OFFICIAL 2020 COLLEGE FOOTBALL OFFSEASON THREAD

Who will the four teams in the College Football Playoff be?

• Alabama

Votes: 36 83.7%
  • Clemson

Votes: 35 81.4%
  • UGA

Votes: 22 51.2%
  • LSU

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Oklahoma

Votes: 19 44.2%
  • UF

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Ohio State

Votes: 12 27.9%
  • Auburn

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Michigan

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • Someone else

Votes: 17 39.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Can always tell my arguments are won against Georgia fans when they have nothing but to fall back on arguments they had nothing to do with. Like Cardo, like clockwork.

I'm just calling out the hypocrisy of you saying we should listen to players and take their opinions into account on some issues (unionizing, NIL, using their platform for social change, etc) but on other issues they're "18-22 year olds who can't think for themselves" (your words, not mine).

This is some real "speak up when I agree with you but shut up when I don't" stuff

I'm just calling out the hypocrisy of you saying we should listen to players and take their opinions into account on some issues (unionizing, NIL, using their platform for social change, etc) but on other issues they're "18-22 year olds who can't think for themselves" (your words, not mine).

This is some real "speak up when I agree with you but shut up when I don't" stuff
Absolutely it is.

Or, 18-22 year olds are educated on some topics and not on others. Last I checked very few if any of the players in the country have public health degrees. Or do you go to your plumber for a colonoscopy?

It's also interesting that you keep harping on this point about the players who want to play. What about the one's who don't? Or that whole "speak up when I agree with you" thing only works one way?

Or, 18-22 year olds are educated on some topics and not on others. Last I checked very few if any of the players in the country have public health degrees. Or do you go to your plumber for a colonoscopy?

It's also interesting that you keep harping on this point about the players who want to play. What about the one's who don't? Or that whole "speak up when I agree with you" thing only works one way?
The ones who don't feel comfortable shouldn't play and shouldn't have their eligibility impacted for it. Feel like I've been pretty clear about that unless you're reading my responses with your eyes closed.

You're no more educated on or have any deeper level of access to information on the virus than these players do, but you've squarely made up your mind cancelling is the only option. Where's your medical degree?

We can dance around in circles on this. But some of you continue to talk in absolutes like there's not or shouldn't be an option. The statistics available as of today don't flesh out a doomsday scenario for anyone under 50, let alone college aged kids. They just don't.

Almost none of these 18-22 year olds have degrees in anything, that's why they're in college lol. It doesn't mean they can't gather information, assess risk to them and their families and make decisions. They're not children.

You can apply your above logic to anything. "These college athletes don't have degrees in finance and accounting, who are they to have educated opinions on player compensation and the best way for the schools to pay players?"

Also, if you don't want to play or don't feel comfortable playing then you shouldn't play! Every conference has offered players the ability to opt out without penalty and they'll likely get another year of eligibility. Numerous players have already said they don't feel comfortable playing and that's ok

these players are well aware that this season is going to have its hurdles. Constant testing, living in a bubble or being sequestered to your dorm/athletic facility, likely canceled practices/games. All of this on top of the risk of getting COVID. I totally understand why a player and their families might not feel comfortable or might not think it's worth the hassle to play this season.

If you haven't underlying health condition, respiratory issues or amino suppressed family members then you probably shouldn't play. If you're a player like Trey Smith who's had blood clots on his lungs, you probably shouldn't play but at the end of the day these are their decisions to make.

Last edited:
Some of you guys are framing it like "these poor young black men are being dragged from their homes and forced to play college football for our entertainment when they clearly don't want to" (I'm black by the way so miss me with that "you don't get it" stuff)

Most of these guys want to play and for those who don't want to play they can easily opt out. Just because they're not making the decision you want them to make or that you would make yourself, doesn't make it a bad decision.

I think it's one hell of a false equivalency to compare listening to the players on issues of social justice, being compensated, etc., to whether it is safe for them to play football in the midst of a global pandemic. I think there are plenty of arguments that can be made with respect to them playing, but that one just doesn't make sense to me. And ironically, most people using it don't listen to them when they're literally arguing for anything else.

