people will match his height with their length. The thing in the NBA is, when the ball comes back to you, you have to be able to make a spot-up shot. He’s better off the catch, but I question if he makes (pull-ups) off the bounce.”

“I think you wouldn’t go wrong taking him No. 2. That kid works. That kid really works. He has a desire to be the best. The knock with Duke players used to be that the longer they stay, the less chance of them being able to translate into a good player because their bodies take a beating. That won’t be the case with him, he’s coming in there fresh.

“I’ve seen him from the time he’s young. He can come across as aloof. But the kid is really competitive from what I saw. He’s been trained to be an NBA guy, so he comes across as aloof like them with his teammates sometimes.”

Fourth Coach
“Most teams in the NBA play side defense, which keeps actions to the sides of the floor. He’ll have to adjust to that. You can’t let him get to the middle. Once he gets there, that’s where he’s at his best because of his length, his IQ and his ability to pass the ball. But he will have to learn going left or to his right and getting back to the middle.

“With him, it’ll depend on where he goes early on. If he’ll have the ability to play. Sometimes, guys go to teams where they aren’t playing and they don’t develop basketball-wise, confidence-wise, etc. He’ll need to go to a place where he has the ability to play right away, play through mistakes, and develop from a basketball standpoint, and have one or two veterans around him. They’ll play him differently. They’ll get into him, and he’ll have to adjust. He needs to be on a veteran team. Some teams where you have some veteran leadership, he’ll succeed. If you throw him on some of these teams with all rookies and they just throw him out there, I think he’ll struggle a little bit until he figures things out.”

Fifth Coach
“Scorer’s mentality. He had no interest in guarding. He had an interest in gambling and going for steals. He’s very left-hand dominant. In my scout, I thought Reddish had a higher ceiling.”

Sixth Coach
“Talented. He’s quick, he’s long. And he’s got the unique ability to get everybody and finish. He finishes against bodies, he finishes around bodies. He’s a little bit light, but once he gets a little bit more physicality maturity he’ll be fine. The shooting, he’s riding a high right now. He’s pretty damn good. He’s slippery. I thought he would play better against us. He was good, but I expected a bit more. But obviously, he’s uniquely talented. Where do you play him at the next level would be my question? Do you play him at the 2? Do you give him the ball as a big point and tell him to make plays?

“I’ll tell you one thing he does do. They won’t call it because it’s college and because it’s Duke, but he offensive fouls every possession when he dribbles with his left hand. If you go back and watch, watch his right hand. He raps the **** out of every defender with his right, and he never gets called. It pisses me off. He’s slippery. He’s good. He’s not a De’Aaron Fox burner, but he’s shifty and has great straight-line speed.”

https://theathletic.com/822553/2019...ukes-core-players-other-than-zion-williamson/

soulja-boy-draaaake-e1548790403571-710x532.png

FRANCE?!

y'all are grossly overrating the young players on this team if you think they're ready to contribute to a possible contender

Kyrie and KD plus our young guys are a better team them KD, Kyrie, AD, and scrubs.
It’s easy to say that not knowing who we’ll be able to sign if we get all 3

Serviceable veterans have always gone to legit contenders for the minimum tho

I don’t see that being any different here

Back
Top Bottom