The ones who don't feel comfortable shouldn't play and shouldn't have their eligibility impacted for it. Feel like I've been pretty clear about that unless you're reading my responses with your eyes closed.

You're no more educated on or have any deeper level of access to information on the virus than these players do, but you've squarely made up your mind cancelling is the only option. Where's your medical degree?

We can dance around in circles on this. But some of you continue to talk in absolutes like there's not or shouldn't be an option. The statistics available as of today don't flesh out a doomsday scenario for anyone under 50, let alone college aged kids. They just don't.

OK. Wall of text time:

Sure, they keep their eligibility and scholarships, but what about retaliation by their coaches for them sitting out. Coaches have been burying kids for considering transferring, but we're supposed to pretend that everything will be fine if they "don't feel comfortable" playing in a pandemic despite the same coaches stating verbatim that the players should think of themselves as soldiers storming the beaches of Normandy and "casualties will happen."

I'm no more educated or have a deeper level of access to info, sure, but go look at Twitter. There are players who literally learned last night that Covid causes heart failure.

No one is talking in absolutes. I've made my stance clear. Set up a bubble that is safe and the players can play in it if they want to. The pac 12 and Big 10 made the decisions to cancel after multiple of their member schools admitted that they can't safely take all the precautions necessary to protect JUST THE PLAYERS let alone the community at large. They've said they can't create bubbles. They can't charter private jets. They can't keep the students from interacting with outside bodies.

You quoted a stat earlier where you said, I think, 400 people in the college age range have died from covid among 400,000 who have tested positive. That's what, 1 in 1,000? I may have gotten your numbers wrong but lets say that's what they were: there are 16,000 college football players, so essentially you're agreeing that if all the teams played that statistically about 16 players will die from covid this year, including 1 or 2 in the Power 5 right? How many of these kids you're shouting to listen to would still be saying #WeWantToPlay if that statistical likelihood was made clearer? How many may feel differently if they knew that because of covid infection, 10-20 of the 1,200 players in the Big 10 have ALREADY been diagnosed with an extremely rare heart disease and they've only been on campus for 1 month? Or do you think maybe the "it doesn't affect young people" narrative is so loud that everything else is kind of drowned out.

And "doomsday scenario" is such wonderfully subjectively and meaningless nonsense. Nothing is "that serious" as long as you think personally you can not be affected, you're not assuming any actual risk, and so any casualty is negligible.

There's a model for playing: Create a bubble. If the schools don't want to do that then they shouldn't play. People act like we don't recall or ban things every day that kill ONE person. Oh, there's a danger inherent in this product even though people don't care? Let's pull it off the shelves. They don't leave a few out there just in case people want the option of assuming the risk and buying it. You don't get the option to not wear your seatbelt.

I wish you and atlsfinest atlsfinest would just say "What matters to me most is my entertainment," so we could just stop pretending to be having a debate we're not really having.

You quoted a stat earlier where you said, I think, 400 people in the college age range have died from covid among 400,000 who have tested positive. That's what, 1 in 1,000? I may have gotten your numbers wrong but lets say that's what they were: there are 16,000 college football players, so essentially you're agreeing that if all the teams played that statistically about 16 players will die from covid this year, including 1 or 2 in the Power 5 right?

You're making the huge assumption that literally every single one of the 16,000+ college football players contracts COVID when that's nearly impossible. The exposure rate for the nation as a whole is less than 1%:lol:

Yes N41D N41D and I are monsters! Monsters, I tell you! :rofl:

You're making the huge assumption that literally every single one of the 16,000+ college football players contracts COVID when that's nearly impossible. The exposure rate for the nation as a whole is less than 1%:lol:

Right. :lol: Again - let's skew to most dramatic doomsday scenario possible. It's silly.

Even if you wanna project that specific data out, how many of those 400 deaths were younger people with pre-existing conditions? How many of the met the "high-risk" labels? That's guaranteed to not be an insignificant number.

I couldn't care less about my entertainment. I'm literally sitting at home with nowhere else to go with a wife and a toddler. I cannot and will not sit down on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays and watch football nonstop. This isn't going to be some massive break or mental reprieve for me.

Even with how much I follow the NBA, I'm watching bits and pieces of games here and there. By and large I'm looking at box scores. It's not changed much for me.

As they should. A lot of these kids have already made their nut. If you're a solid R1 kid, get outta dodge and go make your money.

yup.. certain guys shouldnt even be waiting on their conferences.. should have BEEN opted out, go hire an agent and then start draft prep

The guys that opt out and sign with an agent have 8 whole months to enjoy the money. I fear for some guys being thrust into this new found freedom with money. Good luck to them

Some of you guys are framing it like "these poor young black men are being dragged from their homes and forced to play college football for our entertainment when they clearly don't want to" (I'm black by the way so miss me with that "you don't get it" stuff)

Most of these guys want to play and for those who don't want to play they can easily opt out. Just because they're not making the decision you want them to make or that you would make yourself, doesn't make it a bad decision.

don’t think it’s that simple.. we know football coaches operate on power and don’t have the kids best interest at heart

literally had a story about a college telling kids not to report symptoms.. and then we had a story with the power BS Iowa pulls (I mean dudes were bad mouthing George flippin kittle to teams prior to the draft)

and even without that you have football people who just have problematic views on the whole that aren’t taking this thing seriously even at this point

The nation as a whole isn't playing football... People are already getting pneumonia, myocarditis, and numerous other conditions from just riding the bus to work. What don't you get about football being more dangerous than the situations almost everyone else got covid through. Or are we going to keep going in this circle?

The guys that opt out and sign with an agent have 8 whole months to enjoy the money. I fear for some guys being thrust into this new found freedom with money. Good luck to them

aint going be big money, though

this ain’t the NBA where guys are signing huge sneaker deals

some guys will get solid money (the QBs and maybe jamar chase).. some of the others will make decent money

until those guys get drafted, they ain’t making BIG money.. they’ll be able to take out loans and stuff

The nation as a whole isn't playing football... People are already getting pneumonia, myocarditis, and numerous other conditions from just riding the bus to work. What don't you get about football being more dangerous than the situations almost everyone else got covid through. Or are we going to keep going in this circle?
You realize pneumonia and myocarditis are potential side effects to go along with nearly every single viral or bacterial infection under the sun, right?

And there's no statistically significant data to indicate it's more prevalent with COVID than any other common cold.

some guys will get solid money (the QBs and maybe jamar chase).. some of the others will make decent money

until those guys get drafted, they ain’t making BIG money.. they’ll be able to take out loans and stuff
yeah, I'm speaking strictly about loans.

8 months is a long time.

8 months is a long time.

that’s why I assume even if the nfl moves the draft back, it’s going be a longer process

i assume the smart teams are going be all over guys.. so I don’t know if they’ll necessarily be on their own really.. think a lot of teams going use it as an opportunity to see how guys handle shh

The nation as a whole consist of a huge range of ages and levels of health. In football, we're talking specifically about a group of 18 to 23-year-old men almost all of whom are healthy (there are obvious exceptions like Trey Smith who shouldn't play). Yes, football is more dangerous than living your life normally but that should be up to each individual player (and their families) as to which they're willing to accept that risk, they don't need nako xl nako xl to make that decision for them.

You're right that at this point we're just talking in circles. We can just agree to disagree. Please miss me with the moral high horse, "you only want them to play because of your own selfish desires" BS though.

8 months is a long time.

This is America. Some shady businessmen will front players a lot of money, charge some crazy interest rate and then put them in a bad spot financially if you don't get drafted high.

They'll gladly offer a sixth round pick a million-dollar loan now ("against future earnings") and then take their whole rookie contract later. Hopefully these guys have good people around them.

I wonder how recruiting is going to look this upcoming cycle. With all but a handful of conferences canceling football in the Fall, will any schools be allowed to have official visits? I would assume not as to not give ACC, SEC, Big 12 in the fall and unfair advantage (I don't see how the NCAA can stop recruits from "stopping by campus" for games). Or will schools be willing to have recruits enter their "bubbles" for visits?

I would assume we would push back/cancel the early signing period and move back National Signing Day as well but I'm just speculating.

Back
Top Bottom